Magic - with Jey Jeyendran

Magic, publishing and imposter syndrome

magic 2

@Jey

6 Likes

You two made an oustanding episode! I enjoyed it so much I’ll repeat it for sure.

@Jey is the audio for the interview with that psychologist still available somewhere? Or is there somewhere where her work is available? Sounds fascinating.

Go, go, go!

2 Likes

You are very kind @GermanWithNicole

This is the episode (#16) from my first show Productivity Heaven. The guest is Rani Bains - just an incredible guest. I’ve uploaded it to Soundcloud.

Productivity Heaven was my first show created while a student on the Akimbo Podcasting Workshop 4. I learned so much during that first show which was a mix of face to face and Zoom interviews. This was face to face.

During this particular taping I had both mics (Samson 2QU) connected to a Zoom H6 field recorder. I gave Rani headphones and she was fine. But I could not hear anything via my headphones. Managed not to panic as the audio meters on my Zoom showed the mics were recording fine but I couldn’t hear her. Turned out I had not pressed my headphone jack hard enough into the socket. But my guest never figured out I was having a heart attack while figuring this all out.

We recorded in her office in the middle of London. Lots of sirens going off and I was happy to keep that noise in. Also from time to time, you can hear a ripple of what sounds like wind chimes - Rani was wearing around 20 wrist bangles on each arm and when she got excited she waved her arms around and created a series of chimes. I thought it was delightful so I kept it in - plus I didn’t have the skills to remove it anyway! My point is that I learned to relax and not worry about getting “perfect” sound.

Also, I started to interrupt my guest to probe further. Before that, I asked a question and then shut up because I thought the audience didn’t want to hear me. Realised that a conversational approach was much better.

I could go on with other things I learned! But I guess what I love about podcasting is that every episode is a lesson. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Jey ! I already listened to it once and I’m going to listen to it again. She’s truly remarkable, and I learned a lot from this episode.

“Every episode is a lesson.” That’s very true. It’s true for the listener as well as the host/producer.

Next year I might start adding interviews to the podcast, and @craigconstantine 's community podcast, this interview and a host of others have given me some great ideas for what I want to do with it. If/when.

Thanks again for sharing this. Very generous of you.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this Nicole. The response to Jey’s episode has been insane. By far the most-mentioned person when I ask the guests who they wanted to hear.

I’m finishing up an article from Elisa Graf’s episode, (https://forum.podcaster.community/t/craig-constantine-writing-articles-from-podcast-transcripts/771/4 [note, that’s a Supporting Members only link].) Once I have that published, I’ll start writing the companion article for this episode. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@craigconstantine @Jey What’s the one question I should have asked you? Brilliant! I learned so much listening to this brief 20 minutes. I have not heard anyone mention - you have to be in love with podcasting, or at least some part of it, to make room for it.
Thank you both.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jayne. It’s so kind of you to take the time to say :pray:

1 Like