Conversation - with Helena Roth

conversation

@HelenaRoth @leekei

4 Likes

Thank you @leekei for the connection and Craig for a lovely conversation on conversation.

Iā€™ll ping @AlisonC here too as sheā€™s part of what I speak about!
:pray:

1 Like

very, very pleasant convo, you guysā€¦
being a strictly host on mic / intensely worked over production guy, I find myself envying the easy-going sound and worthwhile Gestalt for listening in and sharing with your audience that youā€™ve co-createdā€¦
like a great dinner conversation, you make it totally okay to just sip my wine and passively participate by just listeningā€¦
except thatā€™s the rubā€¦
actively listening is what great conversations call for, and my question for you both is: where does a respectful 3rd party response belong in this brand new sort of podcast equationā€¦???
being the dog in this 3-way exchange is fine, except I know (as a podcaster) that you and I want to know what your / my / our audience thinksā€¦

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes, thatā€™s a good way to describe it.

Yes, that IS part of the rub.
I find I get feedback/the comments from friends and to-be-unknown-listeners in various ways. On WhatsApp and such messages, on Twitter for sure, FB not so much, a bit on IG, and then Iā€™d LOVE more on Goodpods which is the podcast-player Iā€™ve started to use almost exclusively. That one DOES the best job of actually enabling the very conversation back and forth that you point to.

However, I donā€™t see how this is a question exclusive for this ā€˜great dinner conversation-type podcastā€™ though, itā€™s AS relevant for a ā€˜host on mic/intensely overworked production-type podcastsā€™ too, right? So - where do you find out what your audience thinks?

Ping @craigconstantine - cuz maybe you also have some input here?
And @steveh too?

1 Like

My answer is this community. :slight_smile:

One answer, for sure, but does that mean that for you, your audience all reside within this community? Because I can say for sure that for me (and I will honor that you specifically wrote my! So perhaps that is actually so?) my audience probably doesnā€™t label themselves ā€˜podcastersā€™ as such.

1 Like

For this communityā€™s companion show, the engaged audience is here, yes. This community works, but ā€œitā€™s about podcastingā€ has nothing to do with why it works.

The companion show has only ~1000 downloads since its start in June. And the amount of engagement Iā€™ve gotten here [Iā€™m referring to engagement with specific audio episodes] is amazing, both in scale and quality. (I sometimes scroll down the #listen category when I need a boost of motivation.)

I have a concrete definition of success for each podcast episode that I create, (in all my work.)

If just one person listens, and then when they have a chance to connect with the guest, they understand the guest a little betterā€¦ they can skip past the trivial stuff and start their conversation a little deeperā€¦ If the guest feels like this new person wants to have a conversation with them, not ā€œatā€ them nor get something ā€œfromā€ themā€¦ Then that episode is a success.

I started Movers Mindset and was saying that from the beginning. Years into the project, I realized my personal mission was tucked inside that definition of success that had so resonated with me. Eventually it became clear to me that my mission is to create better conversations to spread understanding and compassion. Not only through my having better conversations that others can hear, but to enable others to have better conversations.

1 Like

Love this and it resonates so much with the hope that ā€œmy meandering conversationsā€ will indeed inspire others to find their meandering conversations in their own life.
(Ping @AlisonC on that one!)
:pray:

1 Like

For this podcast show, this episode, this conversation, I say: right here.

You just literally did what I wish would happen. You heard a great (if I do say so myself) conversation. You had a thought. You felt moved. You found it easy, and inviting, to engage with those speakers.

Iā€™ve a thought that podcasts currently seem to be broken, because people arenā€™t engaging with what we [all podcast creators] are making. But my supposition is that podcasts arenā€™t broken; they are simply unidirectional. A podcast should be part of something larger. (And a podcast doesnā€™t have to be ā€œjustā€ marketing as I hear many people say to rationalize expenses.) A podcast should be a piece of a community.

1 Like