An Open Educational Resource (OER) Podcast

I created a podcast with my students called Deconstructing Management. This work was supported by a small grant from the CT OER Grant Program and now I have to finish writing my grant report.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Creative Commons licensing so I am including the details about the licensing we are using for this podcast.

There’s two parts of the grant report I would love feedback on from this group to make sure I’m not missing anything or misunderstanding anything.

Creative Commons

This podcast is being published with CC-BY 4.0 licensing which means that anyone is free to:

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.

Grant Report Questions

Discuss how your supplemental OER resources will be sustained (maintained, housed, etc.)

The Deconstructing Management podcast is hosted on Anchor.fm, a free platform, and is distributed to other podcast listening platforms via an RSS feed. “Anchor’s mission is to provide easy and powerful podcasting tools for everyone.” Therefore, I believe that so long as Anchor is in business, the audio hosting should continue to be available for free. The audio is also able to be downloaded in M4A version directly from each transcript (link accessible from each episode’s show notes). This allows other professors or students to adapt and modify it.

Suggestions for Use

• Share the podcast with students strictly as optional supplemental material
  • Use the full transcript (available in the Show Notes of each episode), highlight a section and then use the Share Range feature which generates a URL that will play just that section of the interview
  • Download the M4A audio file directly from the full transcript by clicking the three dots in the top right corner of the screen
  • Create your own Descript.com account and request view access to the projects (via email to deconstructingmanagement@gmail.com). This which would allow you to make a copy of the projects to remix, transform, and build upon them in other ways. Using your own copy, you could easily make your own audiograms which could be used as Discussion Prompts etc. I do not believe you would need a paid Descript account to do any of this since that’s only needed to do original transcriptions. FYI - Descript.com currently offers educator accounts for only $5/month if you wanted to do your own transcriptions.
  • Its likely more ideas will develop over time. I’ve created the Deconstructing Management Resource Guide to capture those uses.

Questions

• Do you think I should be that confident in Anchor and Descript? Should I provide any other backup for these podcasts? Any other ways to make them easier to Share and Adapt?

• Can you think of any other uses that I may have missed? Most educators haven’t played around much with audio and so if there are any other suggestions, even if you aren’t sure they feel “educational” I would appreciate your input.

All my work including podcast is Creative Commons for many years, when I went out on my own. Www.health-hats.Com. I’ve had to explain often. congratulations for doing it. I’ve never had an issue. Are you wondering that you might not be credited. It happens. I’ve decided not to respond when it happens. Tell me more.

@DannyvLHealthHats thanks for this question. I hadn’t even thought to be concerned about not getting credited. This is the first podcast I’ve created. When I was in the POD workshop I would marvel at how @craigconstantine maintains his files and I know others save versions as they go along.

I guess the bottom line of my first question was, now that its published via Anchor…and the projects are saved in Descript…is that the only backup I need? Am I done?

The goal with publishing this as CC BY 4.0 is that we want to encourage other professors and students to share and adapt this work and to be able to do that in a self-service way. So I guess here I’m looking for any other tips or tricks that help people to share, download, etc.

I don’t know that many podcasters would expect their listeners to adapt their work, so maybe a better question is…

What are all the ways that you share and adapt your own work over time?
For example, I’ve seen @sanat make some themed episodes where he takes clips from multiple episodes that share a common theme like “the value of mentors” and makes an episode out of that.

Here’s my website https://health-hats.com/
Here’s an episode: Systemic Disparities & Inequities in Maternal Health. Still?

My archiving process is:
I zip up all the files and save to 2 external hard drives. One will break down occasionally. I also save the key files to OneDrive cloud. Key files = original recording set, last pre-Auphonic audio, published mp3, .doc and .pdf of the final transcript, plus the video trailer and ad slides (see below). Here’s the trailer for the episode above Systemic Disparities & Inequities in Maternal Health. Still? Michele Whitt - YouTube

Share for every episode: LinkedIn (Systemic Disparities & Inequities in Maternal Health. Still?) and Medium articles from transcript, daily LinkedIn post from trailer and quotes slides, post once to 7 Facebook pages. I have a YouTube channel with my 2 min episode trailers.

On my website I have theme pages. I use selected pieces from the transcripts in my consulting work.

Do I really need to do all this? No. But it’s evolved and it will continue to evolve depending on my energy and needs.

@NicoleColter and I had a quick Zoom about this and I wanted to share my suggestion here for all to see:

Nicole already has a Google Account for this project. Setup Google Drive for that account.

Create a folder for the materials that the project generated.

In that folder, put a copy of the grant report.

Nicole mentioned she also has a document of resources that she’s been collecting related to this project. If that doc is in Nicole’s personal GDrive, move it to this GDrive. (@DannyvLHealthHats suggestion about how ppl could repurpose the materials into a youtube channel, might be the sort of thing to add to that document, etc.)

Make a subfolder for each of the 18 episodes that the project created. In each subfolder put:

1. The finished MP3 file. People can play them out of the GDrive, or they can download and repurpose them. They can’t play it as a podcast in their fave podplayer; but that’s not the goal here in sharing resources for eduction.

2. the transcript, downloaded from wherever you got a transcript from, for the episode as a document.

3. document with episode notes. (Some of the 18 episodes have episode notes, some don’t.)

4. the WAV file(s) that were the source materials to create the finished episode, the mp3 file mentioned above. Note that some of those WAV files may need to be edited to remove some things that should never see the light of day.

That last item—WAV files—could be left as work for the next batch of Nicole’s students who go through her course.

Then anyone who wants to use these resource materials, simply needs to email the gmail address (put address in grant report due today) whomever reads that gmail, can then share read-only access to anyone wanting the materials.

Also, I’m moving this entire topic to #workbench so it can be seen publicly too.

1 Like

I’ll point out that for the Podcaster Community show (check #listen if this is news to you) I encourage people to reuse the recording.

I tell people, “it’s your episode, do with it as you please.” Some people have simply taken the finished MP3 and wrapped their own stuff around it to make an episode for their show. Some people have simply republished the MP3 as-is in their podcast. Some people downloaded the raw WAV files we recorded and done whatever they wanted with that.

It works well because the PodComm show is generally pretty meta; podcasters are the guests and we’re talking about things related to podcasting. So it’s more likely they’re going to find what we record useful in what they’re creating.

I know this (here, have the files, do what you want) won’t work with Movers Mindset because the guests there aren’t podcasters [generally]. They don’t want to do anything with what I’ve created.

1 Like

@DannyvLHealthHats Thanks so much for sharing this. Can you share a Medium article along with its podcast and transcript? I would like to see that too.

Which of these things has been most effective for your goals?

Thanks for sharing this example as this prompted me to go WAY back to my early thinking in POD5 where I first realized that being interviewed was a great learning experience for BOTH parties…and the listeners. I wonder what sort of really interesting content would come out of my students discussing THIS content and how it applies in their lives or something like that. I make them do this individually now as a form of assessment, and I also have made them BYOQ (Bring Your Own Question) at the end of their Discussion Board responses. But reading your response made me imagine inviting up to 7 students into a Riverside studio with me, and have the rest watch through the audience feature. And we could take clips like the one below and talk about the implications for this in terms of teamwork. Maybe a podcast that documents more the experience of being in my class. There are A LOT of clips from almost every episode that hits on something about the way I’ve designed my course to ‘teach’ the content immersively. Hmmm… :thinking:

Ch 9 Excerpt - How do you match people to tasks? How might this influence how we build teams? - Descript

Medium Coaching for Peak Performance and Best Health — 2021 | by Danny van Leeuwen Health Hats | Jan, 2022 | Medium
Podcast Coaching for Peak Performance and Best Health - 2021 #153

Most effective is tough to know. I am not an avid clicks, downloads tracker. I feel like LinkedIn is my main SM platform. In general, my community is broad, but not deep, except for patient-caregiver activists and friends. My dissemination plan takes about an hour over a week’s time. I publish my podcast on Sunday’s -50% readers from my blogging days and 50% listeners. Not every week, but averaging 4 out of six weeks. On Monday’s I cross post to LinkedIn, Medium, Twitter, and Facebook. Every day I post something about my podcast on LinkedIn. Does that help? Feel free to ask motre questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.