What should one do to ensure a podcast "lasts"?

There are two branches to that question:

“Last” as in exists: Many years from now, it can still be easily found, listened to, and understood. (By understood, I mean the contexts in which it made sense when produced, still make sense years later.)

and…

“Lasts” as in continues living: The show continues to be produced beyond “pod fade.” The show doesn’t have some in-built reason why it has to end. Etc.

My first thoughts…

exists — I know of one podcast show in particular, that I loved when I listened, and it has subsequently disappeared—you literally cannot listen to it now. At the extreme end, the U.S. Library of Congress [and other large institutions] has a media [of all types] archival arm.

After it disappeared, I contacted the creator (whom I already knew personally) and was given the MP3 audio files. But simply having those files doesn't [in my opinion] give me the right to put it back up as a show; even if I ignored the costs of hosting it well.

living — I think this is a question of planning ahead: Does the original creator (or team) have everything… original audio files, notes, documents, guest waivers, broadcast files, login accounts/passwords… organized in some way that the project can grow and contract as people are added, move on, or even die?

1 Like

This is really a good concept for podcasters to explore. Is this a legacy podcast?
On a somewhat related note, is there a way to search podcast content somewhere, so that if I am looking online for information about Holocaust survivors, for example, will my interview with Vladimir Munk show up? Or is that only a remote possibility if the “key keyword” happens to be part of an episode title (or are those even searched)?

1 Like

To be clear: My question isn’t about any specific podcast. It’s meant to be an “in general” question about podcasting.

(I did provide an example of a specific experience I had.)

Understood @craigconstantine. Just thinking aloud.

1 Like

@craigconstantine - As if on cue…

1 Like