Field Recorders: Zoom Podtrack 4 vs H6e

I’m about to hit the road!
I do this every year and am fortunate to often work in venues which can provide SM58s and XLR cables. I usually travel with my Focusrite 2i2 but this year, I want to be able to record 2, perhaps 3 guests at a time. So I’ve been down the field recorder rabbit hole. When I thought this day would come, I always thought I’d get a Zoom H6 of some sort but…

I see they have released a Podtrak P4next. It has some features I won’t use like the inbuilt compression, NR and sound pads. I do like that it can handle mix-minus. It’s something I haven’t needed so far, but from what I understand, mix-minus can be a bit fiddly, so this might be a handy feature.

Meanwhile, is anyone using the H6? If so,

  • do you know if you can toggle phantom power for each input?
  • I’ve started using an inline pre-amp, which requires phantom power. I didn’t used to use the pre-amp for my SM58. What is the gain like? Can I get away without a pre-amp? I like travelling light
  • The sound purist in me likes the idea of 32-bit float. I don’t usually clip audio, but I have had guests who clip. That’s been with remote recording and I suspect its harder to clip using a SM58 in a live recording. Yeah nah?

Any other thoughts on the Podtrak P4, H6e or any other field recorder? Hoping for all the usual (to me) things: lightweight, compact, sturdy, simple set up and great sound quality for up to 4 guests (including me).

that’s COOL @Suzi !

The Zoom H6 has been my only recorder now for years.

yes, phantom power can be enabled per XLR. I normally don’t use any attachments on the socket—I even leave the X-Y mics in the case and just put the plastic socket cover on it to make it seem even more “polite” when I lay it on the table and start wiring it up.

I never use its internal batteries. Instead I bought a small power bring and I carry the right USB cable (the H6’s has one of those “micro” i think it’s called) to an old style USB on the brick. The brick I have has multiple USBs so I also use it to power a small headphone amplifier. That enables me to have four sets of headphones (me plus three guests) and everyone gets a volume. Not your use case, but perhaps your preamp(s) could be directly powered. Just thinking out loud. You definitely can use phantom power with the H6’s — I had to look, yes, it really does have a battery door Craig :slight_smile: — inside batteries.