Worth a listen: Dave Grohl with Sam Jones

Dave Grohl is a musician and filmmaker known for being the former drummer of the band Nirvana and the current lead singer and guitarist of the Foo Fighters. He directed a documentary film called Sound City about the people behind the studio that launched the careers of many legendary music acts. From way back… in this conversation with Sam Jones, Grohl discusses his approach to life and career, and how developing individuality and working hard at what you love are key to success.

Figure out who you are and what inspires you and don’t look back. Develop that individuality by working as hard as you can at what you love.

~ Dave Grohl

When asked about the key ingredients for success, Grohl stated that individuality and hard work are essential: “Figure out who you are and what inspires you and don’t look back. Develop that individuality by working as hard as you can at what you love.”

Grohl credits this approach for fueling his successful career in music, which has spanned over 20 years and 11 albums with the Foo Fighters, as well as numerous side projects such as Queens of the Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures. He also recently ventured into the world of filmmaking with his documentary Sound City, which explores the people behind the studio that launched the careers of legendary music acts like Rick Springfield, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks, Paul McCartney, and Tom Petty.

There was this real sense of independence and that anything was possible. Like I mean, from an early age to probably by 13, or 14, I knew. I’m gonna do whatever I want to do. I’m gonna figure out how to survive.

~ Dave Grohl

Despite his success, Grohl maintains a humble and down-to-earth attitude. “I still feel like a 13 year old,” he said. “I don’t think I ever grew up.” He also emphasized the importance of passion and doing what you love, stating that he wouldn’t want to do anything without it.

@supporters

5 Likes

You may have already seen them, but if you liked Sound City, you’ll love The Wrecking Crew and Muscle Shoals :+1: :+1:

3 Likes