Transcript for "Possibilities - with David Nebinski"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:02.35
David Nebinski
Hey this is David Nabinsky great to be here. Thanks Craig.

00:05.75
podcomm
My pleasure. Thanks for showing up I always get nervous the last couple minutes countdown I’m like well I hope people show a love I hope people actually like me. Ah, but no meaning all seriousness. It’s ah, super awesome I run out of really nice adjectives. To get a chance to talk to you because a we’ve never that I can remember record have recorded anything and you were the coach I read a head coach I think Alex was still officially the head coach over you totally running it when I went through the third cohort I think you might have been head coaching it I can’t remember.

00:36.80
David Nebinski
I Don’t think that the head coach I think it was just a coach I don’t think there was yeah.

00:40.80
podcomm
Oh We didn’t have that. Oh We have a new layer now. But anyway you were basically the man. Um, and so it was super fun to like see how you were doing things both like as a coaching from the coaching point of view but also to see how you were doing things with your show and um I. Can’t listen to every episode but I do listen I have this cool way that I follow way too many podcasts. But I only actually load the rare episodes into my players I don’t feel like I’m getting swamped so we do a little pre-call and I basically said podcasting and you said opportunities.

01:16.19
David Nebinski
I said possibility.

01:16.43
podcomm
And I thought you might say you you said you’re right, you said possibilities I thought you might see opportunities. But I’m going to take credit for having guessed correctly Anyway, so what makes you say possibilities.

01:29.52
David Nebinski
Well first. Thanks I say possibility in the sense that you don’t know what’s going to happen. You don’t know if there’s going to be a chance to talk to somebody. Um, there’s a lot of times at least for my show I don’t know the people that I’ve get lucky to talk to them so I don’t know the exact numbers but there is a big emphasis on possibility right? You are. Trying to reach out to somebody to have a conversation and that space between an idea to then having an incredible conversation is full of possibility full of uncertainty full of potential.

02:15.59
podcomm

02:23.58
David Nebinski
Um, things that can just go different directions and so possibility to me means that there is from what I’ve seen it has been positive possibilities positive interactions, positive conversations. Positive. Forward motion and so when I think about podcasting then I don’t think about it as conversations I think it as possibility into something bigger, something better something magical something. Um you know. And so that’s why I when I think about like each week. It’s like okay here comes a new episode or here’s a new chance. It’s like but no, it’s more… It’s it’s another… It’s a new possibility.

03:15.00
podcomm
You have a couple of I’m going to say different projects so you have an email newsletter called 1 email away and quite honestly that’s literally ah like a little possibility lozenge that shows up in in people’s mailboxes like that’s like literally a vehicle for giving other people.

03:21.44
David Nebinski
Am.

03:34.18
podcomm
Access to those possibilities you have your podcast what number you actually on I know you’re beyond 175 mad props by the way 200 is in the another. My jinxing it? Um, so congrats on that huge milestone and you also.

03:39.69
David Nebinski
Yeah, one seventy six this morning.

03:52.81
podcomm
Coach like both for akimbo workshops and I seen your coach for man I think it was so you’re doing coaching and you also consult, but there’s a clear thread there like I said podcasting and you say possibilities. But really all of those different things seem to be about Possibilities. So. And I’m going to ask an actual question I swear my question is is there something special about podcasting that maybe reveals different kinds of possibilities or the possibilities feel somehow different just wondering if there’s something about that particular medium.

04:26.49
David Nebinski
um um I think podcasting is a different. Um, it’s a. Different type of connection different type of opportunity than it is hey let’s have a 30 minute conversation with a friend I think it brings ah a certain level of comfort. Ah, certain level of trust a certain level of um connection that is I think different than a lot of other things and so um, but yeah, the possibilities are are a lot of different ways where it can be. You know Ah you know have a great conversation. That’s it. Ah, or it could turn into a great conversation staying in touch and then you know six months or a year later work together. So I think that that’s really cool and the podcast for me akanwood have been really lucky and has led to additional possibilities. Um, or opportunities depending on how you wanted to talk about it. But um, ah I just think that um and maybe it’s me just trying to be optimistic but I do try to well I think that the 1 email away newsletter.

05:37.93
podcomm
Um.

05:56.89
David Nebinski
Started around the idea of a couple of different ideas. 1 was um, you know people get jobs or find work through people and not through online postings but yet that’s what you always see as online posting. So I think a job and an opportunity is always tied to a person. And so ah, if I can try to ah like fix that a little bit or help with that that feels like ah important and great and incredible work that I’m lucky to do. So also I think it was I wanted to create something a little bit special or a little bit different than just saying here’s this week’s episode with the newsletter so is a combination of wanting to try something trying to make the newsletter a little bit different than just a podcast newsletter but also knowing that. Like ah that the gap between or that how an introduction or how ah you know a referral how much that matters and if I could be a little bit of a spark to that. I would be lucky to do so.

07:09.24
podcomm
Um, I think there’s ah, there’s a clear passion that you have for I’m going to say doing the hard work like I don’t know I mean most people I think listen to this show. Podcasters So preach to the Choir. We all know like outreach is difficult and you have to just get in the routine is sending out the things and asking the questions and most people like I don’t know have if you ever reached out to somebody who didn’t have imposter syndrome yet like it seems like basically everybody goes Oh What do I talk to me for and so there’s this long uphill, it’s not a battle but it’s an uphill. Effort to set things up til you can get to the point where you can press record and I think that takes a certain kind of person to do it 176 times as I mentioned before congratulations and I think that that work one could go about that work and think I’m doing this work because I’m trying to create this thing. But it feels more like you’re going about the work because you feel that it’s changing the world like just having had that conversation and recorded that podcast that’s like your way of being the change that you want to see in the world and I’m I’m just wondering if you’ve thought about. Really dug into the why are you doing podcasting.

08:20.50
David Nebinski
Ah, well I think the I think podcasting has been super beneficial to me. It’s transformed me and so I’ve tried to just like keep doing it right? If it’s if it’s not. Ah, generally if it’s not broken and you’re still lucky and able to do it keep doing it. Um I think like it’s it’s created a bunch of different habits I think I’ve also got lucky to you know be a part of.

08:55.56
podcomm
Um, yeah.

08:55.68
David Nebinski
Podcasting communities and podcasting programs that ah you know box yourself in or support or celebrate in unique ways that I don’t think that I you know I wasn’t exposed to any of this when I started three years ago so I think once I saw the podcasting workshop the podcasting fellowship and was lucky to be a student I was like wow this is a whole anotherther new world that I hadn’t been exposed to so was lucky to stay involved in it for a little while afterwards and you know when you’re teaching coaching. Um, other podcasters. It’s probably a good idea to keep your podcast going then too. Ah, you know you don’t you don’t have to like I know that like you know the your your your athletic coach could be. You know, not in shape and that’s okay, too. But.

09:32.95
podcomm
Ah. Yeah, do the students really check on me. Yes.

09:47.86
David Nebinski
For me at least it was like Wow this is this would I can use this as a way to keep going and yeah.

09:53.43
podcomm
Um, the fire going is there something that um I’m um, like’s torn between I’m gonna go with my personal curiosity as opposed to like what’s the question that I think the listeners would like screw the listeners. Um, what do you do to keep. The the creative juices going like I don’t want to like poison the well by telling you what I do to keep the creative juice going but I’m just thinking people might not realize how much energy it really takes to like you know hole up in the space where you want to record and then. Spend a half hour editing or whatever like write write an email and then oh you know I got to do this thing again like there’s a whole bunch of work and and like where do you go to refill the well.

10:39.60
David Nebinski
Well, it’s all so goes back to that idea that I’m saying about like but kind of boxing yourself in. So if I have a newsletter that goes it every 2 weeks. You know there’s should be podcast episodes in that. So if I you know. Decide not to publish episodes or try to go after and try to record episodes then the newsletter doesn’t go out and then everything can fall apart. So um I think there’s a lot of things that I’m flexible in and there’s other things that I’m inflexible in. So I think for me so far. Try to be as consistent as possible and ah in terms of editing um sure it’s not easy I like deepening the learning I find it very relaxing. Meditative and and and fun and sure it’s not it is a long time and I’ve gotten better at not over editing and ah just to try to think about what’s good enough and I know that we’ve. Talked about or you know ah joked around about a minimum viable episode and things like that. But you know minimum viable is is different for everybody. Um, and so I think that there’s ways that I think I’ve talked about before that like you know, maybe my music could be improved or maybe my cover art could be improved, but.

11:57.20
podcomm
Right.

12:14.30
David Nebinski
Those are those are projects and I want to be careful about which different rabbit holes and which different projects to start and so in those some lot of those they need accountability or you need community for them. But um I think for me, it’s just like can I keep going each week and. So far I’ve been able to do that and I don’t know I like the I like the thrill of that sending out a cold email to someone or reconnecting with a friend that I hadn’t talked to a little while I like that I like that that that thrill.

12:49.27
podcomm
Have you thought about and I’m not suggesting you change your format but have you thought about creating other like there’s so many different ways like host on mic and fiction and there’s so many things you could make um. Do you find that other types of podcasting call to you or like I’m not going to say but you know you get bored is I know you’re not bored and there’s always more you can do in whatever 1 show that you’ve got going but I’m just wondering. What are the things like lurking in the back of your bag that you’re like and I’ve always wanted to try. You know a host on mic genre fiction or something.

13:24.89
David Nebinski
No I’m not that smart and not that creative I’m I I I ah.

13:33.80
podcomm
Objection your honor.

13:39.22
David Nebinski
I have experimented a couple different formats. So I have done a couple caught roundtable like episodes I have done so a couple host on mics I did do a you know, kind of ah a q and a episode a while back where people asked questions similar to Kimbo Podcast ah probably over the hundred and seventy five there’s probably like 20 to 25 around there give or take different episodes. Maybe a little bit less. Ah I also had. Done some I think interesting episodes which are taking kind of the themes from certain from different episodes and pulling out different clips from the different episodes and kind of curating a certain conversation on something like 1 email away.

14:29.76
podcomm
Um.

14:36.90
David Nebinski
Like so stories on how people were able to meet somebody new form a new over a direct message or an email that really kind of changed their trajectory or sparked a new relationship I think that that stuff’s really fascinating and so kind of putting that together in like 5 clips for an episode.

14:53.68
podcomm
Um.

14:55.70
David Nebinski
To try to like so hear back to back like oh that’s cool. Oh That’s cool. Oh That’s cool. That’s cool I’ve done that and then a couple other episodes that are like that So That’s been some of the more like experimental but to be honest, some of those are also out of ah are also Out. Of constraints Whether that’s I you know wasn’t able to reach out to somebody earlier. Schedules didn’t align and then it’s like oh here we go. What am I going to do this week and ah so that’s ah.

15:23.60
podcomm
Right.

15:34.97
David Nebinski
And so that process has been fun but in the beginning It’s definitely a fold with a little bit of ah yeah, yeah, but but then and then then there was I think it was like the first one I did that like that and people were like oh I Love those types of episodes and I was like oh those are that’s a thing.

15:43.19
podcomm
Trepidation. Yeah.

15:54.11
David Nebinski
And so I yeah I guess yeah I was like I guess Heather people do it I didn’t know that. But um, yeah mean I you know had an interview with my sister that was fun. You know so I think that there’s um.

15:56.38
podcomm
That’s the thing that my audience wants to hear. Well okay.

16:11.71
David Nebinski
You know, stay tuned. There might be some more called Experimental or I love in this another inside joke that we have but like being a free range podcaster I Love I Love how ah you know you want to keep you want to make promises and and keep them and be.

16:20.94
podcomm
Um, Frank. Ah.

16:30.80
David Nebinski
Um, you know focused on the change that you’re seeking to make um, but within that there’s a lot of different variety and flexibility and I think um I am glad after I experiment with some of those things but the the. Kind of the I don’t want to say the standard but the standard of 30 minute interview like it’s a format that works for a lot of different people so you know going back to before like a little bit of it if it ain’t broke. Um, fix it kind of thing. What? What about you? Craig I mean so you talked about how many episodes I’ve done but you know yeah.

17:08.75
podcomm
Yeah there I’ll I’ve got problems I’ve got issues this show. This show is meant to be a companion thing that goes with the podcaster community and. I went oh okay, well the only way this is going to work is if I don’t spend money on it and if it doesn’t have a lot of overhead. So I just went. What’s the simplest thing that could possibly work and I I own a professional copy of Hindenburg so I’ll just you know, spend an afternoon learning how to set do some presets and some quick editing and it takes me about 4 minutes from when. When we’re actually off the call to like do the download and get the thing out the door and the people that are listening to it. They’re podcasters. So yeah, of course they hear everything that’s wrong, but they also go oh that’s so cool I finally got to hear David dabinsky talk. So. In this show I’m totally with you of light it works I’m not messing with it. It’s 20 episodes in it’s just like it’s simple I lay it down and I love it and it’s it’s an excuse for me to get to talk to like if I didn’t put these out. And could somehow figure out how to still make people want to get on a call and pretend that we’re making a podcast I would still do the conversations like I just love having conversations with people. Um, but I do have other I have other podcasts I have mover mindset which is like super long form and super sporadic we produce because we interview in person and it’s like massively post-produced. Complicated but it’s only like an 103 or something and after 5 years because we go real slow. Um, and I have another one where I was like oh when Maria Zennadu like our mutual friend said let’s start doing 60 seconds I’m like I really feel like I should do that. But then I managed to like no I don’t need another toy. But then I later. Build whole podcast. It’s 519 episodes in with you know so little short quotes so I’m all over the road like with too many different things going on and um, on 1 hand if if I was driven by numbers I’d be freaking out I’d be like none but nobody cares. Nobody’s listening to this stuff and on the other hand I’m I’m like i. Really don’t care about the numbers because it’s just you know 15 people listen to an interview with somebody and then they you know they post a comment and I’m like that’s awesome like look you know like in movers mindset I I often say to the guests often in the recording I’ll say like the definition of success for 1 of the movers mindset episodes. Is if somebody out there listening here’s the guest and then when they meet the guest they can jump over the part of the conversation where they go oh my god love me what? well in your book and they they can can get to the cool part like 5 minutes later because then the conversation is better for the guest and that person like.

19:45.41
podcomm
I Somehow manage to like jump them over that but to me that’s I think that’s great like that’s what I want to accomplish I mean um I think so and I know it I know that it happens like I I know I’ve heard people I’ve like gone I’ve seen people. Yeah, so.

19:50.89
David Nebinski
That’s possibility to you.

19:55.27
David Nebinski
Yeah I bet. Yeah I just was curious if like that’s how that’s you know if you look at podcasting as possibility as well.

20:03.50
podcomm
Um I don’t know that I look at his possibility for me because and maybe it’s because I’m just I’m not maybe I’m not looking but I’m not actually looking for like additional work. But I don’t actually do like consulting for companies but like I’m not I’m not trying to to find my next gig in you know in the classic gig. Gig economy but it’s totally like like I’m I don’t want to jin about I’m doing ah a conversation for this show with somebody whose partner I interviewed for my other program like a year and a half ago and then afterwards we all went off for dinner and. There’s like 4 of us me the production assistant and then these 2 people and this other woman that I’m interviewing next I was like I got to figure out have a like should need to be on a podcast with me but I don’t have the show like you don’t fit in the project that I’m so so now I’m like.

20:48.47
David Nebinski
And.

20:54.66
podcomm
This is awesome. Awesome I Finally figured out where to slot this person in I haven’t said that to her yet. But I’m sure it’ll come up. So yeah in that sense I’m always and it’s kind of like all the time I’m always thinking like that person would make a good guest that person has a good story that person thinks they don’t have a story but people should hear about that. So.

20:57.63
David Nebinski
Since instance.

21:10.21
David Nebinski
M.

21:12.72
podcomm
I Guess I’m looking but I I think I’m looking for the possibilities that each guest could experience or that they could discover by me having them on some show. Maybe um and I.

21:25.26
David Nebinski
Yeah, that definitely happens I mean I’ve I’ve I’ve talked to people that um, it’s sometimes the possibility within themselves So they you know are happy to be guest on show because.

21:34.15
podcomm
Um.

21:42.31
David Nebinski
Somebody asks great questions and it helps them articulate thoughts and helps them craft their story and stuff like that. So the possibilities kind of work. A lot of different ways. So that’s kind of really cool and you just don’t know.

21:44.63
podcomm
Um, yeah.

21:52.99
podcomm
Um, yeah I’m down for drinking the possibilities tea. Well David I’m talking about formats this one’s aimed at 20 minutes so that’s about where we should call it. Um, thanks again I said it.

21:56.85
David Nebinski
Move. Cheers to that.

22:08.92
podcomm
Before we started recording I’ve already said it while we’re recording and I’m going to say it again. Thanks for taking a half hourur out of your day to sit down and chat with me. It’s always a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you.

22:14.98
David Nebinski
My ques Greg thanks for all that you’ve done with the show and so many other episodes that we were talking about but also for the incredible work that you’ve done within the podcasting community this one and then also the ones that we talked about previously the programs. The. Podcasting workshop and stuff too. So thanks again for all that you do Craig.

22:33.40
podcomm
My pleasure you’re welcome. Thank you so much for saying so all right see you David.

22:37.13
David Nebinski
By Craig.