Transcript for "Sharing - with Susanne Mueller"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:01.28
Susanne Mueller
Hi Greg this is susa and mueller your fellow podcaster nice to meet you.

00:08.50
podcomm
We’re having fun with tech today. 1 of the things I like about talking to other podcasters is we’re pretty tenacious podcasters are like oh and oh we’re gonna figure this out. You think ripping cables and trying to make it work so I always like that and when I’ve talked to people who aren’t podcasters. Lot of times the tech really throws them off I mean you know even though we’re having trouble. We’re just like yeah we’ll figure this out so it is kind of fun to hang out with people who are down for a technical challenge but having said that um, as I mentioned many times we have a little conversation beforehand and when I asked you podcasting what comes to mind. We started talking about. Networking and you had mentioned particularly in like what I guess society is calling covid times in the last year and a half you seem to find that the people that you’re reaching out to are really responsive. They’re really open to connection and I was I was wondering is that. Because are they just not getting as much in interaction with other people like they’re they’re all still going on and running but are they now running alone and maybe they’re they’re just across their whole life. They’re seeking more interaction or tiany feel for why they’re more responsive these days.

01:15.14
Susanne Mueller
Yeah, that’s a good question I I don’t know it feels like the runner community are just more responsive because it’s we’re bonding right? So You think as a runner you always go along? No, we actually go in groups you train together. And then you go to a Marathon race or even iron Man Race and there you do your you perform alone but the training is usually done in groups and that’s when you you run together you sweat together you go in rain any any kind of weather and.

01:46.69
podcomm
The Ray and ray.

01:51.95
Susanne Mueller
Our group we have a saying whether or not whether is no factor so we show up. We say many Saturdays eight o’clock we knew people would show up and then maybe would be 2 or 3 people in central park only the crazy ones. But if you would show up.

01:53.40
podcomm
Yes.

02:08.16
Susanne Mueller
And maybe that’s the same for the podcasting. Everybody has a cool story and I always want to hear their running story but they’re also their life story which I might not have known and 1 example is my friend nevior I know he’s italian but he basically said. He was on a boat and he jumped off the boat and he never went back to to italy that is the story and I never knew about that story. So you’re also confronted with stories that you’re like oh my god what do I say now and I think that’s that’s pretty cool that what you can do. In ah in a podcast interview.

02:41.95
podcomm
What comes out. Um, Hatton I’m I’m curious have you so that’s somebody that you know and wore running with physically not just someone you know, digitally. Um, so do you use the? Um, so so.

02:48.98
Susanne Mueller
Yes.

02:58.80
podcomm
There’s the access question like if you’re a podcaster and you want to get access to people. Do you find yourself using your podcast more just to satisfy your personal curiosity or do you use the podcast itself as like ah it’s like an a press badge. You know, like if I say I’m a podcaster people are more likely to talk to me versus. You know some people are easy to get to and I’m just curious to talk to them like there’s a slight different way you can deploy it.

03:24.23
Susanne Mueller
It’s funny that some people like the the people that I know from the running community and and I have been a running coach for the New York Grow runners so I know hundreds of runners a lot people when you come and run with me in central pot are like.

03:32.17
podcomm
Um, a lot.

03:39.80
Susanne Mueller
You know that person you know that person on any given day you know at least 3 or 4 people or some people you don’t know but you’ve seen them over and over. So I think that’s that’s one and then the others I don’t know some people are being sent to me so I don’t even know them. But it’s something it bonds us together to running.

04:00.86
podcomm
Do you I’m wondering how much how much do you actually talk or like is a conversation that’s had while you are running is that noticeably different from a conversation that you can have with someone over a cup of tea or on a podcast.

04:14.82
Susanne Mueller
Oh yeah, so we have to saying what’s happening in central park stays in central park. Ah when you trying for a marathon. Obviously you run for three or four hours together in a group you have many topics and we always say we don’t need a therapist.

04:34.37
podcomm
Um.

04:34.80
Susanne Mueller
Used the running as Therapy and also runners I don’t know I know you’re into sports but we have many cool stories that you don’t share with people who are non-runners. Maybe the bathroom routine. Um, but you do before a race or everybody has a cool story that.

04:44.59
podcomm
Right.

04:54.16
Susanne Mueller
They don’t share with everybody so it’s It’s always funny and some people share it on the podcast and some people don’t.

05:01.61
podcomm
Do they get surprised by I’d like I’m I’m wondering so they know Suzanne they have you like pigeonholed as a runner like this is a runner and she’s a running teacher. Do they get surprised by I’m going to say like your mastery level of podcasting like. Like you’re not new at this so you’re you’re going to ask really good questions and you’re going to follow really interesting side trails. You know as opposed to like having a you know, checking off questions on a sheet does that surprise them like do they go? Oh and you’re actually really good at this in addition to running.

05:37.73
Susanne Mueller
Ah, that’s funny. First of all I have a cool story so I come to running class every to say we would meet somewhere and the lady comes up to me and she says I think I saw you in the city but I wasn’t sure you look so beautiful and and I said to her why didn’t you say hi. And ah she says I I wasn’t sure it was you and I said to her look I went to a meeting and I had high heeled shoes on and I cannot walk in high heel shows so you have to say a lot to me rather I recognize you so that’s one story and um in the podcasting world I think people. Don’t know so much that I’m a podcaster so when I invite them they’re like ah I’ll be on the podcast and when I say I have more than 225 episodes. They’re like ah ah, really, ah so then they’re like oh and now.

06:24.47
podcomm
Oh oh.

06:31.30
Susanne Mueller
I think 3 or 4 people reached out to me for a coaching and engagement I’m an executive coach and they say you have a podcast. Um, maybe you can help the people also Express themselves better or talk better because we know. Whoever says that you know you know you know we have to cut it out and I think if somebody’s speaking if you always say M Um, um or all those filler words it’s It’s kind of like a I was listening to a video the other day and every other word was um and I was like.

06:57.21
podcomm
Married fillers.

07:06.98
Susanne Mueller
I cannot watch that video I stopped.

07:07.12
podcomm
Um, there has to be some really good material buried in there before I’m waiting through that.

07:11.76
Susanne Mueller
No I’m not sorry and this is what I think Also podcasting has taught me it’s It’s about being concise having the good questions and I do not have questions lined up except when it’s a different language in Spanish because my Spanish is.

07:31.66
podcomm
Um.

07:31.71
Susanne Mueller
so so Masso Menos so I send out the questions ahead of time so we don’t have a surprise. So I think sometimes I had an interview and I almost felt as if the lady did not understand me so well and it was easier so that we had that questions ahead of time. But other than that.

07:47.65
podcomm
I Think that’s completely understandable I have never yet tried to do a podcast. The only language that I could make a case for would be French and my conversational French is my listening is vastly better than my speaking and I think you make a great point about as a podcaster we sort of.

07:50.51
Susanne Mueller
No, ah.

08:07.42
podcomm
Self-select for getting better at language and how to use it and how to be concise and how to guide the other person. Do you find that you get a different. No. You mentioned you get different stories from runners that you already knew when you talk to them. But do you find that you get a different. Like a different person shows up.

08:25.28
Susanne Mueller
Than in the running. Yeah because they they show up as not as the real person because I always think like as a runner you show up as the real person because when you put on the shoes and you check it in your t-shirt. Everybody is on the same. Level in a way. But if you’re like let’s say in an office somebody’s a Ceo somebody’s a doctor we had people from all walks of life. So when you have the shoes on you’re the same and when they show up in a podcast I want to know what they do when they don’t run because.

09:00.63
podcomm
Um.

09:02.79
Susanne Mueller
In in a coaching session I Always ask people. What do you do when you don’t work and you get interesting stuff So I have my other friend. He is a seek his name is um, sing and I Mean. He he runs in his turban and he’s the only sik that that there is in the Marathon. So I mean I had him on the podcast and he said he’s an accountant and initially when they came to the Us they were sleeping on Newspaper or because he didn’t have money.

09:35.82
podcomm
Um.

09:37.40
Susanne Mueller
To pay for the staff. He would sleep on 3 chairs I didn’t know that story I know he was a well-to-do accountant and ah, you know you hear you hear fantastic stories that you don’t hear in a Tim Ferriss ah podcast in a way so you you can really go onto a very. Personal level when you know the people I think.

09:58.71
podcomm
I think that’s a great point about I don’t want to say like once you get too famous. It’s hard to get good guests because obviously Tim Ferriss gets good guests but there’s something about um, one of the things that I do with the movers mindset project is we’re trying to create a platform for people who. Wouldn’t be heard or who may not be heard enough. Um, because like there’s tons of people. Whatever pick any pick any vertical or running park or whatever. There’s tons of people and I’m finding that it’s not that the famous people aren’t pleasant or don’t have great things to say but the other people. Pleasant and have great things to say as well and I just love that experience of I you know don’t know what I’m going to get from this other conversation over here. But oh look it worked out well again. So the like the magic of podcasting works. Whether people. Expect like I’ve been on a thousand podcasts I’m famous whether they expect it or whether they’re like oh Suzanne you have a microphone too. I wasn’t expecting that that that I think really shows that what we all believe that podcasting is magical that that it really is that it really is a cool tool. Um. What do you think is the let’s ask a specific question related to that. What what do you think is someone that you’ve interviewed and you don’t have to drop the name if you don’t want to but somebody that you’ve interviewed who was like the least known most like unseen runner who had like a really. Impactful story to share.

11:25.97
Susanne Mueller
I mean my friend memo who is the fastest runner that I know he runs a 2 29 marathon in New York city and Two Twenty nine is one of the 50 fastest people on this planet earth right? and he’s training. No no.

11:33.18
podcomm
Wow.

11:40.20
podcomm
Yeah I was thinking like 3 hours is great I think.

11:45.64
Susanne Mueller
No, and he’s forty eight years old and I said to him what is it and he says it’s the passion for the running I do it every day and I’ve seen it. He runs to work and then he runs back in every weather right? Summer winter. Whatever.

12:00.44
podcomm
The all weather.

12:04.68
Susanne Mueller
He’s actually training for the Boston Marathon and also the New York city but yeah two Twenty nine and the other one that I need to mention because what are you doing October Nine I need to do some promo my friend and he was my coach for my ironman his name is Dan and his brother lives. In a house in Louisiana he has been there since he was born. He’s mentally challenged and he doesn’t have good eyesight so they have a website. It’s called run for Rob and I’ve interviewed him and not only is he raising money for his brother but he also donated. Part of his liver and nine weeks later even less than that he did a half iron man in like plastic. So when do you ever get to hear those people because I think we always say we want to make we want to get the change makers I think I get them so with memo.

12:59.80
podcomm
There.

13:02.12
Susanne Mueller
A mexican who is actually also an idol for the mexican community but then also run for Rob where we can help o October Nine we’ll be in central park. We do some burpe we do some running so with the podcast you can actually also use it as a platform. Call it like grassroots in a way right? So you you can have a message that I don’t know how we would even convey it to other people.

13:30.97
podcomm
Your written form isn’t the same. It’s not the same to like I I interviewed this person and here’s my experience like it’s not the same as hearing them say it in their own words I like that you mentioned that he’s a hero to.

13:47.65
Susanne Mueller
And.

13:47.90
podcomm
I would say his own people in his own country and I think there’s something about I’m still thinking about really famous guests versus guests who they may be well known in their nietzche in in running or something. Um, but when you bring in somebody who’s really famous and then they share. Just so like something simple I mean it’s impressive or touching or deep but it’s just a simple thing like here’s something simple that I did the people who are listening who had them up on a pedestal I think that really helps make them go oh right? It’s just another human being like I think that’s another thing that comes through very well in podcasting.

14:23.57
Susanne Mueller
And.

14:25.95
podcomm
If you write I talk to this person you know and you write something that shows that really just the person It doesn’t doesn’t land the same way as when you hear that person say something simple like you know I went then I went for groceries like oh okay, you are a normal person.

14:40.16
Susanne Mueller
Yeah, yeah, and I also want to say something about when you talk to a person and I feel that you’re in sync with the other person you you feel like you’re on the same waveleng so I had a guest.

14:52.83
podcomm
Who.

14:56.68
Susanne Mueller
And he seems like very accomplished he has done all the 7 highest summits and then I was like all right? We don’t want a sales pitch because I’ve been on ka command killimonjaro too. So I was like you cannot tell me anything about Mon Kilimanjaro because I’ve been there so we talk and it was. Very honest of him what he shared so he went a second time and he did not get to the summit and I was like wow this is tough and you know leadership is like Nelson Mandela says lead from the back and make sure that people think they’re leading versus you’re leading from the back. And then all of a sudden and I still get goosebumps. He says I was in South Africa when Nelson Mandela died and that moment I mean I didn’t know that he was there I just quoted that quote because I loved this quote and it had such an impact. Maybe only for me, but it was just phenomenal. This was like a I don’t know turning moment for me of like wow this is what we can do in the podcast world.

16:03.32
podcomm
Um, it’s it’s always interesting how um, something happens when I’m talking to a guest on a podcast and I just sit there and think well. Like that’s amazing like what are the chances of you know your life and my life like as you’re describing in those stories those 2 vastly different stories came together in that one moment like like literally on a conversation that’s being recorded. They come together and then I think yeah. But there was something that made you want to talk to that person. There was something in the back of your mind that that went this person’s probably just doing the book tour but you know what I think I’ll talk like there. There are so many little subtle things that I think I miss that when I when I get to the magical moment then I go. I don’t know what the subtlety was that I’m not seeing right now but it was there like this was not a completely random thing. There was something that I picked up on and that they picked up on when they said yes somehow it came through in the email or whatever medium I was using.

17:01.39
Susanne Mueller
yeah yeah I don’t know I don’t know what it is and I mean it was a person I didn’t know somebody said you have to interview that person I was like all right, let me see but I’m very happy that we had that exchange and also I think when you. Let’s say I interviewed a person aswis person. She does 10 iron men in ten days a little crazy and I said to her look some people go to work from 9 to 5 you’re basically doing an ironman from 9 to 5 and she’s like yeah you get it.

17:28.52
podcomm
Whoa.

17:38.58
Susanne Mueller
And then I ask her? What do you eat? How do you sleep? how many your shoes. Do you have all the practical of because I know and she says you understand you understand and the same it was I was interviewing our mutual ah colleague Monica from lithuanium the piano player.

17:41.96
podcomm
Ah, right.

17:54.80
podcomm
Um.

17:56.96
Susanne Mueller
Fantastic person. The episode will come out and at one point I said to myself I Want to ask her different questions and I said to her because I just wrote the book lipstick leadership What kind of a lipstick. Do you put On. She shouldn’t have seen her face. She was like nobody ever has asked me that Question. Or I asked her a question because I think there’s a difference of reciting composing training or performing and I said to her. What do you like and she was like that’s a very good Question. So I think sometimes because I’ve had so many episodes.

18:22.98
podcomm
Um.

18:34.89
Susanne Mueller
I’m getting used to asking maybe different questions and with the running and the iron man I understand what you go through at the in the morning when you have to get up at four o’clock or so I can feel what that person. Potentially can feel before the event.

18:57.60
podcomm
I’m not at a loss for more questions. But I’m watching the time and the hardest part about this podcast show is stopping somewhere around 20 minutes and I think I will just save my questions for another conversation. Thank you so much for taking the time for helping me.

19:05.75
Susanne Mueller
So yeah.

19:15.29
podcomm
Beat the technology into submission so we could get it recorded and I look forward to hearing what you create.

19:19.33
Susanne Mueller
Okay, wonderful. Thank you so much.