Transcript for "Mindset - with Elizabeth Cunningham"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine hi it’s great I always say I’m out of adjectives. It’s awesome I love getting chance to talk to. Well first of all people that I haven’t talked to in 2 years so it’s great to see you um and we kind of actually know each other from.

00:00.81
Elizabeth Cunningham
And I am Elizabeth Cunningham

00:11.27
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yes.

00:17.92
podcomm
Podcasting circles but only because you got the chance to like hang out with us while we interviewed somebody else. Um, but anyway we do a little pre-call before this and we were talking about talking about like no tech skills your words, not mine.

00:22.15
Elizabeth Cunningham
A.

00:28.40
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, a.

00:34.70
podcomm
Um, and possibly on ramping like into what you’re trying to do to build a team to’ll like support you in your work. So when I said podcasting and you said no tech Why did you? But why is that such a thing that pops to mind for you.

00:39.36
Elizabeth Cunningham
A.

00:47.79
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, well because that’s the first thing that people say to me when I say something like oh I have a podcast they’re like oh I’ve always thought about that but I have like no tech experience and I’m like yeah me too. Ah.

01:01.30
podcomm
Um, and so what right.

01:06.80
Elizabeth Cunningham
Yeah, exactly and so I’m like yeah no me too I have 0 tech experience I know very very even after doing podcasting for what it’s been like 3 years now or something like that. Um I’m still I was joking. Yeah, before we recorded I’m just like this is a Usb right? like that’s what that is yeah like.

01:15.98
podcomm
Um.

01:22.88
podcomm
Um, yeah, don’t unplug it drink we’re using that right holding that Jack up is this that.

01:26.29
Elizabeth Cunningham
Yeah, yeah, right? exactly and it’s just like just like right like this. What happens everyone tell like I have people who tell me what to do and with tech they’re like plug this thing in here and push this button and do that and then I do it and then that’s how it works.

01:41.65
podcomm
Yes, well text a giant rabbit hole right? I mean because I’m I’m the other way I know too much about too many things and then I always I like want to understand why does it work How to and I’m like way often. The weeds messing with you know something and then people are like hey um.

01:45.73
Elizabeth Cunningham
Right? um.

01:59.73
podcomm
You got to put another episode out Craig oh sorry you know like a month goes by and I’m screwing around with Zoom or something. So I really think there’s a lot to be said for knowing how to not get distracted by shiny like the tech shiny stuff and the podcaster community is is.

01:59.89
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, a.

02:11.40
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um.

02:16.72
podcomm
And I have this is like an uphill battle I say it’s for people who are passionate about creating podcasts. It doesn’t say people who are successfully or currently creating podcasts. So I think there are too many people who who are like I have something I want to say or something I want to share or people I want to talk to but I don’t know where to start and I think it’s good to hear.

02:32.97
Elizabeth Cunningham
I.

02:36.16
podcomm
Like how do I spin this so it’s not a negative good to hear people who have no clue about tech say not only that they can do it but that you’re enjoying doing it and that you’ve been doing it for 3 years and how many episodes are you in. You’re not going to say 4 how many episodes are you in.

02:38.11
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, right.

02:47.39
Elizabeth Cunningham
Ah, well I stopped creating episodes for my last show. Um, ah a couple months ago and so I created episodes for that show for like a year and a half two years and we had 62 episodes yeah

03:03.41
podcomm
Um, the crowd goes wild congratulations I just want to point out that you know like 60 episodes in and still saying you don’t know anything about tech and people are probably pushing back and I’m like um, let’s just take Elizabeth that or word and and so does it.

03:06.30
Elizabeth Cunningham
Yeah, totally.

03:16.82
Elizabeth Cunningham
I mean I’ve learned stuff along the way. But you know I don’t know nothing right? Exactly I don’t know nothing but I’m still not like I wouldn’t say and and you can ask anybody who helps me with tech and just be like how much does Elizabeth know about tech and they’re like.

03:21.11
podcomm
Does it bother you or like you just be like yeah obviously you know which end of the mic to talk to her. But.

03:36.16
Elizabeth Cunningham
Enough to know what questions to ask me, but that’s really important that’s because that’s not where I started I started in like a I don’t even know what questions to ask like this is how I started doing a podcast I ah had the idea to do a podcast.

03:40.30
podcomm
Woo That’s an important point though like ah up.

03:47.59
podcomm
Um.

03:54.48
Elizabeth Cunningham
Because I was like this seems really low. Um, um like I did I thought about doing yeah it was just like yeah I was like low entry right? exactly. It’s just like all I have to do is talk into something that records my voice and then put it on a platform.

03:59.25
podcomm
Barrier to entry.

04:10.71
podcomm
Mission.

04:12.34
Elizabeth Cunningham
Right? Which is like basically like at at the very very very basic level. That’s what podcasting is talking into something that records your voice and then putting it on a platform that broadcasts and so I was like okay this seems like a really like low entry way to start.

04:21.54
podcomm
Exactly.

04:31.30
Elizabeth Cunningham
Doing what I want to do um and and I literally just put a um, a Facebook post I was like hey I’m gonna start a podcast I know nothing about how to start a podcast can anyone help me with that and like that.

04:47.80
podcomm
Moon.

04:49.73
Elizabeth Cunningham
That’s the Facebook post that I put out and then I and I also put like the topic that I wanted to talk about because I talk about love sex and relationships and so and I and I talk about um things that are a little bit taboo and so I also wanted I knew that I wanted help from people who. Um, we’re on board with that as well. You know and right and so so so that’s that’s like the the message that I put out there and then my friend messaged me and was like hey you should know my friend Sean.

05:09.14
podcomm
Oh you don’t want them. They get get halfway through the project and then realize what? yeah.

05:25.50
Elizabeth Cunningham
And Sean is like this audio guy and he helped me create like the first iteration of my podcast and like he like set me up with his equipment like it was amazing like he was like yeah just come over to your house and then you can use my equipment and then we can record a podcast and I was like awesome.

05:31.31
podcomm
Are.

05:44.50
Elizabeth Cunningham
And then he would just send me the files. So all I had to learn was um I used anchor as my platform and so all I had to learn was how to cut like you know things out that I maybe didn’t want on my show.

05:48.69
podcomm
Are you.

05:59.69
Elizabeth Cunningham
And so I did that like at the very beginning I actually cut things out and learned how to do that? Oh actually you know even before that I was over at my friend’s house my first 2 episodes I ever recorded were at my friend’s house with her microphone in her kitchen.

06:15.56
podcomm
M.

06:18.70
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, and then it switched to Sean I was like oh yeah, that’s where it started so it was really like I really at from the get-go I was just like who can help me do this who’s willing to help me kind of you know babystep this a little bit so first it was a friend of mine and then it was Sean. And he became like my podcast guy and I started talking about him on my podcast. Um and then um, the and then covid hit and ah.

06:38.64
podcomm
Um.

06:47.33
Elizabeth Cunningham
Given our you know given the circumstances Sean was like well I can’t come over to your house anymore. You know and have you use my equipment so I was like oh shit like I don’t know what to do now now I don’t know what to do again? Um, ah and then I was like well I guess we’ll put our the podcast on hold for right now.

06:57.30
podcomm
Um.

07:05.55
Elizabeth Cunningham
And then I got a call from one of my business mentors and he was like you absolutely can’t stop your podcast. It’s like that’s not acceptable like you have to keep going. This is a really important message and people are freaking out right now and like you still need to talk about like healthy relationships.

07:20.74
podcomm
Motion.

07:22.83
Elizabeth Cunningham
You know? and so he so he was really the one that was just like no you can’t stop. Ah yeah.

07:26.58
podcomm
Do you think you were aware. So I’m gonna say um, okay so the the real magical part there that I think too many people either don’t know how to do or they’re afraid to do the magical part of going I don’t know anybody want to help me with this or um.

07:39.34
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, you know.

07:42.22
podcomm
Don’t know hey do you want to try this on Tuesday at your kitchen or hey oh oh Sean you have you know like ah too many people are I don’t know if it’s fear or they don’t just don’t know they’re afraid to ask those questions. Um, and that’s clearly not I mean but also that’s your personality or not, you’re not gonna be like I’m gonna sit here and mope.

07:51.10
Elizabeth Cunningham
Totally.

07:59.54
podcomm
Were you aware of that at the time like so like if you’re going through those generations of like I tried this then then oh that became easy and then we tried this more complicated thing like there’s generations to what you’re describing there were you aware that that’s actually quite a special thing to be able to do to like go through those or is it just like that’s just that’s just Elizabeth.

08:06.31
Elizabeth Cunningham
Totally.

08:13.67
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, both a little bit like I ah I get my mom calls me out sometimes where she’s like Elizabeth people just don’t think like you like you have to realize that a lot of people just don’t think the way that you do um because I do I’m just like okay I have this problem and I’m going to solve it and I know that one of my strengths in solving problems is asking for help and because like and I’m I’m from um the midwest and so I’m from like smaller towns.

08:39.78
podcomm
M.

08:47.11
Elizabeth Cunningham
And that’s what you do and it’s like that’s kind of like the ah the strength of people from small towns. The strength of people from small towns is that you’re like oh you don’t know how to do something Well someone else probably does so just see right like let’s just see who knows about this you know and that’s and that’s where it starts is like.

08:50.60
podcomm
Whoo Good boy. Yes.

08:56.77
podcomm
I I’m in a community for a reason right? ah.

09:06.91
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, and I think that that’s ah like and that’s how I coach people as well is that I um, I’m like okay where can you start because if you don’t want to ask people for help. That’s fine like I get I totally get that I totally get like the not wanting to ask for help thing. Um, but like. How about start with let’s just see who else knows about this like who else has information about this. You know that you might not have um and so that’s why I love you know, like just asking just like put out the Facebook post like who else knows about this, please give me information you know and also doing research on your own as well.

09:30.00
podcomm
Definite.

09:41.41
podcomm
There.

09:45.75
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, but it seems to in my experience work a lot better when you’re just like hey who else knows about this and then people do like really want to share like their knowledge. Yeah.

09:55.62
podcomm
Um, yes I was going to say the? um so many threads so many things to pull on a lot of people that I talk to they don’t realize just how excited the person that you ask the question of will get so like.

10:01.82
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yeah.

10:09.69
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yeah.

10:14.10
podcomm
I’m not asking everybody even the son of my voice to you know, simulate your tech problems. However, if you ask somebody who’s really into podcasting but who doesn’t get to do a lot of it about microphones. They’re going to be like oh I would love to talk about microphones or or whatever you ask them? They’d be like yes please I want to talk about that for an hour especially if it’s you know, fun or we have a meal or we get a chance.

10:25.19
Elizabeth Cunningham
Right.

10:33.00
podcomm
But I’ve been locked in my house for six months so I I think we don’t we don’t realize oh wait I realize you seem to realize but I think too many people don’t realize how much of a gift. It is to ask somebody else a well-formed question.

10:45.72
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, ah drew me.

10:48.99
podcomm
But and and to ask this is to show interest in something that they have knowledge about and what I’m thinking now is we had in the precall. We had also talked about you’re starting to create a team and and we didn’t I try to to dig too far into things because I like I like it to come up spontaneously and I’m wondering.

11:01.97
Elizabeth Cunningham
Totally.

11:06.10
podcomm
Ah, now that you’re trying to work on helping you know, getting people to help you on a more like coherent team type of arrangement. Do you see that as like an easier way to ask questions like I’ll just bring the people closer or or do you feel like there’s something else that you would get from having those people.

11:10.31
Elizabeth Cunningham
And then.

11:24.28
podcomm
You know, be more chefs in the kitchen type of thing.

11:26.60
Elizabeth Cunningham
Okay, so your question is you know? do you see that as ad do you see that as advantageous to have more voices or do you see it as like muddled to have more voices. That’s that’s what I heard.

11:29.40
podcomm
Really convoluted. Yeah.

11:39.12
podcomm
Um, but that’s a good question too. Ah, but that’s actually maybe that’s actually a better question but the question I was asking was do you see the oh I keep asking this person and they keep helping me So why don’t I just make it a little more convenient for us to work together as a team you know like you’re making it easier.

11:43.69
Elizabeth Cunningham
Yeah.

11:54.28
Elizabeth Cunningham
Got it.

11:57.19
podcomm
Or see because I think the piece that everybody else doesn’t realize but I think you know is when you make a team. There’s more than just being able to ask them for things suddenly there’s There’s all this synergy that happens where you get excited about something negative by suddenly you riff off each other some things and all of a sudden a better thing that you could never have imagined gets created um but.

12:09.42
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yeah, totally I mean to say.

12:16.53
podcomm
I’m also notorious for just rambling and then putting a question mark at the end. Ah do with what you will.

12:26.90
Elizabeth Cunningham
This thing and I hope you respond to it. Ah I love it I Love it. Um, no I Okay so this is I think my situation is slightly nuanced so this is what happened ah is that.

12:26.37
podcomm
Um, yeah, almost like we’re just talking. Yes, it’s not meant to be an interview ah man.

12:42.76
Elizabeth Cunningham
So halfway through covid I got connected to Dave um Dave was my podcast guy for a while and at that point I was making I had I had started making enough money that I could I could actually pay someone because Sean and I were working together just.

12:55.26
podcomm
Um.

12:59.32
Elizabeth Cunningham
You know he was just helping me out like from the kindness of Sean’s heart he was helping me out. Um, and then I started making enough money I could pay someone so I hired Dave um, oh because the the part of that that we missed was that when my mentor was like you have to keep doing this I called Sean and I was like hey.

13:00.81
podcomm
Okay.

13:18.12
Elizabeth Cunningham
What can I do now that I can’t use your equipment and he said just use Zoom you know he’s like that’s like that’s the easiest thing for you to do just use Zoom and so I’d been doing that and I’d been learning how to convert you know the files the audio files from Zoom into the thing which is actually like fairly easy. Um, ah like.

13:32.71
podcomm
Yep yep.

13:37.29
Elizabeth Cunningham
The other thing about like not being a tech person is that in your mind you’re like I think that this is going to be way harder and more complicated and then you actually do it and generally it’s not more complicated but it is in my experience more time consuming like I.

13:53.63
podcomm
That’s a good observation.

13:54.17
Elizabeth Cunningham
It always takes way more time than I think that it’s going to which you know enter Dave because I was like I can’t you know I can’t write I was like I can’t spend you know a whole day like editing my podcast and like doing this stuff and blah blah blah and whatever and so I was like I need some help.

14:00.90
podcomm
Bro Oh too much.

14:13.91
Elizabeth Cunningham
So my friend hooked me up with Dave and then um, like from there I really saw with my business and with so I’m a love coach right? So I coach people and love sex and relationships and my. Podcast is called um, love tripping from the walls which I love I’m just like I love that name I’m like love dripping from the walls. It’s just ah, it’s so delicious. Um, ah and and it also anyway, that’s just like.

14:34.46
podcomm
It’s a great name. Yes.

14:44.60
Elizabeth Cunningham
Different tangent different tangent for different day about the name of my podcast.

14:44.97
podcomm
Yeah I think it’s a brilliant way to take the things that you learn and share them from the consulting and coaching that you do and share those out for a broader audience but let’s not go down that That’s a great whole nother story. Let’s not go there. But.

14:52.81
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, hold hold another story hold on star like so what I yeah what I really saw with what the direction that the podcast was going is that I kind of wanted to do a stop change start.

15:02.60
podcomm
Another episode.

15:12.13
Elizabeth Cunningham
And I wanted to really switch into more of like Youtube and podcasting at the same time and so then I had another idea for a different show and we actually so Dave and then also my friend skye and then ah if you if you listen to my last.

15:16.57
podcomm
Um.

15:30.87
Elizabeth Cunningham
Season of love dripping from the walls. You’ll also know Jamie so all 4 of us started working on this new show idea which then never actually happened. Um, but like. It it was it was like that synergy of everything and it was like oh this is going to be so great and then and then it didn’t end up happening didn’t ah end up working out for several different reasons. But um, but it was really cool to kind of get that energy and then I got reached out to by an actual network.

16:01.83
podcomm
Um.

16:03.30
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, and we’re actually create I’m like I’m not not even sure like how much I’m allowed to even say about it because it’s not even it’s like in the works right now. Um, right.

16:09.62
podcomm
Well then don’t get in trouble. Don’t say it because I’m not editing.

16:15.80
Elizabeth Cunningham
But anyway so I have this new project that I’m working on with like an actual network and so like team of people. So when I say like my my story’s a little bit. You know nuanced is like I’ve been kind of you know flowing through these different iterations and some of it I’ve actually.

16:20.66
podcomm
Um.

16:30.99
podcomm
Absolutely.

16:34.44
Elizabeth Cunningham
You know I’ve absolutely like um been the one who’s like the spearhead of it and then with this new thing. It’s like this was an idea that was brought to me and they were like hey do you want to do it and I was like absolutely yes, like this is I was meaning to do something like this and then it kind of fell through so this is actually perfect.

16:38.10
podcomm
Um.

16:43.93
podcomm
Ram.

16:52.28
podcomm
Yeah, and you could never imagine those opportunities you know, like okay rewind back to Facebook posts can anybody help me do a podcast. Yeah I mean you might have be thinking wow! What’d be great if it this was on you know, hosted by law run by this or funded and but but to just start with that first step what it’s that chinese.

16:54.40
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um.

17:04.10
Elizabeth Cunningham
Sure.

17:12.25
podcomm
If there’s some place you need to be. You need to start walking you know like just don’t worry about how far it. It’s just journey with thousand steps still take one step. Um, so I think the whole story you’re explaining exemplifies that and it also shows not to be mean you don’t even have to know where you’re going. You can you can just be like not wandering aimlessly. But I’m here.

17:12.82
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, right one step at a time. That’s it.

17:24.25
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yeah, yeah, um.

17:30.57
podcomm
That looks interesting. Let’s go over there and and with the second show idea that you had that didn’t that didn’t flesh out. Yeah, this looks interesting. Oh but it didn’t work all right? Well, where should I go off mirror I’ll go like I think that’s ah the spectacularly brilliant way to approach all of life. Not just the next podcast idea.

17:45.38
Elizabeth Cunningham
Um, yeah I Absolutely agree with you.

17:50.21
podcomm
Ah, ah, have you have you done anything talking to other podcasters have you so or Rewri a little bit have you encountered other podcasters who don’t have this let’s call this the you know, simple questions process. Have you encountered other podcasters who don’t think that way and like seen others struggle.

18:14.42
Elizabeth Cunningham
um live let’s see ah um I think with people who I think with people who. Are kind of like that I’m just gonna take one foot in front of the other I have a couple thoughts about that. Um, because I think there’s a couple things at play. 1 thing is like your mindset and it’s just like I am definitely someone who’s like. Welllp just one foot in front of the other all right that didn’t work all right? What’s the next thing you know I’m definitely like a what’s next What’s next What’s next person for sure. Um, and so and I also and this is kind of prevalent to share is that two years ago I did one of those like a.

18:46.87
podcomm
Oh.

19:02.65
Elizabeth Cunningham
You know, end of year exercises where it’s like you know you write out like it was the end of 28 or no, it was end of 2019 beginning of 2020 and I did the exercise of like you know, um, did I have any regrets this year like what worked this year and what did I regret this year

19:05.31
podcomm
Ah, twenty Nineteen mm

19:22.44
Elizabeth Cunningham
And so in my list of what worked was literally every single thing that I had taken action on regardless of whether or not it had worked out. It was like I was always happier that I had taken the action than not.

19:29.54
podcomm
Um.

19:36.17
Elizabeth Cunningham
And then literally everything on my list of regrets was like all the ideas that I had that I didn’t do anything about and it was like it was just this really poignant moment of like putting that adage like actually viscerally in my body of like.

19:41.68
podcomm
Um.

19:53.61
Elizabeth Cunningham
You’ll never regret the things that you take action on it was like oh my god that’s absolutely true and so it was literally from that point on and that was like in the middle of doing my podcast right? and that was like right before 2020 and so then that kind of became my battle cry.

19:56.63
podcomm
Be true.

20:10.50
Elizabeth Cunningham
Was just like well I’m never going to regret something if I take action on it and so then I just started going from there so it was like you know that things just kind of started to fall into place and so I think that for people who are you know either. Starting a podcast or struggling starting a podcast um, that either 1 you’ve just got a mindset block which is you know, not a problem. It’s just something that you can take action on now. Um and two that it also might just be that it’s not for you. Like that’s what I found in my life is that if I’m really struggling to get a project complete or even start a project sometimes that’s just an indication of this isn’t the thing that I should be doing. Yeah.

20:56.88
podcomm
Yeah, that’s a good point.

21:01.72
Elizabeth Cunningham
So it’s just like what why are you doing what you’re doing like why do you want to start a podcast. What is the purpose of that and if you’re struggling actually doing the podcast is there some other way that you can get your why out there you know is there a different platform like are you.

21:13.46
podcomm
Um.

21:18.40
Elizabeth Cunningham
Do you like writing blogs. You know, do you like doing Youtube videos or you do love instagram you know like in our current age. There’s so many ways there’s literally so many mediums if like if you’re stuck and stopped at podcast. Don’t let it stop. You just use something else.

21:18.36
podcomm
M.

21:24.52
podcomm
Um, yeah, so many mediums.

21:35.74
podcomm
Um.

21:37.19
Elizabeth Cunningham
Like what is your why? like why are you doing you know because I’m I’m doing this because I’m like I want to talk about the taboo things around relationships and sex and love and like I want to? That’s my message and that’s why I want to like make a normal conversation and so it’s like when I. Look at it from that way I’m just like okay well podcasts are great because I just love talking. Um, and so that so that really syncs Up. You know? Yeah, it totally just works for me, but you know but you know I’ve started using like I said I have this show that’s going to be coming.

22:00.38
podcomm
Um, yeah, that medium works for you right.

22:14.96
podcomm
Um.

22:15.45
Elizabeth Cunningham
Coming soon is my new show. Um, and and I’ve started using Instagram a lot more but it’s just like but just start at one start start at 1 place and get really good at that and then move on to the next thing. Yeah.

22:27.67
podcomm
And then move on to the next thing that’s brilliant life advice but brilliant. Um I think that’s a good place to stop right? there I’m.

22:33.44
Elizabeth Cunningham
Hey, this is what I do for a living. Ah Oh. Um.

22:43.65
podcomm
But’s going to say well ask you for a question to challenge people. But you you like you did all the things so I have nothing left to add I’ll just be the host with nothing. Um Elizabeth. It’s always a delight the next time I’m on the west coast best coast left coast. However, we want to put it definitely have to get together again. It’s always a pleasure.

22:51.83
Elizabeth Cunningham
Ah.

22:59.94
Elizabeth Cunningham
As Craig you’re amazing. Thank you.

23:02.11
podcomm
Um, so have a great rest of your morning. Thanks.