Transcript for "Story - with Diane Wyzga"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:02.20
Diane
And this is Diane Whisca from Whiby Island Washington

00:07.70
podcomm
Hi Diane thanks for joining me and I keep threatening to come west we have um, um, playing the covid card for the last year and a half but at some point I’ll be back out that way the the northwest coast is off the charts gorgeous I think um. But yeah, as usual I’m off off on a tangent. Um, when we were talking before we pressed record we um I would say we we went down memory lane which is always a great place to go. We went down memory lane talking about the podcasting it used to be called it used to be called tpf the podcasting fellowship that’s run by akimbo and. We were talking about like what goes on and what’s going on today and who’s still teaching and you pointed out that um I’m going to say your journey to become a podcaster whether or not that was what you were really thinking when it was happening but your journey to become a podcaster took ah a real. Um. Turn upwards like in a good way when you started doing 60 seconds um so the first thing I should say is for those people listening who don’t know what we’re all talking about when we say 60 seconds can you tell me a little bit about what your sixty second process is today for your show and then maybe. Walk me through what it was like to first discover that.

01:24.75
Diane
Yeah, um, I’ll give you a little bit of a backstory very quick backstory that when I moved to the island I knew nothing and nobody so it was a big switch three Thousand mile move and a storytelling friend who I’d known for years who lives up in Canada said. There’s this guy by the name of Seth Godin and he’s got this workshop called podcasting and maybe it’s something you’d like to do while you’re figuring out what to do next and so I thought sure fine. Why not I had no idea that when you jumped in they wanted you to produce something the day before. And what’s your title What’s your description who’s it for what’s it for why are you doing this? What’s your canva art looking like whoa wait a minute I was just here you know like in podcasting 2 one and it was actually I do tell people it was like drinking from a fire hydrant. Because the expectation was so high and in a good way. We had marvelous coaches David Nainsky and Maria Zenna do and I I worship at the altar of both of them because they were just the most divine coaches to have they were encouraging and supportive and and yet if you needed a.

02:21.41
podcomm
Ah.

02:38.17
Diane
Ah, boot in the back they would give you that too and so as we got to the end of the workshop. The emphasis was on interviewing guests. That’s just the way it it had gone through and I was at the back of the pack. So whether it was because I was afraid of.

02:49.69
podcomm
Um.

02:56.65
Diane
Doing something or I didn’t think I had the proper gear at that time I had a small headset with a mic and headphones all together in one and because the Mike was old. The only way I could make it sound halfway decent was to wrap it up in a couple of layers of spanx. You know those all.

03:15.10
podcomm
Right? You right.

03:16.58
Diane
SPANKSPANX yeah women will know what that is and so that’s what I had so as we got to the end what was offered to us was the opportunity to prepare 60 seconds that maybe guests were a little too intimidating. But if you can get something out in 60 seconds it’ll feel like you’ve got something out there. Okay, this is what I can do and I started and we were posting them on the forward link platform and Maria said you’ve got a real gift for this somehow or other it’s happening for you that you can get a story a call to action a message. Whatever. Wrapped up in 60 seconds so I encourage you to keep on doing that and that’s exactly what I did um right around April I think April of 2020 so that would have been April Twenty covid is when I first launched it and as I said earlier.

04:11.78
podcomm
Raymond.

04:15.46
Diane
Coming up on 450 episodes of which most of those are the daily 60 seconds because I post Monday through Friday to answer your question about the process. The process has changed over the course of doing this work. Refined. It. So that Mondays are are motivate motivate your Monday timeout Tuesday which is more relaxation tips mindfulness baby poetry Wednesdays on widby I created because I wanted to share with people what it’s like to live on a semi ruralal island where the.

04:50.90
podcomm
M.

04:54.15
Diane
Power goes out in a storm and if you want to go to the mall. You have to take the ferry over to America. It’s very very different and Thursday has become thoughts on Thursday so there might be something in the media something that I’ve read that I want to address and then Friday has always been. Story prompt Friday where I offer some tip on writing a story telling a story and then there’s a prompt so that someone can write their own and by having the categories that has helped me to continue to shape what I’m going to say. And how I’m going to say it and when I’m going to say it.

05:35.39
podcomm
Yeah there’s a lot of structure that you get as soon as you say 60 seconds and you know even if you’re like I’m going to blow by it and do ninety like how many people will try to cram their entire piece of work into like even 90 seconds so there’s a ton of structure that comes from saying here’s my time limit. There’s a ton of structure that comes from saying I’m going to do this five days a week um and so I think the more that you’ve created these structures for yourself the more that it actually expands the creativity and I’m I’m kind of guessing out loud because I don’t I don’t have any projects where I’m working in that same sort of structure. So I’m I’m just wondering if somebody is thinking that podcasting is tough. Um, what? what is it about the time constraint that makes it easier rather than harder.

06:26.81
Diane
Well ironically and I think this is a quote that’s attributed to Mark Twain I would have written you a shorter letter but I didn’t have the time so ironically the more we compress our time the more we have to pay attention and I love your your.

06:36.00
podcomm
Yeah, yes.

06:45.62
Diane
Your observation that there is a structure to this so the more that we compress what we want to say how we want to say it into a shorter and shorter time structure. We have to be clear concise and cogent we have to be much more precise about the images. About the language about how many words and so when I draft a 60 seconds I’ll throw everything down I call it puking on the page throw everything down there and then begin to refine it. The puke on the page. Um, then I begin to refine it so that.

07:15.44
podcomm
Right? Fill the page.

07:24.80
Diane
There is a story a personal experience some call to action some tip or bit of wisdom if you can call it that and over time there has been a reveal so I’ve become more. Available to my own vulnerability and being able to show that side and when I when I draft these episodes I believe I’m doing that really more for myself to discover to inquire to look more deeply. And so what you hear when you listen to the 60 seconds is a bit of Diane and the older that I get the questions you know can be ah come a little bit more more deep. The thoughts might become more provocative. There is a lightness. To some of the episodes and there is also a depth to others intentional so that you can listen to something walk away and mull it over for yourself. So the over time I’ve gotten a sense of the. Rhythm of the structure to use your word to see how I invite the listener in lift them up. Bring them down lift them up again but always leave them with something where they can walk out and say this is good that this is good I needed to hear this. Today and then the the book end is my brother in law’s music the waltz that he wrote for my sister I’ll always play that music. It always brings tears to my eyes. But it’s my way of inviting the listener in and letting them go gently. However, they want to walk their life.

09:22.73
podcomm
Your description of your intention for the listener as you as you have been talking about how you do the 60 seconds how you create them what you’re doing I was thinking I wonder how intentional you are and then of course you did the like went there and explained it that you’re very intentional about. What you want people to get from it or maybe um, sometimes I feel like my intention is to create and a hole or an open question in a listener like I don’t I don’t actually have the answer so how can I give you the answer I’m hoping to just give you something that scratches at you to make you think so it strikes me that you’re you’re very much aware of that. Um, do you recall um that and that’s clearly not what you were doing in the beginning with 60 seconds right in the beginning it was just like oh no press record what happens and then you know you get feedback from Maria do you recall? um, thinking about like how did you bootstrap from i’m. Simply doing the thing as a form of practice. How did you bootstrap from there to having a very intentional mindful practice where you’re encompassing the listeners in what you’re trying to do.

10:32.93
Diane
That’s a great question I think unconsciously or maybe subconsciously what might have been coming through is my 30 years as a storyteller so always in the back of my mind is the awareness. That we are having a conversation with someone else with ourselves maybe with the eternal loving presence and with that idea that there is always a conversation that’s asking for. Connection. Then? how do I want to make use of that so to go all the way back to the beginning of tpf when they ask. What’s the description. What’s it for and who’s it for my intention then which is probably carried over. Was that I wanted to share stories in some way so that people could see themselves in it hear themselves in it and thereby understand themselves a little better understand others a little better so. The overarching idea is that perhaps with this. Notion of story. We can shift attitudes behaviors maybe even culture. So I think that the intention might have always been there this form of this structure as you say. Gave it direction then I could say all right now I know what it is that I’m trying to create here I’m trying to create an opportunity and as you said that open question I used to have a friend who would say I don’t have the answers and I have hardly half the questions.

12:04.50
podcomm
Um.

12:13.94
podcomm
Um, right.

12:22.96
Diane
And I hear his voice in my head all the time you know he’s long gone from this world but I still hear his voice when he says that and that to me is also a guide so I don’t know you know I really don’t know how these episodes are landing on. Individual people apart from the reviews that you might get or feedback on Linkedin. So I can only trust that this message these messages are getting out there in a way that is helpful to the world. That’s nourishing to people and helping sustain them in the 24 hours that they call their day.

13:09.16
podcomm
First of all, thank you for doing the hard work like of creating the thing. Um that whoever said I think it was Gandhi you know be the change. You want to see in the world. The you know these what seem like tiny little pieces when you publish are writer 60 seconds how much effort how much work. Um.

13:19.51
Diane
Yeah.

13:28.92
podcomm
Misspoke How much change in the world could this create it’ like well quite a lot if you’re creating questions and people and pulling them in the right Direction. So First of all, thank you for doing the hard work. Um, but I Also um like here’s ah this is going to sound initially maybe really disconnected but is there something? um. And I don’t actually have an answer for this I’m actually wondering is there something that you feel strongly about maybe related to podcasting. Maybe it’s something you’re trying to communicate through podcasting something you feel strongly about that you think most people would disagree with you about. That make sense as a question.

14:09.30
Diane
That people would disagree with me about um the first what what comes to mind is the value. Of the spoken word. That’s not tied to profit to gain to achievement to selling that. Spoken word which is in my world story the way we converse with with each other to connect is not necessarily something I think a lot of people would agree with they might agree with the end. Product of okay I can get you to do something I can get you to buy something I can get you to whatever. But before we get to that place. There has to be a willingness to hear. What each other is going on about and that’s not easy for me I have to often sit on my tongue to listen to other people, especially when the viewpoints are you know are different I have to work very hard. Putting aside my emotion. My emotional response to what is being said so that I can hear what’s being said so I still think that in this day and age there is a hesitancy. To reveal who we are why we are what we’re about and there is a hesitancy to believe that if we are willing to go there to do the reveal. That it’s going to matter that it’s going to count that it’s going to change anything and so I can imagine people listen to some of these episodes and think Wednesday’s on widby who cares about the bus that goes around your island who cares that you’re you know on a ferry to get to America to go to the store who cares.

16:34.89
podcomm
Um, right.

16:42.59
Diane
That your power goes out for 24 hours because of a storm and you are learning how to fire up a generator and you know where to find gas you know to refill it who cares but see I think that’s the very bottom line of it we care because. Each of us in our own way is living the same thing living living through challenges living through crises living through achievements living through excitement and the way in which to understand and. Be understood is to continue sharing those reveal stories I don’t want to use the word authentic. It’s bandied about a lot. Maybe we can say it’s genuine I don’t want to use dialogue I just want to say conversation how we converse. How we connect whether people agree or not is not up to me anymore. It used to be I used to be very deeply Charles in charge. That’s what happens when you’re the oldest of 7 and everything I say goes and now I put my work out there and it’s going to go where it’s going to go.

17:45.15
podcomm
Sure.

17:57.80
Diane
And if you want to walk along with me, you’re welcome and if this isn’t your wen Camino then find your own. Yeah.

18:07.56
podcomm
Um, I think that um your I’m going to say your perspective on use of story. Um, and and I agree with you I I think most people would not agree with you about that and that’s one of the things that I’m hoping to now if I say hoping to change. That’s pretty. Um, grandiose but 1 of the reasons that I do what I do is that I think people who listen to a good conversation that they find from especially if I can have a conversation um with somebody that they don’t expect to be a good conversationalist then that opens their mind like well if I’m wrong about that. What else might be wrong about. So I think your perspective.

18:39.68
Diane
Yeah.

18:46.83
podcomm
On use of story. Um, as you were talking about that I was thinking about tension and I was having this idea that if everybody agreed with you like in your answer to my question if you had said no everybody agrees with everything that I do. Um, if one could never tell a story that didn’t make somebody go wait but why or or Huh or why do you care about that then then there’s be no tension anywhere and if there’s no tension. Well then there’s no stress if there’s no stress then nobody grows and it seems to me that like if there are huge swaths of people. Who are still doing the consumerism thing you know or who are still disagreeing with us a moment or another It’s the tension that we create by saying well what about this or have you thought about that or here’s my experience that that creates attention and that’s how anybody grows I mean whether that. Tension would pull me toward them or whether the tension pulls them toward me that’s kind of left for everybody to start on on their own. So I Just I had that idea of tension and about how that that works even when you know you’re only like you and I are broadcasting into the ether here like arguably people can’t directly respond. It’s not not a normal conversation. But. Yet. It is so it’s just something I thought of as much as I dislike talking a lot after some guest says something really good that came to mind.

20:01.36
Diane
No, it’s it’s brilliant. Go all the way back to your notion of structure and so things that are made out of steel. For example, has it has a certain tension to it and it will bend and flex. To a certain degree depending on the type of of product. It is depending on the steel I mean we saw what happened in 119 things bent and they stretched and they finally broke. But the tension is the give and take that is the back and forthness. Something you look at a spider web in the in the wind and how that has tension to it because it bends and it flexes with with the wind. It takes a great deal to take a spider web apart and people who do that should have their fingernails cut off, but.

20:41.35
podcomm
Um, yeah.

20:55.64
Diane
That notion of tension. That’s when I said earlier I was taught one of my story mentors was the wonderful Elizabeth Ellis she has a voice that sounds like chocolate tastes j o’callaghan said that about her and her. Theory around story is that you had to pick people up and slam them down and pick them up and slam them down. Always so that they were asking. Okay, what happens next? what’s going on next What’s the next. So your idea of structure and tension. Is beautifully woven into this topic and fortifies. The idea that you have that you’re doing what you’re doing to continue that conversation in some way. So yeah, you gotta jump in. Cry if. You can’t just sit there and ask questions you got to be part of this mucking it up. Ah.

21:54.45
podcomm
Busted. Yes well Diane as much as I say all the time I hate to say this. But I think that’s a good place to stop for today. This is not our first conversation I’m sure it won’t be our last. And it was a distinct pleasure. Thank you very much.

22:11.10
Diane
I’m tickled to death to be part of of the ongoing process. Yes, thank you very much bye.

22:20.37
podcomm
Bye.