Transcript for "Process - with James Fricker"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine today I’m talking with James Fricker welcome James! …also joining me from tomorrow. I love the fact that we the world is a big place. How are you today? How are you this morning. How are you tomorrow?

00:09.31
James
Yeah, yeah, very good. Thanks Craig! It’s it’s great to be on here and then um, yeah, the tomorrow is is a great day. So I’m excited for you to experience it as well. I’m loving that running thread that’s going through now.

00:21.74
podcomm
Um, yeah, we have a mutual friend who is just on my show and I think just recently on your show too. Adam Ashton and and he and I did the exact same thing I like I’m sorry this is still new to me talking to people around the world I’m a digital import anyway.

00:30.25
James
That’s right? yeah.

00:36.60
James
Yeah.

00:39.61
podcomm
We do a little conversation beforehand and I think the thread that piques my interest is to talk about. There’s different um media so you know when James and I say we’re a podcaster. It’s like. Yeah but um, and all the podcasts should do the same thing. Yeah, do we mean audio only do we do we do Youtube is it video. Do we make video grams or they call them audiograms make little video clips that are faux jumping equalizer bars with audio on it so that we can stuff audio like all these complexities about the media.

01:00.78
James
And fight.

01:12.00
podcomm
Um, that we choose to create our work in. Um and I’m I’m wondering how do you? How do you decide like where to draw the line. So at some point you have to just be like yeah I’m I’m done with this episode because and I myself.

01:24.49
James
The.

01:28.97
podcomm
You could spend forever. You could just be like oh I don’t do this then I’ll make a jump cut and then and I’m going to pull this reminds me I’ll pull these too together. It just gets nuts. So how do you figure out. Okay I have wrung enough juice out of this lovely grapefruit I’ve gotten something meaningful from it and now I’m going to put it down like how do you make that decision.

01:33.98
James
And.

01:44.28
James
yeah yeah I think that’s a great question because I think certainly like you said you can get really in the weeds a little bit with you know you can do this and this and then there’s oh I can like I can have like we were saying before and you can have the clips of the episode around. You can like turn the episode into like a blog post. You know you can post it here here but you know there’s all the different kinds of social media like why don’t we change the video into portrait mode then I can have a Tiktok you know? Yeah yeah, so you know you can do all that stuff and I think it’s certainly overwhelming, especially if you’re someone that’s just doing it yourself and you’re you know you like like even myself. Um.

02:09.60
podcomm
Right? by the Transcript underneath is okay.

02:23.67
James
Work full time and then the podcasts decide thing right? So it’s never gonna be I’m not really gonna have enough time really ever to do all this stuff like it’s gonna have to be I need someone to help or do this or do that. Um, but I think 1 thing that helps with this I think is having the regular cadence of episodes just because I so so for myself. My podcast is called graduate theory and it comes out every Tuesday morning and I think that helps me with not like with the sort of max work that I can do in a certain amount of time and so that kind of all I yeah yeah.

02:53.29
podcomm
Stuck on the tracks and the train is coming. We will be done by tuesday.

02:59.71
James
Yeah, yeah, exactly so there’s there’s like a clear clear cutoff and it kind of ends up being roughly the same like some episodes I’ll managed to do more where I’ll be like oh yeah, maybe we can do this or like yeah, we’ll do that you know a few extra things like some I have a newsletter that goes out with with each episode. So you can subscribe on the website to it and sometimes like my write-ups. For example, will be a bit longer if I have more time and I can go into a bit more depth or sometimes they’ll be a bit shorter sometimes maybe I’ll try and do some clips on Linkedin through the week because Linkedin’s quite relevant to my audience and then kind of just.

03:19.82
podcomm
Um.

03:35.00
James
I did instagram for a while as well. But I just found and and there’s even tools I’m trying to but there’s there’s one I used it was called repurpose and so the way the tool worked was that you could post a Youtube video. Well this is the way I think there’s multiple ways you could have set it up but I would post a youtubelid. So.

03:43.00
podcomm
Um.

03:54.93
James
This would be like a sub 1 minute clip and then it would post it on Linkedin and on Instagram from the set. It would just take the Youtube clip convert it into a portrait thing ad like by chosen like you know, have those clips that have the sort of middle video then up the top. It’s like the title and the.

04:04.47
podcomm
Right.

04:11.94
podcomm
Is.

04:13.78
James
At the bottom is the subtitles so it would do all that stuff. Um, but I just found you know people weren’t really paying attention. They’ve seen like this literally the same format of a clip like that many times. But yeah.

04:21.88
podcomm
I I know it you mean I I found that it and it gets worse I don’t know I’m hoping you haven’t had this experience but it gets worse when this stuff kind of works like I have um one of my shows not this show but another one of my shows is called Movers Mindset and.

04:31.44
James
Yeah.

04:38.94
podcomm
We’ve been going for 5 years and 120 I don’t know coming up 130 episodes it’s enormous and every once in a while I used to get around to making little videogram you know 10 seconds it’s just an audio highlight of the guest you know, drop in the truth bombs and his little jumping bars.

04:52.65
James
Um.

04:56.40
podcomm
And I’d put in an Instagram and like 50 people would immediately download the episode and I’m like well I guess I should be doing that more often like I think it would be better if I did it nobody cared I’d be like yes, okay, that’s a waste of time but when when you try something that kind of like this is cool and then people respond you’re like oh.

05:01.69
James
Wow, Yeah, and yeah, rise. Yeah m.

05:13.94
podcomm
Maybe I should keep doing that but it makes it worse. Um, so I think it’s important you know for us I Want to make this sound like we’re we’re doing like really important work here. But it’s important for us to talk about? Yeah these problems are real like there’s information overload. Um, the people who are not tech, not techno.

05:19.80
James
Yeah.

05:32.86
podcomm
Technoologicalically savvy if only I was wordtically savvy people who aren’t technologically savvy have to also like yeah and this stuff is hard I mean you strike me as a kind of guy like this stuff isn’t that hard. It’s like click click clicking away we go. But if imagine if you had to also figure out how to work Youtube right? and just be like oh this is too much so I think it’s important.

05:41.50
James
And yeah, and.

05:51.20
podcomm
To be aware of your limits and to know when you’ve blown past them and to figure out ways to you know all right? This is what I’m doing So what are you currently finding is the most like the part I don’t want to say the part of your show because it makes it sound like I mean the intro or the middle you know, but like what? ah.

05:53.39
James
A.

06:07.51
James
Yeah.

06:10.12
podcomm
About your podcast is currently the thing that you know you’re like looking at the clock at the day job and you’re like I want to get to this part of the thing.

06:18.85
James
Yeah I think there. Yeah, it’s a good question. There are there are a few different steps that that I allowed us sort of go through which is probably quite similar. You know you could creating the cover art like editing the actual episode and then creating the newsletter from content in the episode. They’re kind of the the 3 hree pillars and I think so like honestly what gets me like really excited is when I know that I’ve had a great episode and then I want to go and edit it and almost re-listen to it while I’m editing it and then and even then like you know, condense down the key points and put it in somewhere that yeah you can go back and read it later. Think that I did an episode recently with this guy called Adam Gaha he’s a real estate investment investment guy and he just had so much fantastic advice and I knew that from it when we when we spoke our episode was incredible. And like while I was at the chatning gym I was like oh my goodness like this is so great. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly exactly right? and you know and then knowing about the city man then waiting like and then I finally got to edit and I was like oh.

07:17.87
podcomm
Yeah, there you say the the meta version of me is behind me going. Oh my God Are you hearing this and I’m like shut up I’m trying to have a conversation. Yeah.

07:33.90
James
Listen again, This is great. Yeah, and I think I think that’s really good. So I guess editing it is is really cool and then and like you said it before you know listening to it and then hearing the guests hit those truth bombs and just being like damn thatir like I like basically something killed there. You know.

07:44.57
podcomm
Um, yeah, we need we need like I need sign language for like I need sign language that is a gesture that indicates I’m just pressing stop. That’s the end of the show. But oh my God that was awesome I Love you so much. But I want to just make a hand gesture so I can just do that.

07:56.30
James
Yeah, yeah.

08:00.96
podcomm
Um, because I think that’d be a great way to end a show when the guest just says and here’s the best part of the whole thing the world and then it just ends. It’s like 5 seconds that’s not what’s it dance because we don’t need any more of Craig talking about podcasts. What do you think is something that you should be doing um I mean.

08:04.89
James
Yeah, yeah. Ah.

08:20.35
James
But there’s there’s a lot. There’s a lot I think like you know you can I feel like the the bubble just keep something growing. You can can You can always add more? Um, but I think myself the focus really is.

08:20.90
podcomm
You can go off on a tangent and have it not be related to podcasting but I’m thinking related to podcasting What is something that you should be doing that. You’re not currently doing.

08:39.71
James
The moment there are there are a few things like building like my my pipeline or my but like my bank of episodes is saying that I’m trying to work on doing. It’s been something that I’ve been trying to do for a while now and it’s kind of constantly remained between sort of maybe 1 to I think I had it out to.

08:46.22
podcomm
M.

08:59.62
James
Four weeks at one point which which was great but ideally it sort of remains at that length. So that’s something that I’m trying to be better at I’d say that and also posting more regularly on social media because I think Linkedin for my my podcast is about like early careers and. Growing your career and you know how to do all the things that are associated with that and so Linkedin is really the primary place to do social media so being more active there and you know posting multiple times a week or whatever it is would be great for my my podcast. But yeah, sometimes. You know things are going on and just everything just seems to add up. Yeah, and you know there’s always the things. Yeah exactly? Yeah yeah, it’s like those things you always want to do them. But then that is ah the first thing is off like when things.

09:38.61
podcomm
Well, we’re skipping that part right? Yeah I’m just going to Mark that done even though I didn’t actually do it go away checkboxes right? I know that feeling.

09:53.20
podcomm
The yeah.

09:55.65
James
You know everything else is heading up that is the fus things off the block. So yeah, those 2 things would be things that I want to do more of that I yeah I maybe do just enough to keep it going. Um.

10:07.12
podcomm
Yeah, how this maybe a little early in the journey. But how will you know when you’re done like how do you know which episode is the last one.

10:17.68
James
I think yeah, it’s a good question and it’s honestly one I’ve been reflecting on recently because I’m thinking you know I’ve done like 20 episodes now you know am I gonna get to like hundred and fifty episodes yeah yeah Yeah,

10:29.16
podcomm
20 episodes by the way congratulations. Ah I like to publicly acknowledge people who have any success whatsoever in podcasting because it’s a long lonely hard road so congratulations on I think you’re at 22 or something I think you said before but anyway sorry I interrupted you.

10:42.12
James
yeah yeah yeah yeah that’s okay yeah I think I’ve just completely blanked done what one mile sorry youre not oh, that’s right? Yeah, yay, yeah, but yes, but thank you for reminding me. So.

10:49.99
podcomm
Oh I asked you? how do you know when you’re done. What’s the last thing the downside of doing what’s the last one

11:00.49
James
Yeah I think I’ve been thinking you know am I going to get to 150 like is this kind of a is this podcast going to be saying that I’m going to still be doing in like 3 4 5 years and I think it’s a difficult question and and then if if it’s not something you want to do you know when like it you know, do.

11:16.17
podcomm
Um, right right now stop.

11:18.58
James
Stop now like you know, um, save yourself if you’re gonna stop doing it eventually. yeah exactly so yeah I think I think for myself like my podcast like I’ve said is early career focuss and I think perhaps in 5 years I’m not really gonna be as much early career. As I am now like I’ve been working for a year so the podcast is really like it’s almost a selfish thing where it’s I want people to give me career advice and then hopefully that resonates with other people that are in a similar position to me but I sort of.

11:38.61
podcomm
There.

11:46.61
podcomm
Except I’m going to push back on Selfish I Don’t think that’s selfish selfish might be if you didn’t publish them if you invite it I Wonder how far you could get inviting guests telling him. It’s a podcast I Any I’m going to publish any minute now I just never have any intention of publishing it just use it for all the that might be selfish.

11:51.59
James
Yeah, hit sha. Yeah, we yeah.

12:03.89
podcomm
But no I think sharing what you’re doing I my opinion this clearly not selfish. You’re putting in a ton of work. But I interrupted you again. Sorry.

12:05.86
James
Yeah, no, let’s take it. Yeah I think you know, ah so yeah, like in 5 years perhaps I’m not in the early career space anymore. Perhaps it’s like growing my career in this format isn’t gonna be something that interests me.

12:13.39
podcomm
I.

12:24.91
James
As much as it does now and like perhaps perhaps it will perhaps it won’t but I think what would be a nice way to wrap. It would be you know to create some kind of like an ebook or something like that to kind of condense a lot of the learnings into something and then that would be a nice way to say like this is the end here’s something that.

12:35.18
podcomm
Yeah.

12:43.77
James
Summarizes the whole journey and now we’re on to the next thing and I don’t look. That’s just an idea I have in my head and I’m not really sure when I’ll get to the point where I feel like okay I’ve kind of explored all the areas that I want to explore Everything’s kind of yeah if everything is kind of discovered now I think I can. You know I think I can teach someone how to have ah an early career. You know great story for themselves in.

13:07.46
podcomm
I think that reflects you’re having a clear idea what you want the show to be like if I know I wanted it to be about making cheesecake. Don’t know why I’m thinking about cheesecake I’m hungry but I wanted to be if I’m making cheesecake at some point all right. That’s enough like I’ve done like 150 pieces of cheesecakes where you can move on. So I think.

13:16.11
James
Yeah, good.

13:22.94
James
And.

13:26.80
podcomm
Because you have such a clear. What strikes me as a clear purpose and you know what you’re doing. You might maybe hopefully be able to tell when yeah okay I’ve I’ve done enough I’ve got my you know 8020 out of it. But I think that’s pretty astute. Ah.

13:33.88
James
Yeah.

13:40.84
podcomm
Do you tell? Ah you tell your coworkers that you’re a podcaster is it is like you know, do you wear that on you like say where your heart and your sleeve Do you wear I’m a podcaster on your sleeve and your regular daily life.

13:49.46
James
Yeah I didn’t I do now I think when I first started I was initially a little bit skeptical because I wasn’t sure is this something you tell like people at work if it’s like especially because minds like quite closely related like it’s ah you know I’m talking about like.

13:58.24
podcomm
Um, yeah.

14:05.67
James
Work tips. So it’s not like I’m talking about a hobby that I have on the side. So definitely I was like that and then I you know I even was would ask people like I remember going to Haar and I was like hey I’m gonna do this thing. Is this allowed you know and what happens if I start like make some money from this like how because I aren’t like I don’t ah no idea of how the rules like I know some companies like you like the company kind of owns what you do on the side or yeah, well so even.

14:30.19
podcomm
Um, yeah, non-competes or yeah, right Intellectual property.

14:38.13
James
Perhaps I was naive in going to them because I know some people would just kind of do it and then they’ll sort of worry about that stuff later but I went like straight away I haven’t really recorded any episodes of that stage and I was like hey I’m going to do this thing is this allowed and they’re like yeah like fill out this form Whatever and it was all good which is nice. But yeah, and once that sort of happened and then now I talk about it like most of the other graduates that are the same place as me like we all. Well they all know what I’m doing like it’s all I did a big post on my Linkedin so most of my network on Linkedin knows what I’m doing as well. Um.

15:12.34
podcomm
Is aware has it been any interest from your employer I know where you work but we haven’t said it yet. So we’ll keep not saying it. There’s any interest from your any interest from your employer to maybe create something internal for them like not specifically the same kind of podcast but you know maybe.

15:16.78
James
F. Yeah, good.

15:26.83
James
So.

15:31.43
podcomm
Just random conversations of people who all work in the same place so you get to meet people through you know, 2 floors away or now everything’s remote and we don’t get the chance any any discussions or interest in podcasting within the organization that you’re aware of.

15:35.47
James
Ah.

15:41.56
James
Yeah, there. There are some things that exist already which are sort of like podcasts but they’re not really on the same like not a typical podcast. There’s some shows where they’ll go like hey we’re gonna like interview this person speak about them. But. There might be like once every three months or something you know so it’s not real and and it’s like you can’ of have to be there. There’s no real recording afterwards. It’s almost just like a live interview. Um, that’s you know on teams or whatever video cool software that you would use but um. Yeah I think it would be really cool because I know there’s things you can do now you can have like a private podcast where you can have the Rss feed like privately so you need to come from any you can. Yeah exactly? Yeah yeah, and it’s and it’s unlikely, you’re gonna say like.

16:22.67
podcomm
Man The company can control it. So not to worry about they can’t say that. Yeah, right? yeah.

16:31.84
James
Really confidential stuff in there Anyway. So I Guess the security doesn’t have to be quite as tight, but you know I think the like something like that would be really cool and I think a lot of organizations, especially you know, given the distributed nature of things now where perhaps you don’t go to the office at all and getting to know your colleagues. A little bit deeper is saying that would be really cool. So so far there hasn’t been any any interest in doing that. But I think certainly a lot of organizations could benefit from something like that because I think it’s It’s if you and like it’s fairly low effort.

17:07.61
podcomm
Yeah.

17:08.33
James
Thing to do you know you could have 1 or 2 people that just chat to someone every week and it’s you know and it could be could be quite interesting. There’s 1 thing actually we’re doing at the moment which I just completely forgot about. We’re actually starting this thing at work called a um I work at Anz and it’s called Anz Radio um and so it’s like it’s is it a podcast otherre we’re basically interviewing like senior leaders. But it’s much more of a let’s not talk about work and let’s ask you like what your favorite food is you know? Yeah what What’s your favorite cheesecake.

17:38.46
podcomm
What position you play in football right.

17:44.28
James
Flavor you know things like that. Ah yeah, so yeah, things like that you know make it a bit more fun which I think is really cool. Um, at the moment. It’s only we’re only going to do like 3 episodes and then we’ll kind of see from there but certainly I think you know creating a private thing interviewing just like.

17:47.50
podcomm
Finella. Ah.

18:03.34
James
Ah, normal employee somewhere and just saying well sort of yeah, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a senior person that’s like you know trying to show this off site or anything like that you know I think something like that could be really cool would just get to know the workforce a little bit better.

18:19.91
podcomm
Is there a podcast out there that you would love to be a fly on the wall for you know like you want to go you know either see them. Do do record or you want to hang out in the production room while they argue over how the episode gets put together but like you know you could just I want to just be in the room like.

18:29.77
James
Um, and. Yeah I think for me, Tim Ferriss has been a big inspiration and someone that I’ve learned a lot from so he did an episode I’m not sure how my goal was now might have been towards the end of last year

18:36.62
podcomm
Have one of those in mind is there something that comes up.

18:53.83
James
He did like a breakdown of this the way he podcasts and like what he uses and I’m sure. Um, perhaps you’ve listened to this I know a lot of like if you have a podcast and okay yeah, but if you have a podcast. Yeah I think I would like it I Would highly recommend the scene to it because ah, there’s.

19:00.15
podcomm
Um I haven’t listened to it isn’t the cue I don’t you don’t need more toys. Yeah.

19:12.38
James
For me in my head. There’s a clear sort of before and after from listening to that of like how I guess like when I started I had no real idea like you just kind of sit in the chair and you’re like oh hey, how’s it going like let’s have a chat you know, but listening to him the kind of the way he does things I was like oh that’s that’s what you had you know.

19:13.97
podcomm
Um.

19:31.49
James
That’s how you make you like your that’s like that’s what goes into good preparation and having good questions and things like that and you know having like things like ah, a backup recording system you know and all this stuff I mean he’s maybe yeah, he goes into quite a bit of detail and that sort of stuff which is maybe unique to him. But I.

19:40.42
podcomm
Um, yeah.

19:50.89
James
Think there are certainly some lessons and some great lessons that I picked up from him. Not only in that episode. But I think throughout all his episodes now that I have a sort of reference for the way he does things and you can kind of hear that in other episodes that he does so I think for him. You know he only obviously introduces is well. It speaks to a pretty interesting guest as well. So I think he would certainly be be up there and I think like the classics like Lex Friedman and Joe Rogan as well. They they’re always interviewing like probably some of the most interesting people that you could want to speak to so.

20:11.82
podcomm
Sure.

20:26.76
James
But obviously they would be right up there as well.

20:27.68
podcomm
Um, terrific all right James it was a pleasure I know 20 minutes flies by but thanks so much for getting up a little bit early I’m thinking to join me from the other side. Both eastwest and North South Craig has funma geography.

20:33.28
James
Ah, yeah.

20:42.92
James
Yeah heaven.

20:45.44
podcomm
Ah, bad at geographyography. But anyway, thanks for taking the time it was a pleasure Good chance to talk to you and I wish you the best of luck and great things with your show.

20:51.35
James
Thanks so much for having me on Craig. And I love what you’re doing here with the podcasting community, looking forward to see where it goes.