How to Organize Audios?

@pod10 @pod-alumni

I would appreciate any tips on how to set up my audio files - raw recordings, edited versions, final versions, clips, music, trailers, cover art…

I’m barely starting and I can already see this getting out of hand quickly.

With appreciation,
Jayne

8 Likes

Hey.

I’m on a Mac. But this should work on a Pc.

In my podcast folder I create a master template folder that I call PodcastName-000. I put necessary files in there. Image templates. Text templates. Adobe audition project files. A finals folder. Anything I might need to publish my episode.

Then when I start an episode, I duplicate the 000 folder and call the new one 002. I open and edit those files. If I use a new image, I put that file in the 001 folder, for example.

I also have a checklist text doc with steps A to Z that I edit and change as I go.

Make sense?

8 Likes

I use Audacity to edit.

My podcast has very minimal edits. I record on Zoom or iPhone. Take the MP4 files and put into Audacity, clip and export to MP3.

Most people here I’m sure would agree that keeping it simple and building completely as you go is the best approach.

2 Likes

Jayne, great question and you’re smart to ask it before things get out of hand.

Like @DavidB, I have a master folder that I duplicate for each episode. I also use checklists so I don’t have to remember everything. Hey, if emergency rooms use a checklist that has 5 things on it so health care providers don’t forget to wash their hands, then it makes sense for something with more steps.

One thing I’d encourage you to do is figure out your naming conventions and use them consistently.

For example, below are mine.
These folders go in a file called Episode Construction:
EpisodeName_RAW = the recording WAV file I download from Riverside and will upload to Descript
EpisodeName_pD = the recording after I’ve edited it in Descript that will be uploaded to Audacity
EpisodeName_t0.0 = the Audacity file with the Descript edited file. As I work my way through the audio, the t0.0 gets updated with wherever I am in the timestamp.
EpisodeName_MM.SS (minutes.seconds lengthofaudio)_FINALalltracks = final edit in Audacity
EpisodeName_MM.SS_EXPORT = the export from Audacity that gets uploaded to Auphonic

This folder goes in my published episodes folder:
YYYY.MM.DD_EpisodeName_M.SSpa = the WAV file downloaded from Auphonic. The YYYY.MM.DD is the date it will be published

7 Likes

Good stuff @JuleKucera

My naming convention is this.

Project code-EpisodeNumber-Title

So,

DBSP-000-Title-With-dashes.mp3

Image files have a large resolution number width a web sized number width and the added code TN for thumbnail.

DBSP-000-Title-With-dashes-TN-3000.psd
DBSP-000-Title-With-dashes-TN-1080.jpg

I can search by date so I don’t use the date in the file name, but I like the idea and may use it!

5 Likes

@DavidB @jensen @JuleKucera

Thank you all for the great tips, especially on naming conventions. So very helpful.

I plan to use DropBox for file storage versus a remote drive. Do you have any additional thoughts about archive and backup files?

1 Like

https://constantine.name/2020/06/26/some-thoughts-on-file-organization/

4 Likes

@craigconstantine Thank you!

1 Like

I have only 2 small points to add.
I use the “yyyymmdd” format as part of my file naming system for many projects. It’s a little old school, inherited from a time when it wasn’t so easy to search for files, but it continues to serve me well so I carry it on with podcasting files and in many areas.

On archiving, I am terrible at this. So far, I have the luxury of being able to keep everything. This will not last. When the day comes when I have to start deleting, I will be ready.

The final cut is labeled as such and it lives in its own folder. My pre-meditated plan is to delete everything that isn’t the final cut.

You have to prune whatever does not serve the future.

Thank you for this question. I’ve enjoyed reading this thread.

6 Likes

@natalie I use the same date format for my files too!

This has been such great information. Setting up my files as I’m sending this message :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Jayne,

I also go for: episodeNumber_year-month-day-hour-time_edit_descriptionOfTheEdit

For me, file naming should help with three things.

1. While editing my episode, keeping track of the edits I’m making to my episode, redundancy is good here, and I’m expecting to delete many versions once the show is published. The goal is to revert to a previous version if I mess up.

2. I am noting versions of the file where I can make key changes after I’ve published. For example, suppose I want to change my music - I will mark the version before the piece is added so I can add different music.

3. Noting the key edits is always helpful—for example, pre or post-Auphonic, noise reduction etc.

I prefer using date and time stamps because it’s easy to track the latest version of the main podcast file. And it also helps track how long it’s taking me to create and publish an episode.

So it’s about:

• Helping the editing process
  • Easily changing published episodes
  • Keeping archival files.
4 Likes

Such a great and timely question @Jayne !
Am so glad you asked it because the GBs are adding up quickly and are far too disorganized.

5 Likes

@pod10

Thank you @craigconstantine @Ron @DavidB @jensen @JuleKucera @Jey @Nat for the great tips.

All organized now! It took longer than I thought, but I can now find things and have a filing structure :+1:

5 Likes

Care to write up a brief summary as a reply? (and then mark your reply as the :heavy_check_mark: Solution)

1 Like

I’m jealous… and still very far from organized :laughing:

1 Like

How to Organize Audios - Solution :white_check_mark:

@pod10

Here’s how I organized things:

I use Dropbox as my data container and created a “Podcast” file under my “Ship Today” Masterfile (everything I intend to work on).

For all documents, I use YYYY.MM.DD_Name_Version

For the podcast audio files: YYYY.MM.DD_Podcast Episode_Guest Name_Version

Archive Files:

• POD9 and POD10 references and notes

Audio Management Files:

• Anchor Episodes: Trailer and Season Folders (Final Edit, Transcripts, Episode Notes, Research Notes)
  • Intro | Outro
  • Music
  • Cover Art

Guest Management Files:

• Email Sequence
  • Guest List
  • Question Structure

Interview Files:

• Raw Recordings & Guest Research

Checklist Files:

• Podcast Process
  • Audacity| Auphonic Editing Notes
  • Podcast Prepflight

I’m sure it will morph over time as I do more editing or if I have editing help at some point. For now, it feels good to know where things are.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jayne for a great overview and summary of a clear and practical system of file organization for us budding podsters

Thanks @Jayne for this! I’ve just reorganised my files inspired by your solution :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Ron Thank you. Surprising how long it took me to go through files. I tend to keep everything :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@CaroH I’m so glad you found it helpful. You never know when you need to access something quickly :two_hearts: