First Podcaster Community gathering

I’m thrilled with the responses from everyone so far, and I want to get together so we can chat. I’d love to hear your questions and suggestions. I’m happy to talk about what we’ve built so far and what’s next.

Scheduled Zoom meeting…

Time: Jun 10, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
That’s 2021-06-10T19:00:00Z your time.

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81302148743?pwd=dDZYZHJPM3k3Yng0eG5zcFhvUUQ3UT09

4 Likes

Will hop on if I can. Grandson visit then.

2 Likes

Sorry to miss this. I could do an hour earlier but not at this time. Looking forward to hearing what comes of this discussion. Thank you for creating this space @craigconstantine

3 Likes

If anyone shows up :laughing: , I’ll record it and post the video here.

4 Likes

I will try. Slot’s open, but …

3 Likes

You could always wear a series of hats and talk to yourself about various topics/ issues. :blush:

4 Likes

don’t encourage the behavior

3 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, @craigconstantine, I’ll try not to…

2 Likes

I’m loving this idea! Okay if I steal it?

3 Likes

@AnetteCarlisle the sound is better and you don’t have to worry much about cross-talk. You can interrupt all you like.

3 Likes

So much to like about it… you are right. @thearena

4 Likes

Sadly I will have to miss today - sudden need for meeting tech for a charity so I am tied up.

Catch you all soon

-Steve
@craigconstantine

3 Likes

Thanks @craigconstantine and @ric for all the ideas. Of course I get lost with tech talk (when you start discussing your expertise in creating the plugins and such) but I’m amazed with the possibilities those skills can generate.

Love the idea of a curated newsletter weekly because I am getting ready to turn off all (well almost all) the announcements I receive. It’s noisy, as Ric said.

I think you two have fantastic skills and experience! I want to learn more about Discourse. I signed up for Discord but my concern on seeing it was too many groups unless I pay for other levels.

Thank you, Craig.

2 Likes

Sorry to miss tonight. I hope you’ll post a video. Look forward to the next one!

Busy with grandkid playing in sand and water in 102 degrees this afternoon . . . . :slight_smile:

…I didn’t record. That was an intentional choice—I think conversations are better when they’re ephemeral.

Tons of great ideas from several people who showed up. I’m already tinkering on some changes. Three things coming next…

• Going to expand what people can do as soon as they create an account. (It’s free to do that for anyone.) Some of the areas in #public will become open for people to post/reply/interact.
  • Discourse gets “noisy” very quickly. If one has the time, one can keep up and one can get really good at tuning notifications etc. I’m looking at adding a members-only feature (so, for those who choose to pay) where you can get a single weekly email that would contain only the things I think are worthy of your attention. I’ll explain this more clearly when I have all the details set up. But in general, you can then entirely disable all the email from Discourse, and you could also turn off all the notifications too. Then opt-into the weekly email and “sip” at the best-of-the-best each week.
  • The first podcast recordings are already scheduled for next week. I’m still working through getting the podcast published into Apple et al. But it will be immediately available via embedded players in the #public:listen category.
1 Like

Thanks, @craigconstantine for sharing some notes on progress. These features, especially the weekly email sip, are appealing.

^ This is done.

And hat-top to @rob who msg’d me asking a question that revealed I’d made a mistake yesterday in the doing. :laughing:

@trust_level_0

2 Likes

I’m working on this. There’s a bit of tech that I have to add in the middle to be able to make what shows up in the weekly email be concise and easy to read.

I love the idea that members who subscribe and support the site, can then use this weekly, human-curated, email to stay in touch— while being able to silence everything else that can be a problem with a noisy Discourse community.

3 Likes

:laughing:
I was thinking about the benefits side so thanks for posting this too.
Cheers
Rob

2 Likes