Transcript for "Technology - with Rob Slater"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome Rob I’m excited I’m always excited and I don’t mean that lightly I’m always excited when I get to talk to other podcasters about podcasting ah you and I had a conversation like in Dm.

00:02.12
Rob Slater
Hi and I’m Rob Slater

00:18.14
podcomm
Ah, very briefly and and I went. That’s interesting wait What you mentioned that you were I’m going to say repurposing the things you’ve learned like the tech audio Skills. You’ve repurposed some of the things you’ve learned as you became a podcaster like directly within what you’re doing with orthod. Dantics worth it or is that the right way to say that.

00:38.79
Rob Slater
Um, yeah, exactly that’s right? Yeah, absolutely well done. It’s um yeah, my my job as an orthodontist is to straighten people’s teeth and but of course when you start out you think about how you straighten the teeth and as time goes on you realize that there’s actually something else that surrounds those teeth.

00:57.40
podcomm
Um, like yeah this is going to shape all courts that reshape all sorts of things.

00:59.19
Rob Slater
There’s ah a human being and they’ve got a life and they’ve do all sorts of other things. So and musicians are 1 thing that I suppose 1 group of people that we have specific problems with ah Ronnie Scott for example he needed some teeth extracted and when he had the teeth extracted he couldn’t play the trumpet anymore and I’m very depressed about that and so we do have a responsibility if we’re doing things to make sure that our patients know that there are risks with what they’re doing so.

01:24.21
podcomm
Whoa.

01:36.44
Rob Slater
Um I now have musicians that come to see me because they know that I do have an interest in in um, in in this but this I suppose particular part of their world. Yeah.

01:49.50
podcomm
Forte I was gonna I was going to ask you how fast do you think the word will spread but clearly they’re telling their friends immediately.

01:55.47
Rob Slater
Well, yeah, it does it. It certainly is word of mouth and these these people came to see me from about sort of sixty miles away and I’m not sure quite how they found out about me but when they came to see me they were really concerned that they’d seen 4 orthodontists before. And none of them seemed to get what what? the the difficulty was with having orthodontics and for most people it’s about the timing and they might have a big concert that they need to practice for or it could be about grades.

02:25.22
podcomm
Um.

02:28.86
Rob Slater
And or it could be that they have a difficulty that’s developing because their teeth is actually starting to move and so there are little spaces that air is escaping from and so having done the podcasting workshop and got to know you Craig and and then joined as ah, a remarkable on on subsequent ones. Ah, started to look at this when this patient came to see me and I thought I could sorry about that I’m just gonna need of that. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.

02:58.97
podcomm
It’s all good. The beauty of this is. There’s like this is just threat ever I would have completely ignored it for not recording the video. Ah.

03:06.40
Rob Slater
And I’ve been checking for flies and everything one. Ah so so anyway this guy came to see me and he wanted to have some treatment and the reason being his. 1 of his canine teeth was sticking into his cheek so he was having difficulty to get better and but he couldn’t have treatment because treatment would involve having teeth extracted but he had too much crowding. Ah for the teeth to be extracted and for him to.

03:26.40
podcomm
Ha.

03:42.18
Rob Slater
Ah, get through the treatment without destroying him potentially destroying his plate irreversibly so when he came to see me he played. Oh yeah, he plays the cornet. Yeah.

03:46.46
podcomm
And what instrument does he play or does he saying is this the cornet player man. So I long ago many many moon ago used to play Trumpet when I was like in you know a junior high in high school and I can’t imagine me playing the trumpet was painful. You know that you play long enough. Ah, can’t imagine like somebody remove a tooth or like do anything like that in your mouth. Yeah I mean how long does it take just if everything goes awesome if you remove a tooth. How long is it before you’re basically back to where you were in terms of general health.

04:18.68
Rob Slater
Well usually that will you’ll recover within a week. So normally we expect to be able to fit a brace about a week later um but the problem is that taking a 2000 is irreversible. You can’t put it back so with with this guy I said well first of all.

04:30.95
podcomm
And.

04:37.95
Rob Slater
What we need to do is not use a fixed appliance because if we put this on then the teeth will move and you can’t really put them back to where they were so I decided we could try using an aligner system and with that you map out how the teeth are going to move and then create a set of models. Perhaps 40 models of the teeth as they gradually move a little bit like sort of setting stones into a pond so that you can walk across it and and so with this it meant that I could start moving the teeth and if it disturbed his play too much then I could go backwards in the treatment and take him back to where he was originally.

04:56.75
podcomm
Um.

05:14.66
Rob Slater
And not take any teeth out and that would be a cool thing to try so we thought.

05:16.93
podcomm
Okay, that’s more than cool. That’s really neat is anybody else on the planet ever done this with like using I’m going to say acoustic feedback in the process.

05:26.43
Rob Slater
Ah, no, not that I not that I know of in this particular way anyway, so we could test test out First of all his adaptability to the appliance. So the first appliance was a blank. It wasn’t going to do anything so if he had said well i’ve. Ah, worn this for a week and now I can’t play even without it then I I could say well we haven’t moved your teeth at all and so we could then take it step by step and but the other interesting part of this was that because of the podcasting workshop I thought well why not use audacity and then I can get a visual of what his play is like. And so I got him to play some scales and play a few little pieces that he was having difficulty with now and then what we could do is see if 1 his play improves and if necessary we could retake re-record exactly the same scale and then put those on audacity side by side or.

06:17.61
podcomm
Right.

06:22.54
Rob Slater
Perhaps even overlay them and look at the differences and see what the improvements are what the if if things are getting worse and if potentially we could just go backwards in the treatment if necessary and then record again and see if the yeah if the recordings improve. Ah.

06:25.33
podcomm
From ah.

06:38.83
podcomm
Yeah, or pause at 1 step like whoa that you know what you thought what you thought as a orthodontist would be a small change. That’s a big deal for him. Okay, let’s just sit here for weeks or months while he relearns to play each step of the way.

06:41.69
Rob Slater
So.

06:46.29
Rob Slater
Um, yeah, and what what’s actually come out of this is that because when you’ve got teeth which are very crowded create spaces that are actually closed up a little bit when you have the aligner in and so he’s. I said well surely you know you just take your aligners out. Um, you know how many hours a day are you playing you know because you need to wear the aligners and he said no I’m actually playing with the aligners in so so he’s found that there’s more benefit to him having the aligners in so that’s reducing air escape.

07:13.41
podcomm
Huh.

07:20.86
Rob Slater
To leaving them out so when he played he keep he kept them in and it’s just those very very high notes that he has difficulty with but there hasn’t been any deterioration and he thinks now he’s getting better with the yeah with the aligners so that.

07:30.31
podcomm
Um, that’s fast. Okay, that’s fast.

07:40.13
Rob Slater
And so over the summer he’s taking his grade 8 and he’s also got a big national concert because he’s in this national band and he’s going to play at that and then we have this gap and so we’ve arranged it with his dentists to now have his teeth removed and then we will switch. And then we’ll get the treatment done and I’m hoping that we can do his treatment over a six month period and but I can only do that because I’ve got so far with the aligner system without taking teeth out. So it. It reduces the amount of time he has with the fine tuning thing that we’ll use later.

08:05.36
podcomm
Huh.

08:17.22
Rob Slater
So yeah, that said that that’s the exciting thing about this.

08:18.64
podcomm
Um, have you talked to ah, it’s a which-way book. Do we want to say have you talked to any other podcasters who you’ve seen this spark some like I’m going this is really cool, but it’s not making me think like oh you know what I want to do. Have you talked to other podcasters who want to run with this and I was also going to say have you talked to other dentists and orthodontists about this who’ve thought of new projects to work on so there’s like 2 different ways to go with the same kind of idea.

08:44.54
Rob Slater
Well I haven’t talked to any podcasters about it that much Actually so it’s really interesting that you picked up on it. But I’ve certainly talked to my associate and he’s really he was really interested to this idea that you can go backwards in treatment and put put things back where they were. Because there are so many patients out there that you are worried that they may have some kind of dysmorphic problem. That’s in the Background. So if you can put the teeth back to exactly where they were then it’s it’s ah it’s a great way to um, ah, balance risk and and benefit for for the individual.

09:17.85
podcomm
M.

09:21.74
Rob Slater
So yeah, it’s it’s it’s It’s quite interesting and I hadn’t really thought about so orthodontics in that way until I started using the aligner systems.

09:29.63
podcomm
Ah. Get 900 questions. Um, are you trying to like what I wanted to say is how much Bandwidth Do you have like you know are you imagining this is going to be something that you’re just going to mix in with what you and your partner currently do or is it like whoa we could We could pivot and become the world. You know leaders and because there are you know a lot of people. Not you know, not just like primary secondary school students. There are a ton of people who play woodwind instruments brass instruments as a whole and singers and opera I mean like this is not I mean it’s a niche but it’s a huge market of people.

10:02.66
Rob Slater
You.

10:09.35
Rob Slater
Yeah, well the thing is it. It started off for me with somebody from a symphony orchestra who had teeth which were starting to cross over his lower incisor teeth and as a trumpet player. The air escape was increasing and he felt that he couldn’t get that bit a little bit further and so when we did the treatment for him. I did go and see the symphony orchestra once about a couple of years after I’d seen him and and completed the treatment and he was playing first trumpet so it he clearly know it could be just that that mindset changed and so he you know then could move forwards but it it was interesting that it.

10:37.16
podcomm
M.

10:48.31
Rob Slater
Did and in in in our area because we have this major orchestra it means that these people all need other jobs outside of what they do So they all teach music in the evenings. So we have stacks of kids in all the schools being taught by these people and we have Symphonia for the kids we have these central.

11:00.51
podcomm
Whom.

11:08.10
Rob Slater
Um, windboned or you know all sorts of things. My son played recorder for years and and did really well at at that and so I suppose it’s always been in the back of my mind and combining that with the yeah, the technology that we use for podcasting was this sort of. Ah, bringing together of 2 different worlds and I suppose I don’t think of myself as somebody who is desperately trying to claw my way to be a world leader and and I think it’s one of those things where if you just work hard at something then things just kind of happen really and and and then and my name seems to just become.

11:44.24
podcomm
I’ve always been lucky in the harder I work the luckier I get.

11:45.54
Rob Slater
Exactly the gary player and so it’s exactly that isn’t that you you just fall into these little rabbit holes and and and off you go. But yeah, it’s it’s quite. It’s fun and it makes your work more interesting doesn’t it if you don’t just do your day job and more and go home.

12:02.54
podcomm
Yeah, have you? Um How how do you it My perspective. How do you resist the urge to like build a sound studio in your dentist office and just like go down the rabbit hole of all the tech like how do you manage to. Bring enough of it in so that it’s helpful to the people that you’re working with and not have it I always say none of it eat your face like ah.

12:27.45
Rob Slater
Well I’m I’m really glad you asked that question because the average dental surgery or clinic is like a kitchen and of course as podcasters. We all know that the kitchen is the worst place to record and and so we’ve got this clinic. Um, fortunately in the clinic there are these wiped down ah paintings that we have so that I suppose gives a little bit of reduction in the reverb and fortunately didn’t sound as bad but I I am thinking that as we as we do this if we get more and more of them. We will start to have to. A room that’s that’s specific for this purpose with that a bit of baffling around because I think the reef reverb might get in the way if we’re really starting to look at at fine tuning. Yeah, these really small small areas then then we will need more. So yeah I think it’s a rabbit hole how about to step into Greg.

13:06.41
podcomm
And.

13:22.59
podcomm
Have you seen? Um I can’t remember what it’s called So there’s obviously there’s so many different ways to set up your microphones. But then people start talking about like recording in stereo and then there are ways to set up. Um.

13:23.91
Rob Slater
But but.

13:40.93
podcomm
Spatial recording like Dolby surround sound is a common 1 people have heard of it. It just you know they use multiple microphones. Um, but there’s a specific geometry to how those mics are set up and that’s how they figure out what we’ve recorded and then how do you reproduce the sound. Um and there’s one I can’t I think it might be called binaural recording where um.

13:51.40
Rob Slater
Are.

14:00.23
podcomm
It’s basically a mannequin head except the head is specially like the material and everything is special and the microphones are inside ear canals built in the dummy head. So the thing has ears and everything and and what it’s trying to mimic is well.

14:00.86
Rob Slater
Africa.

14:17.63
podcomm
None of these recording systems are actually picking up what my ears hear if I sit in the theater because you know my hearing is crappy but the normal person has good binaural hearing but your pickup mics are mounted in these little tunnels inside these you know cartilage pickup systems.

14:24.17
Rob Slater
Which one.

14:36.80
podcomm
So they actually have binaural dummy heads that you in there that you put the thing in the room and it’s just a head with a pair of ears. Um, and I’m almost wondering if it might also be interesting I mean you know maybe you don’t want to do that because the thing is is is expensive but maybe what you want to do is expand from.

14:41.19
Rob Slater
Swear. So.

14:53.80
podcomm
Just recording a single channel to maybe recording them just in in regular stereo like at a specific distance so that you have a more reproducible system or like ah not more reproducible but like a system that captured even better quality. Audio.

15:05.59
Rob Slater
Well led the I’m going I’m going to tell you Ah I’m going how primitive my my setup is I I use my laptop with the the mic in the laptop and and just as he’s about to play because I haven’t considered it before is.

15:13.22
podcomm
Um.

15:25.47
Rob Slater
Tickling the 12 are we going to tickle the 12 be with me being in this part of the room I think we tickled the hundred it was. It was a blasting red. So I’ve moved back in the room.

15:26.00
podcomm
Um, ah yeah.

15:36.11
podcomm
The mm.

15:38.10
Rob Slater
But I was amazed at how it’s sort of almost a reverse of a sort of logarithmic scale as I move back. It just came right down very very quickly. So there’s there’s clearly this sweet spot in the room where I yeah I’ll have to be and I kind of know where that sweet spot is now. But.

15:42.58
podcomm
Yeah.

15:54.25
Rob Slater
Yes I think I’m going to need to hit up my game with the technology.

15:55.83
podcomm
Or you know hey tech tech geeking they make those little collapsible. It’s like a plastic collapsible box that’s got a side missing. So it’s a 5 ive-sided cube and the inside. It is all full of egg foam and then you can put your microphone in there so that the the thing is like a directional pickup and things don’t echo off of it.

16:11.94
Rob Slater
Yeah.

16:15.69
podcomm
Um, it works pretty well if you around but a very quiet room and the other thing I was thinking was ah way way way down in that geeky land. The recording systems are just recording numbers just an integer and then they sample how louder things right now and they just record that as a stream of numbers. Um.

16:32.77
Rob Slater
Yeah, yeah.

16:35.59
podcomm
And the latest in recording equipment I’m looking I think I’m recording in 32 bit but the latest recording equipment records in 64 bit and with the microphones that are on there. There’s no more record level the range of that you can represent with 64 bits is so wide. That you can scream into the equipment and like there’s no ceiling in terms of what it can record. There might be something else to look at it would be like oh maybe I can just pick up a 64 bit Zoom recorder and there are other ones out there. Um, and then you can just be like whoa.

16:54.70
Rob Slater
Um, where and yeah.

17:07.38
podcomm
Take one the hundred but the recorder doesn’t clip because you have a ton of range That’s just something I was like I I keep looking for an excuse to need that so that I can buy new gear I don’t know if that’s going to fly but I’m like O just something I thought of.

17:18.41
Rob Slater
Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that’s that’s really interesting have to try that. Yeah, so.

17:28.27
podcomm
What the so like I’ll fish for other interesting things. So now that you’ve gone or at least you’ve seen the rabbit hole of using audio technology in in like your regular normal Work. Um has this. Affected how you do your podcasts at all like is this is it come back the other way now in any.

17:47.19
Rob Slater
I I think um, um, I’ve done I’ve been interviewed by tannya Tony Del Rio for her podcast. Happy healthy, healthy and zen and it’s it’s at the moment there are these two start slightly separate worlds. It seems that there’s the my. There’s my professional work. And then there’s the podcasting world and then there are these occasional little sort of strands that bring them together but in a way what I quite like with the podcasting is to keep it keep it separate because what it is for me is it’s it’s this regular creative thing that I’m under pressure to. To produce and having that pressure there knowing that by Wednesday I need an idea and that idea needs to be actually something tangible by Friday so that it can be published on on Saturday has led me to being a little bit more imaginative about what I do with my blogs on my website.

18:34.13
podcomm
Um.

18:44.90
Rob Slater
Um, professionally as well. So there are the I think creativity is is is a good thing and within the within the dental medical profession creativity can be something of a problem because if you go too far. Um out there and you can get into trouble.

19:02.12
podcomm
Ah, no.

19:04.00
Rob Slater
And so I’m looking really at ways of being innovative but knowing that what I’m doing is really good and safe for for for the patient another a lot of these ideas have come out of podcasting really because of having to be creative every week and so. This week this week for example I I was thinking what am I going to do and and Wednesday’s always the day when I think what? what on earth am I going to do this week and it just occurred to me that the there was the football was on on Tuesday so england played Denmark and england actually beat Denmark. And thought well it would be sort of quite interesting to do something about that because the first match christian ericsson the Denmark’s best striker he collapsed on the pitch and he had cpr he was taken off. There was a great worry about him dying and he survived. He’s been in hospital and the national. Danish team have really, they’re playing in his spirit now and they’ve got to the court’s quarterfinals semifinals and so it was like this double-edged thing that england had beaten them and they’ve come all this way through the tournament from this first. The very first game of the tournament this disaster happened. And they’ve come through to to to the semifinal so it was interesting to sort of think about that in relation to the development of football and how it went from being 2 villagers fighting over a ball and trying to get it to the other person’s parish church and people being killed. In that process and football being banned as well in the fifteenth century. Ah so it would be quite good to try and put something brings all of that together. So so that’s been this week’s podcast but I don’t think I’d have thought ah about things in that way prior to prior to doing the yeah. Ah, podcasting workshop.

21:02.96
podcomm
Um, well super interesting I hope everybody has found a new a new I don’t want to say excuse but a new excuse for like no wait this tech stuff that I’m doing it tends to come back around these ideas that we don’t realize we’re planting they sprout up in unexpected places with new. New ideas. Well Rob is a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you and but you’re too kind. But thank you all right? have a good day Thanks.

21:28.85
Rob Slater
It’s a real honor to be um, asked to talk to you. Thanks! Very much.