Transcript for "Possibilities - with Nicole Warner"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine so I was wondering if it be possible to talk about possibilities. We do this little. Everybody’s like we’re coming up on 50 I know what number this actually is we’re coming up on 50 of these and by now anybody listening should know that we talk a little bit beforehand.

00:01.33
Nicole Warner
Hi I’m Nicole Warner

00:12.36
Nicole Warner
Boom.

00:19.46
podcomm
And I don’t actually sometimes I don’t even know in this case I do but sometimes I don’t even have a slightest clue like people are coming in and I’m like um I don’t know I know their name. Um, but I know a little bit about you as I know a little bit about your podcast show I know just like some random things we’ve been discussing but I really just like to. A great science Fiction Story I can’t remember the title or the author. But it’s basically about a really incredible piece of artificial intelligence software that this guy winds up basically treating it like it’s his own child like he literally becomes attached to the entity as if it’s his child.

00:42.33
Nicole Warner
Doesn’t matter.

00:56.91
podcomm
But the problem is it’s like a research project at work and to run the thing takes a lot of money to get it to get computing time and at the end of it. He has to decide like they basically tell him mc okayy projects over delete it and he’s like well so he manages to like smuggle it out and then like in his spare time. He tries to run it right.

01:00.89
Nicole Warner
Yeah.

01:16.40
podcomm
And and and the punchline of the whole thing is basically um in his eyes. It is literally a child because like his whole intention is to just run this program enough to try to keep the tail lights in sight like in other words, every time he starts the program. It does like amazing like you know, human being things and he’s just like totally.

01:24.85
Nicole Warner
Um.

01:31.53
Nicole Warner
Ah.

01:36.10
podcomm
I don’t know what anything this? Ah, this has to do with anything other than possibility. Um, so when I asked you about podcasting you said possibility and the idea that and you’re still like is he really going to ask a question at some point the idea that when you begin to create an episode. You’re. Forced to choose like 1 possibility from um but a blossoming kaleidoscope of so many? Um, how do you choose.

02:04.16
Nicole Warner
I choose based on content and I still leave room for flexibility and creativity because it’s never going to be exactly what I plan. It’s never going to be exactly what I want it to be… It’s I think that’s the scariest part about the creative process as you begin somewhere. And then you have to allow creativity you like you kind of walk with creativity and that’s maybe the terrifying part because you never know what’s going to happen. But it’s like you have this 80% of the thing in mind and then creativity comes in with the other 20% and you just got around with it and I think that’s really scary. Think it’s really scary.

02:44.14
podcomm
Is is that all I need a sign that like is in the corner of the screen that says I am always well-intentioned like so things sound really negative. But what I was going to say is do you have that problem in other parts of your life because it’s like a really negative thing to say but like do you find that that challenge of.

02:54.14
Nicole Warner
Ah, yeah.

03:03.65
podcomm
It’s like an embarrassment of riches right? You’re like I have this project and there are so many possibilities. Yeah, this is a terrible problem to have do you find you have that embarrassment of riches in in other things or did podcasting really become the first time that you found this gaping chasm of possibility.

03:06.50
Nicole Warner
Yeah.

03:19.71
Nicole Warner
Oh that’s a really good question I think ah I think it was the sixty second practice in the podcast workshop that really helped me understand that. Ah you you show up. That’s the most important thing is to show up and then you’re going to find out what happens. Ah.

03:36.35
podcomm
Amen right.

03:38.15
Nicole Warner
Hey, we said show up and make it matter and I still have it on my wall. It’s still there. Um other parts of my life I don’t know I don’t think it’s quite the same but my podcast is is. Part of my business because that’s the intention of it is to connect with more people about German and German learning and German culture and Germanic culture. So Also Swiss culture and Austrian culture which is cool for me because that’s an adventure I still get to go on I know German culture really well. But I don’t know Austrian or Swiss culture really well. Um.

04:05.97
podcomm
Let’s.

04:11.11
Nicole Warner
Get really jealous when I see Rick Steves on television. Ah, it’s like I’m going hiking in Switzerland today like yeah yeah, you okay oh we need Rick Steves ah

04:14.79
podcomm
Ah, yeah, as do all the rest of the mortals. Yeah I’ll be a fall. Ah I didn’t say fall and be seriously injured I just said I hope you fall I hope you trip and like I need a bloody Knuckle or something I’m you know.

04:31.16
Nicole Warner
I hope you realize how good you’ve got it I hope you appreciate everything that you get to do? Ah yeah, that is pretty cool. We should circle back to this whole possibility of artificial intelligence though because I think there’s a lesson to be learned in Ai that.

04:33.33
podcomm
Sorry I’m sure he does. Yeah.

04:48.57
Nicole Warner
People have forgotten since the 80 s early 90 s have you seen the movie short circuit number 5 is alive. But what’s the catchphrase like the real catch phrase from that movie is it just runs programs.

04:52.13
podcomm
I have seen all the movies. Yes I have seen short circuit. Yeah.

05:02.94
podcomm
I ah.

05:06.74
Nicole Warner
Ah so a couple of years ago I went on vacation and I went to a a record store in Minneapolis it’s called electric fetus they still they still sell records. Yeah, do it.

05:12.67
podcomm
Um, where did you find a like I mean I know people they still make records but mostly as like wall ornaments. But okay so a record store I’m surprised.

05:25.42
Nicole Warner
Yeah, it’s big in the twin cities and they also had Dvds and I thought oh my gosh I remember going to the movie theater to see this movie and this is such a great movie because I remember the song um, who’s Johnny she said and smiled and look the other way because I love that song. It’s really wonderful. But then I rewatched the movie just a couple weeks ago and I was like this is the thing with Ai that was like oh my gosh. It’s the greatest newest best thing and we all have to do this and I think it just runs programs. It’s a computer that’s all it can ever. Do it just runs programs I think people also. Overestimate some of their possibilities I think the people who do ai. Ah.

06:02.66
podcomm
Um, the people are the Ais people overestimate their own possibilities.

06:10.16
Nicole Warner
Ah, yeah, because whatever, whatever you do whether? It’s a podcast or if it’s a business or if it’s making a movie or something. Ah, actually this is a really cool topic in a networking group that I did last year it was ah I said so you you have an idea for a business and you find out what people want and then you have to put a framework around it. So that it’s manageable for you because you’re the one who’s doing the thing all day every day and I work I work 5 work five and half days a week yeah you have to put a framework around it so you have to have some kind of a restriction.

06:34.47
podcomm
Amen Once more louder for those in the back.

06:46.40
Nicole Warner
And when you have 1 restriction. It’s really amazing what you can do with your possibilities I mean think of heat from the podcast workshop and and her sixty second practice of heats on a tangent. Awesome outstanding. Some of the best listening I’ve done this year ah

06:56.54
podcomm
Ah.

07:02.72
podcomm
People screwing around right? Well just press record the the idea of putting. Ah you know here’s ah I call them bookends or like you know here’s a boundary. Um I use that a lot sometimes I talk about it but quite often. It’s racing through my head. Um. Ah, use a metaphor of ice skating. Um, when trying to guide lead people on conversations and mostly it’s like yeah I’ll just bring the ice. You know it’s a pond. It’s frozen over I Check the ice. It’s safe. But other than than that I’m like yeah you bring ice skates and you know I’ll try to Follow. You know? Oh we’re doing figureskating. Oh we’re doing speedskating I don’t know we’re Doing. We’re playing hockey. You know, um and it’s not really about the parameters that I set or the boundaries or and I say let’s talk about like what suffering that comes to mind when I say the word movement.

07:48.29
Nicole Warner
Yeah, yeah.

07:55.78
podcomm
Like it’s it’s just the question you could be like that’s a dumb question I want to talk about Ai and we’re off you know like it. It really isn’t about the parameters that I set for the conversation or the project or the whole thing. It’s just um, the magic of people talking to each other I think but anyway what was what was the question I forgot what I wasstein.

08:10.16
Nicole Warner
Um, absolutely it just runs programs. It’s not a question. It just runs programs. Ah.

08:14.32
podcomm
Ah, possible.

08:20.93
podcomm
Which is kind of ironic because there’s software in the microphones and so I don’t know if there’s software in this mic. There’s definitely software in that mic that you have. But anyway um.

08:28.16
Nicole Warner
Um, yeah, yeah for sure absolutely was well I’ve got a question for you. What’s 1 possibility that you oh what.

08:35.30
podcomm
I was just like I was saying that worked well I was just letting the silence do the work. Go ahead. What’s 1 possible.

08:42.70
Nicole Warner
Um, what’s 1 possibility you’ve discovered in the last 7 to 10 days that surprised you.

08:49.74
podcomm
Possibility Loss some attendees that surprised me. Um, that’s hard. That’s a really good question.

09:03.99
Nicole Warner
Like what would could be even if it’s only an idea I think this is something that where a lot of people stop themselves and they get really stuck.

09:13.10
podcomm
Yeah I got an answer. Um so I keep like so I blog it’s a problem. Um, and I don’t know if it’s published yet I Just wrote a little blog post I was talking about what if my mission.

09:20.74
Nicole Warner
Ah, yes, you do ah.

09:30.63
podcomm
Because it is was to try to spread better conversation. You know to improve conversation generally to more compassion understanding. Okay, that’s my mission. Okay, well and what’s the next question I had this long list of questions and it’s like the first question is what if I try to improve the art of conversation. But then when you start looking at you’re like no the art of conversation is just fine like this has been going off on hundreds of years. Okay.

09:32.16
Nicole Warner
Um, yeah, yeah.

09:50.46
podcomm
What if I tried to improve other people’s conversation like well you know Physician heal thyself and I just kept going and going with this line of questioning like self-referential internal questioning and I came to the point It’s like what if I just had lots of really cool conversations with people and and I’m getting to the point now where it’s like.

09:57.87
Nicole Warner
Ah.

10:05.85
podcomm
Yeah I don’t have to do anything I want I to like write a book about conversation I don’t need to do more things to just like just go have the conversations and it’s like okay how many conversations could I actually have like well if Nicole is the 1 2 3 4 fifth one that I’ve had today. That’s been recorded as a podcast and I have.

10:20.91
Nicole Warner
Wow.

10:23.81
podcomm
I think I have 6 on friday if I’m limited solely by how many of them I’m willing to pack in using callendly software and I’m doing different projects at the same time. So not all of those are for this show like how many like does it eventually become throwaway at some point I’m here to tell you like.

10:32.96
Nicole Warner
Here.

10:40.48
podcomm
Whatever number I’m on today. No this is a very different conversation from Alaska that I just talked to you know in England we’re talking about jumping in parkor. Um, so I think for me the the possibility of like here I’m so meta even this acronym this show was.

10:43.11
Nicole Warner
Yeah.

10:55.90
podcomm
What’s the minimum viable podcast hat tip to David Doinski I think is where I first heard that and I just went well that would slow me down. We’re getting rid of that that would slow me down I’m getting rid that nails thought this 20 minutes of recording and now I’m going like okay well why does it have to just be 1 show what if it was you know a bunch of different shows like somebody just.

10:58.51
Nicole Warner
Yeah.

11:15.25
podcomm
Know half hour said well what if you did a show about and asking about a whole, no different topic and I went I don’t know anything about that topic but that would that stop me from doing a show about that. So the possibility of like how much can you rip away and still have a thing that looks like the thing you were trying to do. But that’s what comes to mind.

11:31.32
Nicole Warner
Wow, That’s really cool because because last night and I wrote this question. You can’t see my whiteboard from where you are yet. Ah and I thought okay so there’s there’s something about my business. That’s not quite right? It’s not. It’s not quite where it needs to be it needs to develop and change and grow. So and I thought well I don’t I don’t.

11:36.86
podcomm
I Know you’re looking at something.

11:51.23
Nicole Warner
Think in terms of size I could think of it in terms of color like right Now. It’s light blue and I would like it to be a deep red purple or like a really deep fuchsia or some kind of color like that. So and I thought well I’m just going to give it the word broad for now and this is where I’m going to start. So I’ve started over here on the map but there are some boundaries of course which I’ve already set up because of the business. What if my business isn’t broad enough what if and that’s a really powerful question and it’s and it’s a really nice one to ask yourself what if this what if that.

12:17.99
podcomm
Um.

12:27.77
Nicole Warner
Because so many people get stuck on Well this process has to be like this and this system has to be like this and then we got to do these tags in the back end of the website and then we have to do this with our contacts thatdada and it’s like well no, actually that’s that’s yeah and this this super hyper focus on things is what I see all the time now.

12:34.53
podcomm
Um, you’re like out in the weeds. What am I doing.

12:47.17
Nicole Warner
And I think it’s part of what Seth talks about with the race to the bottom. It’s like how we how can we simplify this to 1 1 word hashtag that we made up so we can copyright it i.

12:50.38
podcomm
Yeah.

12:57.22
podcomm
Um, yeah, optimize ourselves to oblivion right? right.

13:02.58
Nicole Warner
Yeah, but it’s no, it’s no longer optimization then right because it’s because it’s only a thing. It’s not a process. It’s not a. It’s not a a dynamic that includes other people like a conversation. It’s not it gets smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller and then there is no more possibility for optimization.

13:16.30
podcomm
Um, or growth or like creating anything cool or inspiring anybody or serving people or creating value or running that stuff.

13:21.11
Nicole Warner
Yeah.

13:25.96
Nicole Warner
It becomes sterile nobody wants that unless they’re having surgery. Um.

13:31.94
podcomm
Except I except when they’re taking my appendix out I would like stile please. Um, yes.

13:36.27
Nicole Warner
Oh yeah, definitely definitely. So there’s a high. There’s a time and a place for that. But everything else everything else we have and I think Seth just wrote about this the other day like taking the human out of things doesn’t work. It absolutely doesn’t work and I just got a new phone and it’s an Android and I was like who.

13:55.27
podcomm
Happy.

13:55.82
Nicole Warner
In the world thought that this was a good idea to put that function on the power button who you they were not thinking about the people they were thinking about how to get something in front of a person.

13:59.63
podcomm
This. There is a committee.

14:14.10
Nicole Warner
So then I had to I’m not joking I had to go online and look up how do I take feature x y z off of the power button and it was like a 5 step process.

14:21.40
podcomm
Um, just be happy. There was a process be happy. It wasn’t like Nope I run into that one a lot. Why can’t I Just Nope but anyway.

14:29.34
Nicole Warner
Um, yeah, just new. Yeah I don’t work that way are how can I say us how could this be something what if this were a thing.

14:41.98
podcomm
Um, yeah, that that the whole how do I say yes to this? How do I say no that the the Improv lesson of yes and yeah I think there’s like a spectrum and I’m moving as fast as I can. Over to the end of the spectrum where am I preemptive before you’ve even finished asking the question answer is no because I say yes to far too many things and and you wind Up. You know far too diluted and and that’s part of what I was thinking about when you Um, when you asked me about possibility I went. Oh.

15:05.26
Nicole Warner
Ah.

15:16.19
podcomm
Say notable, a lot of things that’s today is there something that I haven’t just out of hand said no to and I was thinking. Yeah the idea of well what if I just did a thousand conversations or 10000 conversations like you know what? what would it do to me? What would it do to Um, everybody you know each person who like you know. Your experience of the conversation is 1 thing. It’s like all right? Well as long as everybody coming away is like that was awesome as long as that’s still happening what would happen to me like asymptotically as I had conversation about the conversation. So who knows was there a thread here I think our thread so I mean like I have notes. It’s say possibility leave room for creativity.

15:50.78
Nicole Warner
Absolutely, but you have to set the boundaries too by saying no is really really really important and I can’t remember who it was but somebody I was talking to recently. It’s ah 1 of my clients calls this ah accordion time.

15:53.26
podcomm
Um.

16:07.56
Nicole Warner
Nobody really knows like is it stretched out or is it compacted. We have no idea anymore. So at some point in this accordion time somebody asked me about saying no this that or the other thing and I said I downloaded this pdf that’s like 25 different ways to say no without saying the word. No.

16:09.59
podcomm
Um.

16:23.81
podcomm
I Got over that that was a phase that I went through now I just go no and people go parameter This is like don’t care I’m a child of the muppets. Yeah.

16:39.70
Nicole Warner
Ah, no, thank You is also very nice or oh there’s.

16:42.72
podcomm
Ah I have thought of saying No thank you except I don’t see my problem is I don’t like the lie someone on I don’t actually but I actually don’t mean. Thank you I don’t I won’t say no thank you I Also don’t say I’m sorry well I’m absolutely sorry I do dial back The I do dial back The no and I hope that the door hits you on the way out I doal that back I tend just go.

16:53.91
Nicole Warner
Good.

17:01.65
podcomm
No, ah um, no, but and and also.

17:02.91
Nicole Warner
Ah, those those things do happen though and sometimes a nice. It’s a nice visualization like you click send on the email that says no and then you can just imagine the door going. Um.

17:16.32
podcomm
Ah, wonder if I can modify my email client to like show me a little anime image. The yeah, not possibility. Um.

17:22.98
Nicole Warner
Um, that possibility is not going to happen.

17:32.23
podcomm
Man um, so what. Um, so many and when Craig walks up and is like is his video frozen. It’s no, he’s just thinking. There’s just so many possible threads to pull on what is um, what’s a question that you see. Touted so like you you see people say you should use this quite What’s a question that you see people talking about in in terms of um, you know self-direction possibility like how do I figure out what my passion is like I’m not talking about ah an actual question in a podcast but what’s a question you see touted that you actually don’t think is useful.

18:03.73
Nicole Warner
M.

18:12.17
podcomm
Ah, give an example but doesn’t make sense.

18:13.88
Nicole Warner
Well, most of the questions I see or the like the the titles for things that come on the internet because it’s all just to get clicks and it’s not… It’s not genuine so whole lot of this is like. Can you talk to me about X Y Z because we want five best and I was like no you lost it. You lost the human element is that what is that what you mean.

18:33.32
podcomm
Um, um, yeah, that’s that’s kind of the thing I I was thinking along of the lines of like um pardon me. Um, yeah I had one but it’s a little trivial. You’re you’re.

18:42.00
Nicole Warner
Do you have an example? do you have an example or wait.

18:51.86
podcomm
Your your softball swing at the answer if it’s better than my example question I was just thinking you’ve clearly spent a lot of time I mean member remember I Always mean positive intent. You’ spent a lot of time thinking about opportunity and and.

19:01.94
Nicole Warner
Um, yeah.

19:07.95
podcomm
Closing off possibilities and when when would removing a barrier to expand possibilities when would that be good spent a lot of time thinking about that. So it seems like you would have had lots of opportunity to see people giving advice to others.

19:12.77
Nicole Warner
Him. Yep.

19:21.67
Nicole Warner
Um.

19:23.68
podcomm
And you’re like going. No no, no, no, no, no, that’s the wrong advice. That’s the wrong question. You should be You should be at you should be like rhetorically asking them or you should be see um is that different.

19:30.76
Nicole Warner
Oh yes, oh oh I totally no what means so a lot of people are like as oh you just have to like do the universe is telling you to do you just have to like look for some science and live your best life which makes me want to smack them. Because nobody ever says the real question. They never ask the real question. Well there are people who ask the real questions and you have to go look for them. You have to? Yeah, they’re rare. So so when you hear this question and they go well, what’s the next most. What’s the next best possibility. What’s 1 step that you could take in that direction.

19:51.40
podcomm
These people are rare right? yes.

20:06.48
Nicole Warner
What’s the one like what’s the 1 thing that you can do right now where you are with what you have yes because that you can actually do something about but you can’t just like sit there and meditate and be like oh my god I’m going to be a millionaire 5 years from now.

20:11.32
podcomm
Um, I’m reaching I’m reaching for a book.

20:22.76
podcomm
Well well you well you could, but but while they’re doing that some of us will be getting stuff done um millionaire So good is this backwards or forwards in the and I think this is a good book.

20:25.43
Nicole Warner
Because it’s not going to happen. Yeah, and then we become millionaires in many different ways. Not necessarily monetarily. It’s forwards. It’s perfect.

20:39.80
podcomm
Um, I’m purposely not saying the title of the book because I’m not recommend I mean the book is good but I’m not recommending the book I mean the people who do the book you can go get your own marketing. Um, this is the ah this was worth the the price of the book right? here. This is the dedication of the front to Maggie. This is how my brain works. You said all that and I thought of this. Appreciation for your commitment intelligence. Love and integrity that make what I do possible. This is the author writing you are a placeholder for all who give their talents and love in support of others your question who will do what by when changes the world.

21:14.56
Nicole Warner
Who will do what by when you know actually that makes a lot of sense because my brother told me that he never walks out of a work meeting unless he has the answers to the questions who what? when where why? how.

21:16.62
podcomm
That’s the entire dedication.

21:28.51
podcomm
Um, yep.

21:32.20
Nicole Warner
All the time and he coached one of his colleagues on it because the guy came out of all these meetings and he was totally overwhelmed and didn’t know and he said no who what? when where why? how you do not leave the meeting until you have those questions and if they don’t answer them you keep asking them and I thought well it’s brilliant. It’s because it is.

21:38.11
podcomm
Um, yeah. It cuts down the possibilities like I’m walking at the door and don’t want to do I get too many things like who what you like.

21:51.12
Nicole Warner
It’s a simple system and it’s effective. Um does it cut down the possibilities or does it cut down the things that don’t need to be possibilities. Yes.

21:58.67
podcomm
What right? it like trims away I’m standing in the giant field of grass and what what Blade am I supposed to pick like cut away all the stuff on so this that’s not me That’s not you This is me when what? yeah.

22:08.30
Nicole Warner
Well in that case I just say get a lot more. Ah, we got to get it all done at once.

22:14.52
podcomm
My lawower. No no, my lawmar is powered by Armstrong like when you push it the blades go around. It’s like yeah, it’s my oh my free gym membership.

22:20.59
Nicole Warner
Oh you have one of those that’s cool I believe you but they are getting more and more popular.

22:27.69
podcomm
Yeah, yeah, well I just did it because like I did I got sick a deal with gasoline in the in the’s the only thing I had that I more I’m like i’t need that. Um, yeah I like to my neighbors and the people who walk the neighborhood think I’m nuts. Well okay I’m nuts but they really think I’m nuts because I’m pushing the mower you know I’m a sweating and they go. Would you like to borrow my lawnmower and of course I know exactly what’s going on here and I look at them and I go why? just you know? Yes, that’s a good Simon Se yeah

22:51.94
Nicole Warner
Exactly that’s the question you should start with why or maybe that’s question number 2 like number 1 is what if ah, what? like if the idea comes from what if then you can move through. Ah, what can you do right now where you are with what you have. And then why like does it have the right purpose does it meet what you actually want to achieve why is a very powerful word.

23:18.70
podcomm
Yes, yes, cool hi. Well as much as I said before airbag ah which is not a derogatory comment to you that’s like I warn the guests the show’s over when the airbag goes off there. It is. We’re done Thanks! It was a pleasure. Thanks for taking the time to jump on the schedule and sit down and chat or stand up and chat I think you’re standing. Yeah, thank you for not sitting down. Yes, you could do anything you want I told you the beginning it’s your 20 minutes don’t be shy.

23:39.46
Nicole Warner
I am standing I really like my standing desk. Um, can I tell people where to find me. All right? So I’m Nicole Warner and I teach german as of horn language at german with http://nicole.comdanka. Ah.

23:59.11
podcomm
That out. Ah weider shame off, we saying sorry I don’t I don’t speak any german thanks Nicole bye.

24:01.80
Nicole Warner
Yeah, Avita scene say good. That’s right, You’re welcome. Thanks bye.