Transcript for "Leadership - with Anette Carlisle"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine hi int welcome to the show I often joke it’s a street race just goes like 0 to sixty doesn’t have airbags. There’s no doors I don’t know if it has breakkes. Um, we duled a bit of chatting in the precall and first of all.

00:01.32
AnetteCarlisle
And I’m Annette Carlyle

00:10.60
AnetteCarlisle
Sounds fun.

00:19.10
podcomm
Mad props congratulations on reaching. Basically you’re at 100 um which is super super awesome. By the time you know one hundred’s a nice round number and everybody always says do a retrospective and I think most podcasters don’t want to sit back and go here’s what I’ve learned for doing a hundred episodes but it is a milestone that.

00:20.99
AnetteCarlisle
Close.

00:38.38
podcomm
Few people reach. Um and I suspect you’re probably already looking forward like wow what would 200 be like so I think the place to go today is to talk about how your podcast um and I’m hypothesizing how your podcast has been. A source of energy for you. So the last year and a half has just been crazy for everybody and I think from what I understand you’ve been continuing in your podcast journey you haven’t slowed down at all. In fact, I think maybe there’s been like for you an increase in focus and you have a very. You have a give a goal like your podcast has a stated purpose like my other this podcast they’re just like it’s Craig talking to people whereas you have a goal so I’m just wondering you know, looking back from 100 and like looking at what you’ve accomplished. You know in the last year and a half of chaos. Um, what about. What about your podcast has surprised you in terms of like working toward that goal.

01:36.82
AnetteCarlisle
Well I used to travel a lot and I would do a lot of my interviews you know on on site were you know in Austin or wherever I was so that quit as of last march but it’s really It’s been kind of nice to have the podcast to focus on and to work on during ah covid crisis. It’s been a way to share some really relevant information around the issues happening right now you know not just in Texas or Amarillo. But. You know across the nation when it was important to do that. Of course there was a good reason to not do that so people could have other things to listen to. But of course my most popular podcast is the one with my husband.

02:22.72
podcomm
Right.

02:29.67
AnetteCarlisle
Who’s an infectious disease doctor talking about the history of pandemics. So go figure I’m Annette Mine is annette on education. But so I’m educating folks about pandemics during a pandemic. So.

02:32.36
podcomm
Um.

02:40.61
podcomm
So Do you find? Um, do you find that it’s become a labor of love or has it become a bit of a slog or. At any point did it was there a fear of it becoming you know the the stone around your neck the podcast itself I mean.

02:57.88
AnetteCarlisle
If you’d seen my husband talking about how excited I was when I first got started podcasting I think you would know the answer to that He just said I haven’t seen you this excited in a long time about something new.

03:10.90
podcomm
M.

03:14.80
AnetteCarlisle
And so it has been exciting. It can be a slog because I’ve committed to doing 100 weekly podcasts in the summer I decided nobody really wanted to listen to a deep discussion on school finance or education or politics. Although maybe we need to be in Texas right now. So I kind of moved in the summer to something just called summer shorts and I do just kind of whatever I’ve done some re releaseses so when things get a little too heavy I’ve leaned back and just said hey I’m going to make it work. Whatever I will pick it back up. You know after a hundred and I may not do weekly I haven’t decided that yet. But.

03:59.98
podcomm
Are you a kind of person who who like sets really really hard goals for yourself. I had a friend once say and I forget the exact word but it was something like it takes a really special person to set an actual goal that you can’t achieve and. First I was like what do you mean? I can set crazy goals. But if the goal is really Crazy. You don’t really try and what he meant was to really set a stretch goal that’s going to push you and I’m guessing You’re the kind of person who sets those really difficult but not, you know, patently insane. Challenges and goals and I’m just wondering has the podcast maybe helped you learn how to like reel the goals back in a little bit or be more mindful of like what you’re trying to trying to set yourself as a challenge.

04:46.16
AnetteCarlisle
Well I’m an evolutionary biologist. So I believe in adapt you know, adjust and adapt. Ah so if I need to you know Swivel and do something else for a little bit like the summer shorts I’m flexible enough to do that. But yes i’m.

04:53.90
podcomm
Hormesis for the win right? yeah.

05:05.97
AnetteCarlisle
Um, pretty good at setting significant goals and trying to achieve them and you know I’m still working on them.

05:13.79
podcomm
Is there anything that you think you did wrong in your podcast that you’re like yeah but something that you would have like there’s no way to go over like not a rabbit hole but like I had to do that I had to learn the lesson and then I decided that that’s not where I want to go.

05:29.78
AnetteCarlisle
Well no I think I’ve stuck pretty true. In fact, I recently did a re-release of my trailer with a little bit of of intro to it just talking about how I I didn’t know what I was doing back then you were one of the coaches or all stars or whatever. In in the podcasting fellowship four that I was in and I I was originally gonna do a podcast with a friend of mine. He’s been on some of my podcasts helped me do a few of them but he couldn’t do it at the time so we ended up I just ended up shifting to who I am and it’s. And on education because that’s been my background that’s been my focus a lot and so I really just told the stories of the things we’ve done in our community I’ve interviewed the folks that I’ve gotten to know over the twenty five plus years as an elected official in Texas and it’s really. You know I kind of got I hit the nail on the head with that trailer when I go back and listen to it because it’s all those things put together including politics unfortunately and it’s not gone viral or anything like that and I do want to stir up and make a ruckus. Ah, Seth would say a little bit more so that’s where I’m hoping to go.

06:53.49
podcomm
So many I think of so many questions and I’m like yeah, but which is the best 1 um, if I think most people who listen? Ah, no, my mom doesn’t even listen to this. But. Think people who listen to this particular show because it’s a companion. It’s meant to go with the community for podcasters. Everybody who’s listening this is like talking about street racing with a bunch of people who work on their cars all weekend and there are so many things that we’ve all like. Everybody’s been there done that for everything like you and I had a tech problem at the beginning of this call and we’re both like okay we’re back. You know like press press record like it’s just but whatever you know or like gear fails things go wrong guests. Don’t show up I Don I mean you but like the regular people that we try to bring regular guests. They don’t show up but they they’re nervous or they have imposerous syndrome.

07:28.62
AnetteCarlisle
Yeah.

07:35.26
AnetteCarlisle
Yeah.

07:42.16
podcomm
And there’s just so many things that we’ve all seen that it kind of becomes a challenge to figure out like okay if you want to talk to other podcasters Annette. What do you want to ask them like you know we’re on this show like what is something that you want to ask me doesn’t be me but I’m the only person in the room but like what do you want to ask. Everybody else.

08:03.14
AnetteCarlisle
I hope you’ve gotten as much out of podcasting as I have and you know I just I just want to share how important and meaningful. It’s been to me to share my friends. My knowledge my friends’ knowledge ah and just. Journey over the work. We’ve done in our community and the state and beyond with others because podcasting is a wonderful format to share information to share how Tos I didn’t. Really think I wanted to do a podcast I thought I wanted to do more of a video series because I do a lot of graphs and you know all that. But I really think that would have fallen on deaf ears more and this has been a way to have just conversations about the issues.

08:39.19
podcomm
M.

08:52.58
AnetteCarlisle
Without stuff and data down people’s throats like I usually do so.

08:56.16
podcomm
I wonder how much of ah trying to find a nice way to say your drive to be detailed and thorough I’m wondering how much of that so that you like you just said that has to you have to tamp that down because that doesn’t really work in an audio medium and I’m wondering. If that made you better at conveying your your message or your story or reaching your goal because it’s like having your like 1 hand tie behind your back. You’re like well I got to learn how to drive with 1 hand because you can’t do the thing that you were normally used to doing or the thing that you thought was the best way to do it. So I’m just wondering. Have you noticed any difference in other things that you do like all right I’ve now mastered gmming it through this suboptimal medium in terms of data and detail.

09:41.54
AnetteCarlisle
Yeah, Well I I’ve run for public office at the state level and part of the training I did there and in some other work I’ve done is really honing your message and and I’ve really tried to pull that into my work even when I was doing. You know, a lot of data dumps on people I Would you know pick out 2 or 3 things and say these are the things we really need to focus on and how do we move the needle on these but podcasting certainly made me do that even more. It’s like okay I can’t I mean I could put it in the show notes. Whatever. But.

10:17.22
podcomm
Right.

10:19.73
AnetteCarlisle
How many people actually go and find that and maybe some but not everybody listening. So so it’s really made me you know, tell the story more than show the numbers.

10:31.93
podcomm
Um, do you have any I was gonna say do you have any urge to to me. It’s like being a kidney candy star right? So like I start I start working on a project and it it takes so many episodes and so many hours to even figure out what the thing is actually. Gonna be and then it’s kind of like you get it up on a plane. You’re like well this says really cool I’m having a ton of fun but then the kid in the candy store goes oo I l two has gummy bears you know and like I want to just like this is awesome, but like just just jump away from it and run to something completely different. It’s still a podcast and and that’s kind of what I’m doing because this is like the fifth different show that I have. But I’m I’m wondering have you have you had the urge to just now I know how to do this I’m I’m going to go do anne nette on quilting or something completely different. Oh I didn’t mean to try and get the scoop. Ah.

11:18.36
AnetteCarlisle
Ah, yes, and stay tuned. Ah no, but I mean absolutely I mean several projects are in mind and in the works. So we’ll see where they go.

11:28.97
podcomm
Um, do you have do you have trouble explaining it to people like if you is it I think projects raise better if there’s at least somebody you know to talk about it and I find that it’s rare that I can find someone that I can be like oh my god in this school like. Go rabbit hole deep bonkers about the project. Do you have trouble like I call it the crazy version of Craig I have trouble keeping the crazy version of Craig and like under the hat I just start they ask me how’s the podcast and they don’t have any expectation of the fire hose they’re about to get? do you have trouble like reining in your passion for podcasting or or is it something that’s.

12:05.90
AnetteCarlisle
Well, it’s it’s sharing information. It’s not through podcasting so I have some friends who’ve shot whose job has been to hold me back from basically hurting myself by doing too many crazy things and ah.

12:07.15
podcomm
Compartmentalized.

12:20.64
podcomm
Um.

12:24.57
AnetteCarlisle
And in your case you know that’s projects and your parkor but but in my case, it’s more Okay, you got to slow down and up people people don’t can’t take in the fire hose as you say so ah and and but it’s fun. It’s exciting to have the projects and to have.

12:27.48
podcomm
Yeah.

12:44.55
AnetteCarlisle
Vision for more projects ahead. I mean what? what else would you? I mean I don’t want to just be static and and not keep learning and and sharing the information that I think is important and relevant because part of my job is to connect people and organizations and such. And part of it’s to to to make an you know to influence others to influence. The folks who are making decisions at higher levels than in my pod cave right here. So.

13:15.40
podcomm
Um, yeah I was looking Do you actually have foam sound deadening sheets I’m like whoa I’m lazy I’m just sitting in my living room.

13:19.10
AnetteCarlisle
I do I do? Well you know I did this after Seth talked about doing his shower. So I’m like I got this perfect little closet but it doesn’t give me a lot of wiggle room. So.

13:28.73
podcomm
Yes, the. Yeah I don’t have a lot of we have a small house. Don’t have a ton of room in the house and was like oh I had I had a room set up that was like my pod cave and it was my office but my wife got switched to working remotely So We’re like well all right? We need. Yeah, so we like opposite diagonal corners of the house fire apart as we can get.

13:51.36
AnetteCarlisle
Well, you need to do an episode on how podcasting changes what you how you rearrange your house because that’s certainly I was thinking about that beforehand you know I’m completely. Yeah, ah.

13:58.46
podcomm
Everybody is laughing Every podcast are listening is laughing. Oh my God Well time my spouse caught me under the pillow for or the time people podcasting with with like ah comforters over their head on the bed to like kill the whole room. Yeah, it’s totally a thing. It’s.

14:08.25
AnetteCarlisle
Ah.

14:17.91
podcomm
It’s such a challenge to to what’s the purito principle 8020 like to try and be mindful of you know, just you and I having good mics and we’re you’re using a system that records the wave on each end so we have the full audio is like going to be really good and then I’m just going to jam it through my audio deck and like be ah done in 2 minutes

14:21.37
AnetteCarlisle
Ah, yeah.

14:37.69
podcomm
And it’s so much better than like trying to tape a phone call or record a Zoom call and so ah to me for me. That’s always the hardest part is not getting like way off in the weeds on the latest shiny thing and you know oh I’ll try all the different audio editing so it’s like no I’ll just pick one. But.

14:52.55
AnetteCarlisle
Well fortunately I have a son who does video audio editing shooting all you know all that kind of stuff and he’s a sound wizard and he can do stuff with his with his knowledge that I can’t begin to do so. I Hire him to do it when it’s at least when it’s Challenging. You know so.

15:13.83
podcomm
That’s the spirit I’m ah I’m a big fan of like do the do the cost calculation like you know what? what would you have to pay me you know retir what would you have to pay me per hour to dig a ditch. You know and I don’t know that I have an exact rate. But if somebody asked me I could think about it for a minute or 2 and probably come up with an actual number or like I had a really close friend of mine say hey could you give me a ride to go pick up a car I want to buy and I went sure and then he told me it was like 4 hours one way to the you know like 2 states over and I’m like yeah no i. Rather spend the 4 hours riding the car with you than I would you know I could like that’s worth a lot of money money that time is worthwhile. Um, and so I think podcasting has kind of indirectly taught me to be really mindful of like what am I doing with my time you know do I spend you know if I spend 2 hours doing something.

15:50.00
AnetteCarlisle
Yeah.

16:03.34
podcomm
And am I like am I making the art am I making the artifact because I want the artifact and I value the thing early on I say I was obsessed with download numbers. But in the beginning you know in like 2018 or something I was really obsessed with like you know publish the episode. And then like every 6 hours I’m like checking on it was now I’m just like it’s okay and then like two years ago I had a data disaster and and like my stuff’s in a backup in a database but I don’t I’m like I only have the last two years of data ready it I’m like I’m glad I’m not fixated on total downloads because I have no idea you know like so it’s taught me a lot about perspective plus having. You know, however, many 200 whatever conversations with people is super helpful and so on.

16:43.85
AnetteCarlisle
1 thing we have not really articulated but I want to make sure we capture it is how much of this helps me fulfill. My creative needs you know I mean you know for those creatives.

16:56.56
podcomm
Now.

17:02.39
AnetteCarlisle
Podcasting is a huge body of work and I’m very proud of my body of work I’m sure you are as well and you know some more than others maybe but collectively it’s.

17:10.50
podcomm
Amen. Yeah.

17:13.76
podcomm
Yeah, there’s there’s some that has some duct tape on them. But I love them for their faults too. You know.

17:20.80
AnetteCarlisle
But it’s I mean and it’s going to be there. It’s it’s there next year for what I recorded two years ago or you know, whatever and that to me is is wonderful and as I come up with new ideas or new. Interview suggestions or thoughts and or angles or you know and as the world shifts and it’s done a lot of shifting in 2020 2021. It’s not done shifting and there’s been a lot of things out there and.

17:45.57
podcomm
And it will like yeah no.

17:57.64
AnetteCarlisle
You know I might chase them a little bit and bring them into my podcast but there’s they’re not going to divert me away from my main focus. You know I mean I brought in me because so many of these things overlap and you can’t talk about Race inequity.

18:08.82
podcomm
Let’s go on.

18:16.98
AnetteCarlisle
You know only I mean if I’m talking about education. Of course I have to talk about those but I’m not going to get sidetracked and only do that right now at least so you know things like that.

18:25.52
podcomm
Right? Um, maybe let’s end with um, what’s something that you would have told Annette you know unlike day one of the podcast journey.

18:41.42
AnetteCarlisle
Who Um, I was so nervous when we started and part of what you learned to do is listen to yourself on the you know on the mic or in recordings and I hated that I’ve been a public figure for decades. You know I’m used to talking in public and talking. But for some reason that just really bothered me and I would tell myself to just get over that and that what I have to share is so much more important than my insecurities keeping me from sharing it and. Not ask somebody to give me permission to do that. Just go ahead. This is part of my leadership Journey. Just do it.

19:31.56
podcomm
Outstanding. Thank you so much. Um I So he’s like like I said it comes to a stop in a hurry. But I think that’s a really good place to end I think we’ve managed to cover a wide array of things for super short time spent.

19:43.60
AnetteCarlisle
Thank you Craig.

19:45.30
podcomm
Um, so Annette it was a pleasure I don’t think we’ve done anything recorded before although it’s hard for me to remember but I don’t think we’ve we have oh I’m sorry I hate when I do that I hate when I forget people all right I’m going not to go back and listen to that.

19:48.63
AnetteCarlisle
Now we have we have you’re on my podcast I’m glad you remember that. Well it was when we did during class it was your your generous spirit saying anybody wants to interview me, you had done akito I done Akito and I thought okay that’s a connection.

20:08.38
podcomm
Ah, is that but I you actually published that oh I have to go I like that I listen to that I have to a listen to that? Sorry oh yeah, no no I’m not I’m not I’m not doubting that it’s publishable I was just like Wow How do I not remember that anyway I’m sorry.

20:15.11
AnetteCarlisle
Well, you get me permission because I ask. Ah.

20:24.50
AnetteCarlisle
But but I brought up something I have to bring back is the leadership you can do through podcasting and you’re doing it in the leadership you know in the podcasting community for sure and through your other podcasts. But I just people need to understand.

20:31.45
podcomm
Um, and.

20:37.51
podcomm
Thank you.

20:43.69
AnetteCarlisle
That’s a way to lead.

20:44.15
podcomm
I Would definitely agree. Thank you for saying so but cool all right? Well let’s call it a podcast thanks and that and congratulations on that enormous Awesome milestone number. Go go go bye.

20:53.62
AnetteCarlisle
Let’s call it a podcast. Thanks coming up all right? Thanks bye.