Transcript of "Music - by Orlando Bishop"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:01.28
Orlando
Hi there’s Orlando bishop coach Orlando of align performance. Glad to be here.

00:06.52
podcomm
Oh the pleasure is all mine. Thank you for taking the time took us a while because I always feel bad because I hound the explet’ deleted out of people. Um, but a lot of times people are like no I can’t make it.

00:15.21
Orlando
Um.

00:20.53
podcomm
But please keep hounding me. No I can’t make it please keep pounding me and and to your credit you were You were clearly interested from the beginning. So thank you for taking the time I ask people a pretty standard question these days at the front of this before we’re recording and the topic that we got on right away was talking about freedom and I asked you.

00:20.87
Orlando
Yeah, yeah. Absolutely. Um, yes.

00:39.11
podcomm
I Like to try and find a new twist on so I could say well what it is about podcasting that makes you think of freedom. That’s a really obvious question and I asked you instead. Why did you feel like going to podcast would give you freedom that you weren’t getting somewhere else.

00:42.77
Orlando
Ah, why.

00:50.11
Orlando
Right? right? Yeah well I’ve written for television I actually came out I live in Los Angeles I came out to to la to get in hollywood and make movies and all and make Tv and all that and.

01:00.13
podcomm
Um.

01:05.98
Orlando
So I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to deal with the gatekeepers right? I have this idea and I think people are gonna like it. But then there’s a whole other audience of people in between me and the people I think will like it and who I have to convince. That’s a real thing that we should actually do.

01:13.69
podcomm
Um, who.

01:24.49
Orlando
And so what I loved one of the things I loved about podcasting was that it allowed me to say I think they’ll like it this way. Ah, let’s go for it and and so that that that really fed me and served me and being able to sort of have this short window Really as short as I want it to be I’ve made it. Maybe made it a little longer than some because I like to post and I get to trimming every um and on and adding my music and we’ll talk about all that stuff. But um.

01:52.10
podcomm
There’s something to be said for polishing like which and and what I say for it is I don’t do any of that. But there’s yeah.

01:55.82
Orlando
which which I also really like because I think there’s a freedom also a freedom of saying like there’s no rule right? like someone 1 person may just post their conversation. Another person doesn’t I am hoping that there’s a podcast I was a contributor to and the episodes are gonna be.

02:09.84
podcomm
Yeah.

02:15.81
Orlando
You know, 2 hours plus and so that’s a whole thing and that they’re doing and and for the audience that would enjoy that I think they’re gonna love it now does the audience who’s looking for 30 minutes on the way to work want that? Absolutely not so I also like that piece you know, like yeah.

02:22.52
podcomm
The air. Never but yeah.

02:31.75
Orlando
Like you know like everything isn’t for everybody and then you’re able to go off and do that and find your folks and if for you the 15 people you found who are listening and enjoying or that’s your target then run with that and for someone else. Maybe they’re looking to build a ah wider audience. So I just. I like that it can be whatever we want it to be and honestly I’m more controlling myself because I always like the shiny new object. So I’m I’m really controlling myself right now because I’m like oh yeah, we can do storytelling and we can have a show that is a bit right? So I’m trying to so control yourself, you know? yeah.

02:55.93
podcomm
Yeah.

03:02.69
podcomm
Um, yeah, it sounds to me like you don’t have the problem of being stuck as fuck I think you have the problem of being like yeah um before I was saying I heard someone say um that this person said what really works for me is when I manage to have like ah an urgency with a focus.

03:08.76
Orlando
No.

03:19.49
Orlando
Yes, yes, absolutely right? like a crazy person exactly yeah.

03:21.36
podcomm
So my hair is on fire. But I’m running toward a particular goal as opposed to running around in circles like daffy duck which is usually do you find that? Um, when you when you cracked open the door and like you know snuck into podcasting land and realized all these things that you could do with it was there anything in particular that you went.

03:33.61
Orlando
And.

03:39.66
podcomm
Oh my goodness I hadn’t even thought of like I could I could run in this direction and do a host of Mike I could bring in get like what what really was like a surprising freedom.

03:42.55
Orlando
Yes, well 1 thing I’m thinking about and I do want to come to There’s some things that were you know hopefully we’ll touch on that and and and that I’m doing now. But I have several projects that are. Ah, byproducts of all that time I spent thinking about what film and Tv projects could happen and I’m very curious about the idea of doing. Um. Essentially dramatic podcasts of of really having people tune in and it’s the next episode of blank and how might we do that or could we take a movie idea that we had and there’s one I have in particular that’s a hip hop musical. And and we had it set up over at Fox and this and that and whatever it didn’t ever make it to the screen and I’ve always thought it was just a great project that just never found the right home and could we do it could we produce it and maybe send it out into the world in you know ten ten minute

04:37.53
podcomm
And.

04:44.56
Orlando
Episodes and see what happens you know it’s it’s just sitting there right now. So it can’t hurt and I think that this might be a really interesting way again to find an audience that wants it and that will enjoy it and appreciate it without having to convince people who aren’t really of that audience. Oh no no, no, it’ll really work. You’ll make your money back. You won’t get fired which is a big hollywood thing right? like that’s a that’s the problem in Hollywood is everybody’s just scared. Everybody is like no no, no, this is not exactly like the thing that’s working right now and so I’m gonna get fired.

05:04.57
podcomm
Um, yeah, yeah, oh yes, yeah yeah.

05:17.84
Orlando
If I walk into my boss’s office with your crazy idea. So yeah, no thanks.

05:23.63
podcomm
I’m gonna make candy canes are going to be orange and pink and no, that’s that’s not going to work but it’s gonna taste exactly the same no and it’s not words Candy Canes look like this. Yeah I I hadn’t really thought about that I I started podcasting this show and other shows and I was just like um this is what I want to do on present record and never like I Never really.

05:23.91
Orlando
Right? That’s on go No it exactly.

05:42.20
podcomm
Looked at it from the point of view of of what should I be doing I mean there’s been a lot of I put an episode out and then I listen to it later and I go oh my god like or a we need microphone stands you know or like whatever like the I you learned lessons along the way like oh then go back and edit the can I edit history you know Sam yeah.

05:43.65
Orlando
Here. No.

05:50.88
Orlando
Right? for sure. Yeah, there’s ah, there’s a power too though to what you said that I is that you can put something out and not because of the low barrier of entry.

06:00.61
podcomm
Ah.

06:10.50
Orlando
You can have that moment right? You can have the moment where you say Oh yeah I wouldn’t do that that way going forward or from now on I Want the intro I’m gonna have a new intro for every season or I’m gonna you know and that it’s okay.

06:17.62
podcomm
Yes.

06:21.74
Orlando
That it’s you know oh I thought I was going to interview the person for an hour but it turns out 45 minutes is plenty and that you can adjust then and it doesn’t make the first episode wrong and I like that too I like that sort of energy of that I always be testing to.

06:29.60
podcomm
Oh.

06:37.10
Orlando
To to quote somewhere near and dear to both of us. But just yeah, always be testing. Yeah iterate. That’s right, That’s right.

06:37.96
podcomm
Um, yeah, iterate iterate iterate it iterate it I think the I 1 thing podcasting cured me of I mean like podcasting listening to podcasts so as a listener of podcasts as a consumer one thing it cured me of was my urge to always start at the front.

06:51.34
Orlando
Um, are right? rich.

06:56.45
podcomm
I used to um and I found a blog o there’s 3000 posts I can start at the front. Yeah, get a lot of coffee and I do it over a weekend. Um, but podcasts I was like it became so clear to me that not all of them but some of them suck horribly.

07:08.12
Orlando
A a.

07:11.76
podcomm
Or in the middle they completely change format and that’s fine. You know like I want to dump my 7000 users so I’m just going to do something different and I really learned this lesson of you Craig you don’t need to think of the podcast as an entire single entity I can think of it as I mean. Some of these episodes really run together. Oh I broke it apart. It’s 4 you know it’s a 4 our-part interview that’s kind of like 1 thing but I really learned this lesson of you can you know I can just dip in and really like love on this episode with this particular guest and then I took that away when I started podcasting I’m like yeah I mean if I did that episode and I think it sucks when I listen to it three years later

07:32.62
Orlando
A.

07:41.69
Orlando
Yes, yes.

07:51.55
podcomm
That’s okay because somebody’s probably gonna love it even though they’re not the avatar that I was imagining when I made it. There’s probably an Avas ah saw not then I had this whole new dimension of what you know we talk a lot everybody talks a lot about imagining who you’re creating for or who is the avatar that you’re creating for and then I thought oh yeah, but.

07:53.93
Orlando
Ah, ah, ah.

08:06.71
Orlando
Right.

08:11.57
podcomm
Avatar changes then I’m like oh yeah I mean there’s the whole fact of like once you publish it. It doesn’t really matter who I was making it for so I learned a lot just listening and and like I can’t listen to all these episodes.

08:17.88
Orlando
That’s right, that’s right, right? There was a there was interestingly sort of along that of not of someone maybe not being in the avatar. So I was in a conversation with an entrepreneur a woman who um. Been friends with we worked as a company together and just have stayed in touch and she put me onto this book and I’m not gonna think of the author’s name and I apologize but she put me onto this book chilpreneur yes chilpreneur was the name of the book and so I listened to this book and it is 100 % targeting women like it’s clear that.

08:41.59
podcomm
We can hit reply in the forum. Yeah.

08:51.51
podcomm
Um.

08:53.56
Orlando
That you know the audience and and explicitly so but I got a ton out of it. Ah, just a ton and really thought in some ways that it spoke to me much more so than some books I’ve read that I think were much more male centric around starting your business and being a you know captain of your ship kind of stuff.

08:58.97
podcomm
A.

09:09.12
podcomm
Yeah, the protagonist. Yeah.

09:13.20
Orlando
Yeah, and and and and so yeah I found myself going. Yeah, that’s probably gonna be true for me and I think there’s a value to continuing to think about that avatar because it helps you to be specific in ways that in the end may land other ways. But I think it still leads to choices and and that.

09:26.31
podcomm
Um, focus. Yeah.

09:31.66
Orlando
Yeah, and I think that served me that has served me well.

09:35.78
podcomm
Ah, random things I’m going to play the Craig sounds omniscient card hey tell me more about music in your podcast to people listening. They’re like what like what do we talk about things in advance I have a list.

09:37.32
Orlando
Yeah here.

09:43.66
Orlando
Ah, yeah, how to get to that? Yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah, so I so interestingly so we I was in the podcasting workshop akimbo and was sort of a. Pushed toward it by my friend and coach and client and Holman sister-in-law and just a whole bunch of other things Nadieine Kelly who has her own great podcast and and the yogi md ah podcast and now she’s actually graduating the npk health integrations I’m very excited for her. But at any rate she. Had done a lot of work in akimbo and and and said to me all right? We’ve talked about this you you need to do it get in there and do it and so I a yeah, exactly exactly hope you hope you learn how to swim there you go and.

10:22.23
podcomm
Um, here’s your friendly shove. Um.

10:31.90
Orlando
But I did and it was so exciting to to jump in there and she was gonna be my first guest and I’m listening and a lesson came along that was about music and so I thought yeah yeah and I was like man.

10:41.23
podcomm
Um, they know which what do you eat? How hard could this be. But.

10:45.91
Orlando
Was like yeah I doubt it you know, but like me, you know to say I’ve done it I’m going through this experience I’ll throw some music that I had created for a totally different project on there just to see and within 30 seconds I was like oh this is going to be everything like it just completely change my vision.

11:01.51
podcomm
The moon.

11:05.86
Orlando
For the project and so what I now do is I’ve created a piece of music for each guest. Um, 1 guest said you know I thought like what what kind of music the ah thank you and it’s it’s really turned into a lot like usually the creation of the basic song is 4 hours

11:14.67
podcomm
Yeah mad props by the way that’s crazy amounts of work.

11:25.80
Orlando
And then I usually have variations of it within the episode. Um, so that’s another you know that’s probably another hour or two we could account for in the editing time where I jump out and go ooh I need this to like not have this part in it or I need this to just sort of be the drum piece. But I feel like it’s Made. Unstuck Af which is the name of the podcast. It’s made Unstuck af very specific and true to me I Love music I directed a film called dinner for two and that was all centered around music and I drove everybody crazy because they were like. This is a lowbudget film. How are we gonna get the rights to all this stuff and I was like just go make it so because I just I just love music and it’s always been a part of how I’ve experienced things and so now with these episodes I’ve really had this opportunity to flex this piece of me and jump into Garageband. Um.

12:05.21
podcomm
Um.

12:19.17
Orlando
And it’s been great. It’s been great, fun and again I feel like it’s made unstuck af specific and different and some people may find it distracting and I understand and respect that and certainly don’t want to lose people but feel like. I want this to be different I want this to be something that every couple of weeks during the season when you see that pop up that you think I’m going to have that experience and I’m not going to have that experience anywhere else. So I can choose not to have it.

12:42.49
podcomm
Um, yeah else.

12:48.65
Orlando
But it’s not like I can choose from 50 places where the host is producing a specific song for the score and I really do think of it as a score instead of it just being background music I really think of it as a score. Um.

12:53.66
podcomm
Oh.

13:01.86
Orlando
I Also respect that I’m you know creating stuff in Garageband and it does I don’t think that any of the big record companies are coming through. So I’ve been I’ve decided that I don’t create great music but I create superior music act. That’s what I’ve decided.

13:14.63
podcomm
Um I was I was that now it sounds like you’re knocking yourself down in Peck I was thinking I’ve said countless times and people say this a lot that there’s magic in the auditory experience when you when as a consumer of the piece.

13:30.52
Orlando
Um, right right.

13:32.52
podcomm
You know that nobody can see you. It’s not like like if you’re at a theater you know watching a live production. You can’t pick your nose like people are going to see you. It’s like you have to be like you have to be like on point on game and there’s something about the private the intimacy of audio we all know that and I’m I’m thinking like yeah well, you’re just sort of like being true to that.

13:45.30
Orlando
Ah, yeah.

13:50.93
podcomm
By saying well if this is audio then audio is not just you know 2 people between ferns then that then it’s also going to have some sort of sound and I like your insight about it being a sound ah a score I was gonna say it’s not just a soundtrack sorry my brain went off on a taent and I just.

13:54.51
Orlando
Right.

14:05.18
Orlando
The art.

14:10.10
podcomm
Yesterday started watching I’m halfway through the latest bond film and I noted at the beginning in the opening credits that the score is by Han Zimmer so I was just like whoa well zo man that the god zimmer to do this something like it’s just in my brain I know that the score plays such an important part in film.

14:15.55
Orlando
Oh Wow. Or yeah.

14:26.30
podcomm
Um, so now I’m like oh I guess I should score my shows. So not. Ah.

14:28.92
Orlando
Ah I think it does come out of my video. No. It. So but it. But again, it’s true to like who I am and how I experience things I think it does come out of my film background to some degree and so I do have a sense of like oh well if we set up this theme here. Then by the time it comes around at the end of the episode and if I play you know, have that in there then people are gonna experience it. So yeah, it’s ah it’s been fun.

14:45.81
podcomm
Oh amen oh let’s not start talking about film. Ah I’m a thumb of film main I’m not um yeah I’m like yeah the shark jaws. It’s just the 6 notes you know there’s the it’s just the sound. Yeah, um yeah.

14:57.97
Orlando
In that wild. Amazing! Amazing I mean it’s been how many years since that film came out and still if any of us here didn’t.

15:04.48
podcomm
Um I didn’t even I think I was too young to even see that in the original theater I’ve only ever seen that like maybe on a midnight showing somewhere I once I once saw I once had the divine privilege of seeing an original print of Dr. No the original bonfill home like 60

15:12.15
Orlando
Right? Or what.

15:20.15
Orlando
Um, no way. Wow Yeah, that’s awesome.

15:24.25
podcomm
7 or 68 or something it ran. It is a midnight movie. You know one of my little po du theaters but back in the 80 s maybe early 90 s when they still had film projectctory so it actually came around and it was like Danna Th and it actually makes a big deal out of its being in stereo.

15:39.80
Orlando
Ah.

15:41.91
podcomm
Which is the whole where I was going with this is like okay so you know things that were in stereo once used to be really amazing now. It’s all this stuff. Um, when you’re scoring. Um, what I’m thinking is the average person listening to this show. My my mom doesn’t even listen I can’t even say hi mom people.

15:45.00
Orlando
Um, right? um.

16:00.15
podcomm
Are probably not used to thinking about scoring something and I’m wondering if there are any like tips or things that you know like you could drop us some you know some truth bombs that would help us think about maybe some lessons from scoring that we can think about when we’re editing our shows.

16:01.98
Orlando
Oh.

16:08.57
Orlando
Sure, Um, absolutely I think. Really connecting to the experience. We Want people to have not necessarily just what we want them to hear or learn. But really, what’s the experience that we want them to have I think of Unstuck af very much what I came to and it served me was it’s a pregame speech for your life.

16:37.78
podcomm
Ah.

16:39.39
Orlando
I Do sports coaching as well. So like that’s a strength. Yeah you know and there’s a sense of like okay when you finish this like I want you to you know when you are done and until we sign off exactly like yeah here we go and that’s the goal and so the music is intended.

16:44.20
podcomm
Um, yeah, jump up and your chair falls over right.

16:57.50
Orlando
To sort of carry that through and to help you really tap into the experience of the person’s describing where did they get unstuck. How did they get unstuck and and end the episode on that up note of yes, we all go through things some very different than others. But that experience of.

17:13.21
podcomm
Oh.

17:13.56
Orlando
We can soldier on. We can move forward I Want to be a piece of it. So really thinking about the experience and the other is being thinking about how to repeat things without being repetitive because I think that there’s something about.

17:27.18
podcomm
Oh that’s a good point.

17:30.99
Orlando
Having you know a certain theme that’s in the music or what have you carry through and people have an emotional reaction to it even if they’re not consciously aware of it. But then you do have to be mindful that you know if they hear the same thing you know my episodes run 45 to 60 minutes no one wants to.

17:39.61
podcomm
I mean.

17:49.99
podcomm
Um, yeah, cool. Yeah, actually you actually you did you answered the answer the question exactly I think it’s pretty I Always say this is I really enjoyed doing this like highwire or trapeze work.

17:50.59
Orlando
And you know 45 to 60 minutes listen to the same my six notes right? So there you go? Yeah did I answer the question you asked me I’m not sure I did but I did okay great.

18:04.88
Orlando
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

18:07.60
podcomm
And it looks like there’s no net. We have like an opportunity at the end to decide if the show is going to see the light of day. But um, we’re really like trying to do acrobatics without a net and I always it never ceases to amaze me when you know I I smash some together words with a question Mark on the end you know and then.

18:13.36
Orlando
Yes.

18:23.96
podcomm
People managed to to go I think I see what you’re trying to ask me about so yet you asked it exactly um, any other parting thoughts as we approach the end of the drag race.

18:25.46
Orlando
Where you going right? right? right.

18:32.23
Orlando
Yeah, absolutely so heading toward season 2 and 1 of the lessons for me is that it’s okay that I’m learning and having talked to people said oh well, it was. 50 you know I’m doing 10 episode seasons. Well you know I was 50 episodes in or I was 35 episodes in or whatever it is when I felt like I really hit my stride and being open to that and just encouraging other people to be open to that I I can get very much into a perfectionist place of like this should you know stand on its own forever and it should be.

19:00.48
podcomm
The look.

19:05.66
Orlando
All figured out and you know these should be the exact questions and and there’s there’s a real fun to be had and a value in wandering down a road thinking. Ah you know if next time that kind of thing comes up I think I’ll handle it this way or that way. Um, so yeah, just. Being continually open to to things changing and happy accidents I mean again, the music I was halfway through the process of going through the workshop and really thought I was pretty close to shipping that first episode before I even discovered that music could play such a big role and now I can’t even fathom what the. Would be without it. Um, and then the other thing I would say is really think about how the podcast fits into your life and your plan or your business for me. It’s it’s really gonna be ah been a cornerstone now in the direction I’m moving of wanting to create community.

19:39.16
podcomm
Um.

19:59.80
Orlando
Around the system we’ve created for strategy and and and so we’ve got our online community that we just launched which is ah we align and so people are heading there. The podcast seems to have developed its own following and I’ve I’ve been happy with the number of downloads I don’t think Joe Rogan’s

20:13.14
podcomm
Um, nice.

20:17.45
Orlando
You know, losing any sleep over me but I definitely got yeah sure is ah we align all 1 word we WEALIGNDotAlignPDotCom so

20:18.80
podcomm
Um, does the community have a Url where where is the community. Do you have is it up.

20:32.82
Orlando
And so yeah, so come on by and check us out and really thank you so much for… Thank you so much for being out there listening and sharing and creating all these different podcasts if there’s one regret I have is that I now realize there’s no way I’m gonna make it. Even to all the podcast episodes of the people I know and love and want to support never mind everything that’s out there. Yeah yeah.

20:50.50
podcomm
Oh Amen Amen well Orlando I think that’s a delightful place to call it for today. Thank you so much for taking the time it was a pleasure to get I think this is our first actual real one on-one conversation. Not hollywood squares Zoom style. So.

21:02.53
Orlando
It is It is here here. Absolutely take care.

21:06.71
podcomm
Definitely a blast. Thank you very much.