Spotlight: Show your work

spotlight

“Show your work” is a really big idea; It’s important, empowering, clarifying and totally not mine.

It’s come up a couple times here in the Podcaster Community, and with this Spotlight I want to challenge each of us to explore this idea more fully. Discover this idea. Understand it. Believe it. Embrace it. Integrate it. Then…

Show your work.

:thinking: This topic is one of the Podcaster Community’s occasional Spotlights.

Each spotlight is an opportunity for the entire Podcaster Community: To provide deep, generous feedback on someone’s work; To brainstorm and give first-impressions on someone’s idea; To investigate or problem-solve someone’s issue.

What exactly is “show your work”?

The phrase bundles up several ideas from Austin Kleon’s, Show Your Work! . Kleon urges—I’m vastly over-simplifying here!—creatives to share their processes, not just their final products, in order to build meaningful connections. He emphasizes the importance of daily sharing, teaching what you know, and telling compelling stories about your work to engage and inspire.

:exploding_head: The Podcaster Community itself is me teaching what I know… in a space where you can also teach what you know. Yes, in the Podcaster Community I’m showing you my work. :exploding_head:

I believe this book is mandatory reading for indie podcasters. I wish someone had shoved it into my hands (cf bibliofervor, as I’m doing to you now) the day before I started thinking about podcasting.

If you aren’t already embracing “show your work”, you will be mentally pushing back against what I’m saying here. I understand that, and I very much want to ALSO hear your points during this Spotlight.

:fire: Show your work quickly became an Internet movement. Go anywhere and search for it. You’ll find #showyourwork or show-your-work has search results and dedicated tags and categories on every internet platform. Also :warning: it’s a huge rabbit hole, time sink. Please don’t judge the idea by what other people consider to be their work. This is a rabbit hole; Go around it if the idea is new, or already feels overwhelming.

Ready?

Sorry, you have to read the book. It’s small format and short, so you can power through it in one sitting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here’s a taste…

Yes, bonus points if you use my Show Your Work! affiliate book link. But however you get a copy, you need one. (I personally use https://abebooks.com a ton.)

People like us read things like this.

Set…

I have one question I want to use to drive our discussion…

What would people see, if you actually showed your work?

Yes, we’re podcasters, but what—be extremely specific—is the actual work that you do?

And we all know—indie podcasters, amiright?!—we do many things. Which are necessary? Which are nice-to-have? Which (oh my!) should I actually stop doing?

Rats, this is going to be a list, isn’t it?

Yeup, figuring this out is a critical part of Kleon’s entire idea.

This is not the same question as where and how are you to show your work. That comes after you figure out…

GO!

What would people see, if I actually showed my work?

~ You, just now!

1 Like

@members there’s a live Zoom tomorrow for this Spotlight topic…

May 14, 2024 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Should be 2024-05-14T19:00:00Z in your local time.

Join Zoom Meeting :arrow_down:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83470868374?pwd=aTRyVzY3bGdGKzFHLzg0QVVVdldIUT09

Meeting ID: 834 7086 8374
Passcode: 584754

1 Like

Bummed - I have to be on a train tomorrow. If you record it, I’ll check it out after. Thinking of everybody.

1 Like

…this Spotlight’s Zoom call starts in ~half an hour.

Video

Takeaways

Exploring the idea of visibility in creative processes — discussing how exposing the steps and missteps in podcast production can enhance community engagement and personal accountability.

The role of feedback in creative work — considering whether continuous feedback is necessary or if it becomes overwhelming, and how to tailor feedback moments to when they’re most beneficial.

Reimagining engagement strategies — reflecting on past engagement methods, like scheduled feedback sessions, and how these can be adapted or improved to fit current community dynamics.

The concept of documenting and sharing the mundane details of creative work — emphasizing the importance of showing everyday tasks and decisions to demystify the process and encourage others.

The challenge of defining ‘the work’ — exploring what tasks are essential in podcasting, such as guest outreach versus audio editing, and prioritizing these effectively.

The influence of technology on productivity — discussing how tools like AI for writing show notes can streamline processes but require careful management to ensure quality.

The balance between curating content and managing workload — understanding that not all recorded material should be used and the importance of discerning what aligns best with podcast goals.

The psychological barriers to productivity — acknowledging the mental blocks that prevent starting or completing tasks, and how addressing these can lead to more efficient work habits.

The importance of community in solitary activities — stressing that finding or creating a community of like-minded individuals can provide support and motivation, especially in typically isolated activities like podcasting.

The value of teaching and learning within communities — highlighting how sharing knowledge and experiences can enhance understanding and passion for one’s own projects and those of others.