Transcript for "Storycraft - with Brigitte Cutshall"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Kontantin hi Bridget it’s a pleasure to get a chance to sit down and talk a pleasure to meet you. We haven’t spoken before um I do a little discussion before this just so people can get a feel for how crazy I mean how Craig does things.

00:01.61
Brigitte Cutshall
Hi y’all Berja cut. All.

00:18.20
podcomm
And I wanted to just say we started talking about I you know I say podcasting and then people will respond and you started talking you launched right into talking about stories and storytelling and it sounds like you have a. Ah, little twist on that about learning through storytelling and I’m I’m wondering when you talk about Storytelling. What is it that you think it can do that’s special.

00:43.77
Brigitte Cutshall
Ah, what I try to do is learn from other people’s experiences you know everybody think thinks they have problems that no one else has experienced which is not true right? and we all have dealt with something similar and I think that’s.

00:56.31
podcomm
Right.

01:03.60
Brigitte Cutshall
Why I like um to listen to podcasts or listen to like like radio stations and to the more of the stories I Just like to learn from that and the other I’ve written a couple of books and some of more sharing stories of my experiences or. People that have connected with me and I just like the openness of it right? I mean you can make it like a lot of fiction books by the way it really are based on some of it is based on experiences but they’re not but they’re trying to hide the actual people if you think about it and it’s.

01:34.54
podcomm
Um.

01:40.40
Brigitte Cutshall
That’s kind of how I’ve always been that person I I should say almost had kid. Um, who was really into stories and making stuff up right in a situation I don’t know why I was that way but I think because um. Maybe was the generation I grew up in. We had more free time that right it so we had to be creative right? Interesting so Lisa was trying to do it in a good way and not bad. Um, right, that’s kind of what it is right? My parents were like i.

01:58.19
podcomm
Yes, Amen I’m I’m I’m in pre-internet. Yeah.

02:08.30
podcomm
Um, if I asked your parents would they agree or would they disagree.

02:16.70
Brigitte Cutshall
I Had an older brother right? So um, he’s still around but I was always trying to get his attention so I would write stories and he was into sports so I would write a story about some football game which I didn’t give a crap about football but I would write like a story for him about how the game went and I would tape it to his door.

02:30.86
podcomm
Um.

02:35.73
Brigitte Cutshall
That’s just something I’ve always been interested in and then I like to listen to other people shortly stories.

02:38.28
podcomm
Have you thought about the this is’m I’m ah people would say I’m a pretty good storyteller but it’s not something that I’ve tried to deploy intentionally like I haven’t tried to write a book I haven’t tried to like and I’m not creating a podcast where I’m telling stories specifically but I’m wondering if you’ve thought about.

02:48.63
Brigitte Cutshall
Right.

02:55.60
Brigitte Cutshall
Are.

02:58.73
podcomm
Differences between storytelling in written format versus storytelling like when you’re podcasting and I’m just wondering like people talk about voice like we have ah a voice that we speak with and then you have the variation of Craig that tells stories gets crazy and emphatic and waves I’m waving my hands around a lot. Um. And then when I tried to write I went ah that voice is not the same so have you have you have you struggled with changing from written to podcasting or back and forth or thoughts on that.

03:21.10
Brigitte Cutshall
It’s different… It’s definitely different. Well I’ve been told my writing style is Conversational. That’s just kind of that’s the way I write and but I am my poor sons they said I was a grammar Nazi growing up because because I’ve always just been so into.

03:44.62
podcomm
Yeah.

03:44.62
Brigitte Cutshall
But how you were taught how grammar is and so I try not to get so so focused into that and I think that’s why people like podcasting too because it flows. It’s a kind most of the time It’s a conversation that with a background is around a story right? So it for me.

03:58.23
podcomm
Right? right.

04:04.13
Brigitte Cutshall
I was surprised really surprised when people when I first I was afraid to do this to talk on a podcast or be record I don’t know why but people said they liked my voice and but I needed that encouragement right? And that’s probably why I but I don’t you feel you’re not confident.

04:17.85
podcomm
Yeah, yeah.

04:23.82
Brigitte Cutshall
And certain areas and you’re more confident in others whereas a lot of people they feel they can hide behind the words in a book right? and and I know ah right I know a woman who is a great public speaker. She makes a lot of money but she’s terrified to write a book.

04:29.55
podcomm
Yeah, yeah, yeah I can be out of sight.

04:40.75
podcomm
Um, ah or.

04:42.77
Brigitte Cutshall
Because it’s permanent right? where I’m the opposite I was terrified to like record my voice you know and be in front of people I should say terrified but ever it just depends on your upbringing and your and your personality and what your um.

04:49.33
podcomm
M.

04:59.50
podcomm
Yeah, what you got comfortable with right.

04:59.87
Brigitte Cutshall
But you like to do and so I’ve learned right? What you’re comfortable with and I thought that was um, like I told her you need to write a book. She’s like she’s terrified because it’s permanent. That’s her opinion and I said well to me video recording is just as permanent you know and your audio is just as permanent. And but people feel like they’re like the podcasting or that’s why I don’t know I should say radio stations but they have a connection with you because they are. You’re like you’re there with them and audio yeah it’s very it just depends on your your preference and.

05:30.89
podcomm
Um, yeah, the audio medium.

05:39.30
Brigitte Cutshall
That’s why I’m kind of playing around with a little bit I’d rather do um, try out both so makes sense and that’s kind of why some of my odd audio recordings in the past I’ve written some in advance but then you can’t read it the way you wrote it.

05:52.21
podcomm
Yes, it’s tough. Ah some people apparently can some people apparently can write force come on Craig words into sentences put some people apparently can can do screenwriting jae like my dictionary lookup is slow.

06:05.49
Brigitte Cutshall
Yes.

06:09.10
podcomm
But people who write for the screen or who write for Tv they obviously have to be able to do it. So it’s clearly a thing that can be done but it’s ah a very different muscle.

06:15.86
Brigitte Cutshall
I learned that last year by the way and 2020 um, yeah, everybody was like what the heck do we do a lot of things were shut down and my business that I have I it is and but involves books right. But that slowed down because my clients didn’t know what they were going to do and it affected the supply chain. So I signed up for a online screenwriting class and in Atlanta and um, ah I was gonna on my second book. It was recommended I write.

06:37.95
podcomm
Um.

06:49.39
Brigitte Cutshall
Or have a film made out of that second book and I’m like I know no squat about screenwriting right? and so I signed up for this class online and I met 2 other I met them online and one of them. Recommended.

06:53.41
podcomm
I Would no good screenwriting if it fell in my lap.

07:05.78
Brigitte Cutshall
Ah, she has a back. Her brother’s in the film industry and and Atlanta’s growing for that and she recommended we do a short film together to write it together and then what we did. We ended up shooting it with our iphones you know.

07:21.60
podcomm
Um, sure I.

07:24.30
Brigitte Cutshall
Because we couldn’t we weren’t allowed. It was then we was locked down here in Atlanta then eventually when they opened up the Parks. We shot one of the films. We made the the at the park. That’s how we met in person for the first time. But anyway one of the ladies is the editor video editor excuse me at Cox media. So I helped. Write the script and outline and the other ladies helped with you know, but they were good at anyway we submitted it to the um screenwriting guild you know through Atlanta and we were selected. We were absolutely shocked. We didn’t know. But but what it was that was so honest about 3 women. You know we made fictional characters but I learned but I think it helped that I have a conversational writing style. So but still, you got to set up the stage and it and it helped I should say stage the scene it helped that one of the ladies was an expert in video editing so she could.

08:12.84
podcomm
Right.

08:19.10
Brigitte Cutshall
You know tweak things and the first lady whose idea to even do this. Her brother’s in the film ministry and gave her some tips but her background is in music right? So we are so diverse and that’s kind of why I like working on projects with with people. You don’t really we again. Story we learned from me, you know each other and I was that completely shocked that we were selected and unfortunately the screening had to be in like a drive-in it couldn’t be in that with theater of course, right? for Twenty twenty but that’s a big deal to say I have that experience and that’s something I never expected but I believe just.

08:47.64
podcomm
Ray Ray

08:58.21
Brigitte Cutshall
Practicing and talking on Podcast helped me a little bit too because even though we wrote it We had to be the characters too. You know we couldn’t You couldn’t get actors. We didn’t have any money. Ah, but these crazy ladies right? and.

09:08.16
podcomm
Right? And who’s gonna take a chance layer look what we made. We go read this while I point the camera. Yeah.

09:15.89
Brigitte Cutshall
We ended up having um it was a blast and we just made it We um called Adaptations is what we called it because we had to I mean everybody had to adapt in certain certain you know ways and that’s kind of how my my podcast kind of veered towards that on how we all had adapting a life. It gives you resilience and that’s what I’ve learned and I try to share with people and that’s why I don’t have a guest on all my podcast you know, but it’s a it right? and it’s and then um, I’m in the middle of finishing up my latest book right.

09:42.33
podcomm
In different formats some host on Mike some.

09:54.52
Brigitte Cutshall
People like want to um I just took my when my knowledge for granted too. You know you just we all do that and bridget you like you understand books and how to make and how produce it because I worked in every aspect but I thought it was boring but it’s not came out. You know I’m saying but we should help.

10:07.90
podcomm
Yeah.

10:13.16
Brigitte Cutshall
Other people. Um, that’s my goal is to help other people get their message out there. Their story and it can’t be on through a book to help them get the book I’m not publishing but I’m helping them with the production aspect that makes sense and then the podcasting is something I fell into that I really enjoyed and it was.

10:24.13
podcomm
Um, yeah.

10:32.20
Brigitte Cutshall
After I created an audio book for my second book I’m like I have this equipment right? and so that’s why right? I should use it and it’s.

10:36.37
podcomm
I should use it. Um I’m wondering about if you take so one of the things I’m always curious about is mastery level practice and like storytelling clearly because 1 can work on that forever and you know you can go ever deeper and deeper and. I forget when I first encountered the idea of when you first begin learning something. Um, it looks simple like in in the beginner’s mind. It’s like oh you just do this and you know and of course then we all chuckle right? Like oh podcasting how could that be storytelling how how could that be making a bit hard. You know in the beginning I everything simple oh sure and then somewhere along the way assuming the thing you’re learning is complex enough.

11:00.88
Brigitte Cutshall
Right. Right.

11:14.30
podcomm
Then you begin to realize like oh it’s rabbit holes everywhere. There’s complexity everywhere. There’s an infinite number of choices so you go from this simplicity to like a ridiculous complexity and then at the top of if you’re imagining a pyramid at the bottom of all this simplicity and then you move up to this complexity layer and then somewhere I don’t know if it was.

11:17.00
Brigitte Cutshall
Yes.

11:32.57
podcomm
Ah, sani zrit ah Anton Deante zupri somebody wrote um that the ultimate sophistication is simplicity and you get to this idea at the top of like it’s an informed simplicity like you’re aware of all the complexity and you’ve chosen certain details. Um. So. That’s that it’s hard to unpack all that audibly but like that idea flashed into my head when you were talking about how you’ve used storytelling in these different mediums podcasting writing a book doing a a movie project and I’m I’m wondering. Is there something that you’re that you want to do with storytelling. That that is like maybe different or in a like ah that looks really simple, but it’s actually informed simplicity.

12:16.11
Brigitte Cutshall
Yeah, that’s kind of my my business is focuses just on books but it is called Ge Andi media. So I think because of the experience I’m learning and I’m I’m meeting new. Great people to offer that to other people so that makes sense and I believe I agree with you The simplicity.

12:30.65
podcomm
Um.

12:34.75
Brigitte Cutshall
Some of the stuff people are saying I should do with my podcast I don’t care and it was sounds terrible right? I’m like no right Otherwise I won’t do it right? And then that’s kind of why I like with a book you can take ah.

12:37.99
podcomm
That wouldn’t be a thing that I could do to make it more complicated.

12:46.64
podcomm
Ah, yeah.

12:53.49
Brigitte Cutshall
I Guess because a marketing is just really, It’s about getting people to trust you and in so and stories I think marketing is about stories and podcasting is a great method to use to get for business or your own brand is that the right word same with the book so you can use the content.

12:59.64
podcomm
Right? telling.

13:06.54
podcomm
Um, yeah.

13:12.62
Brigitte Cutshall
Of a podcast into a book or I know some people who are taking some of their podcast conversations and created a book out of it. You know, different chapters which is cool. Um I’ve um.

13:19.82
podcomm
Yeah.

13:27.40
Brigitte Cutshall
You know I’m not sure everyone’s telling me I should have a transcript for all my podcasts and I I just haven’t done that yet because why are that you know is that really true because as someone who listens to podcasts I’m not gonna read it. Do what I’m saying.

13:35.14
podcomm
Um, depends on Ray and the like we were talking about before the the voice is different, not just first person third person but the voice is different so when you ah 1 of the I have too many different podcast shows but 1 of my shows.

13:46.74
Brigitte Cutshall
Yes.

13:53.97
podcomm
I do long form conversations recorded in person with people they can be like 2 hours long and we do full transcripts through a professional service. That’s not free through an Ai software and we spend significant cost on that. But then we do something like yes, the transcripts are searchable but we also like extract things from that and write articles and use it as ah.

14:01.95
Brigitte Cutshall
Right.

14:13.50
podcomm
As a source So I agree with you that yeah you don’t want to just do transcripts just for fun I mean it is handy for some people who who may be auditory impaired who want to consume but like yeah, but do I need that feature like do I need all these bells and whistles or.

14:21.82
Brigitte Cutshall
Right.

14:30.99
podcomm
What do I actually need to convey the message with the story. Yeah.

14:31.73
Brigitte Cutshall
And your audience what does your audience want and that’s kind of why I think it’s fine if I do some clips too for my for my podcast you know, just little clips. So if people like the content then they’ll listen to the whole thing. But I think it’s.

14:41.58
podcomm
Um, yeah for sharing right.

14:50.24
Brigitte Cutshall
It’s just a combination of what does your I should say reader your readers or your listeners. What are they wanting wanting out of this and that’s kind of why I do have some video clips but I record mine on Zoom and but then also have it. You know.

14:57.13
podcomm
Yeah, yeah.

15:10.43
Brigitte Cutshall
Distributed to multiple places but I put it on a platform that does this distribution for me so that I don’t have There’s only writing right? and and I mean I have I pay someone help me to do these clips but I don’t my business focuses right now on books right.

15:15.80
podcomm
Spend the whole day pushing buttons and pulling levers.

15:29.75
Brigitte Cutshall
So I started doing the podcasting with the guests and most of my guests are authors so kind of like I try to make it weave together to make it make sense and we do focus on you know, resilience kind of is is what it is um and and adapting. And that’s kind of why everybody’s had a deal with something and that’s why I like to share stories Again, We’re going back to why I think we can learn from it and like yeah and you can empathize empathize at the right word with them and and and you’re like yeah I’m not so Bad. You know when they when they shared these things right.

15:58.40
podcomm
Um, yeah.

16:04.52
podcomm
Um, you sir are messed up right? No but I know what you mean I knew it should be.

16:07.80
Brigitte Cutshall
Right? And I think that it helps people become more confident to to try new things and I am one of those people that I’ve always been a risk I think that’s just my my personality banner risk tiker because of the environment I grew up in as a military Brett my father.

16:20.79
podcomm
For. Um.

16:26.61
Brigitte Cutshall
You know we were on our own a lot I’m surprised my brother and I survived but did burn things down but that’s but then I think that’s it’s not not bad either right? and there’s the bad things.

16:32.50
podcomm
Ah, yeah, you mentioned helping people. Yeah in your when you’re talking to authors you mentioned helping people and I love that idea that um. But I had always I had always thought about it in the context of podcasting like I’m well aware that when I reach out to a guest or when I do you know this bit of work or that bit of work to make it easier for them that that you’re offering that person a gift but I had never and and like a story if I give well physically if I give the book. That’s a gift but I mean the act of. Creating. The story is a gift to the reader in like a superficial sense but also like in a deep sense that their experience of reading. It might actually transform them even though it’s a piece of fiction and I’m wondering have you found any since you’re clearly aware of that have you found any challenges in trying to give gifts.

17:15.66
Brigitte Cutshall
Yes.

17:26.45
podcomm
To the the person on the interview with you in your podcast.

17:29.34
Brigitte Cutshall
Ah, not really, they they lot of times I want to be on my podcast promote their book to be honest, that’s us that’s kind of what it is and um I don’t have everybody on that reaches out to me but the gift is that we’re connecting right? That’s kind of what it is.

17:34.65
podcomm
Yeah, the press Junket right.

17:47.31
Brigitte Cutshall
And I do give them some clips that’s kind of part of that part of the thing and Faye feel more confident that we have more? Yeah, we try to have I try to find commonality with their every guest hopefully that makes sense and that’s the gift make them make sure they um. Feel good about themselves and I do kind of jump into why they decided to write a book and like you said people think oh when you find out the backstory of something majority of my I do have guests majority of them are they’re not fiction. Writers. Probably the majority are nonfiction writers but we all have you want to make it fun. Hopefully I’m answering your question properly. But I think you you people my my perspective is I’ve always looked at the positive side of something that’s just the way I am too. There’s a lot of.

18:31.17
podcomm
Um, yeah, no I mean.

18:44.10
Brigitte Cutshall
Bad negative things out there and I think if we focus on the negative too much then you don’t want to move forward right? You get stuck.

18:49.96
podcomm
Absolutely you have Ah, what’s that called the word I think it’s salience like your brain. There are certain things that are really salient like your brain really notices snakes. It’s just that’s like bury in the back of your head from being an apes and tree like.

19:01.62
Brigitte Cutshall
Yes.

19:07.65
podcomm
Whoops I always say I’m afraid of 3 kinds of snakes little snakes, big snakes and any stick that looks like a snake like those are the 3 snakes. Yeah, so but if you go if one goes around looking for negative things. Guess what you see like you’re going to start seeing negative things you get that confirmation bias. So i.

19:11.48
Brigitte Cutshall
Um, yeah, any stick right.

19:20.10
Brigitte Cutshall
Right? We have? yeah but I was gonna say you have to acknowledge the path. You have to acknowledge it. But at the same time I try to look at the good in a situation. How what can be but good can come out of that That’s kind of how my focus has been.

19:29.40
podcomm
Gam.

19:33.20
podcomm
Um, yeah.

19:38.58
Brigitte Cutshall
I Don’t know why I’m that way and maybe because I’m probably the biggest influence in my life was my stepfather. You know that kind of you don’t realize that though as you’re growing up at the time you’re like Wow he is why we are the way we are and um, it’s just amazing again.

19:44.93
podcomm
Yeah, at the time.

19:57.73
Brigitte Cutshall
What we can learn from other people and be in open and looking at yes, those’ pros and cons. But then acknowledge that and how can you move forward and to me looking at that little negative or is so it’s okay, you got to know it’s there. But then how can I move forward and that’s a positive step expecting. Good by the way isn’t name my second book expecting the good because you got to you’ve got to acknowledge it. But this is how we move forward and and being that’s I used to be told sometimes you’re just too positive Mike so um, I good.

20:17.51
podcomm
Brilliant. Yeah.

20:32.43
podcomm
Ah, here have some negativity shut up.

20:34.81
Brigitte Cutshall
Um, and um, right, just shut up I’ll be positive as much as I want to be but I mean that’s just my personality and trust me there there are I’m not positive 100% of the time but I try to make people feel better than about themselves and that’s kind of why I help.

20:40.70
podcomm
Yeah.

20:53.12
Brigitte Cutshall
If they want to do a book or if they want to be on the podcast and then I’m gonna just so you know I’m playing around with another film and um, right it might it it was. It was hard work but I enjoyed it you I’m say.

21:01.66
podcomm
Episode 2 I I Think. Oh. That’s the best kind like exhausted for good, not exhausted for like terrible stuff and I really love the ah like the underlying message that you have here about positive and and working toward the positive and um, ah you want to do a really hard Question. So I like.

21:14.10
Brigitte Cutshall
Right.

21:26.77
podcomm
1 things I like about this show is most people are used to writing or podcasting so that I can like throw really hard questions at them. Um, if you had to boil down everything that you’ve learned in your entire life. All of your worldly wisdom into a tweet in the old days when it was 140 characters what would that tweet. Be.

21:44.63
Brigitte Cutshall
How could bo down my knowledge. Um, that’s a tough question. Ah ah I kind of go Maybe what I was saying before um, look for the goodness situation to help you move forward. That’s kind of what it is and I’ve I’ve.

21:46.70
podcomm
Not easy. Um.

22:03.20
Brigitte Cutshall
I Been through a lot of bad stuff I don’t fucking cuss on here. Um, but I I’m a hockey mob by the way so you know there were were cuss now. Um but always try to look and and and and try to encourage people by looking.

22:06.97
podcomm
Um, you you totally can. Yeah.

22:20.82
Brigitte Cutshall
And the positive situation. We all have to deal with that stuff. Hopefully that helped.

22:24.50
podcomm
Great. So I I say this all the time or run on adjectives. It was awesome. It was fun pleasure to meet you. Thank you for taking the time and yeah have a thanks so much I don’t know what else to say.

22:37.34
Brigitte Cutshall
It was awesome. Thank you so much. Craig.