Transcript for "Untitled - with Samantha Schuffenecker"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine. Welcome. This is the Podcaster Community show: Short conversations that are not just about podcasting …because I like take the scenic route. Our guest today is Samantha Schuffenecker. Welcome Samantha, how are you this afternoon?

00:15.34
Sam
Hi Craig I’m great.

00:20.84
Craig
We’ve um I do like to admit when I make mistakes so we did this already so congratulations of being the first person to ever be on the show twice even though the first one got deleted um I screwed up this so we record these using Zencastr and. Zancastr and and there are other ones ah squadcast riverside and I believe there’s a fourth these days. They do the really neat magical thing of giving us the full quality wav file from the guest side and when we’re done I have high quality better than what. Samantha and I hear and see during the calls I have a better quality audio but sometimes Zencastr and the others too have a little issue in Chrome and they have a little wrestling match and I wound up recording from the wrong microphone I had checked the dropdown and it said that I was using my audio interface. And of course what I hear in my ears is local from my local equipment so it sounds great to me. Samantha’s just like nodding along like I couldn’t really hear you that well. But yeah and at the end I checked my audio phone. It’s complete crap off the mic off my computer I bring this up because before we pressed record today we were talking about. Like the beginning aspects of starting out Samantha is a self-professed beginner. Um, but you’ve done the whole course and I don’t think you’re a beginner at podcasting. But anyway so I wanted to unpack all that because like yeah I screw up too and a lot of times I screw up and I leave it right in the show but that one was such a train wreck. It was unusable and. I know that you’re currently trying to decide what your title is and then it’s it’s like oh everything’s connected if I can’t figure out my title I can’t do my intro and I can’t do my artwork and I can’t submit this not to go along. Um I could just talk for 20 minutes I guess so what are your thoughts on. The amount of was going to say the amount of suckage or the beginner’s mindset that like is it what you were expecting like were you expecting? Okay this is going to be rough or is it worse than rough like the whole journey to get from 0 to podcast.

02:23.40
Sam
I wouldn’t describe it as rough because I actually like throwing myself into situations that I’m not ready for so that was actually a fun and exciting piece for me in that. I remember I can’t remember what week it was but I was just sitting there and I think we had just learned audio editing and I was so excited to get my hands on all the things and I kept doing the steps before we were actually told to do the steps so I just like dove right in and was watching Youtube videos and everything. And it’s funny that you bring up the audio because I was really worried I think last week or the week before because basically my primary form of learning things right now is to download a podcast about the thing that I’m trying to figure out. So.

03:15.41
Craig
Um, right.

03:18.91
Sam
I Listen to all kinds of podcasts with different ideas of quality for each of them and I was so worried that I had trained myself to forgive bad audio that I wouldn’t recognize bad audio in my own recordings when they happen.

03:36.15
Craig
I’m going to guess that’s not actually a problem.

03:36.37
Sam
So I actually well I don’t know I didn’t notice that you weren’t connected to your bike last time. Um, so yeah, that’s kind of where I’m at.

03:46.52
Craig
You wouldn’t noticed when you opened the wave file in your audio editor I opened it up and I was like what I mean it took like half a second I was like oh crud and then I’m like well maybe I can clean it up and leave it out there as a lesson you know that you can and I was like no I’m like how could you even hear me it was really bad. Um, yeah editing. Um I haven’t really lost my train of thought I just Craig’s brain freezes up when Craig talks about himself in third person when he has too many ideas in his head and he can’t figure out which ones to say I love the fact that you’re just like I’m throwing myself into it. And I’m wondering so my read is most people who wind up being independent podcasters. They tend to have 1 thing about it that they love and then there are some things about it that are like yeah I got to do that and then there’s like something that they hate and for me I hate editing. Has to do with the fact that I have really bad hearing. So if you ask Craig what’s it sound like it’s like well it sounds like I have hearing aids and it does not sound the way you think it sounds. Um so I hate I mean I hate editing I hate spending the time I hate fiddling I don’t like I’m a perfectionist. It’s horrible. And and I’m understanding now that you actually enjoy the editing like that’s our thing that you’re drawn to what I don’t mean to go like that’s weird. But I’m just wondering like what is it about the editing that makes you want to is it just editing your own stuff or is it. And you’re volunteering for other podcasts like is it editing anything is it the editing itself or is it something about the content that you’re editing or what’s up with that.

05:21.75
Sam
I Think the first time I realized that this is kind of funny is I Never realized that people were editing their audio or their podcast I Just thought people were having conversations and everybody was so well spoken and part of it.

05:32.20
Craig
Yeah, we have… No, nobody does it that way.

05:41.51
Sam
Part of it was my own I don’t think I’m the great a great speaker So part of it was just some relief that I could string a few sentences together and cut the silence and produce something that I was proud of and work on my speaking at the same time.

05:59.87
Sam
And the other thing was it just like opened up this whole creative aspect to podcast thing that I had never thought about before do I think that I’m going to do a really creative Podcast. Ah, with the one I’m thinking about right now probably not but it just opens something in my brain that I hadn’t really thought about before.

06:22.72
Craig
You know you can have more than 1 podcast show.

06:25.40
Sam
I I do know that.

06:32.52
Craig
Bicycle story: I have a good friend who used to own the bike star owned it for many many years and I I had bought a particular mountain bike and I rode it about three thousand miles no exaggeration and there was it was like the Ship of Thebes like there was nothing left to the bike that was originally get bike changing things and. Great guy, a little older than me had glasses on and he I bring my bike in again and he’s like kind of looks over his glasses at me and he goes Craig. You know you you can have more than one bicycle and I had just never like I was like oh right? and then I went and bought another bicycle. So um, there’s something about. Um, what is it call it the simplicity that comes from complexity. So when you start something for the very first time. It’s just rabbit holes everywhere and everything is oh my gosh. It’s all, um, ah and that’s the beginner’s mind and it’s really great if you can be really good at something and cultivate that mindset and do that intentionally. And then after a while you begin to understand this is how things are done. This is what good looks like this is what mastery looks like and then things start to get simpler and then it’s what you can do once you understand and see how and why things can be simple that you can decide to tweak. Um. So do you see yourself maybe like going really deep on editing but then kind of like backing away from it and figuring out what the minimal amount editing is that you can do because I’m wondering if do you feel like you’ve been drawn away from what originally brought you to podcasting by the excitement of editing.

07:57.74
Sam
I think so because the setting up interviews doing host on Mike things recording the introduction are all more scary to me than editing is so I can definitely you know at some point I’m gonna have to say. This is the real point of the podcast is to talk to interesting people and get their stories out there and that’s what I need to focus on and I need to cut the time I spent spend elsewhere.

08:28.38
Craig
Yeah I I I agree I think you can there’s lots of places one can hide in podcasting in host on mic stuff I hide by not doing it in the in this show I when I but years ago when I first started doing interviews I was like well I don’t know what I’m doing. But. I pretty sure if I do like 5 of them. The fifth one would be better than the first one actually got worse. They went downhill for the first 5 I think um, but it was much easier to look back and go oh that was so no, don’t do that again and move on to something else. So I think you have a good um. Mindset or a good way of looking at it like right I recognize that I’m maybe I’m on a roller coaster over here playing with editing it goes around in a big circle and it goes back to the same place I’m get back off and now that I understand that I’m going to go do this other part of it. Um, yeah, what? um. But there any other stuff you show up for a podcasting course and you you had the right attitude about like okay this is this is gonna be learning I’m I’m in all in um. Was there anything about it that surprised you like pieces of podcasting you were like I did not expect to have to use crayons or or something completely unexpected.

09:45.64
Sam
I I don’t know I think I think the editing piece was was my aha moment actually but right now right now I’m trying to pick out like the music and to.

10:02.15
Craig
Um, no, you don’t have to but yeah, it is one of the things that they suggest doing I I don’t this show doesn’t have any music this show doesn’t even have opening like there’s nothing. Um, yeah, but I’m ah I’m not implying that you should do it my way either.

10:04.61
Sam
So I didn’t realize I would have to do that or think about that. Yeah, that’s.

10:21.57
Craig
Um, man how many how many conversations have you done were you’re the host or the interview or whichever terms you prefer to use not trying to put you on the spot. Just.

10:34.25
Sam
I’ve I’ve done 5 now. Ah I think well four of them were technically practice interviews. But then I realized that hey.

10:42.64
Craig
If you’re recording… what’s the hardest part for you about ah— first of all: “interviews” or “conversations”?

10:56.18
Sam
Conversations I Guess yeah.

10:57.21
Craig
Conversations and guess that makes you then the host that’s opposed to the interviewer I’m guessing okay which is the way I prefer to use the words to me in ah to me an interview is something different. But anyway so as the host, What’s the hardest part like in the whole like.

11:13.19
Craig
Before you have the idea to talk to them all the whole gamut of things wrapped around having that conversation. What’s the hardest thing for you currently.

11:20.60
Sam
I Think the hardest thing is to I Probably overthinking this way too much, but figuring out the main points I’m trying to get out of the guest or the. Conversations that I want to bring out and ah part of that might be that I don’t have a fully fleshed idea of what the podcast is going to be but I know that that’s going to take some exploring and figure out what happens.

11:53.52
Craig
Because you can always delete the episodes like whoa wait start over doing doing doing weekly. Um, what? So. What’s the challenge. Um I forget about a week we’re in the course has been open like ten weeks or something like it’s it’s been a whole month. What’s the challenge on figuring out what the podcast is supposed to be I mean if you show up for course to create a podcast that means you’ve been thinking about it. So what are you stuck on.

12:23.65
Sam
Yeah, the thing that made the podcast real originally and made me sign up for the course was I ah had some success in playing golf last year and I played in and the us mid ameter championship which is like. I think 106 top hundred and 60 golfers in the world and that tournament as well as other tournaments I was just like I had an aha moment of competition now for me. Is not just about competition. It’s also about connection. So I really wanted to bring out showcase some conversations with those athletes and when I really got into it I was thinking. Like when I went through and the list of the people that we want to interview and and all that I noticed that the people I really wanted to have conversation with were more than just that group of people. So I’ve been. I mean maybe it is 2 podcasts that I need to create I don’t know. Um, but yeah.

13:44.51
Craig
Oh you can go the show Samantha’s curiosity and then anything fits in there like you get I considered.

13:51.93
Sam
That’s actually the I actually thought about that like oh it’s It’s the shoot show.

13:56.24
Craig
Yeah, yeah, there’s something to be said for that. That’s there’s a lot of things which begin with I don’t want to I don’t mean meaningless but begin with the title which doesn’t Pack. Um. The concept of the thing into the name so like Sesame Street right is like what’s that I mean you know if you know what sesame street is you know all about it but the title doesn’t tell you anything all about what’s going on in this children’s television program if you didn’t know what sesame street was I weep for you? Um, but anyway so you could just. Draw a line in the sand and soundpick and a title that doesn’t actually intend to convey meeting. So yeah.

14:43.53
Craig
How long you think it’s going to take you to figure out what your cycle is and do you need a domain name or you.

14:49.43
Sam
Hey I’ve taken too many akimbo classes to not see not see that that might be a sign of hiding as well. So.

14:54.10
Craig
Yeah, well I guess the the question is how long are you comfortable, not publishing you know at some point part of the reason that I do this particular show. With so little post-production is because I don’t want to wait I want to like go go go go go I want not that I want to hurry up the conversations but I want to be like oh I can only talk to 1 person a week fifty two people a year I don’t think so you know I’m to do one hundred and six months so the

15:12.25
Sam
Um.

15:24.95
Craig
Like why should I have to spend 4 hours around every half hour conversation I have longer conversations but then it’s harder to get the guests to schedule their time anyway, zooming back out. Maybe at some point you’re just going to find screw this I’m just going to start because you want to publish the content. Um, but it sounds like you’re still feeling like the balance is currently like it’s okay to be thinking about what is the show. What is the show about um.

15:47.67
Sam
Yeah I think I’m getting closer there because I really right now I Just want to do I have a list of people that I can easily start interviewing and I just want to go and I think right I just recorded my first one last week I think and. I’m at the point where I need to do an introduction to it and once I sit down and do the introduction to it. The title might come to me I feel like just doing more of more of those will help for sure.

16:11.67
Craig
Which.

16:19.29
Craig
Um, yeah, cool I’m I’m just thinking like oh I could say lots of things but I I’ll let you like a. Ah, don’t mess with the soup Craig you know like let people like Samantha’s like I start it. It’s good. We leave the leave it on simmer for a little bit longer. Ah any ah, let’s go different direction any words of wisdom for people out there who might be listening who haven’t. Even like they’re just too scared to even record anything like just but because there are people who listen to the show who consider themselves podcast creators. But that means they’re just thinking about it like oh I think maybe I could make a thing so you’re definitely further along than those people right? So what are some things that you can think of looking back.

17:08.97
Sam
I mean I’m barely further along than those people. So I definitely believe if I can do it. They can do it but 1 of my favorite thing ah things about being in these workshops is I just like.

17:13.25
Craig
Um.

17:26.24
Sam
Reading and responding to other people’s ah posts and what they’re thinking about their ideas and I wish there was like full time cheerleader for some of these things. So um, just to anybody thinking about doing a podcast you can do it and. Start somewhere.

17:46.79
Craig
Yeah, there was was that chinese proverb if there’s somewhere you need to be. You need to start walking like now you know this is like this is also the other one. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step and sometimes ends very badly is.

17:54.86
Sam
E.

18:05.99
Craig
So but you know that’s the Western Pessimistic spin on that. Um, what else? what else comes to mind give you a chance to do a little conversation from the host side.

18:18.53
Sam
Well, what’s cool about podcasting and is that even if you do all the podcasting things and you don’t come out with a podcast like I’ve found that going through those steps leads to some development. Professionally or personally like you can’t hide from that. So Even if you don’t come out with a podcast. You’re still going to come out with that.

18:46.98
Craig
I Would definitely agree. Um any last parting questions and like yeah another minute or three we could easily go.

18:58.97
Sam
Um, well I guess we did ah before we jumped on. We did a deep dive into your process on titles and sinking into that is there anything.

19:12.25
Craig
Um, that is a statement. Yes, we did do that.

19:17.35
Sam
Is there anything you want to share that would be helpful.

19:19.30
Craig
Um, I’ll be nice I won’t answer that with no so I’m a process. Not everybody knows me knows that um I have processes for everything and I was sharing with Samantha that the other project which is called movers mindset didn’t start out with that name and I got to a point where I wanted to change the name and then i. Was like doing exactly what Samantha was describing. She’s doing for her show trying to figure out what’s the title how do I name the title I was sharing for me I used a spreadsheet but anything that you can take notes with would work and I just would take time pretty much every day sometimes an hour sometimes just a few minutes and I would just. Scan down the list of these names that I had written down like an abcdefg and I got in the habit of like first thing I would do with it is take the name and search Google and like if there was something that was confusingly similar I would make a note like can’t use this. That’s ah, another podcast or whatever sometimes I’d find something and it’s like oh that’s a brand of shoes that’s probably different enough. And I would just make little notes is you know does the name is the name confusing. Is there anything like it is there literally a podcast with that name is the dot com available and I just kept making notes and I would just go around it around and I kept rearranging my worksheet. Um and I got that idea from somebody else that I know in another context. Who suggested just let it simmer but make sure you’re not losing. Don’t be like stuck on the same train of thought so that was my that was the magic sauce for me was to just like go rounding around and around and think and eventually I got down to a couple of names that I was like oh these are really cool and that the main name is available and then then I started like asking other people like. Okay I got these 2 names What do you think and then and then I felt like when I was asking people for help I felt like I had a pretty good idea and then if they went. Yeah I’m like okay maybe not that one so that that was my process was just let it simmer. So I think you’re on the right track? Um, so that’d be my suggestions for um. I think that I think the title is really hard I think it’s easier to figure out what you want to do than it is to figure out what to call it? Um, my only caution with titles is if you have to explain the title of your show. It’s not a good title. Title has to just make sense because otherwise your elevator speech which has 3 sentences in it. You’re going to spend the first sentence explaining the title of the thing which is what happened with what the original show title. But that’s my thoughts on picking titles. Hey. Well as much as I dislike burning time talking when I have a guest but cool.

21:42.14
Craig
Samantha, it was a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you again. That was nice because now we’ve had 2 conversations even though the first one I screwed up horribly. So thank you so much for taking the time to come back and help me fix my mistake. Thank you.

21:52.88
Sam
Thanks I had fun in both conversations.