Transcript for "Presence - with Tania Del Rio"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine good morning tanya I guess it’s just afternoon where you are. You’re in Paris I’m envious I’m envious I can’t wait to get back to Paris um I don’t know that I’d say it’s my favorite city. But it’s definitely up there.

00:03.57
tania
I’m Tanya Del Rio

00:07.97
tania
Yes, it’s three thirty ish

00:19.74
podcomm
Definitely a beautiful place to hang out to visit so many different neighborhoods I’m off on a tangent before we started pressing record. Um we were chatting a little bit about you know calm How to become what makes Http://one.com um and I often say to people before we press record podcasting. And then just like see what comes out and you mentioned that that for you podcasting creates a space and a lot of people myself included talk about creating a space for the guest. But what you’re doing with your podcast and I think. Not to put words in your mouth but the space that you mean is different from that you’re talking about creating a space for yourself or the podcast triggers a space for you. So I’m I’m Wondering. Can you walk me through So I I Know what you’re doing but when you get the Postcard. What is it about knowing that you’re supposed to record something. What is it about that that creates the shift in your mind.

01:24.78
tania
Yeah I think it’s It’s a really interesting process that I go through with these postcards like I am outside usually it’s a moment outdoors that I’m I’m like a kind of researcher I go out with curiosity and.

01:34.93
podcomm
Are.

01:43.84
tania
I look for moments that are going to make me feel something and I pay attention. So I bring the senses fully like I’m listening I’m observing I’m feeling like the temperature the air. Whatever it is and then there’s always a moment that I then. Capture and I write about it and then the other part of it is like when I sit and record and usually I take a picture too. So when I sit and record I have an image in mind I have the experience in mind and then I. Write it and record it and usually in all that process I feel like fully present again in that moment but also the ability to share it makes it makes the whole experience is like chewing on the good moment.

02:43.20
podcomm
I’m eternally fascinated by the process of writing because I think I suck at it. So I Really enjoy like the the obstacle was the way I like to sit down and try and write and then go man. That’s bad. And I’m wondering you just kind of like skipped right by and then I write about it and I’m just like whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa How how hard is it to to take it. How art is it for you to take an experience and to try and write it down like that’s a translation From. You know the the visceral the feeling the temperature of the sun the wind How how difficult it is is it to go from that experience to go to something written and maybe as a corollary like has it gotten easier the more you do it or or have you always been good at that or did you.

03:33.59
tania
no no It it just happened I think it all started with the podcasting workshop when we had to do the sixty second exercise

03:33.80
podcomm
Learn to do that somewhere else or.

03:45.28
tania
So I was for for the listeners we we were supposed to record something in 60 seconds and share it with the group. So I started to go out and I was going for a run and then I would record whatever caught my attention without writing it most of the times. But then I realized once I I I I did that for about thirty five days nonstop so I built the habit. So after that. That’s how Postcards from Paris was like really how this project was born was that once I had the habit I i.

04:09.70
podcomm
Um.

04:22.80
tania
Put it into a podcast format and then when I realized to convey something in 60 seconds it has to be quick so I started writing it to try to because I I have a lot of words. Always.

04:36.53
podcomm
Um.

04:38.92
tania
So it’s like how do I convey that in a short amount of time in theory it was 60 seconds but usually I try to limit myself to 2 minutes that most postcards are under 2 minutes so I think it’s the building the practice now one almost one year later and hundred and fifty two postcards later um but it’s it’s building the muscle right? and you were you were asking how difficult or how not difficult and it really is it depends on when I write like the morning.

05:03.31
podcomm
Yeah, yeah.

05:16.23
tania
I have much more space for creativity than the afternoon. There’s less chatter in my head and then if I write if I go outdoors and I write what I want to say right away. It usually flows much easier.

05:30.31
podcomm
Wow.

05:32.75
tania
So there’s many things many aspects. Some days is super easy some days I’m I’m there and I it just doesn’t feel right.

05:42.69
podcomm
It’s a slog when you’re writing when you’re out and Writing. Do you write with pen and paper. Do you write like in a notebook like do you actually run and then stop and then try and write or is the is the journey to go out. And find an experience and write is that something you do specifically like I’m going out the door to go do that like tell me more about the actual process of how does one of those Postcards I’m air quoting. How does one of the Postcards get created.

06:07.14
tania
Yeah, so usually and now it’s more walking than running lately because I had any injury but ah so I go for a walk and I I go to see the trees and the birds and listen to the birds. So that’s the they they.

06:19.52
podcomm
Um.

06:25.43
tania
It’s not that I go to find something for Postcards I go to be outdoors and because that makes me feel really good and I always just bring a lot of curiosity and I think of it as I said like I’m bringing my senses for a walk and it always happens that.

06:39.71
podcomm
Um.

06:44.49
tania
And I’ve been to this park so many times and or to the River and every time I find something that captures my attention in a different way or that a moment that I’m like this is the moment. So it’s when I come back home.

06:57.96
podcomm
Um.

07:02.83
tania
I write directly in the computer and then I record.

07:08.56
podcomm
That’s super interesting I’ve I’ve taken enough walks around Paris to like yeah you could you could totally do that every day for your entire life. Um, because the seasons change and the weather is different and there’s just so many things going on. Um, do you have a preferred time of day that. You tend to walk like I do you walk like early in the morning or late in the evening or.

07:28.14
tania
Yeah, ideally if I’m out at 8 is my favorite time of course now the weather will start to change but the earlier the better. Yeah I feel because the park is a lot more calm There’s usually the runners. And people walking their dogs but not not many more people and and Paris is calm. It’s a city that you feel the khan in the morning and as the day is going on because I leap close to the eiffel tower it gets busier and busier as the. It’s a different place morning and evening. So and to me again because my mind goes fast. My nervous system needs the calm and it’s like I need to stretch it and Postcards is a way that I found to to stretch that.

08:06.14
podcomm
Mass.

08:22.96
podcomm
That’s a great choice of words stretch and that that makes me think um and so I Um, ah I speak a tiny bit of French No, we’re not going there but my question is I Definitely think in English write in English speak in English like. My thoughts are in English Do you? Um, when you’re writing the postcards. Do you do them and I’ll admit I don’t know if you put them out in English or French but like the ultimate product is in which language in English Do You think?? Well this is even better.

08:49.10
tania
English and I’m I’m originally from Mexico so my first language is spanish but english most of the time english.

08:59.63
podcomm
What language do you think in most of the time and when you doing the postcards. What are you thinking in in english.

09:06.48
tania
Totally like my vocabulary of gratitude and presence and all that is you know I did my yoga teacher training in English my health coaching in English I coach mostly in English and I teach mostly in english.

09:15.84
podcomm
Who.

09:22.39
tania
But I I also speak friend and teach in French but it’s it’s much harder.

09:24.21
podcomm
Um, because I was going to ask have you ever thought about or experimented with trying to do the same type of thing like have you ever tried to create a postcard thinking in Spanish and recording in Spanish. Thinking in French and recording in French you’ve ever tried that.

09:43.82
tania
No I’ve never but it’s a good experiment but I can add there that I notice when I was interviewed for a podcast in Spanish I could see that I was speaking and thinking. A little slower like I was like finding the words in Spanish and I when I heard the recording I’m like oh I was sort of the pace of it felt slower in a good way than now I think in a way it gave me that a little bit of space to.

10:03.41
podcomm
Um.

10:13.26
podcomm
I can say better or worse this.

10:21.22
tania
Like think before answering in a quick way but in the way with the way it sounded I felt like oh I didn’t go in a tangent as easily.

10:31.41
podcomm
Now I always I’m always fascinated by how language works not just how you know I make some noises ooh and you know they come out on your side and then you have an idea like why is he making mucky noises like like you can communicate these ideas just by making sounds which is a kind of magic. Especially because we’re on opposite sides of an ocean like I just love I love this century but I’ve always I’ve always wondered about are the types of ideas. Um I was going to say can are the types of ideas that one can have different but I think it’d be better to say. Is it easier to have certain kinds of ideas. In one language versus another um or is it easier to have better ideas when you have to actually struggle with the language a little bit more like I find like I said my french is really bad but from when I was trying to use it in France. Wound up being really economical with like yeah, that’s not worth saying. First of all, it’s going to take me 2 minutes to figure how to say it and second of all, no I’m just not going to say it and I wound up like cultivating this much more mindful way of communicating so I’m always fascinated by how language affects. You know the way I think and what I think and I don’t know if you’ve ever you know since you have 3 languages at your disposal if you have any more thoughts about that.

11:51.87
tania
Yeah I think it It is interesting when I started teaching yoga in French I Found it really complex because when I teach yonge in English like it sort of flows like I can make quick decisions depending on. What the students need special in group classes and that was a challenge when I was teaching I started teaching in French because I had to go through so many different steps to convey What what I had to say but as as with everything it’s it’s practice right? like ah it’s it’s It’s really. Building that muscle and you know at many points I was thinking I’ll I’ll just teach in English because it’s much easier than trying to make the effort to teach in French but because I I kept going.

12:40.62
podcomm
Um.

12:45.86
tania
And just being patient with myself and having students that were very patient with me I opened doors and I met people and I I have had an experience that I would have that would wouldn’t exist if I didn’t push through in that ah in being persistent. But I don’t know I think it’s it’s I always encourage people especially when they move here for a short time I I always encourage them to try try to learn and make the effort because it’s so worth it. Just even if it’s the basics. It just opened doors to a culture.

13:23.86
podcomm
Oh yeah, I Absolutely agree like just being able like my reading comprehension is vastly better than my listening and then my listening is better than my speaking. Um, and yeah, if you can at least read and understand this like because everybody else most people speak english.

13:24.90
tania
In a new way.

13:41.22
podcomm
But they’re not going to take the time they’re they’re not going to try and communicate the um museum display to you and you know they’re they’re like yeah, it’s a painting that’s it’s like yeah there I don’t feel like unpacking it for you in English But if you are able to begin to like dip in the pool in whatever the native language is things. Things always go better and a lot of people I have heard say oh if you just learned the language. Everybody’s nice to you. That’s not true I have met people who didn’t care at all that I was trying to speak their language. They wanted me to just get out I have had that happen in multiple places but most people. Who are generally nice will fall over themselves if you if you make the effort. So Anyway, I’m off on a tangent I but I wanted to ask a different question but now I forgot what it was um.

14:21.29
tania
And.

14:30.46
tania
Yeah, but it’s I think it’s a I think this communication and I think they you know going back to Postcards at the end. Um I I think it has allowed me to. Like I think the biggest gift it has been that it has allowed me to see Paris in a new way because I’m so fully present and I’ve discovered you know I think that training the ears has been a gift because i. Um, I arrived to the park and I know where the birds are and depending on how it sounds I know if they’re high or low and I am able to find them quicker and now I I share that with people not only experts but locals too like my yoga students have um.

15:11.89
podcomm
Um.

15:23.22
tania
Like there’s there’s a new way of communication that it’s just pirates and us it doesn’t matter where are you from and in mindful walk that I lead I think that’s a really cool thing as well that everyone it doesn’t matter where you’re from. And what language do you speak? We can all be there fully present to experience what Paris has to offer.

15:49.35
podcomm
That’s but terrific observation I think I was going to ask before about and then I forgot and I’m like wow, you just answered the question I was thinking of which is how is it different when you go out. Like um, looking for the spark that’s going to lead me to today’s Postcard episode and and you were like you were just saying I’m wondering if you’ve ever thought about your so your ultimate thing that you’re creating is audio making a podcast episode. Um, have you thought about so there’s different types of experiences right? You know there’s the I don’t know if you’re a crystal lover but like you know there’s the smell of the bougant jore you know in the morning right? which is totally a thing. Absolutely a thing um rive into the rose bakery on the north side. Oh kind of go to the go to the rose.

16:28.58
tania
Are no. Ah.

16:40.35
podcomm
Rose bakery sorry my wife has a beautiful book about it. Um, and we were in Paris and and we literally stumble on the bakery like it has places where they sell their stuff but we just like I’m walking up a street and I’m like hey isn’t that you know so like the things you fall over in a big city. Sorry. I was going to ask wise when you go out in the city. There’s the visual experience. There’s the auditory experience. There’s aromas. There’s um, depending on what languages you language or languages you’re in you get different experience. So if you stand ah beside you know the. Whatever stand somewhere where it’s real busy. You might hear english if. You’re an english speaker versus hearing french and and these people are having different conversations. Maybe all the english speakers are tourists and all the french people are the local evil. Whatever. Um, so there’s the difference in experience, you would get based on what language you’re primarily operating in so I’m wondering you.

17:19.47
tania
Yeah, yeah.

17:35.99
podcomm
You’re creating an auditory experience. You’re creating a podcast episode have you ever wondered or looked into which of those mediums of experience leads to better episodes if that makes sense.

17:46.51
tania
Ah, that’s that’s a really interesting question now I haven’t I haven’t explored that. Um, but it’s it’s something worth thinking about I think for me postcards is mostly about you know. Urban nature or these moments outdoors or when I’m on my yoga mat and I try to like sounds like if I’m near the church I collect the sound of the church but I i. I think it’s it’s worth thinking about it more for for the future as well. But um, yeah I think I through the work I do in in all different areas I just tried to invite people to See Paris

18:36.80
podcomm
Um.

18:36.92
tania
Beyond the busyness or beyond. You know that when Paris has to offer that it can be easily overlooked as in any big city like it’s it’s you get so carried away by all the the everything that it’s happening at once that um. Sometimes we miss some some things that can be really nourishing for many of us.

19:02.18
podcomm
I agree 100 % one of the but I was gonna say one of the magical ingredients I don’t know that it’s magic but 1 of the really important ingredients about Paris is the city is lower so you don’t get lost in canyons like if you go to a huge. Huge meaning tall like a tall city like New York City that you’re in a street and and that’s all there is is this 1 street. There’s nothing else like you’re not going to see things from 2 streets over um and in Paris you know 5 6 floors at most. So at a big intersection. You can see down the street. You can see the next thing over you can sit in a square and and look up and you know ° on either side is sky like there’s there’s open space above you? Um I’m I do have a favorite although I can’t remember the name I have ever written.

19:45.43
tania
Um, yes.

19:54.20
podcomm
Ah, ridiculously favorite cafe in a square but the name escapes me at the moment but that’s 1 thing that contributes to when you go out in a city like that and there are other cities around the world that are like that when you go out in a city like that. It’s easier I think to experience the city but to also not feel like.

20:12.22
tania
Yes, yes, yeah, and I think the sky the sky it’s it’s incredible when we are when we moved to Paris thirteen years ago we arrived July first and the first thing we we thought about was the clouds. The summer clouds are.

20:12.68
podcomm
The city is overwhelming you and.

20:27.38
podcomm
M.

20:31.20
tania
Like white big fluffy and it like that you if you see if you pay attention to the sky and now that we’re transitioning to autumn like the sunrises and sunsets are you know this pink in the air. It’s it. You’re just like I don’t know. Ah.

20:43.30
podcomm
M.

20:51.11
tania
It’s in the sense of awe I talk a lot about in in Postcards because if you pay attention and you really looked outside or you pay attention to the outside when you’re walking. It’s like you can be just like it. There’s a sense of connection to the city. Ah, that. And it’s always there. But it again sometimes it’s easy to miss.

21:14.65
podcomm
Well Tanya I think that’s a terrific place to stop I always say and I’ll hold the rest of my curiosity for another call. So thank you very much for taking the time and it’s a pleasure as always to talk to you.

21:27.62
tania
Thank you, Thank you so much for for this time and and I really appreciate it.