🤔 Naming our audiences

Naming our audiences

I recently had a conversation with Danny Bauer (for an episode of season 4 of Podtalk which begins soon) where we talked about “naming your audience.” One example he gave is…

Do you feel like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole? This podcast is for you.

This was a quake moment for me. In order to name the audience, I have to know who the audience is. I’m well aware I’m supposed to know “who’s it for?” It’s one thing to know “who it’s for?” and to be able to answer that when asked. (This community even has a topic, Who's it for? )

But it’s very different to go from the “who’s it for?” and craft something that goes into a show opening and lands with listeners.

Much has been said—rightly so—about Eric Nuzum’s exercise of describing your podcast in 12 (or 10, or how about 9?) words. So with this idea of “naming the audience” I’m left thinking I should craft the way I name the audience for my shows.

Naming my audiences

I’m currently thinking about how to name the audience for both Podtalk, Movers Mindset and for the new incarnation of the Open + Curious podcast which is in development.

Then, that needs to be blended into my show designs. So here’s my thinking about show openings…

How I think an episode should start

For the “here’s a conversation” type of show, below is how I think a podcast episode should begin. I’ve long believed and said that there is a correct design for the initial moments of a podcast. The art of podcasting is then—if you want to—doing it your own way.

The order of these isn’t so important, but one should include…

• Name of the show
  • Name the audience.
  • Name of the speaker(s)
  • Short description of the show
  • What is this episode

…to which I’ve just added that second item. From now on, I’m saying there are five things.

I think that’s the best way to serve both the long-time listeners and the first-time listeners. Given more time, one can refine and expand that opening by writing and recording in post-production. Pressed for time, I simply read it right into the recording with the guest.

Also, the show may begin with an excerpt from the episode. This is optional, since doing this requires non-trivial post-production work. But this sort of “cold open” is a great way to start. I don’t do this since time is my limiting resource in podcasting.

My minimum viable openings

All of which has led me to craft the following, minimum viable openings which I read directly in, as I begin recording with a guest.

Podtalk…

Hello, I’m Craig Constantine. Welcome to Podtalk… short conversations with podcast creators, which are not just about podcasting. Because I like to take the scenic route. My guest today is Guesty McGuest. Welcome Guesty. How are you today?

Movers Mindset…

Hello, I’m Craig Constantine. Welcome to the Movers Mindset podcast, where I talk with movement enthusiasts to learn who they are, what they do, and why they do it. My guest today is Guesty McGuest. Welcome Guesty. How are you today?

…and of course what’s going to happen with Open + Curious is still being decided.

É•

1 Like

@craigconstantine

Thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts on this key topic. Absolutely love your Movers Mindset opening.

Are you passionate about creating amazing podcasts?

Terrific!

You are in the right place.

This leapt into my mind yesterday. So I tried it with @Suzi as we recorded an episode of Podtalk.

Here’s the episode’s opening seconds:

(2024-01-18, Naming the audience, 22s, mp3)

Does that resonate for you? …does it make go: Oh! Yes, that’s me!

É•

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.