Podcasting guide for children learners

Hiya, Podcasting Peeps!

Does anyone know of a ‘how to book’ for children to create a podcast?
Thanks, AP (she/her)

3 Likes

@AnnieP WOW - no - but your query is generating idea upon idea.

2 Likes

LOL @maryjlrowe these days it doesn’t take much to get you little gray cells going, does it?
AP

2 Likes

@AnnieP - guess not, have had LOTS of the Practice when it comes to ideas! Really, I can just hear the kids. Truly love it. Don’t know if in all the millions of programs, a child produced/hosted podcast actually exists.

Oh, a thought appeared and it compels me to mention or tag @Jey here.

I read a sci-fi book or story or ??? loooooong time ago. Premise: one morning everybody 12 and under woke up TALL. The adults woke up way too short to drive, operate equipment or do anything significant. So the children were effectively in charge of the world. :wink:

3 Likes

@AnnieP @maryjlrowe

Great conversation! How old are the children you’re targeting/the book might target?

@NicoleColter, hope all is well! Do you have suggestions for Annie?

3 Likes

Hey @maryjlrowe and @AnnieP yeah that seems like a modest money maker!

I don’t know of any book (that doesn’t mean there isn’t one) for kids but every year NPR run a competition for students that has great resources and have young people giving advice via video. And you can hear entries too. The student resources are great and I regularly steal articles for the Akimbo workshops!

The resources are split between info for Grades 5-12 or college students.

https://studentpodcastchallenge22.splashthat.com/

3 Likes

I’m volunteering on a large project. The target population are all children, but the juicy segment—is 10 to 14. Think late elementary-early middle school here in the states. Their minds aren’t stuck and they are willing to change and think outside the box.

I was hoping there was already a resource out there for these young podcasters
Thanks for asking :disguised_face:
AP

2 Likes

Thanks, @Jey
AP

1 Like

Happy to help @AnnieP.

You’ve really got me thinking about this. Because the really deep question, for me, is why would a kid want to create a podcast versus creating a channel on TikTok, Snap, Youtube or whatever? Unless their parents are bullying them into it.

I like podcasts because it allows me to multi-task. But kids have all the time in the world. And peer pressure is an overwhelming force force youngsters. But on the plus side, I guess for podcasts physical appearance doesn’t matter so maybe it levels the playing field in that way?

When I was explaining my show to my son (who was seven at the time) the first question he asked me was how many “likes” do I get!

1 Like

@AnnieP @Lovelace - we call that age group Junior Youth - most critical crossroads in a young persons life! Had a Junior Group that met here weekly, for years. Initially, my friend and I literally went door to door to find them. So scary, only had to do it once though, after that they invited each other (with the approval of their adult of course). Bless you Annie and your large project with that age group. You said it, they are ready to TALK about the discrepancies they see, their ideas, what they feel, want and so many are ready to lead and do. Comes up naturally! And they are so aware! Volunteering is where so much extraordinary good occurs. Thank you @Jey for the link!

Oh, just read a post by @Jey that I missed - which has an excellent point. Our younguns might have done it as a panel, as 3 or more, or as a group. They liked being video tapped, especially when they did plays or led a lesson. This was around 2010 to 2013.

1 Like

No, but my 10 year old grandson had a podcast for about a dozen episodes. I helped him very little. He used Anchor.
https://anchor.fm/techeye/

3 Likes

Hi @AnnieP,

The structure of this approach might be of interest.

3 Likes

Haha, @taniamarien
Of course you would know this. Thank you. And of course you know who I’m thinking about for our target population :disguised_face:
AnnieP

2 Likes

My son listens to dozens of episodes per week, either while building LEGO things or while getting dressed/undressed, taking a shower, etc.

He doesn’t like to be alone in the room he’s in and podcasts keep him company when there aren’t adults around. (He’s an only.)

And we won’t let him make online content with his face showing, which eliminates a good bit of what might be entertaining on TikTok.

3 Likes

Thanks @Heat
I was the same way about my kids and
their images
AnnieP

1 Like

Thanks @DannyvLHealthHats
AnnieP

Really interesting as I was convinced kids didn’t listen to podcasts! I’m very pleased to be corrected.

And I agree - Anchor.fm/Spotify is just perfect for kids to create a podcast. All they literally need is a phone!

3 Likes

Oh, golly just when we should be forgetting the ‘S’ word even exists. And not just because of Joe rogin but it pays artists nothing (watch India arie’s interview with Trevor Noah)

Yes, Heat just gave the proof to something I suspected. Plus voice only clears away a lot of biases not all but many that are triggered by sight like color, weight, physical handicaps.

Hurray for podcasters!
@Lovelace @Jey @DannyvLHealthHats @Heat @maryjlrowe

2 Likes

Enjoying this thread, @AnnieP and others!

1 Like

@Anna
I’m sending you the entire thread so you can see the resources that everyone chipped in.
AnnieP