Transcript of "Vision - with Pej Onile-Ere"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m craig constantonine I’m good. Thank you, you were gonna say nice page nice to meet you. Um, we’ve I think we’ve been on a couple of hollywood squares calls I always make the joke about.

00:00.77
Pej
Hello Craig How are you? um, um, page you or page.

00:18.20
podcomm
If people are old enough to know about the old tv show hollywood squares where they put people in a three by 3 tic-tacc toe grid zoom calls remind me of that so we’ve done a couple calls like that. Um I know that you took the podcasting workshop congratulations. Um, so you may welcome I wanted to say um, can you talk me through we.

00:23.41
Pej
Um, yeah, who thank you.

00:36.96
podcomm
We started talking about your vision board project and there’s there’s like a whole bunch to unpack because you had to go through the whole journey of you used to do it in person and then we had a global pandemic and you had to transition to teaching it virtually and now congratulations you’re going back to teaching it for real in January um, so first give me, um. Like talk me through how that what that is like what is the project. What are you trying to give to people when they attend.

01:00.66
Pej
Um, sure so with the vision board Workshop I call it discover your life map and the reason why I call it that is because everyone’s always looking for some sort of map that they’re supposed to navigate their lives with.

01:17.39
podcomm
Um.

01:19.13
Pej
Right? But um, we just never find the Map. So the way I create the vision boards or what I really offer to people is um for them to really dig out their desires and the things that they’re supposed to be really focusing on in whatever current season of their lives and maybe. Projects they could be focusing on. But most importantly, the areas the areas of their lives that they should be focused on so we do deep meditations in the workshop and there are all these things from when you’re young that maybe you really want it to do or you shared with people and. They’re like oh that’s such a stupid idea. Don’t do that you know and now you’re older even if you see a snippet on tv or an ad of whatever that thing is there’s always that feeling that could like bubble up and something’s probably like oh it’s too late or oh I wish I did this you know. So those are the type of things that actually come up on the board. So. It’s not a workshop where you come with all your photos and you see these are all the things I want to do you know in the next year because um, if you want a new car a Ferrari or maybe a new house. How do you know. That’s not going to add more stress to your life. At this point you know they’re great or is it going to bring more ease and joy to you really? So how do you know those things so it’s a very interesting deep workshop but it’s fun. 100 percent fun. You do not use. You know the analytical part of your brain just the creative side throughout. Um and that’s really what I offer to people.

03:00.59
podcomm
When when we started talking I I was like remind me which and like oh he said we talked about like which pod we call them cohorts which cohort you went through and I was immediately curious about. I’ve talked to a lot of people not necessarily on this show. But I’ve talked to a lot of people who during the pandemic decided to create something you create something new online. Um, but you have a a not necessarily rare but a a less common experience of having had something and then having to convert or either let it. Let it go away or convert it to being online and it struck me as really interesting that that that you’re I’m going to say your instinct was to take a course on podcasting like like I need to do this really huge complicated thing but instead I’m going to go take a course on podcasting and I’m wondering. What about like what either what drew you in to like like take the leap as they would say take the leap to learn to Podcast. Um, and then how did that affect what you ended up creating as your online version of your project or your your course.

04:09.72
Pej
Um, sure. So um, they really had nothing to do with each other at First. Um, but the what really led me to take the podcast to take the podcast fellowship actually was um. I had bought the yeah url. So the podcast is called the badass fabulous podcast as you might know and um I bought the yeah url badass fabulous dot com back in like 2010 or so but I never used it and I always kind of knew that it would be about.

04:30.20
podcomm
Who.

04:42.89
podcomm
The iron.

04:46.63
Pej
What I really wanted it to be about was just learning about people’s personal. Routines. You know people who seem to be successful in the world or to in small communities and to um. Just really learn about what makes them tick like is it? What do they do is in Meditations what makes them who they really are um and I felt it’ll be on video that was the whole thought and then in nineteen I was just learning more and more about podcasting and I’m like okay this is.

05:10.57
podcomm
Um, no.

05:19.69
Pej
This sounds like it’s better even to the voice lessons because I wanted to deliver a really good podcast I don’t know if that’s embarrassing but I did um voice coaching lessons for a couple of months. Yeah, okay, it’s so hard. You know it was um.

05:27.74
podcomm
Um, it’s really hard I don’t It’s not embarrassing. It’s really, it’s this shit’s really hard.

05:38.74
Pej
And it was really good I’m glad I did it as well and um in 2020 when the pandemic hit though. By that time you know, even the thought of doing the podcast had kind of slipped away because I just got so busy then I was doing my master’s and working on this 200 page dissertation.

05:55.89
podcomm
Ray.

05:57.22
Pej
So I didn’t even have time for that. But once I completed it. Um, you know I got the akimba workshops and I thought okay podcasting How do I create a podcast before I saw the email actually just thinking about it. Um I I tried to build it on my own.

06:13.76
podcomm
Yes.

06:14.44
Pej
You know it’s a million and nine to nine things out there. You know about podcasting and I’d been trying to do this thing for about 3 four months or even five months and then when the akimbo um podcast fellowship came out the course I thought you know what I’m just going to. Have a more structured approach to this you know, learn from people who already did it. You know, be part of a community of other people actually doing podcasting I had no 1 in my circle that ever podcasted if is podcasted is that a word.

06:49.86
podcomm
Um, it is now. Yeah.

06:52.41
Pej
Yeah I create my own words. That’s something I’m known for. Um yeah, So so I joined that and it was really truly amazing to do it and now with the vision Board Workshop. It was really interesting because I had. Du teaching it like you had mentioned before it was only in person and I only taught when people who knew I did the workshops or like are you right? right? Then I’m like okay sure I’ll do it. You know, bring 2 of your friends along or something. Um.

07:15.40
podcomm
Yeah, when the the need arise. There’s 6 seven 10 Okay, we’ll run 1 right.

07:28.30
Pej
And then I I I didn’t really bridge it together. But I feel the podcast. What I talk about in the podcast came from that life map that I’ve been doing for over 10 years because the podcast is really about you know, having the courage to. Become who you’re created to be so that’s what badass really stands for is you know, having that courage and then fabulous is after facing your fears and overcoming sets and struggles you become more comfortable in your being and in yourself right? and that is what. Makes sure. You’re really truly fabulous right? You’re more fabulous in your own skin so and discover your life Map. It’s the vision board. But after the vision board I sit 1 and 1 with people and we go through through every single piece of every single piece of thing on their vision board. And redistributed into 10 different areas of life of their life basically and from that we create goals. So. It’s an action map that’s created so when that action map is created then they get a clearest sense of okay.

08:36.79
podcomm
Mm.

08:42.74
Pej
These are the main areas I should be focusing on in my life because you’ll get more actions and goals in sets and areas than some others and it’s usually only 1 to 3 areas for everybody you know which is really interesting. So when you’re being bad as fabulous you you get clear. What you should be going after you now need to journey. You’re not just badass and fabulous. It’s like this constant journey of life where you’re always conquering something overcoming something learning something going through something you know, but you also need to have fun and joy in doing it and. I believe that’s how they kind of merged together I don’t know if that answers the question. But if I went way up. Okay.

09:25.53
podcomm
Yeah, they’re open-ended questions I I love I like that you mentioned first of all fabulous is a fabulous word and I’m I’m torn between like let’s talk more about what we mean when we say fabulous. But I love that you talked about.

09:33.66
Pej
This evening.

09:43.82
podcomm
So your your vision board project is about like clarifying 1 ne’s own vision. Um, and then I don’t want to say the really hard part but another really hard part is how to turn that into action. So yeah, okay I have this vision I have a vision right? Okay now how do I what do I what’s an out you know and I think. It’s neat to see that you’re talking about showing people through your project and through the podcast showing people how to like here’s how to do the thing to get you to badass. Fabulous. But also you had to do that yourself like you have to bootstrap that. The first time you have to do it in order to be able to. Just deliver it to other people. But then to teach them how to do it is like a whole nother thing. So i’m’m just super interested whenever I find um I don’t want to say things you know, but like when I find situations where somebody is all excited about showing people something and I’m like you do realize that. You had to do that first yourself and that’s really hard like so did you do you realize? is there a point where you realized or maybe that’s what made you make the course like if you had badass fabulous dot com that’s an aspirational like oh I I’m um, buying that like you pinned that to the wall figuratively speaking you have that piece of real estate and it like rattles. Back of your head and it draws you but that’s like a lot of people do that a lot of people have a really good idea like okay how did you get from the the thought that you pinned down as a domain name like oh now my thing now it has a name like how did you get from that. To figuring out all right I’m going to do I’m going to press record or it’s gonna be a podcast where I’m going to take this course like how did you go from that ephemeral vision that Nonolid I mean it’s of clear vision but you can’t touch it. It’s like a thing that you can see. But you can’t quite reach. It. How’d you get from there to like this is what I’m doing next rambly.

11:36.76
Pej
Great question. Um, no, no, that’s a that’s a great question I love it and this is sound so I don’t know if you’ll sound cheesy but I got the name through a vision board that I did you know it was at a time where I was in.

11:51.47
podcomm
Focus.

11:56.71
Pej
I was I think I just left corporate I do have a background in banking technology for many years and I had left that to start a business but because I had worked in banking for so long after leaving I didn’t even have a sense of self or what I enjoyed doing so the first thought that came to me was. Think it was doing my sister. She’s like why not do 1 of your vision boards and see what what shows up for you I’m like oh I didn’t think of that you know so I did the vision board. Um, and this was back in maybe twenty two thousand and ten or nine I don’t remember it was a very long time ago and i. Worked on the on the vision board and you know the names were there very clearly you know and I remember was my sister’s boyfriend at the time they’d come over for dinner and I asked them I’m like what do you guys? think of the name badas faboos and it’s like o I would. Save that domain right now. It’s a very catchy name. You could even start a t-shirt for his next with it. Yeah, so you know after um, thinking about it the name I went to bed I will never forget that night I went to bed and woke up the next morning and all that was in my head was.

12:59.69
podcomm
He’s like that’s dumb I’m stealing your domain name.

13:13.63
podcomm
Um.

13:14.53
Pej
Bad as fabulous. It was that and the other name that showed up was Genius Glam funny enough. Um, but bad as faulous kept ringing at the back of my head and when you know that happened I’m like you know what? I’m just going to buy this domain name and.

13:18.10
podcomm
Um.

13:29.79
podcomm
Leap Yeah, there’s a whole fifteen dollars right? yeah.

13:32.82
Pej
Just do it I don’t know what it will be right? like I have no clue what it will be Maybe it will be a t-shirt line who knows um so so but even on that vision board I could see set in things I couldn’t really piece it together Then. Um I could see sets and things of you know, working with people or you know some sort of transition in life about life but I couldn’t I didn’t really really know what that was and back then I was only doing the vision boards I hadn’t even discovered the part about.

13:56.93
podcomm
M.

14:09.30
Pej
Turning the vision board into an action map. So it’s really interesting because this kind of shows the whole journey so it was all in the vision board. But I noticed the vision board. It’s not just me putting my desires on ah you know on the board. So these things would come up basically and.

14:12.60
podcomm
Rave.

14:28.10
Pej
I Thought Okay, what do I do with it next. So I personally started just taking all the different images I saw and actually writing out what I felt they were or what I felt they signified like how they relate to certain things in my life At this point. Um.

14:38.40
podcomm
Um, and.

14:46.90
Pej
And I’ll look at them constantly over and over and it’s really interesting I started creating. Oh I think creating a map. Basically you know of oh I think I’m meant to work on this part of me or I think I’m supposed to reach out to this person to. Create something and you know and every time I would do that based on what I felt from the board. You know, just amazing things will happen and there were very little actions funny enough you know boy was just.

15:14.77
podcomm
Um, I think that’s a brilliant way to break the analysis paralysis that um well I don’t suffer from at all all the time but sometimes I get too many possibilities too many choices. Um and like writing it all out and then like picking 1 and then and then check back.

15:31.12
Pej
Um.

15:31.47
podcomm
Like well it didn’t work out. Well okay, cool right down it didn’t work out. Well I’ll try the next 1 like um because then at least you’re um, you can’t steer if you’re not moving like like so least, let’s get. Let’s let’s get moving here so I can figure out where I’m going um, did you? um you mentioned like way back like ten minutes ago you mentioned that.

15:38.00
Pej
Um, right? That’s right? yeah.

15:50.57
podcomm
In the podcast you’re talking to people to find out who they are and I love that phrase because I have a whole other show where I talk about talking to people to find out who they are what they do and why they do it and it’s such a simple thing to say I want to know who you are yeah but there’s so much that.

16:03.29
Pej
Um e.

16:08.80
podcomm
So much that you would have to tell me for me to feel that I now had some inkling of who you are um so what I’m what I’m wondering is have you found any common thread. So the people that you’re talking to who are badass fabulous and you’re trying to figure out who those people are are there common threads that that you’re finding already.

16:24.52
Pej
Yes, um, and it’s a term that I call beautiful mess and it’s not necessarily just beauty. But it’s more like when people see someone who might be but as fabulous or in the badest fabulous journey I would say.

16:29.41
podcomm
M.

16:43.44
Pej
Is their life seems so put together and so Perfect. You know on the outside but being closed doors. They could either be suffering from it could be self-doubt that’s something I used to suffer a lot from you know fear we been taking steps towardss dreams. You know, even if it’s a baby step. You know those are things I had to overcome over the years um they’re very Messy. So I also work with the 1 on-one clients I don’t know if you know that as well and well-being I do um, energy healing transformation and management. Um, as well. Which helps with you know the journey to becoming because you need to know who you are and by knowing who you are you need to know yourself your body your energy. You know how you function so in working with people and also other fellow badass. Fabulous is. Their their lives are very messy where you know it’s a lot of ah it could even be maybe they have too many ideas they’re going to towards like always very scattered you know and they’re always on the right path but then they get distracted and it’s like. You know? So. There’s this thing where they keep doing the same thing but they’re not getting anywhere. You know, even though you might seem as though you know things are moving but they’re really not moving as as um, they’re they’re not really making progress even though it might seem as though in you know, reality or.

18:06.10
podcomm
And.

18:18.57
Pej
Or Um, to the public eye I should say um, what else and the other most important thing is they’re always fighting… There’s always some sort of fight and it’s It’s so interesting because I go through the same battles I see myself in these people as well. Um, and. There’s always a battle of always trying to improve always trying to be better, always working on themselves. Um, and there is something they’re trying to hit in Life. You know it’s like something they’re trying to accomplish and they might not know what that is but they they would. See a lot of things I know Nope That’s not it. But they’re all there is something much deeper that they were trying to figure out about life you and that’s what they keep going after so that’s some those are some things some common threads I’ve noticed.

19:08.92
podcomm
Thank you for sharing those I there’s a lot of wisdom pack in there. There’s there’s also I’m also like I’m also distracted by. Yeah, there’s also a lot of selfprescription there craig that you could work on but let’s not turn this into the Craig Therapy show to.

19:14.19
Pej
Um, really.

19:21.21
Pej
Um, we could oh okay, are so by the by the bell. Yeah.

19:27.21
podcomm
We could except they only have 30 2 seconds left we saved saved by the bell. Um, let’s see there was 1 other thing but I we’re not gonna have time. Um I think I’m just gonna say oh I think I’m just gonna say that was a pleasure and.

19:38.53
Pej
Um.

19:46.15
podcomm
Freaking fabulous and thank you for taking this time to drop in and talk with me today. It doesn’t have to be our only chat. Thanks paige.

19:51.90
Pej
Thank you, Thank you Greg for having me this has been so amazing just to chat and to share things about me. So.