Transcript for "Shifts - with Eric Ayers"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Um, hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. Our guest today is Eric Ayers — Ayers I believe it is [pronounced] — Welcome, Eric!

00:14.71
Eric
Correct Thanks for having me man. This is this is fun.

00:18.29
Craig
My my little intro about I like take the scenic route is so totally true. You don’t know me personally but those who do are like oh yes, totally Craig shut up. But when I said I like to take the scenic route I’ve flashed back to I saw about I’m holding up my fingers about a centimeter I tell about this much of Tennessee. Which is where you are and it was really nice. Not that I had a previous notion that Tennessee was a flat desert or something. Um, but I drove through it and I was like ooh no to self. Must come back here. So I um, applaud you for choice of choice of homestead. Ah when so we’ve met in the.

00:40.23
Eric
Right.

00:55.74
Craig
Tenth iteration of the podcasting workshop and I know your show um, like you know I have the I have the the privilege of seeing like some people’s shows like go from like I got an idea to wait I got a better idea and a way they get a better idea a way you know like I’ve seen this happen and your show settled like the idea sort of.

01:07.53
Eric
Yeah.

01:13.75
Craig
Percolated… titrated… down to a conversation that you were going to have with guests and then right near the end you started to talk more about bringing what we would call host on Mike bringing that into the mix and I know that I’m going to say your shtick is flipping flipping concepts. And I’m I’m just wondering if you feel like that was a flip for yourself like did you start? did you maybe start with something that was simple and then maybe a flip happened for you that made you change what you thought your podcast could be if that makes any sense.

01:32.89
Eric
And.

01:46.24
Eric
Yeah, absolutely I think so at the beginning I had no idea what I was doing and so so relying on on the amazing community within the podcast workshop and just bouncing ideas off of people.

01:54.99
Craig
Ah, that’s me too.

02:05.97
Eric
That’s where it started and so I’m like yeah I’m going to interview all of these influential people who drastically influenced my life and that that was the plan and as I was editing as I was going through the storytelling and interviewing the people. I identified well wait a minute. My story is in there too and and my story correlates with this well and I don’t know if anyone is mixing you know interview with host on Mike I’m I’m sure there are but I haven’t heard it and so I’m like this doesn’t have to be a black and white. Thing. It doesn’t have to adhere to any rules or regulations. So let’s go rogue and um and let’s just try it and and like you and I were we’re chatting beforehand I enjoyed a talk I love talking. So why not capitalize on that and and just. Talk about the things that organically changed my life and organically shifted in my mind as I started seeing the world through through a different lens.

03:09.28
Craig
The different lens that you’re mentioning is that something that happened with podcasting or is that just something about a general flip that occurred for you like what’s that lens.

03:17.30
Eric
Yeah, that that was a pivotal moment in my life where I realized I was in the paradigm I was in this perpetual loop pattern of seeing the world. For the negative aspect. So I was working as a as a pediatric nurse at the bedside and night shift 12 hour shifts was not liking what I was doing not able to see the good and what I was bringing and my wife actually stopped me before going into work one day and said hey when you go to work. Look for something good. It’s there. You just have to find it and it was the greatest night I’ve ever had I’ve ever had and I will never forget it that is when I started realizing I had a choice in how I see the world I can see it for the way that most kind of see it and I can. See it for the negativity or I can I can find love I can find beauty I can find peace. Um, it’s the same world I believe Einstein was the one that said whether you live in a hostile world or a loving world. It’s the same world. It’s just how you view it and so when I say seeing the world through a different lens. That’s what I mean it’s it’s seeing the good in things. Yeah.

04:34.40
Craig
Um, that flip that happened for you that night at work. Um I I don’t know much about like how nurses work but I’m guessing that the schedule is fairly like set in advance like you know who you’re going to be working with on a given night and you can see the cycles. Um, did your coworkers notice like.

04:46.40
Eric
Right.

04:52.50
Craig
Immediately like what do you own this evening Eric or or was it you know is it a long-term thing or did they have they never noticed I’m just wondering your podcast and your personal work is about causing the flip in others or maybe like trying to light that you know share the candle flame kind of thing and I’m wondering you know did.

05:01.43
Eric
Correct correct. Yeah.

05:09.58
Craig
Did that happen in that scenario and was that maybe the impetus for saying oh maybe I could go do this intentionally.

05:13.40
Eric
So I Think at that moment I didn’t even realize it I Just knew that I’m having an incredible conversation with a dad who has a very sick child and realized that I was there as a resource and as a human. For a real human interaction and no longer was this about a factory style work of me just having to do my job and then go home. But this was about making impact so I didn’t grab a hold of that it was just it just happened and then as the the next few days passed on I just kept.

05:51.30
Eric
Thinking of this and realizing wait a minute. There’s more to life than what I’ve been doing and so after a few weeks you know it’s almost like whenever something revolutionizes our world. We want to shout it from the rooftop and we’re like oh this is amazing. You have to do this and everyone’s like yeah and.

06:06.48
Craig
Guys Guys Guys Guys Guys Guys Guys guys guys guys right? mean.

06:10.38
Eric
And everyone’s like you’re an idiot like what are you talking about? and so that it wasn’t immediate but the tenacity that I had the it was ah it was an actual the way Louis Hayes puts it. It was a conscious shift. It was a change in my consciousness to where I can’t go back so I’m going to go forward and I’m going to bring everyone with me and that shifted I began to ah create different jobs that were available within the hospital because now I’m shifting from. This person. That’s just you know, causing trouble starting the pot so to speak to now someone who is actually showcasing leadership skills and I had a mentor walk into my life because she saw something in me that that I didn’t see and so all these things started just to click and so it wasn’t a. Immediate. It was a little bit over time and that with the continued support of my wife to keep saying you know because of course I would go back to old habits and say you know this sucked or gosh I can’t believe going back in so fourth night in a row and then she just gently. Continued shifting perspectives and so her example is how I see me doing that with everyone I come in contact with that gentleness that that compassion that she came from.

07:36.73
Craig
Where do you think she got it from?

07:39.55
Eric
That is a very good question because this wasn’t always the case and she will tell you that she will say she wasn’t always like that. Um she had an internal light switch as well and um, she just had a self-realation that. What she sees may not be truth and what she believed to be truth may not be her own truth and she started her own self exploration self-evaluation and again when she started that she was screaming it at the from the rooftops at me and I was like get away from me. This is. No, this is Weird. You’re challenging My beliefs here. Yes for Sure. Yes, Yes, yeah.

08:20.56
Craig
There’s an interesting point there about timing right? like they know. Ah, what’s that when the student is ready the master appears so that’s 2 There’s 2 Um I won’t say data points but there’s 2 and I like the word anecdote because I mean it in this sense like it’s a single data point. Not an adote like that’s funny.

08:34.40
Eric
Right? right.

08:37.90
Craig
Um, but that’s 2 anecdotes. So have you after that before you said hey I’m going to start my own thing and do this intentionally did you stumble on witnessing other people have that same shift. Um or did you intentionally go looking for it or did you like how did it go from being like this is what happened to Me. And I saw it happen to my wife or I saw that it has happened to my wife. How did it go from that to being like oh we’re going to like three D print these you know.

08:55.38
Eric
Um, yeah. Right? right? Well so the fascinating thing is at this shift. There’s many aspects in life that that if you asked me to put it on a timeline I couldn’t tell you what came first and but but like.

09:11.32
Craig
Hey can you put it on timeline? No I’m kidding.

09:17.81
Eric
All these realizations of wait a minute I’m I’m not really healthy in mind body spirit so all the above. So. The first thing it it was weird at the time but now it’s just normal The first thing that I looked at was identifying my addiction to food. And so I started looking at dietary things of wait a minute. Okay, if I’m looking at the world as ah as a better place. Ah the food that I’m giving myself isn’t really nurturing me so switching that.

09:49.62
Craig
Amen amen.

09:52.65
Eric
And I will be quite honest with you that little shift because people knew me as the human garage disposal like oh food’s left over I’m going to come grab that to shift.

10:03.44
Craig
You might you like my twin brother like work in 12 hoursship. Um, keep going I keep out I was going to say something about yeah, that’s a big thing about inflammation but keep going so human garbage disposal.

10:14.90
Eric
But but shifting that because that’s the way people I worked with saw me especially working night shift I mean you you graze all night to then eating salads but continuing to eat like plant-based food was the biggest thing because people would say.

10:33.61
Craig
Um, there’s something wrong. You’re eating food. What’s the matter with you?

10:32.96
Eric
What’s going on and it opened up the door for conversation. Yeah, like what? like yeah, you’re either. You’re either losing your mind or ah or something cool is going on and I want to learn more and and I would talk to whoever wanted to listen and during that time it was almost like a practice. Was put in a place to where um I was clinical leaders. So I was so charge nurse of our unit and um so I got to walk around and encourage people and my own people. So I still got to do patient care. But then I got to start. Attempting to shift Mindsets and just just putting the seeds out there just planting seeds nourishing them when they came up but I ultimately got to work on patients and timing and if someone is like totally against it. That’s Cool. You have the right to be. Your own beliefs just like I have the right for my own beliefs and so creating those boundaries and so that’s the way I see it. It was like a practice and every day it’s still a practice… It’s just different opportunities that pop up and it’s super inch, interesting and and super cool at the same time.

11:45.83
Craig
Um, what are your… what are your big pipe dream hopes for your podcast?

11:51.33
Eric
Oh man, the the main goal is just to get people’s stories out there because everyone who I want people to know the influence that they had on me because that’s huge. We. We don’t always get to see. The fruit of the labor that we put in and sometimes it could be just one statement that changes. Ah the trajectory of someone’s life just to get that out there. But also to say we are a community of people and let’s work together as people because as. Humanity from the beginning we are community we are meant to live in community. So let’s create communities to not just work together but go back to 1 of my favorite approaches to life as a toddler approach and this goes to education this goes to everything. Ah, toddler I mean is I remember me as a kid. My brother and I we had our underrus on and our t-shirts with our capes you know and we we would fly so like we have the tenacity and the bravery to be who we want to be at that at that time. Yes, but also like.

13:02.37
Craig
Right? And the imagination.

13:07.39
Eric
If you see a toddler learning to walk when they take their first step and then fall no one belittles or berates this toddler for falling everyone celebrates that step. My question is where does this stop in our.

13:25.72
Eric
Progressing of knowledge of of our own being because it gets to a point where all of a sudden now we start pointing out those negatives and my ultimate goal is to shift our mindsets back to the toddler approach to life to say let’s celebrate those steps. Um. Let’s celebrate when someone’s trying something new. They are going to fail epically at first it’s the way we do it. We we try fail try again, do a little better fail repeat repeat repeat until we get it and Dr Jodi Spendsza puts it as us going from thinking to doing to being. So we have a thought of wanting to do something and then we do it. Do it do it over and over and over until we become it. So it’s almost like a bicycle you want to learn to ride a bicycle so you hop on the bike and you fall and then you try to pedal and you fall and then eventually yeah, absolutely.

14:19.20
Craig
Right? You’re either persistent or not right.

14:23.38
Eric
But if you stick with it eventually you become a cyclist Eventually, you get to the point where you don’t have to think about riding the bike. But while you’re riding the bike you can focus on the wind on your face The the scenery that you’re looking at you can focus on the noise around like now you are it. So.

14:41.13
Craig
Um, have you started to pick ah have you started to pick apart what it is that man I don’t know if you’ve gotten this far yet in in your work on this have you started to pick apart what it is that I’m going to say makes people successful at this I’m thinking about persistence is 1 thing.

14:42.79
Eric
Let’s support each other.

14:57.16
Eric
Yeah.

15:00.64
Craig
There’s an anecdote that I read recently about 2 kinds of milk cows I can’t remember the names it it doesn’t matter. But basically if you know farmers go lots of milk cows eventually the situation happens where one of the mother cows dies and there’s a calf that winds up being orphaned and it just turns out these 2 different kinds of cows. 1 type of cow the calf will die every time the calf goes finds a random mother you know nuzzles up like please ma’ could I have some you know and the cow literally kicks it in the face cow and the cow will then go lay down and start the death like 1 kick and that’s it where the other kind of cow it like no, you know you kick the calf in the face. The calf’s like no I’m I’m not going away but you know like just.

15:37.23
Craig
So I I mean this’s like a horrible metaphor. But the idea of getting kicked in the face and being like yeah well, that’s kind of a bummer but no seriously like I really want to try and ride this bike or I want to try and make this shift So I’m I’m just wondering it seems to me like persistence and there also seems to be I mentioned really like light other candles. The spark.

15:56.66
Craig
Seems to not necessarily but works well when the spark comes from somewhere else. So there’s a couple of these key components that seem to go into the shift. The the timing being right kind of thing I’m just wondering have you have you started to look at and try to gauge people like this person’s not going to. It’s not going to work. They’re not ready at this person. Oh they’re right like have you started to look at it from that.

15:59.50
Eric
Yeah.

16:14.55
Eric
Yes, in and I think um unconsciously I’ve been doing that So and as you were talking I was thinking about you know the the times that I’ve actually done this and um and it’s ah I’ve always.

16:15.58
Craig
Objective perspective yet.

16:32.77
Eric
I Guess referred to it as just reading their energy and identifying the words that they say because when people are speaking life into themselves. You know they’re ready. So if they’re speaking the negative aspects. Okay, some things have to occur before they can start this shift because um, we we get in this this loop. Of thought our thought controls our emotions and then our emotion controls our actions and then as we do this Action. We have the same thought and then it goes back through and it just continually feeds itself so that you have to stop that and that’s why. I Believe when people say they hit rock bottom or they have a of an accident or lose a family member or you know a pet or something like that happens it forces them to shift out of that paradigm and be like. Wait a minute and all of a sudden… It’s like the veils really um, removed and they can see that’s their shift So likewise at at the same time for me I had a medical misdiagnosis that led me on this huge journey so that got me prepped it.

17:46.10
Eric
Kind of prepped the groundwork for me to receive what my wife said this could have been the one hundred and twentieth time she said this to me I don’t remember but I do remember because I had my internal garden tilled and ready to go and it was just waiting for that seed. So.

18:05.41
Eric
Yes I think I think everyone goes through their journey and everyone is at a different space but they have to be it has to be an internal thing. It has to be a self-guided self understanding and a self directed. Um the Spark can come from other people. But it has to be received and the fan needs to be flamed by that person. That’s why anyone wanting to lose weight anyone wanting to become healthy anyone wanting to change any habit it has to come from internally I can’t no one can tell me to do something and unless I’ve had a. Internal understanding of of of that shift.

18:45.80
Craig
I Like your metaphor about the garden about Tilt and ready to go I was thinking like yeah seeds falling on you know fertile versus Unferte ground. Um, there’s a great quote by somebody whose name escapes me, it’s Swedish or Norwegian or something and it’s along the lines of um, you can’t.

19:02.11
Craig
Like if you have a garden. You don’t reserve a plot for the weeds like it’s just they spread you got to like get them all. They have to all go and I’m I’m wondering if there are any parting thoughts you have about what someone who would want to make one of these ships but who doesn’t feel they’re quite ready like.

19:03.69
Eric
Absolutely yeah.

19:17.68
Craig
I Don’t really get what you guys are talking about but what the hey you know like are there things that you could suggest somebody who would try to maybe begin weeding the garden.

19:22.58
Eric
Yeah, um, absolutely and it’s something that that I’m not ah great at but because I’ve always seen the word that I’m about to say as different than what it actually is but but meditation meditation is just. Decreasing the noise in your head and just taking a few minutes a day to quiet and to actually notice what thoughts are you having and they’re not good thoughts. They’re not bad thoughts. They’re just thoughts and seeing them and then just letting them go and saying all right cool. Thanks. But it allows you to see wait a minute. This is actually what my subconscious is telling me all day that I’m not identifying and those I mean 1 weed at a time and then all of a sudden. The noise is 1 less and 2 positive because now it’s back to.

20:06.15
Craig
Um.

20:21.30
Eric
How do we create and set of how do we destroy and I could go for an hour on that because that is interesting I have a firm belief. No no scientific evidence but I have ah I have a belief that that is one of the causes for autoimmune because. Autoimmune is a continual pattern that your body just keeps yes which is the same as the mental. It’s it’s very similar and if you’re destructive or just like the experiments with with plants. They have 2 plants.

20:42.99
Craig
A feedback cycle right?

20:58.12
Eric
Getting the same light one of them. They’re saying I Love you I Love you. You’re so beautiful and the next one they’re saying ah hate you. You’re ugly, you’re why are you here? It actually dies where the other one survives so words have power. That’s that’s the other thing I would say is speak kindly to yourself stop sabotaging you.

21:06.90
Craig
Yeah, the plants, it affects the plants.

21:17.11
Eric
Do not if you say the word I am it better be followed up with something amazing. So there should never be the word I am in a negative because you’re speaking that into existence and those are just adding weeds to the garden so to speak.

21:33.49
Craig
As much as I hate to say it I am excited that we had a chance to talk but regret that we have run out of time. So Eric it was a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you in person and. Um, you want to commit to you were mentioning. You were getting ready to launch your show if you want to commit to it. You can say the name of your show and then it’ll be in here.

21:52.26
Eric
Yes, so next week I am officially launching purpose empowered podcast or pep talk and um so first guest is one of the most influential people in my life. It is my 12 year old daughter and she is. She’s taught me more in this world than than most people and so I’m I’m excited nervous but more so excited to to launch this into the world.

22:24.60
Craig
Terrific. All right Eric thanks for taking the time and talk to me today. Bye.

22:26.69
Eric
Thanks Craig.