Transcript for "Motivation - with Adam Greenberg"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.60
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. Our guest today is Adam Greenberg welcome Adam my pleasure

00:15.21
Adam Greenberg
Hi Kirk thanks for having me.

00:19.98
Craig
I had a chance to talk to you? Um I talked like ah to a lot of people but I had chance to talk to you. You asked a very interesting technical question. Um, so let’s let’s start on the tech stuff before we like fly off on tangents. You asked a question about creating. Ah. Podcasts so series of episodes you wanted to make a show but you had a need to I’m going to say hyper-localize it. You needed to do it or you wanted to do it in multiple languages. So. It’s the exact same content but in different language localizations. Ah, so the first question I’m going to start with is what was that project because that’s a very interesting like what’s that huge case.

00:59.43
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, sure, Thanks and I appreciate the help of yourself and the podcast or community in that question.

01:05.37
Craig
Did we actually solve I don’t think we actually solved the problem though I think the answer was yeah, that’s not easy.

01:10.34
Adam Greenberg
Well no, ah a lot of you did offer helpful suggestions. Um, and I think I did it’s somewhat resolved now so background. Ah I yeah right I So I have been ah and I will be.

01:19.84
Craig
Use case. Yeah.

01:27.00
Adam Greenberg
Continuing to be I was a peace corps volunteer in Zambia from 2018 to 2020 living in rural Zambia are working with small-s scale fish farmers. Um, but some of the work that peace corps volunteers do also revolves around H Iv Aids Education malaria outreach things related to health and so on. So we had this idea to create a podcast as a tool to help peace corps volunteers facilitate discussions with people who often live in rural areas who who do without much access to the internet. So this is a podcast called hiv positive voices and it’s it’s a way for to to help facilitate discussions and support groups for people who live with hiv and often. Local language and also speaking local languages right? So as peace corps volunteers it helps that we learn the local language but there’s a huge opportunity to reach people who can’t share their story because of geography or access to the internet. So on.

02:35.30
Craig
Um, so is any. Ah so people listening going wait. What is there is any of it in English or is it all entirely in.

02:42.24
Adam Greenberg
Good question. Sure so there’s an there’s an english feed and that was sort of the the question, the tech question that I I came to you with was that we wanted to make separate language feeds for each like different language. You know Zambia has 72 tribal languages the official.

02:57.56
Craig
Um, I ouch.

03:00.89
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, the official language is English because of colonization which is is helpful as a peace Corps volunteer but um, multiple languages and and then theoretically you know we can continue this and expand it to other countries that peace Corps Volunteers work in but create.

03:14.53
Craig
So the challenge to pack for unpack for people listening the challenge was does that mean I have to make 7 different podcast shows go to the Apple directory submit 7 different shows have 7 different for example, simple cast accounts that cost money or is there some way to. Create language the localized language per language feeds words language so keep going.

03:36.32
Adam Greenberg
Right? Yeah I mean basically that that was the question and and what I’ve come to so far is you know because this was ah it was only in 19 really that we you know we were only a few episodes in before Covid. Ah, force the evacuation of all peace Corps Volunteers Worldwide. So The project was really only getting started at the time so there are now multiple feeds of different languages but I but I started doing them myself which I can manage it. But Also you know other peace Corps volunteers are are joining in with me and so like it’s kind of hopefully a decentralized process in which anybody can record a track with their local ah support group that if somebody there wants to share their story and of course it could be anonymous or they can you know give their name.

04:14.97
Craig
Oh nice.

04:30.73
Adam Greenberg
And and talk because they’re talking about you know, very tough stuff. Um, but Pete the response people like that they the ones who have listened to it have been very grateful to hear these stories. So ah, other volunteers could help record.

04:49.16
Adam Greenberg
In the local language translate it into english and then other peace corps volunteers can take the english or you know anyone anywhere theoretically right? and then just record it in another local language so there could be multiple tracks. But yeah, right would it be seen in Apple Podcast or in search as like one show. Under the heading of hiv positive voices worldwide or would each one have to be like you know, kind of redundant and no.

05:14.20
Craig
Yeah, so did you did you come up with a solution. How did you do it like did you I mean the 1 the one way to do it would be like self-host it because then you can have as many individual Rss feeds. But then that’s just like the. Poor man’s way of making 27 shows but now what do you go to Apple with 27 Urls you got to go to the podcast in this got to go to Spotify I got it. So how’d you end up doing it. Um.

05:34.27
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, right? and you know what they pay us in the peace corps right? as a volunteer I’m a frugal guy I’m a frugal guy I’ve been making websites for years using. Ah you know I started with Aol hometown and geocities and then weebly and wordpress.

05:50.14
Craig
Oh.

05:54.18
Adam Greenberg
So like all those free methods This is self-hoted currently on my personal website as a subdomain and I did that in part because like I knew if I enthusiastically started this project when I’m not a peace Corps volunteer anymore or if it was tied to a certain domain.

06:09.34
Craig
Right.

06:11.64
Adam Greenberg
Ah, who’s paying for the hosting of this continuing on so like I I know that I’m going to keep my personal name you know going So like I could host it as a subdomain which is what I’ve done and yeah, but so exactly yeah how how many feeds can you have so I’m using http://wordpress.org And the is it the blueberry Plugin I haven’t burber something yet. Yeah, something like that. Yeah, your listeners know the one. Yeah right.

06:33.24
Craig
Yeah, it’s I always go boom because it’s missing vowels. It’s missing vowels. It’s a blue. It’s it’s it’s blueberry. But there’s vowels missing some humbleleberry. Yeah there’s a plugin for wordpress which bends wordpress is. Built in ability to generate an Rss feed for your posts and it adds all of the additional tagging that is expected if the Rss feed is supposed to describe a podcast There’s a couple of plugins that do that. So and I’m guessing. Bluebery lets you have multiple, they probably call them series unless you have multiple series and each series has a feed and then you can go to Apple with the one that’s in english and you can email like you can take that url and mail with to your friend and say go to your podcast player hit you know ad manually and paste in the Url which is really cool because then the peace corps volunteers out in the fields can add that. Hit all the downloads when they have wi-fi and then head out to wherever they’re going. Nice excellent solution. Um, but I always joke I’m going to make a little audio bumper for a turn signal. You know like just to indicate I’m about to turn left. Um.

07:31.80
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, that’s the vision.

07:44.20
Adam Greenberg
And ah sure.

07:46.87
Craig
When you and I were talking before we started recording because on a totally different topic. You mentioned that you have experience as ah, an editor a copy editor in book scope and you mentioned the excitement of creating writing recording podcasts. Versus going back and like listening to them or cleaning them up and I’m I’m wondering has that has you know that dichotomy that tension between those 2 has that held you up. Do you think as your own. Ah. Podcast creation. Are you making a show separate from the Hv positive show but you haven’t pushed the deploy button because you don’t want to edit it or like how does that tension between those 2 things play out in your podcasting journey.

08:30.32
Adam Greenberg
Sure Yeah I Think many of those things right? Um, So yes as you started with I’m an editor I I work with authors when I read I see typos in books everywhere right? So It comes very naturally to me to be a book editor. Um, ironically I’ve gotten really into audiobooks and listening to those quickly and so on so it’s that’s he yeah I Digress from editing but in regards to editing podcasts right? so.

08:58.50
Craig
I Think while you can’t you don’t hear the typos right? I mean maybe you kind of but you don’t see the punctuation errors. Ah.

09:07.83
Adam Greenberg
So with podcasts and other content. Yeah I’ve had the idea so my girlfriend and I have been traveling for. We lived abroad for 7 years practically before the peace corps or 5 years with it. So I mean I’ve had ideas for years but of regarding our travels. And we have video content and audio content that we’ve recorded and yeah, it’s it’s ahs for me in that regard the excitement of creating content and a moment. Oh ah, wait. This would be great. We should. We should share this you know and then it’s like well I don’t want to really go back and edit it or. Process of getting it off my phone onto my computer into a way that is organized. You know the whole process of editing that’s tripped me up and what I’ve noticed and what I’m realizing is with the h I v podcast doing that podcast for. The community for other people is motivation for me to like I knocked out those episodes in like you know the same afternoon because but but when it comes to telling my own story or my own ego of like making it about me.

10:16.25
Adam Greenberg
I Don’t really want that attention necessarily so like I like I know this would be interesting but I also like don’t care to make it about me. You know.

10:23.15
Craig
Um, maybe sounds like all that’s missing is a y you know a WHY question Mark like the thing that you’re going to say dancing around creating. Maybe it’s good that you’re dancing around creating it because if you had a clear reason to create it. It would pull you along like the project.

10:28.00
Adam Greenberg
Right.

10:42.75
Craig
You know that did get published that one pulled you right through. So maybe it’s just a matter of brainstorming on that.

10:47.50
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, and also I tend to have a lot I get a lot of ideas and I go off on a lot of different interests and and I’ve started many different small businesses and and side projects and so on so like you know, um maybe some people who what is it? ah.

11:07.25
Adam Greenberg
Sagitarious people like love to start projects but not necessarily finishing them as easily I don’t really know what all of them mean. But yeah.

11:07.38
Craig
Um I don’t know I’m a virgo I don’t either I just happen to based on my birthday I I think I’m right at the edge of virgo. But anyway sorry.

11:22.90
Adam Greenberg
Yeah I Know that’s so like I don’t know much more about the sides. Yeah, but yeah, you know that’s ah finding the motivation finding the why to to make these other podcasts or and even just logistically like. Questions of how do I organize these folders on my computer in a way that make me want to come back to this and and you know or having a computer enrich your Ram feels very slow when you open up Garageband So like yeah.

11:47.27
Craig
Yeah, yeah, hi. Yeah, yeah, there’s so many every in podcasting but in every other like write a book or create a video or start a Youtube channel. It’s just technology rabbit holes I mean it’s just. Ah, swiss cheese field of it’s all holes. There’s no cheese and have one of the just coin. The new thing. It’s all holes. There’s no cheese. That’s one of the things that I see and this isn’t just my observation but that I see a lot in the podcasting workshop is ah. Big part of what the coaches and the remarkables do is go. Don’t don’t don’t don’t go down there. You know, just just go around that well we’ll do that later like just go this way because otherwise you just it just beats you down of all these open questions and. I didn’t realize when I started podcasting which is before I got involved with the akim of course when I started podcasting I had no realization that it was going to be a creative endeavor I did I just didn’t sound stupid now that I say it but I was not expecting it and that creativity creative endeavors take tons of energy. So maybe there’s also some. Internal pushback that you’re giving yourself about you know as somebody who edits books and is like intimately aware of that process of creating a book. Maybe you’re going. Yeah I I know like what’s going to be involved if I’m going to create something out of all this raw material to be able to polish the diamonds.

13:23.16
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, yeah, and you know it’s also that there are you know ways in which I organize my editing. You know that can apply to podcasting so it’s not necessarily just like logistically how to do it. It’s yeah, it’s like well am I motivated to do this right now. Um, you you bring up an interesting point about coaches directing us towards like don’t go down that rabbit hole I mean Rabbit Holes I mean in the past I’ve gotten into cybersecurity Rabbit holes recently like I’m all about like password managers and so on and I’ve also went down the bitcoin Rabbit Hole. So like.

14:01.14
Adam Greenberg
I know about the importance of the opposite of rabbit holes which as you said is like focus and like there’s a book I did the altmba and I forget which book it was but it was talking. It was one of the books that the the Seth and the team send out before you begin the alt mba and ah. Talking about boundaries right? The importance of creating setting purposely setting smaller boundaries so that you work within a box because otherwise if the if it’s too broad you get lost. You know, swimming in the ether.

14:27.67
Craig
Yeah, well the the rabbit holes are also I guess I agree plus 2 the rabbit holes are also you know that you don’t know what’s in it. So it’s like yeah I could step right over that. But that one might be important. I mean I see 500 other ones in the field here but like is this the one I step over or is that the one that I step over and having somebody um who can provide some mentorship or some guidance and and say like you you can step over that one and you were like okay you know like did and I think that just having somebody that you trust to say. This is ah a battle you want to pick or this is a thing you want to go deep on which makes me wondered where do you go if anywhere hopefully not causing any existential dread here. Where do you go for mentorship or you know do you have a core group or is it your a partner or is it like What do you do when you’re like I got too many choices.

15:24.70
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, That’s a great question I would like more mentors I’m at a point in my life where I have realized yes I There are a lot of variables of my experience in which not many people have been in my position at my age. With my experience in the sense of like what’s next for me in my life. Um, you know I Yeah so I I could use some mentors I’m real I’m realizing that. Um. But I Also I do have I have friends and and people along the way that I also talk with and so on but like it’s a different kind of understanding about like what what when you have financial success things related to accountants right? and and and lawyers and or versus like things related to relationships and marriage.

16:14.69
Craig
Right.

16:21.98
Adam Greenberg
Or buying a house like stepping stones of career. Ah and life experience. And yeah, yeah I I’m in a nontraditional one myself.

16:43.87
Adam Greenberg
How did you come to podcasting.

16:44.23
Craig
Um, it didn’t intentionally deploy silence I was thinking but it’s cool. How did I come to podcasting. Um this story. No, it’s cool like I tell people for you encouraging and politically can push back asking own questions. How did I come to podcasting some people will know this story I’ll do it quickly.

16:50.72
Adam Greenberg
No I mean I don’t want to? yeah.

17:01.67
Craig
I started in 2011 the way I put it is I began a personal journey rediscovering movement. What happened was I had a friend who went you should come out and try this parkor thing that I’m doing and I went. What’s that looked at some I don’t even know if it was Youtube back and I looked at some videos.

17:18.93
Craig
Went anyway and started at 40 So it’s it’s an an out usually done outdoors. It’s a movement activity and I fell in love with it and wound up starting to travel because I was an adult when they’re all you know, hanging out with people half my age. Super fun, super great like changed who I was as a person is awesome.

17:20.92
Adam Greenberg
Cool.

17:32.84
Adam Greenberg
Um, yeah, good for you.

17:36.84
Craig
So having all these cool conversations sometimes with people have my age sometimes with the rare few people my age I started traveling went to some other countries eventually went and talked to the founders. All the people who started it hung out with them and the more conversations I started having the more people started standing behind me and at one point I was in an event in France and I was having a conversation with somebody and somebody behind me went.

17:56.84
Craig
Literally after 10 minutes we were walking from 1 place to another and the person behind me goes dude that should have been a podcast I would’ve listened to that because I was talking to 1 of the founders and I had not the guy that I was talking to I knew from elsewhere so it was just this.

18:10.19
Craig
Pleasant conversation. It wasn’t like an interview. It wasn’t like I wanted something from the guy he wasn’t trying to proselytize me. We were just talking and shortly after that in 2015 I started a project to try and share written content and I built a website and I was translating using Google translate and trying to share.

18:12.68
Adam Greenberg
Right.

18:30.10
Craig
And I realized Craig writing is hard people know that nobody wants to write I pissed off you know figuratively speaking I pissed off like 300 friends like begging them to answer my questions and write for me and some people did it and by 2017 somebody said dude, why don’t you just do Skype calls and this is before Zoom just do Skype calls and translate it. And I was like I mean transcribe it I was like oh all, right? So that’s like how the podcast started so the podcast. My first podcast started in early very early 2018 February something or other and I started recording conversations around parkor and I would talk to somebody who was a well-known athlete or who was from my local community. And we would just have these cool conversations and then I’d drive into New York City and have one there and it just became fun and I was literally just pressing record I had a buddy who would you know for a few bucks would do the final mixdown for me and I was just a a bozo with a recorder in 2 microphones and it just got out of hand just got out of hand.

19:21.70
Adam Greenberg
Yeah.

19:25.20
Craig
Got really good at the technology part of it. Um I discovered I apparently have a good voice for it and then I like know how to play to my strengths and off I went um I wound up taking yeah I wound up taking one of the akimbo courses one I already had a show that was like at 50 episodes and I went in and basically tore the show apart.

19:28.83
Adam Greenberg
Sure Yeah, good for you. That’s awesome.

19:41.60
Adam Greenberg
Right.

19:42.77
Craig
And rewrote the intro and like had a chance to hang out with 300 people rabbit about podcasting since then I’ve started 2 other shows and you know the the problem continues. So for me i.

19:50.57
Adam Greenberg
Yeah, that’s fun.

19:54.23
Craig
Back to into it I literally realized that it was easier to record a video call and then transcribe it to get what I wanted It was easier to have a conversation and then try to get the writing out of it and then afterwards I was like though that’s hard just save the thing. Um, so I’m.

20:05.52
Adam Greenberg
Right? I appreciate so much of that that as you said like just talking having a conversation making it natural like what you’re doing here right? You said you know you don’t edit this. You basically just put out the conversation as it is and.

20:15.45
Craig
Now.

20:23.30
Adam Greenberg
I Think that’s wonderful and maybe that’s something that I should explore more of because it’s yeah, it’s just yeah, yeah, well I appreciate I appreciate that insight sorry go ahead? yeah.

20:25.71
Craig
People make audio Journals There’s a whole bunch of options. Yeah, all right? Well the downside of you making me tell that story. The downside of you know it’s good. The downside is now out of time you made me talk but it’s all good. Um.

20:39.64
Adam Greenberg
Ah, well I didn’t mean to cut you off before. But.

20:46.53
Craig
I’m delighted to hear that your HIV Positive podcast got out in the world. I’m super excited to hear that that happened and I look forward to seeing what if anything you would create I think it would be cool to hear you just go do an audio book like you know, take what you know about podcasting and work on an audio book I think that would be cool, but. Thanks for taking the time to join me today. Adam.

21:05.76
Adam Greenberg
Thank you Craig I have appreciated talking with you and I appreciate the the technical considerations. It’s helpful.