Transcript for "Synosure - with David Bourne"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine today I’m talking with David Bourne David thank you so much for taking the time to join me. How are you this morning.

00:10.15
David Bourne
I’m doing great and thank you Craig for this series. You know I’ve listened to several of them and I just think it’s awesome that you’re doing this and how you do it. So really appreciate you having me on. Ah.

00:16.88
podcomm
Thank you. Totally selfish I’m doing it just because it’s fun. It’s awesome to talk to people I love um, so you’ve been in akimba courses I’ve been into Kim of courses and there’s that there’s the moment where you pass I’m going to say you pass someone in the hall. It’s all virtual you pass somebody in the hall and you’re like o.

00:31.86
David Bourne
New.

00:40.70
podcomm
Like to talk to that person some more so big part of the podcaster community these interviews in these conversations these chances to connect is just I want to circle back and talk to all the people that I didn’t get chance to talk to. So um I appreciate that you recognize that it’s cool and that you appreciate it. So um, but like I said thanks for joining me. Um.

00:51.66
David Bourne
Yeah, um. Sure.

01:00.21
podcomm
Let’s start by talking about um the season. So you’re in western North Carolina I had the privilege of visiting North Carolina I had only but ever been to what I’m going to say is like the seaside eastern North Carolina I’ve been there a few times I have some friends there and it’s in some sense. It’s very much like.

01:11.95
David Bourne
Yes.

01:19.23
podcomm
Pennsylvania where I am except it’s a little flatter and sandier but when I drove to western North Carolina I was like oh this is not not rural, but this is beautiful. It’s it’s more than rolling hills it’s you know mountains and valleys and evergreen and deciduous. So I’m my first question is as they like.

01:20.55
David Bourne
Move.

01:29.19
David Bourne
M.

01:38.56
podcomm
Very briefly like for two days what are your thoughts on the seasons there like you know when you move into a place I don’t mean a home but when you move into a new region or a new area. It’s going to take a few years for it to get a feel for like what are what are winters like what are summers does this place have for real seasons.

01:42.85
David Bourne
No.

01:54.76
David Bourne
Um, yeah.

01:56.58
podcomm
And I’m just wondering what your read is on how are the seasons there. How are the spaces the big open spaces there. How does that play into your personal seasons and cycles.

02:05.51
David Bourne
Um, yeah, well we have 4 seasons for sure. They’re very distinct and we have hot summers and cold winters. The spring which is where we are now the beginning of spring my favorite time of the year you know it’s full of flowers. It’s full of ah green bright just just joyful growth and so. Um, and then the fall is probably the most visited time of of the seasons here because the the fall colors with the leaves are just stunning and I live in Asheville North Carolina which is a. It’s a tourist town surrounded by the Southern Appalachian mountains it is pretty much the oldest mountain chain in the world and because we’re in the south. We do get those those 4 seasons. And I love that question because I’m trying to tap more and more into that thing meaning that the the cycle of the seasons of and of the critters and the plants that we see feel like as human beings that. Is literally part of us and how we got here and we’re kind of living like zoo animals indoors which is very comfortable. Yeah, it’s comfortable. But we’re missing out on a lot.

03:47.75
podcomm
In in denial right.

03:56.30
David Bourne
And I think those of us who do who do go outside you know regularly Intentionally we’re like Wow this is awesome and so yeah, and no I don’t want to go live in the woods I Love my house and my electronic.

04:03.88
podcomm
This is awesome in the way it should be Yeah, oh.

04:15.20
podcomm
And the roof and the windows right? and the mosquito screens. Oh.

04:15.52
David Bourne
Gear? Ah very attached. Yeah and the heat me a I mean all I you know I’m not knocking all that. But but we’re definitely ah, we’re in a place where where we’ve gotten an imbalance and I. You know the the ecological environmental situation. We’re in is is the biggest proof of that we won’t go in that direction. But yeah, so I think what I’m what I’m trying to do to to answer your question. But little bit more specifically I’m trying to daily regularly connect with the outdoors I’ve got a short form podcast I Call the Davo Show. It’s named after one of my internal characters. And my artistic character and the point of that is to like if I’m out there and I hear something I’ll start recording and then I’ll start talking and the idea is that like like this show here. The idea is to reduce the friction Of. Of post meaning the editing and the publishing still working on that but get it out there and let it let it be what it’s going to be and intentionally trying to do that with nature related content.

05:29.21
podcomm
Yeah.

05:36.20
podcomm
Right.

05:47.61
David Bourne
For one because I believe that others could benefit from that. But I know I could benefit from it. So it’s been great.

05:52.75
podcomm
Right? This may sound tangential what what would you say is your primary sense like when you go out, you know you step out of your house. Um I’m in a suburban neighborhood. You can’t really see out my window because it’s actually so sunny today I have to close the curtains. Um.

06:11.85
podcomm
But you know it’s twenty feet to the next house and then if you walk a quarterm mile. You’re into a large like thousand acre wildlands conservancy on actually the same appalllach mountains running through my area so I can hike up ooh. It’s like a whopping one hundred and fifty feet high is all it’s left of the mountain. But there’s some small rocks up there where you can boulder. So.

06:18.96
David Bourne
Wow! yeah.

06:30.33
David Bourne
Call.

06:31.57
podcomm
Um I don’t go out literally every day but I try to go out every day. Go for a walk go for a hike go for you know some rock climbing and when you go outside you know when you walk out of your doomicile right? like the environment is completely different and when you step out.

06:36.75
David Bourne
Great.

06:47.81
podcomm
Wondering which of your senses. Do you think you you settle into first you know touch sight sound smell.

06:56.65
David Bourne
Do I settle into that’s a good question. Well I have been a video guy since my early 20 s and so I’m a very visual person. But. Being a video guy you have to learn audio and you quickly learn that if you’re creating a a video that the audio is actually where the story is told and so as a podcaster. Um. The the audio you know it’s kind of like the background soundtrack to our lives in the sense that it’s um I don’t know I think visual is more of a um. Ah top mind like a frontal lobe thing and audio is more of a subconscious thing like if the if the if the mountain lion is behind you. You know that part of your that part of your consciousness is.

07:54.70
podcomm
Um.

08:03.99
podcomm
And yeah.

08:09.86
David Bourne
Always working. In fact, it’s working in your sleep and that’s you know it keeps us safe and so it’s probably part of you know the lizard brain that Seth Godin talks about so much. So I guess as I’m on this exploration to try to to. Learn more about myself and just the human psyche I’m more interested now in in the ah the audio I still love the visual. And you know that flower. That’s those that are popping up out of the ground I hope they’re popping up for you like they are for me but man my eye goes to that and I immediately like oh I got to go look at that. Um, but what I’ve been doing lately is is trying to sit on my back porch. And just listen and I’ve really you know that’s really changed me in some big ways to give that time because when I look out over the woods in my backyard I live next to the um to the Blue Ridge Parkway which is a. National park which is fantastic I mean I love love love that you know the visual doesn’t change much the trees are swaying and and there might be some birds come in and out but the audible the audio is.

09:28.34
podcomm
Yeah.

09:40.55
David Bourne
Always changing and so ah, you know the owls. So for some reason have really captured me I don’t hear him that often. But when I do I’m like just a visceral clunk just happens in my chest.

09:51.46
podcomm
Um.

09:59.65
David Bourne
That’s my next podcast that I’m working on is is trying to figure that one out So that’s.

10:04.55
podcomm
Um, I Wonder if you have you given any thought to or we’re you know, weaving visual and audio in the discussion here and I had a conversation once with a gentleman who was talking about and I’m not a guru at eyes. But he was talking about how in order for your eyes to focus I Hope I have this right to focus close that requires muscular contraction to to make the lens work so you can read up close and to focus at an effectively of Infinite distance.

10:30.26
David Bourne
Fun.

10:38.83
podcomm
Is a relaxed position for your eyes focusing muscles I hope I have that right? and the point that he made was that if you are in a built space. So you’re in ah you know this room at most I have fifteen feet you know across the room to my left but when i’m.

10:39.49
David Bourne
Ah, that makes sense.

10:57.55
podcomm
Looking at my computer. It’s three feet at most. So if you spend all your time indoors. His point was you’re always holding this particular level and variations of a mostly contracted muscle tension in your eyes. It doesn’t sound like much because they’re tiny little muscles but his point was one of the things that he felt was um.

11:08.25
David Bourne
Interesting.

11:18.33
podcomm
Transformative for him like ah was when he walked outside and I always talk about like video like racking focus. It’s like you release the tension in your eyes and and like your focus literally Drifts as your eye shape. Relaxes.

11:36.53
podcomm
And it drifts out to the treetops to the horizon to whatever is the farthest thing way you can see to the clouds to the plane overhead and and I said to him Oh I had never really thought about that. But I’ve I have noticed not ever noticing that that I also tend to look up and when I walk out the front door and look up.

11:55.10
podcomm
It turns into a thoracic extension because you you know you’re like ah and like I’m like gazing away from my microphone. But when I look up like that in combination with the visual relaxation. It just settles through like your whole body and gives you that physical grounding. Um, so I’m notorious for rambling but my my question is.

11:56.10
David Bourne
Um, yeah.

12:05.47
David Bourne
Um, now I get it I’m with you. Ah.

12:13.85
podcomm
Aside from what are your thoughts on all that but you were talking about treetops and I’m thinking I wonder if you’ve ever noticed where your attention goes first when you first walk outside does it go to the ground does it go to the middle distance does it go up to the treetops to see what the sky is up to.

12:24.16
David Bourne
Name this.

12:30.16
David Bourne
Well I can tell you that it does not go to the treetops and this is this is why I know this when I walk outside. Ah I have been surprised like this owl. For example. We have them. We hear them. Not all the time but they live here and I I walked out a few months ago and there was an owl that flew off and we have hawks that flew off and I’m like that gum. It.

12:53.70
podcomm
Right.

13:06.49
David Bourne
You know I could have seen that had I been looking up so I’m definitely not looking up by default I Guess I’m looking as would be safe. You know you’re trying to if you’re Moving. You’re looking where you’re going. We do have ah we have bears in the area. Um, and you know bears will leave you alone pretty much but I’ve walked out the door and there’s been a bear nearby but there’s nothing dangerous, but. You know sometimes I’ll I’ll remember Oh yeah, there might be a bear out there especially at night. Yeah, so yeah I don’t know I really hadn’t thought about that except for that thinking? Oh I need to not scare away some cool.

13:43.98
podcomm
Yeah, there’s an instinct to look down to look around.

14:01.64
David Bourne
Hawk or owl that might be sitting out there on the branch. But yeah I like that idea you you mentioned about the the eyes and the looking up remind me of Amy Cutty’s book where she talks about our body position determining our emotional state and. You know if we want to get in a in a great emotional state. We go outside raise our arms up look up kind of in the victory position. She’s actually seen people find great benefit doing that like ptsd.

14:25.73
podcomm
Ah.

14:39.48
David Bourne
Sufferers and you know hunched over our phones as we tend to do in our zoo in the zoo looking at our screen. We’re not even looking at the fifteen feet of walls Greg we’re just looking at our screens.

14:43.32
podcomm
Ah, yeah, yeah, ah.

14:52.22
podcomm
Um, eighteen inches I’m reminded of what was it so long and thanks for all the fish Douglas Adams his book where he had a character who built an asylum except the asylum was for the world and when you ah.

14:57.40
David Bourne
And then.

15:09.60
David Bourne
Um.

15:11.80
podcomm
Approached his home. He lived near the shore when you approached his home. The part of the house you were looking at was a a furnished open like a colinade like you’re you’re looking at carpeting and you’re looking at walls with artwork. It’s just wide open to you and there’s like an inside ceiling tipped up and when you open The. Door. It’s an exterior Door. You’re on looking at the inside of the door you open the door. It opens out and you step into the square like an enclosed space and this guy had kind of you know, ironically built an asylum for the world and the only place that was outside the Asylum was the Square area. But we would say inside his home but the inside Square area had the external siding and the gutters were there was like the house was inside out just reminds me of that idea of like yes, there’s an asylum and how do I get out of it.

15:55.61
David Bourne
Yeah, well you know I think it’s all about just trying to be conscious, whatever it is. You’re doing a you know personal growth just trying to remember Oh yeah. There’s a better way to do anything but getting out of that getting out of that that close minded box that we that we tend to get in.

16:15.96
podcomm
Yeah.

16:32.29
David Bourne
And finding finding things to to help us get out like this podcast is a great example. You know you’re trying to expand conversations talk to people you haven’t talked to ah it’s just you know we live in an amazing time. On the 1 hand technology’s increasingly taking over our lives. But hopefully they’re going to be more of us thinking you know what? Okay yeah, tech’s great but I want to go outside and the pandemic helped for with that right.

17:07.56
podcomm
Yeah I think a lot of people have got their heads adjusted. Um I I’m always hesitant to say anything good came out of the pandemic but a lot of people realized just how out of control their usage of well most people don’t use technology most people allow themselves to be used by technology.

17:11.27
David Bourne
I Hope so.

17:26.40
podcomm
Have to check I have a soapbox about social media make sure I’m not on it I’m not on it. Um, but I think people began to realize like okay every time I open my phone I get stressed out. So I think I need to figure how to control that. So I think people got a wake up call that way people realize just how unimportant most people’s jobs like you know.

17:45.53
podcomm
I used to go to this job I was a big deal i’ I urge it i’ like I haven’t been there in three weeks doesn’t seem like the world ended. So I think it was a good reset in that sense but we’ll see whether people rush back I don’t know I’m in the northeast traditional northeast carridor and the traffic is back to normal and the people are back to normal and that you know so.

17:49.48
David Bourne
Yeah.

17:58.90
David Bourne
Yeah, yeah, well.

18:04.61
podcomm
About 1 last random. Um since I have a bit of visual info I can see stars is a thing I’m wondering I’m betting. You’re probably got some good dark skies. So talk to me a little bit about the night sky and stars both in your personal experience of them where you are and.

18:22.90
podcomm
Maybe what your thoughts are on how looking up at night seems to consistently transport people to a higher state of consciousness to a deeper thought process.

18:34.16
David Bourne
Wow! Yeah. What can I say about that all right? Well so for the last couple years I have been focused on what a lot of people call the change cycle. It’s the cyclical thing we see in nature. We start talking about the 4 seasons. So the north star is a good metaphor for the higher stealth. The the you know, call it what you will, but. That part of us that we intuitively know is our best self and so I think it’s a great metaphor because and are the north stars always in 1 spot and it’s. For those of us who live in the northern hemisphere that is and so it’s always there. You know this better part of us this part of us that we tap into when we go on a hike or when we even look at ah you know something beautiful. Maybe it’s a piece of artwork. Maybe it’s a flower sitting on the desk in the kitchen or you know it’s it’s it’s always there and so that night sky and looking up at the at the vastness. Feel like okay, well that’s inside us that vastness and again circling back to this type of conversation that you’re doing with this podcast that’s part of the vastness because when you and I talk yeah, we’re just 2 people. Spouting off ideas. But um, really, we’re making the opportunity to connect in a deeper way and podcasting allows us to do that. You know we can find. People who just have this vast depth and papers. You know I think about rich roll who’s somebody I um, yeah yeah I mean.

20:57.31
podcomm
Yeah, it’s a good podcast if people just went what look up the rich role podcast.

21:06.94
David Bourne
That guy has figured it out. He’s built a great business career life around having conversations. Yeah, they’re 2 hours long ah but it’s that it’s like looking up at the north star you know it’s like um. Because inevitably there’ll be something in a conversation where I’ll go oh that sounds like truth and I think a north star that vastness of the nice guy. It is is a deeper truth there. And so for my work which you can find at http://davidbourne.combour any my work is you know? Finally I’m fifty three years old I finally realize you know this is what I want my work to be about. And I struggle with understanding like why am I so interested in tech why am I so interested in in in in nature. How am I going to bring all this together. Well now I’m doing life coaching which is sitting down with people one on one and just pushing this ball forward of making a better life. Whatever that means to someone else and so you know Martha Beck who I’m studying with her. She wrote a book called finding your north star and I found that about six months ago and I’m like wow there it is you know. So and that synchronicity of of things like that happening in your life. Um, where here’s this conversation that we’re having we I didn’t intend for it to go here. But you started talking about stars. Well. That north star idea man that’s been a big part of my life for the last two years and so it’s a perfect analogy for for I think what we’re both doing which is just exploring expanding. You know, looking for that sense of awe and wonder that’s out there if you choose to look.

23:26.36
podcomm
Thank you for sharing that I think that’s a great observation. My mind is dredging up all this Huxley’s metaphor of island universes about each person is an island universe I’m just thinking hey it was a delight to get the chance to paddle over to your island universe visit you for.

23:46.35
podcomm
Twenty some minutes um and I’ll get out of your hair now. So but more seriously thank you for taking the time. Um I had a chance to talk with you I think very briefly on a call once before, but this was a distinct pleasure. Thanks David.

23:58.49
David Bourne
Yeah, thank you Craig keep doing what you’re doing and um, you know the podcaster community that you’ve initiated is is awesome as I dig in deeper into podcasting I’m going to dig in deeper to that. So I appreciate you doing that. And um, you know like I said selfishly I’ll say you can find me at http://davidbourne.com and I am in let’s keep this. Let’s keep this ball rolling.