Choice - with Joe Pellerito

2023-02-25 Choice - With Joe Pellerito

Summary

Are you looking to explore your creative side through podcasting? Craig Constantine and Joe Pellerito, host of the Rechoice podcast, discuss the art of podcasting, focusing on the importance of feedback, exploring side streets and the passion for topics. They also emphasize the importance of giving guests a platform to talk about their passions and to create an experience for the listener.

@Joepellerito

Episode audio

I’m going into topics I’m personally passionate about and I also see it as almost a gift for the guest. So whatever that guest is passionate about, what I’ve noticed is they say, "Joe thank you so much. That’s always going to be out there on the internet. My grandkids can hear it someday.”

Joe Pellerito ~5’38"

Exploring the creative possibilities of podcasting

Creativity is an elusive and mysterious thing, often hard to recognize and even harder to master. It takes hard work, dedication, and a special kind of talent to see the world with a creative eye. Podcasting is a creative outlet that is often overlooked. Craig Constantine and Joe Pellerito are two experienced podcasters who discuss the unique challenges that podcasting presents and how it can be a rewarding creative endeavor.

Craig and Joe recognize that podcasting is a unique form of creativity, since it is not tangible like a painting or a sculpture. There is no physical product that you can point to and say “I made this”, yet the process of creating the podcast is just as rewarding. Joe notes that even his own family members, who are close to the process, can appreciate the hard work that goes into creating a podcast.

One of the main challenges of podcasting is finding a way to make the content engaging and accessible. Craig points out that unless you’re a podcasting nerd, most people won’t be able to recognize all the work that goes into creating the podcast. Joe shares how he has a website, rechoicepod.com, where people can go to see all the episodes, photos, and other elements that go into making the podcast. Joe also mentions how his son plays a part in the podcast. He does the music production and helps create the template for the conclusion. His son is a high schooler, so his involvement is limited. But Joe enjoys having him be a part of the process, as it allows him to see the tangible results of his hard work.

When I’m traveling for work, coming back on the weekend, and then just continuing to work… who’s left behind? My wife and son, who are right here. My son’s a senior this year, and hey, I want more senior moments. […] Even last night, when I was finishing production for [a podcast episode]. My wife snuck up behind me, touched my shoulder and said, “Will you go play chess with Danny? He’s just really bored right now.” […] …um, yeah, absolutely. I Just dropped my headphones down and walked out there.

Joe Pellerito ~19'54"

Craig and Joe emphasize the importance of giving guests a platform to talk about what they are passionate about and to create an experience for the listener. They discuss the importance of exploring side streets, being passionate about topics, and not getting too caught up in the numbers. They also stress the importance of asking for feedback from listeners. Craig has had the unique experience of having strangers approach him and tell him they know him from his podcast. Joe has done surveys for his podcasts and has used direct messages on social media to reach out to people. Craig adds that it’s crucial to make the questions specific and direct so that the listener can give you the best feedback possible.

Transcript

00:00.12
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome to Podtalk, short conversations with independent podcasters that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. My guest today is Joe Pellerito. Welcome, Joe. How are you this— Um, morning— Afternoon? …we’re in the same time zone. How are you this afternoon?

00:18.21
Joe
Hey we are in the yeah, we are in the same time zone I am doing great. My wife’s ah, a musical director and so she’s doing some dress rehearsal right now. My son is walking the dog. So hey I’ve got.

00:31.57
Joe
I Get to be cozy here with you and just hang out.

Show full transcript…

00:34.72
Craig
I Hope he didn’t just chinx it. Although although dog interrupttions are highly welcome in anything I Ever do I Love dogs I Often you know bang a coffee cup. This show is brought to you by coffee and dogs. Ah before I hit the big strangely. Blue button that starts the recording we were talking about a couple of different things all over the place and we started to talk about feedback from a lot of times. Everybody gets feedback from their guests when you’re hosting guests on a show and I don’t want to say that we’re all awesome, but.

01:00.51
Joe
Sure.

01:07.30
Craig
Everybody gets good feedback from the guests because that means that’s what you’re trying to do and you can tell are they having a good time. Did they enjoy themselves. But I’m wondering what feedback. Hopefully if you’re getting from people beyond the guests from their friends from people they share it with or random weirdos who show up at your door.

01:24.24
Joe
Sure you know how? ah Craig a lot of times. Um, at least the advice I’ve seen is that you need to have a podcast that’s very niched neat is that the word where I don’t know that you that you find a particular.

01:24.58
Craig
But flowers. Oh.

01:33.20
Craig
I Don’t know it’s a niche down. Yeah.

01:39.90
Joe
Audience for example and and mine’s a little bit more open So it’s called the rechoice Pod R E C H Um, and it’s about when anybody in their lifetime makes a pivot right? Um, and so the audience is pretty.

01:58.10
Joe
Vague and open because sometimes it’s about infertility Sometimes it’s about career changes Sometimes it’s about spiritual changes Sometimes you know I mean so there’s there’s not a real fixed. Ah it there is I Just it just no, that’s fine.

02:06.15
Craig
Yeah, what was the most recent one is about. There’s a end of life story I don’t mean to derail you but the last one’s really good.

02:16.56
Joe
Thank you I’m actually I’m really proud of that one. Um that released this morning. Um and just to give you a clue on what it is. You know my friend Dave Warnock he has aols. You know prognosis is 3 to 5 years right and he’s already into year four. So it’s the third last annual party.

02:35.84
Joe
With him and it ended up being a great opportunity for him to talk about what he’s passionate about which is an organization called dying out loud. But I think that the tricky part is too. It’s it’s a group of mostly people who have left their faith. So this.

02:53.48
Joe
Going to now wrap into your question of feedback and after a hundred plus episodes. You know at first I started it just as a creative project and a great pandemic project that happened at time with that. Um, and I’ve always had a creative bug in me. So I just really wanted to to do that.

03:12.31
Joe
And then I wasn’t so fixated on the numbers until the numbers were showing up and then of course I’m like we’ll shoot now I’ve got this barome this this thermostat of where I I want to be aiming Oh that one didn’t hit as high as the other one or that that one way and.

03:21.23
Craig
Ah, right? yeah.

03:26.84
Craig
Oh.

03:29.44
Joe
So 1 thing I’ve really learned is that ah because I said it at the beginning I said at the very first couple less episodes if if 5 people listen to this I just had a great conversation with somebody like that was my thought going in and I think I got a little fixated on numbers for a while and now I’ve come back.

03:41.86
Craig
Um, yes, yes.

03:48.28
Joe
The other side thinking you know what don’t worry about it So when when you deal with a topic like atheism. For example, you’re automatically going to turn some people off even longtime listeners where they’re like I don’t like where this where this turn that he just took and.

03:58.27
Craig
Right.

04:06.60
Craig
Yeah, but I think it says I would I think it would say a lot so I don’t hey Craig pick a theme I don’t ah I don’t normally talk about religion on my show. It’s okay if we talk about religion here. It’s fine. We can do that? Ah, but when I do hit like a polarizing topic in the movement.

04:06.76
Joe
Yeah.

04:22.54
Craig
You know, politics or something that’s going to polarize people and I think it says a lot about the listeners about like how how decent people really are when they continue like it’s they don’t rage Quit Craig Rage quit the whole show right.

04:34.87
Joe
Right? right? right.

04:38.91
Craig
So it’s like if you do um, an episode that’s divisive people go don’t like that one and they you know they go the next one So thata away that I think really is what um buoys me that’s a strange verb craig. The idea that that the that the numbers keep let you know I’m like oh that one’s stank.

04:50.90
Joe
I make that makes sense I see what you’re saying already. Yeah.

04:56.77
Craig
Dode I Really like that dude well why didn’t anybody like an episode I don’t know do the next one just as good as the other one all right I mean for some reason people didn’t like him I don’t get it or yeah I love that about it.

05:01.99
Joe
Next episode right? and well and here’s the cool thing though too is that for for the people who were brave enough to actually tell me they stopped listening because of a particular episode because usually you you don’t get that feedback right? Usually it’s just dead silence and right you don’t you don’t always get that.

05:12.31
Craig
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re liking an echo bubble. Everybody tells me it’s awesome. Well that can’t be true.

05:21.57
Joe
And and luckily I had a you know couple and I say luckily because I I guess I would rather know than just wonder what happened? um, right? And ah but I think I’ve also realized wait. This is my podcast. Um, this isn’t somebody else’s this is mine.

05:27.81
Craig
Um, oh I agree.

05:38.35
Joe
And I’m going into topics I’m personally passionate about and I also see it as almost a gift for the guest. So whatever that guest is passionate about what I’ve noticed as they say Joe thank you so much. That’s always going to be out there on the internet. My grandkids can hear it someday.

05:43.80
Craig
Oh definitely definitely.

05:55.30
Craig
Yes, here have a copy just in case, my podcast goes away I want to jensit because you’ve been around for years. But yeah, yeah.

05:57.80
Joe
Um, I Exactly oh, That’s a good point as long as you keep it up there? Yeah, but I think that’s you know that’s rewarding and then also the ones that you even weren’t Sure. We’re gonna Land. You also have people who come out of the woodwork saying Wow that was courageous I didn’t ah I just wanted to tell you that I thought I was the only one and then when I heard that episode I realized there there were a lot more people than than just me out. There.

06:18.98
Craig
Um, yeah.

06:27.70
Craig
Yes, the validity of of seeing your perspective or your hypothetical I wonder if seeing that validated by something else going I too think you know yeah, that’s ah I I often refer to that as a platform so a lot of What I’m doing with the shows that I’m doing is creating ah giving a platform to the guest that that’s just the short way I label that is like yeah a lot of what I’m doing is making a platform and if 1 person listens to that episode and then is able to have a good conversation with that guest.

06:50.52
Joe
Um, yeah, exactly.

07:01.64
Craig
You know they can skip over the stupid stuff that everybody wants to talk to that person about and go straight to the good stuff that’s success. Um.

07:08.31
Joe
That is you know a good good example of that too. Craig is that ah way way long time ago maybe season 1 of my show I had a hunter on my my show a hunter you know who shoots deer and stuff like that and.

07:21.23
Craig
Um, right a carnivore with a weapon.

07:25.44
Joe
Exactly and I know next to nothing about that right? but it’s in that case I was like well I want to number one give Nick a platform because he has his own hunting podcast but number two I am interested I Want to hear more about what is the draw and.

07:44.45
Joe
And I even asked that question of what about people who I don’t I don’t think I said the phrase you just did of carnivore with a weapon but something like that you know I said how do you you know you’re teaching your kids how to respect an animal and all that and what’s how do you? You know? How do you deal with that. So. That’s that’s what’s fun about this. And ultimately I’ve really circled back Craig to 1 on one. We just had a great conversation and whoever wants to hear it. They get to be a fly on the wall for a second and choose if they want to listen to it. Um.

08:09.66
Craig
Yeah.

08:19.95
Joe
So I feel like I’ve come full circle back to the beginning of what I intended it to be which was just a a fun project for me to get to know people Oh shoot. There’s a rejoy and for those of you wondering What does that mean.

08:25.62
Craig
Um, that’s great. So I could say you have ah returneded to sorry oh shoot. Yeah.

08:37.11
Joe
Every episode of the rechoice podcast starts with RE and so the guest picks the word and so it could be return as Craig just said or the one that just came out which was reaffirm other examples would be you know reunite re.

08:41.20
Craig
Right? um.

08:49.47
Craig
Like kind of cheating because you could pretty much stick RE in front of anything in english and get away well played.

08:57.10
Joe
Absolutely and it won and I it is funny because now that there’s been 110 up episodes about ah now there are people going? Oh you’ve already used the word reframe I’m like I don’t care for you use the word again I don’t think anybody is going to go wait a minute that was back in season 1 already I said pick the word that most yeah pick.

09:11.82
Craig
Yeah, the listeners aren’t going to care right? yeah.

09:16.93
Joe
Pick the one that lands with you the most. But then there are sometimes where the guest is like well I do want my own I want my original word so they’ll they’ll go searching for it. Yeah.

09:28.43
Craig
Um, re original reinterateed uniquely right? Ah right right? Yeah, great points about feedback and um.

09:32.22
Joe
Well shoot the word rechoice doesn’t even exist right? So just make up your own word.

09:42.60
Joe
Um, yeah.

09:46.24
Craig
Ah there So I’m like when I pause I don’t know if I warned you when I paused it’s not because I’m bored like ah too many ideas.

09:49.57
Joe
No, it’s fine. Well let me ask you Craig how do you typically get feedback on shows.

09:59.80
Craig
Um, ah the part that I’m stuck on is it would depend on which show hi I’m Craig I have a problem with podcasts. Ah I think ah I’m going to say I have the ah ridiculous luxury of.

10:04.51
Joe
True.

10:17.32
Craig
Having done a large number of recorded conversations in person. So I’ve actually had people who weren’t on the show listen to you know to a recording and then talk about it afterwards I’ve literally like gone to dinner with people who heard the podcast get made you know who but weren’t part of it and gotten like.

10:34.25
Joe
No cool. Yeah.

10:37.60
Craig
Hours of feedback on like I Love this part and and this part like the all the side streets that one skips when you’re doing the show like go and explore those like the guest is still sitting there and we like have those conversations So I’ve had a number of times like that where I I sat there and thought oh. Every single thing that we did landed. You know you know like you’re you’re thinking like is this part of the show going to land with the people listening or they could like this is the part. They fast forward over I’ve had times where I’ve gotten feedback with like everything from that show landed with at least that listener. Um I’ve had people.

11:02.10
Joe
Um, yeah.

11:13.61
Craig
I’ve actually had people walk up to me who I did not know and I’ve said hello to them and they went Oh I know you I’ve actually had that happen I’ve actually had to habit that’s weird. Um, and then I like prepared for that I immediately say oh what was your favorite episode.

11:20.61
Joe
You’re that guy.

11:31.60
Craig
Because the chance to get a random person’s input on anything is so special and then they they say something you know and um and I I file that away I’ve had opportunity that’s more rare I’ve had people do that I.

11:38.82
Joe
I Do love it when people on their own initiative Give you feedback? yeah.

11:49.80
Craig
I Don’t think I have ever gotten I’m trying to think so I’ve done hundreds of published episodes of I don’t think I’ve ever had somebody cold email me and say I heard the episode I mean I’ve had the hey I listen your episode would you like to be sponsored by super pillow cut. You know I’ve had that but I’ve never had an actual listener.

12:00.12
Joe
Oh my gosh. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.

12:05.69
Craig
Cold email me because I read all my email that people just don’t do that and I think that’s that’s just people don’t communicate that way people just wouldn’t do that all the feedback that I’ve gotten has basically been in person. Um, and it’s it’s hard for me not to stand there and just be like my jaws on the floor are like. Whoa somebody liked it because I just assume nobody’s listening because otherwise I get cold feet. You know. So yeah, and then when I look back I’m like all right I get some criticism. Yeah, especially about like Craig shut up, you talk too much like that. Okay, and and I could we could edit like I could fix that problem.

12:42.38
Craig
Shutting up or by editing Um, but sometimes I get feedback of like that guest. You know people are just like why that person and usually I have a very clear reason like because nobody knows who that person is or they’re not famous. Ah.

12:49.26
Joe
Um, right.

12:54.64
Joe
Actually I love that and that’s some of the comments that I’ve received is that I like how it’s not I Guess that’s part of the realization that I hope I didn’t mean to do that Honestly I did not mean to do that.

13:09.73
Craig
Um, it’s a thing.

13:10.87
Joe
I Hope that’s the realization that a lot of listeners have though is that because of the variety of guests I have these stories are right next to you. You know so a lot of a lot of times when I have somebody on a podcast. It’s their first time they’ve ever done anything like it before.

13:20.34
Craig
Ah, yeah stories.

13:28.30
Craig
Yeah, that’s a gift That’s a real gift to someone. Oh what’s totally your gift.

13:30.50
Joe
And that’s what I mean by. It’s almost a gift. It’s almost a gift right? there now I do have people who have been on lots of podcasts and you can usually tell because they have a presence on the mic and all of that. Which yeah, they’re They’re a little easier to edit because they’re like using their diaphragm and being loud enough and all that good stuff. But ah.

13:38.91
Craig
Um, yeah, you and I are crazy like this is not our first rodeo.

13:46.10
Craig
Um, yeah, and they go like this when they have to call. Yeah.

13:49.52
Joe
Yeah, yeah, yeah, so um, but I that’s that’s ah, really a fun part of this whole project is just seeing how people respond and um, they feel honored a lot of times to be even asked. Um, and and then and then there’s a realize when yeah.

14:03.89
Craig
Um, yeah that I shouldn’t be surprised but that surprises me I’m like oh yeah, right, people should yes that would surprise to me I’m like what do you mean? Of course I want to talk to you I want to talk to all 7000000000 people but I only speak english in a little bit of french so it really cuts it down I’m like yes, everybody come on the show.

14:13.90
Joe
Um, yeah.

14:17.98
Joe
Ah, so yeah, that’s that’s pretty cool but but I guess to go back to the feedback thing I I did try a couple of times on season 1 and season 2 towards the end I actually asked for feedback I made a survey monkey and kept it short and sweet. You know it’s 1 thing you.

14:36.63
Craig
Um, yeah, really just ask a couple of questions.

14:37.75
Joe
Make it. It would make it even better. 1 thing you know, um, and and maybe maybe that’s why I got I I got sidetracked for a while caring too much. Um, but I’ve learned I’ve definitely learned from those comments along the way.

14:45.57
Craig
Yeah.

14:52.34
Craig
Yeah I mentioned like 5 minutes ago I mentioned the echo bubble that I’m ah I’m really not afraid but to me I try to be really mindful of that because I once maybe more than once we did a survey for mover mindset another one of the shows. And we kept it super short and we like direct messageaged people in Instagram and like we went all out and tried to get everybody involved and the response you know the response was oh I lay out like 20 responses. But when we looked at the actual we’re like wait that’s like you know, 5% of the people responded. That’s huge, um, it.

15:19.50
Joe
Yeah I was gonna say that ain’t bad. Yeah.

15:23.85
Craig
Yeah, ain’t bad when it like it’s like I forgot he did the math I’m like wait That’s really good but all the responses were positive like every single thing was awesome. Like yeah, it’s because the people who love you are the ones who say I love you. You know like you say that to your spouse I Love you before you go to sleep.

15:30.20
Joe
Um, great.

15:37.11
Joe
Um, true.

15:40.22
Craig
You don’t randomly run on the neighborhood and go I hate you and I hate you. But I love you like we don’t bother to put in the effort to give negative feedback. So anytime that I ask I try to ask really fair things like I’ll say to people hey I get this new description. Can you read the description for me.

15:46.44
Joe
True. Yeah.

15:57.25
Craig
And if you don’t make it all the way through because if you do make it all the way through it’s for you and it resonates and works if you don’t make it all the way through tell me where you stopped and why and when somebody goes I got to this part here and that’s stupid. Ah I’m like how do I say? Thank you because you know that’s a gift.

16:11.61
Joe
Well do you know what? you did there. Craig is you made it easier to answer you made it very specific. You said just this intro paragraph tell them you know, rather than how do you think I’m doing ah right.

16:19.28
Craig
Yeah, and where do you? Well yeah, okay, that’s true people like and know.

16:28.48
Joe
So by that’s what I like about that Craig is that when when you’re I think you increase the likelihood of hearing something when you’re just looking for something very specific. Yes, no am I in the right direction here. Yeah.

16:34.73
Craig
Yeah, yeah, that’s that’s a good point I don’t know that I had thought of that. Thanks Oh I Always I always look at the clock.

16:44.60
Joe
Ah, there you go man.

16:50.80
Joe
So what else you want to talk about trying to think of some of the other lessons of that podcasters. Oh ah, podcasters that are listeners that are that are listening right now have you ever been asked. Hey.

16:52.11
Craig
I Get so many things I want to talk about I’m watching the clock and it just keeps ticking there. It goes again and it keeps ticking.

17:05.47
Craig
Oh my god I get that one a lot because I built the whole podcast in community and people tend to I call that sofa to five k because that’s a way to learn to run I’m on the sofa with the potato chips and I want to learn to do a 5 k there’s like actually training programs for that sofa to five k so I call it the people.

17:05.67
Joe
You show me how to make a podcast.

17:13.33
Joe
Okay.

17:19.96
Joe
Um, exactly.

17:23.20
Craig
You know, ask me for the so it of 5 k podcasting and I basically say it doesn’t work like that just with me know I can’t do that. But if you keep asking me really good questions I promise to keep giving you the best answer I can which is often like just pointers. Well maybe this person or try that or you know not like here’s the answer I’ll be like you know? well.

17:40.11
Joe
Um, I’m not building it for you? Yeah, um, yeah.

17:42.54
Craig
Yes, try a try a fishing rod and some worms you know that’s yeah, that’s the answer to your question. Um, and then because that’s that’s I think the if you want to see depends. But ah, we need to unpack the word podcaster. So when I say podcaster I think of people like you and me and the people listening who. Yes I do the thing I hit record I talk into the mic I did the research I do the post but like I’m making the thing but some people I don’t run into these people but some people say I want to be a podcaster what they mean is they want to work for Npr and be in the talent in front of the mic or they want to be the like that’s a different kind of podcaster I don’t know anything about that.

18:17.18
Joe
Yeah, well it I think just the realization that it’s not you know, plug and play. There’s so many layers right? I Just I I talk I can I can get on my phone or something and yeah, yeah.

18:19.74
Craig
Yeah.

18:27.83
Craig
A plugin. It’s It’s actually plug and curse repug and recurs. Yeah, yeah mean you, you know these days you can that you can make a podcast with almost no technology. Um, when we were talking about feedback before.

18:36.28
Joe
It’s true.

18:42.25
Craig
1 of the trains of thought in my head was what about you know since I know that you have a spouse and you have a son and you have a dog and you have a house and you have ah have a a regular-ish sort of day job like you don’t make all your money from podcasting I know that from doing my homework and I’m wondering what.

18:58.79
Craig
Feedback you get from within the near you know, like.

19:01.90
Joe
Oh um, so what? a good question. Well this will tell you something season 1 was 52 episodes okay so that should tell you something right? season 2 was not right season 3 was even less.

19:18.72
Joe
And season 4 I already told my wife a number I said when I get to this number I’ll I’ll shut it down for a season again and that was something I learned last year last year I I finished about I can’t remember what number it was on but it was right around the summer and my my job actually really my. My regular job really picks up in July and August and I was just ah I was like just came to the realization of it’s okay to it’s okay to take a season off because it became became a grind after a while and I did I loved it.

19:51.37
Craig
Yeah.

19:54.63
Joe
But when I’m traveling for work and coming back on the weekend and then just continuing to work who’s left behind my wife and son who are right here. It’s my son’s a senior this year and hey I want more senior moments I want more senior moments but that that you know it’s funny. You ask that question because.

20:07.40
Craig
Um, yeah, well played.

20:14.25
Joe
Even last night when I was finishing production for this episodes that that launched this morning. My wife snuck up behind me touched my shoulder and said will you go play chess with Danny he’s he’s just really bored right now you know because we had an ice storm so everyone’s locked in and he’s like.

20:33.25
Joe
And um, yeah, absolutely I Just dropped my headphones down walked out there. We played a couple games of chess and we just got a new chess Timer I dont know if we’ve ever played chess with a timer before but it’s a we I I got him? Ah, ah that gift ah about a week ago but we we hadn’t used it yet.

20:44.53
Craig
Um, I’ve never played with a like I know the thing. But yeah, that’s ah.

20:53.00
Joe
So it’s a different game when you’ve got a timer. It’s fun that there how about that for a bunny trail. Ah, but that was a great question Craig because I think ah like with any hobby creative project that we have um.

20:56.70
Craig
Um, yeah, yeah.

21:12.44
Joe
There’s always a cost no matter what right? yeah.

21:13.10
Craig
Yeah, and I I was just thinking so you’ve mentioned a few times now you know in our 21 minutes and 19 seconds of talking about creativity and when I started podcasting I didn’t realize that’s what was going on I didn’t like this is or just did the thing I didn’t realize it was out creative and oh toledo was it creative. And I think there’s something particularly face-eating about audio because if I was painting I’d have a studio full of paintings. Even if they were looked terrible like you know my spouse could come out and go. These paintings huh you know like at least you can. They’re there like you can see them and and podcasting all this stuff fits in the two millimeters of glass on the front of my like where is it well, it’s in a hard drive at it you know or it’s out in the it’s in the interwebs you know and and unless the whoever we’re talking about your spouse your son your.

21:49.84
Joe
Um, oh yeah, yeah.

22:00.81
Joe
Um.

22:07.32
Craig
Whatever is going to take a time to listen to them and and my spouse would be like listen to Craig for an extra week and a half. No ah.

22:11.49
Joe
Exactly I know that there’s only there’s only a couple that if I say hey Judy you really got to hear this one she will otherwise it it is it is. It’s not I don’t need to hear more Joe.

22:19.23
Craig
And it’s always because of the gas and I see you fast forwarding over me right? yeah.

22:26.45
Joe
Um, but no a good point there and my son He’s a part of the podcast too. He did the music production but you know that each season he creates a new song but that’s about it and then sometimes I’ll say hey can you help me make the template for the conclusion where we’re kind of going back and forth. But you know he’s a high schooler he’s he’s onto his own things right? so.

22:45.16
Craig
Um, right.

22:46.35
Joe
But to your point you don’t see the tangible thing right? I mean yeah and I you know I have a website called rechoice pod.com

22:49.53
Craig
Yeah, unless you’re a real podcast listening nerd then maybe you do but most people know.

23:01.62
Joe
I don’t know if people go to it but it’s a tangible way for me to see all the episodes in 1 spot and the the photos and and all of that. So um, that’s ah I really like that point Craig I didn’t I’ve never really thought of it that way. But it’s true.

23:04.99
Craig
Yeah.

23:12.20
Craig
Yeah, well, that’s the whole being in the kitchen thing. So you know the people who are closest to whoever whoever’s listening as a podcast if there’s anybody who’s close to you on a daily basis.

23:25.45
Craig
They see all the work. You know they see you slap your headphones off and curse at the screen they see you you know lose a they see it all so they don’t fall for the I’m going to say the Instagram moment of like here’s the finished thing with the nice artwork. They don’t fall for that. They’re like yeah I know exactly how hard you worked on that. So yes, kudos for working on it.

23:43.86
Craig
But there’s there’s no this. There’s no aura of magic around a finished thing as there is like when I look at your show I’m like oh thats nice and it music and a thing you know I Okay cool I don’t have any idea I mean I know as a podcaster How hard do you work on that. But I don’t really see you experience it. So I fall for the I’m.

23:44.98
Joe
True. Yeah.

24:01.55
Craig
Um, air quoting I fall for the magic spell. But yeah.

24:04.76
Joe
On here’s what’s funny. You know and um on my screen right now. Ah you see like my there’s some photos behind me and this is also where I work when I’m not traveling and I’m still having to work at home. So I think from their perspective I’m just going back to work again. Even though I’m doing.

24:19.25
Craig
Oh yeah, yeah.

24:22.10
Joe
You know I mean so there’s another oh he’s back in the office again. Oh he’s back in the office again. Um I will say this. Ah my equipment is quite mobile if I want it to be so like the example of the one that just came out down in Alabama which was awesome. Um.

24:31.46
Craig
Yeah.

24:41.40
Joe
But then other times when ah, they’re more local guests I say look I can come to you. You can come to me and when they come here. My wife lights up because then she can be a host for a minute right? and she she’s like oh I could get this ready I could do this and now she has a part to play and by the way I’m never going.

25:00.74
Joe
Hey have I ever done this maybe I have where I say somebody’s coming. Yeah when I say so don’t worry she won’t listen to this now. Ah I’ve noticed though for the most part she kind of lights up and wants to help um with hosting. But if I was to ever say Hey so and so is coming over.

25:04.17
Craig
Um, don’t forget, we’re recording. Um.

25:20.57
Joe
Cricket like leave some silence and have this like unexpected. So did you want to make make something and that wouldn’t go over so well. But when it’s her idea Now she has a part to play and that’s kind of cool I think anyway any way we can the the people who are around us.

25:31.61
Craig
Yeah, yeah.

25:39.33
Joe
The most can have some kind of part without making it feel like work or you know a contribution. Yeah, go walk the dog Danny I’ve got a podcast right now which is what happened 30 minutes ago

25:46.65
Craig
Yeah, okay now you go shovel the snow. Oh that’s fun I don’t wanna do that? Yeah, ah actually the thing that happened. Oh.

25:58.79
Joe
I’m like great hey I don’t have to walk the dog now. Yeah no, he’s got to do that anyway.

26:02.37
Craig
Cool all right Joe I’m watching our time slip by and I think that’s as bad, a place as any to stop because I never want to end but we’ll stop there so I’ll just say thank you so much for taking the time it took us a while to get our schedules to line up and I’m glad that you finally.

26:06.10
Joe
I Think we got it.

26:17.24
Joe
I’m really glad it happened Craig and that just thanks for what you’re doing.

26:20.32
Craig
Thank you very much Joe.

@craigconstantine Wow, man, you are GREAT with your shownotes. I appreciate seeing the detail and you made the actual interview feel easy-going.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on show notes! It’s a couple hours of work working with OpenAI tools, editing and writing.