Campfire: Sunday, Feb 25, 2024

2024-02-25 Campfire

@supporters @pod-alumni February 25th is the Sunday Campfire Zoom call for February!

Sunday, February 25th - 3pm Eastern US/NYC

That should be 2024-02-25T20:00:00Z in your timezone. :arrow_backward: that auto-conversion to display in your local time works if you are reading this on the Podcaster Community at https://podcaster.community/.

Video, notes and takeaways will be posted as replies to this topic. Hope to see you there!

Call link

Zoom Call link :arrow_down_small:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81433864177?pwd=eXkvNEQvS3JPM1ArZzZFbFEyWUNTQT09

Meeting ID: 814 3386 4177
Passcode: 186587

What’s a campfire?

Campfires are our twice-monthly (usually, 2nd Saturdays and last Sundays) gatherings where you can share your ideas and passion for podcasting in a social setting.

About the Campfires category has the details— including how to make them appear automatically on your calendar.

ɕ

2 Likes

@supporters @pod-alumni today’s Campfire starts in about 3 hours :smiley: hope to see you there!

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing everyone -

1 Like

Wish I could join everyone today. I have a meeting scheduled at the same time every last Sunday.

Have a wonderful day!

1 Like

We covered an ENORMOUS amount of interesting stuff in this campfire! This a campfire you will definitely want to spend the hour watching this video.

Seriously, there are an INSANE amount of resources listed at the bottom here…

@supporters @pod-alumni @ideaclub @steveh @Mark @Hoagie @ChristiCassidy (gang, I don’t think Charles is here??) @susanne10

Video of the campfire

Takeaways

Exploring AI in content creation — AI tools like ChatGPT and Descript can significantly aid in generating content and editing, though they have limitations in terms of creating nuanced stories or understanding complex copyright issues.

Copyright considerations — It’s crucial to understand and navigate copyright laws when incorporating others’ work into your content, such as music or interview excerpts.

Creative process and storytelling — The creative process can benefit from AI, but true storytelling and connection with the audience often require a human touch and consideration of audience interests and expectations.

Audience engagement and feedback — Engaging with your audience and seeking feedback can be invaluable for content improvement, but it requires overcoming fear of criticism and imposter syndrome.

Podcast production techniques — Techniques such as recording narration with background music in mind and using AI for preliminary content creation can enhance the quality and engagement of podcasts.

Collaboration and networking — Sharing resources, ideas, and potential guest contacts within a community can lead to valuable collaborations and enhance podcast content.

Self-publishing challenges and opportunities — Navigating the self-publishing world, especially for books, presents challenges such as marketing and layout design but also offers creative freedom and control over the final product.

The importance of music licensing — Understanding and adhering to music licensing rules is essential for integrating music into podcasts, with specific challenges around obtaining rights and avoiding legal issues.

Podcast guest selection and diversity — Mixing up guest selections and themes can keep content fresh and engaging, and considering guests’ stories in relation to the podcast’s theme is crucial for coherence.

Personal project management — Managing personal projects, like book writing or podcast production, requires strategic planning, such as deciding on the number of stories or episodes and the overall project timeline.

Resources and links

• ChatGPT — An AI tool developed by OpenAI for generating text-based content. Craig continues to say he’s going to do a long write-up showing how he uses it to do episode notes.
  • Descript — A digital editing platform designed for podcasters and video creators.
  • Zencastr — A tool for podcasters to record high-quality audio remotely.
  • Podium — A platform for podcast transcription and possibly for generating show notes.
  • The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson — A book discussing innovation at the intersection of different fields and cultures.
  • Take It From the Iron Woman — Susanne Mueller’s podcast
  • Take It From the Iron Woman — Susanne Mueller’s book
  • Desert Island Discs — A long-running radio programme by the BBC where guests share the soundtrack of their lives. Also a podcast — this came up because they publish differing lengths of music in the two mediums.
  • Seeing Them Live — Charles Zona’s podcast about memorable concert experiences.
  • Connection Requested — Mark Tweddle’s podcast mentioned as being in a state of reinvention, focusing on the power of storytelling to connect people.
  • Intimate Fame — Podcast edited by Mark Tweddle (see also Audio Drama - with Scott Edward Smith for a related Podtalk episode) referred to as a podcast that plays like a drama, focusing on passion and historical moments.
  • BookLife.com — mentioned by Christi Cassidy from Publishers Weekly for self-published authors and writers who are considering self-publishing.
  • The Sound School Podcast, formerly known as HowSound — A podcast about the ins and outs of radio storytelling.
  • How Sruthi Tracks — Mentioned by Craig as a terrific episode of How Sound, and with stellar insight on how to do tracking (recording the narrative voice tracks of audio).
  • Tracking Partners — Mentioned by Steve Heatherington related to Martine Powers and her tracking.
  • Post Reports by The Washington Post — A daily news podcast.
  • Idea Club — A group here in the Podcaster Community mentioned as a forum for sharing and discussing ideas.
  • Audio Spotlight — The every-Tuesday opportunity here in the Podcaster Community to have your podcasting work or ideas seen by everyone.
    Charles shared this link with me Podcast Release Form: Why and When to Use Them for Guests | Castos about release forms
  • Matchmaker.fm release forms — we talked a lot about release forms for guests.
  • Castos’s release form
  • Gordon Firemarks’ release forms - us attorney who covers podcast legal stuff and wants your email address in exchange for some free stuff, includes an explanatory video clip.
1 Like

@craigconstantine my goodness. That is the most detailed & useful meeting recap that I have ever seen. Many thanks.

1 Like

@craigconstantine
Thanks so much for the great overview and summary of the call. I had hoped to join this session, but couldn’t make it, so I really appreciate the main points and practical links.

Cheers

1 Like

@craigconstantine That is a wonderful set of notes there. I’m super impressed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.