Attention Book Group

Feedback required:

1. The Practice has 200+ chapters which converts into an unknown number of pages (I have the audio book :disguised_face:)
  2. and with only meeting once a month for 30 minutes
  3. how many chapters or pages do we want to cover?

Think on it and post your thoughts. I have no wish to race through the book. It is chocked full of juicy ideas
AP

I don’t

3 Likes

What if the “presenter” for each meeting, selected the chapter??

Each presenter could create a new topic, (like “Book club meeting Feb 28”) and then tell everyone what they’ve picked. Everyone would then have time to read it in advance. Conversations and discussion before and after the meeting can live on in that topic…

@ideaclub

2 Likes

@craigconstantine - good idea. I’ll edit and add!

2 Likes

…also see the larger discussion of wait wat there’s a book group?

2 Likes

No, @craigconstantine @craigconstantine
Don’t like the idea of presenter choosing their pages for a great many reasons

Mary make a thread to seek consensus from group (being very Quaker) you’re the convenience not the decider

AP

3 Likes

@AnnieP no problem - @craigconstantine asked if I should ask you first - I made the wrong call. Got it. Will fix right now!

2 Likes

It’s okay, @maryjlrowe
You are not wrong, just enthusiastic :disguised_face::heart:
Btw will you be sending the practice book soon?

AnnieP

2 Likes

@Annie and @ChristiCassidy - it is very EASY for me to send them tomorrow by UPS - much faster than US Post from here so you should both have by Thursday, more likely Wednesday, better tracking etc. Thanks so much for letting me do this!

1 Like

@AnnieP - is the post OK now Annie?

2 Likes

You are too cute, @maryjlrowe
Your gift will get plenty of use
AnnieP (she/her) :heart:

1 Like

@AnnieP @craigconstantine - I really don’t want to rush either and would like to come away with a sense that I truly OWN the concepts and have absorbed the principles enough to live The Practice. A chapter a month would be 16+ years. Maybe we should decide how long we want to spend on the book. Interest might diminish if too long. Can we find a sweet spot? Examples ONLY: if we say 6 months, then the math puts it at around 33 Chapters a month (8 to 9 a week). If we say 8 months - 25 a month, 6 a week - 10 Months, 20 a month, 4 a week etc. At this point, I am leaning towards 10 months - 10 meetings. NOT for every book but this one is so rich. If we come to an easy mutual understanding, should we add this to the Launch Post as a proposal or a starting framework?

1 Like

LOL @maryjlrowe
Just because the assignment is , for example sake, 10 chapters, it will be up to the presenter to decide what they want to focus on. Likewise, the members of each breakout can then decide whether they Use the presenters focus or speak about what made the greatest impact on them.

What I think I am asking is does the group want the next 11 months to be about the practice or do we cover the book in 6 months

Trust the learner, Mary to make the best choice for them
AnnieP

1 Like

Thanks @AnnieP - assuming “the group” is the BookClub Group?

Are you and I deciding a span of time between ourselves - simply to present a frame to start with?

It’s an important question and also I like what you said about the Learner and the options available to the Presenter.

What would you suggest? I’m good with anywhere between 6 to 11 months myself. Together with the others, we can make it work but I’m uncertain how to establish a time span.

2 Likes

Ah, @maryjlrowe
Let me make that clear in a separate thread. Things have gotten quite cloudy with this one.

Will take care of it later tonight
AP

2 Likes

@Annie - agree. Thanks so much! Also I just sent you a link to an earlier post where Craig clarifies that the BookClub is open to everyone. Here is is again. Launching a Book Club - starting with The Practice by Seth Godin - #4 by craig

2 Likes

@craigconstantine
Ahhhh! where is our poll? Man, this isn’t as vast as forwardlink and I am already kuffled.
Thanks, AP

Thank you, @craigconstantine
AnnieP

1 Like