Transcript for "Intention - with Yolande Conradie"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:02.77
Yolande
Hi Craig um I’m Yolandy Nas to be here with you today.

00:06.27
podcomm
Please me too I’m tickled pink I haven’t spoken to you. It’s probably almost two years now since we last spoke so today I’m talking with yolandi con how do you say last name Karati or Zik Conrad karati

00:16.68
Yolande
That’s great couldn body. Yeah Yolandy Canra echo.

00:23.89
podcomm
I thought I had that in my head from the last time we talked, but it’s always tough with people’s names and I’m actually I’m like I’m normally really excited but I’m super excited because I love that we can do this like you’re literally on not quite the other side of the world. But you’re all the way in Africa and are.

00:38.80
Yolande
Yeah, halfway around the world. If.

00:42.14
podcomm
Yeah, our video call was a little janky but with the way Zencastr Works I know the audio will come through fine in the end. So um, you know we’ve all had a rough year about being like lockdown or having problems with businesses but the like the miracle of the internet.

00:53.67
Yolande
Yes.

00:58.21
podcomm
Combined with the miracle of us knowing how to do audiopid like this is so great. So um’ I’m doubly tickled pink. So I don’t have like a standard format but you and I talked a little bit beforehand and where we were going to start is I’m just going to say what comes to mind when I say the word.

00:59.74
Yolande
Yes.

01:15.64
Yolande
Who do things immediately and the first one is I love podcasts and oh you know what? I actually did not discover true crime podcasts at the time that I did the podcast in course I promise.

01:16.30
podcomm
Podcasting.

01:31.14
podcomm
Um.

01:35.31
Yolande
In 2019 it was all just factual and academic and Bbc and mind tools and and then I discovered true crime. So that’s my I called it my candy floss for my ears. Um, but I I love listening and and um.

01:46.28
podcomm
Um.

01:52.97
Yolande
Knowledge learning new things I Also love language So I like hearing people using a language and the way we express ourselves in different countries I find that wildly interesting. The other thing when I hear the word podcasting is I think back of the time that I did.

02:05.45
podcomm
Um.

02:12.77
Yolande
Podcasting course and all the learning that happened there. Everything I learned about um audio and working with different types of software and but that was all very new to me but it was I didn’t know it at the time. But. Ah, few months later that came in extremely handy.

02:32.99
podcomm
You mentioned that you had a course that you converted to audio and I know I’ve heard a lot of people say like oh I’ve got a new course that I’ve put out but I’m wondering what your experience was like trying to change. From like 1 medium to another and making it being audio specificific is that what you did.

02:54.52
Yolande
I well I actually may it it I had to literally transform a face-to-face course that I was supposed to start um, presenting as well. I’m in South Africa as our hard lockdown started now. Ah, don’t know if you’re aware of this but South Africa had 1 of the most strict lockdowns in the world when we had our level 5 lockdown. We couldn’t even go out of our yards to exercise you were only allowed to leave your own yard if you had to go to a shop for for. Um, food or for medical purposes. So I was supposed to start with a new group of students the week the two weeks after our hard lockdown started and our um I teach at a university I lecture at a university I’m at the business school and. Um, I do one of the leadership modules and our director phoned me and he said okay, um, me dollar question. Do you feel that you’re up to digitalizing your module.

03:54.74
podcomm
New world.

04:03.61
podcomm
Um.

04:06.23
Yolande
And my what it is is yeah I mean it’s It’s a full course that I do and I being misaid and yes and I did not know what I was getting myself into but I’ve always been like that I learn on the go and. Obviously then I so had to start in my little study had to start making videos where I explained the material and I had to start thinking how to um transfer face-to-face exercises in a classroom How to get that online and have people. Will do an activity online that will make senses and that will sort of cement the lesson that that registered but then I realized that a lot of the work when you digitalize a whole course is about the audio and um.

04:56.78
podcomm
Um, that worked out well right.

05:01.98
Yolande
I use Apple so I video is amazing. Eyemovie is amazing. But sometimes I had to remove the audio and put in bits and bobs with other audio software. Unfortunately I knew how to do that. So.

05:16.39
podcomm
That came in super handy. Was there anything that you thought was going to be really hard that turned out to be really easy about changing all the material over.

05:38.30
podcomm
Do you still hear me I’m not sure if we’ve oh sorry I I said was there anything that you thought would be really hard that turned out to be easier than you expected.

05:39.47
Yolande
Sorry Craig I lost you thee for a moment.

05:51.20
Yolande
Yes, they actually was and that was working with with a green screen and um, doing layers of video 1 over the other to make the video more interesting and have um cartoon writing over.

06:03.17
podcomm
Um.

06:10.73
Yolande
My video while I was talking and so I thought that would be really difficult. But if you have the right software and you’re a little bit adventurous Technologically I don’t think anything’s really difficult. It might be a bit complicated and but as soon as you know the steps and you know more or is how what works. Ah, think it’s fine.

06:31.56
podcomm
That’s fine. What kind of feedback. So by now you’ve taught the course have you done it more than once and what kind of feedback have you gotten from the students.

06:37.83
Yolande
Yes I have done it more than once so we haven’t gone back to face-to-face class at all. So I’ve been teaching online for a year and a half now and I’ve converted some of my other courses my own courses and feedback from the students is. Really good. It’s it’s actually amazing and because I get very involved with my non- audience when I’m in front of my video camera or behind the microphone like there’s no one on the other side but to me it’s like they are they I’m speaking to them so they feel.

07:11.75
podcomm
Um.

07:16.27
Yolande
That it’s personal. They feel as if I’m really speaking to them. It’s not if they don’t feel like they’re just listening to a recording which I think makes a big Difference. You have to really, you’re a person speaking to other people and. It has to come through so that feedback has been great. But then I’m also a bit of a perfectionist so feedback from the faculty has also been good. Um, they they appreciate the amount of work that that goes into editing and and giving a really nice rounded in product. Because you have to think of the person that sits behind their computer watching a whole course online and listening to a whole course Online. It has to be nice to listen to and watch otherwise he will just stop I will I know I will.

08:04.52
podcomm
You mentioned that having to talk having to provide the energy to that person who’s watching or listening did you like where do where do you get that from like what if somebody who’s listening doesn’t like I’ve never seen you not show up like that like that’s always. Spin who you are So I’m wondering. Okay, it’s probably you’ve had that superpower for a long time but can you imagine somebody who’s listening to this who goes? Yeah but where do I get that energy from how do you?? How do you?? How do you.

08:31.90
Yolande
Are.

08:36.84
podcomm
Pass that on like is there something that we can suggest a try or something they listen to or like how would you encourage someone to develop that energy.

08:46.63
Yolande
Um, that’s an interesting question because sometimes oh sorry great my dog How much sorry we just can I Just take the ball off quickly.

08:53.95
podcomm
Yeah, sure sure there’s a dog in the video I Always joke this podcast is brought to you by dogs and coffee.

09:02.83
Yolande
Um, sorry I’m alone at home and it’s cold outside so he can’t go outside nice that’s with me and he’s just discovered his noisy ball.

09:16.52
podcomm
I Saw him wander through the video and I was trying not to be distracted by the dog because I think I could just do a podcast about dogs. Yes.

09:21.50
Yolande
Um, yeah dogs in offices. Specifically it’s It’s a very interesting journey. Um all right? So to get back to the energy I think it’s it’s interesting. Try and think now of where do I get that energy from when I come and sit in front of microphone or video. But I think from years of face-to-face lecturing and I’ve learned to almost fetch that from somewhere inside before I start with any.

09:57.94
podcomm
No.

10:00.62
Yolande
Class or group or recording or whatever I I literally think myself into the right frame of mind because I know that as the presenter or lecturer or podcast or whoever you dictate the energy. In. Let’s say in the room you dictate the energy in that space you you bring it or you don’t bring it and people are very quick to pick up on your energy and they feed off that and then as soon as.

10:27.60
podcomm
Right. Yes.

10:38.40
Yolande
Ah, start littering or recording us almost start feeding off my own energy because I know my students or my audience are going to feed off my energy. So It’s almost like I’m feeling off the energy that is still to come because that is what happens in a face-to-face situation. Um, but mental preparation is important I I show up to my desk and my microphone like I would show up to a class. Dressed the same way here done the same way preparation done the same way and I’m here and I’m fully here for them in that in that space I think it’s intentional. Ah, that’s that’s the word I’m looking for… It’s an intentional showing up with Energy. It’s a principle. Um.

11:35.80
podcomm
I think that’s ah, that’s a great insight about like thinking about it ahead and having the mental preparation in place. What do you think is going to happen if you if they say okay, we’re going back to face to face. Do you think. Think it’ll be the same for you or do you think you’ll always do prefer this more like I’m wondering what would a transition back to 100 % face-to-face be like for you.

12:05.85
podcomm
He.

12:11.37
Yolande
A.

12:11.38
podcomm
Yeah, you have to see the dog. The dog is so cute but the dog got banished. No, it’s okay, ah.

12:20.87
Yolande
So sorry about that I’m so used to having him yet 24 hours a day and he he just keeps most of the day now he’s decided. Okay, it’s a good time to play.

12:29.93
podcomm
Know which is saying oh he got banished but that was ah that was a black lab is that a black labrador a rotweiler a young looking dog I was asking What would it.

12:37.87
Yolande
He’s just outside the door. He’ll be 5 That’s a rock voda. Yeah yeah, yeah.

12:49.67
podcomm
What will it be like if what would it be like when you have to transition back to entirely face-to-face or do you think that we might never like I don’t want to put ideas in your head. But I think as ah as a planet we have learned such a lesson about how to do things Virtually what can be done and what can’t be done virtually that.

13:06.40
Yolande
See.

13:08.94
podcomm
Don’t think we’re ever going to stop having virtual education virtual working. So but I’m just wondering like what’s it going to be like for you when you know when you go back and you teach that first class in person the whole you know what’s that going to be like.

13:11.14
Yolande
Yeah.

13:20.70
Yolande
I think I’m going to be super excited because I do miss the immediate interaction between myself and students. So what we do is is they they work through weekly um work sessions and then once a week we have a 2 hour a one and a half hour online classuse where everybody who takes the course are present in that class but um, and and there I do have that immediate interaction when I say something someone has a question. I can answer that question in the moment and that sparks another question from another student I think that’s the thing I miss most because I do believe that every group is different because um.

13:59.30
podcomm
Yeah.

14:16.45
Yolande
What comes up in the moment tells me what the specific need from that group is so although the course material remains the same my presentation of the course material isn’t always exactly the same from group to group.

14:33.11
podcomm
Ready.

14:36.50
Yolande
Because that depends on the need that I hear coming from within the group. It’s It’s very intuitive. It’s yeah it is intuitive and it’s also interesting to see 2 different groups with the same material The same knowledge. The same information come up with completely different needs questions thoughts discussions I Love it. I Love it. But.

15:00.33
podcomm
Um, when we when we first started talking you mentioned I asked you you know podcasting? what comes to mind and you mentioned your sheer joy and love of listening to them. But you at the same time. You also mentioned that your listening what you’ve been consuming has changed.

15:10.58
Yolande
Yes, yes.

15:19.40
podcomm
And I’m wondering if did that change So you you began to include more more true crime and more what what I refer to as experiential listening things you listen to just to have the experience of hearing it. Um, so it strikes me now that I’m wondering if. There’s a correlation between your change in the kind of podcasts you’re listening to if that corresponds to when you change to losing that face-to-face interaction like maybe you went to a different kind of podcast content because there’s a different kind of energy that you can draw from that I’m completely hypothesizing. But. I’m wondering if you’ve ever thought about that and what your thoughts are about that.

15:59.72
Yolande
If it is if that’s true. It was an unconscious or a subconscious process but I have to add this immediately I I do learn and I did learn from listening to different kinds of podcasts. Different things that you can do with sound with different kinds of sound and to um, what’s the word I’m looking for… It’s almost to merge different sound types to make for an interesting soundscape like an interesting landscape. And different podcasts and different genres have definitely given me a richer wider experience with that and influenced how I present class and also how I listened to various podcasts. Definitely it definitely had an influence.

16:44.14
podcomm
Very different.

16:53.43
podcomm
M.

16:57.87
Yolande
That’s an interesting question I like that I’m going to think about that a lot more. But.

16:59.98
podcomm
Ah there So There’s so many so many different things that you’ve mentioned that we’ve touched on I’m I’m thinking about when you took the podcasting course did you have something did you have a project like. Did you come into the course with an idea of something that you wanted to create and then I know that you didn’t actually create a podcast but you did you did a lot like you did all the work and I’m just wondering what change that made you not actually create.

17:22.17
Yolande
Yes.

17:30.16
podcomm
But that’s assuming that you were coming in with the intention of creating I Know many people take the course simply because it’s interesting and they want to see how it would work So I’m just wondering like did something change and if so what changed that made you not press.

17:40.32
Yolande
I Still do intend to make a podcast one day. That’s why I came into the course I think I did not do it yet because I probably like the confidence. Um, but I did have a project in mind and. I have lots of topics that are always swirling around in my head and lots of things that I think about that I think other people can benefit by if you if you have really good conversations about it and sometimes just fun conversations and sometimes just a relatable conversation. And that’s something I enjoy with some of the podcasts I listen to is that the people just sound so relatable and it makes you feel are I’m offable away and I have exactly the same struggles and thank you for providing such an interesting onsour just something that you haven’t thought of so yes.

18:35.38
podcomm
Um, terrific. Ah, for some reason I want to ask? Can you give me 3 of your don’t have to be your absolute favorites. But 3 particular shows that you really enjoyed that you think other people might enjoy discovering if they haven’t heard of them.

18:35.83
Yolande
Yeah.

18:53.43
Yolande
Um, interesting I I listen to lots of podcasts I find it very difficult to choose and they’re wildly different. Um, yeah, um, the.

19:00.20
podcomm
Um, yeah, that’s I didn’t say one thought I would say let give you a 3

19:12.67
Yolande
The bbc word of mouth podcast is about language and the development of languages and just it’s just if you like language and you enjoy listening to different expressions and the history of certain languages it. That is the podcast It’s definitely one of my firm favorites and when it comes to true crime I recently very recently as in two weeks ago discovered one that I don’t know why I haven’t yet. Um true crime bullshit. That’s what it’s called and what I like about it is. Person’s research is amazing. You can hear that he has really really gone to a lot of trouble to do his research well and then to present a story yes, but it’s. Chronologically correct. It makes sense in the way that he presents it. It’s it’s it’s my type of thinking in my brain. Oh I just love it and then um, bbc discovery.

20:12.68
podcomm
Um.

20:21.80
Yolande
Um, the mind tools learning and development the mind tools L and D podcast because that’s my world is L and D or part of my world I Have to add this one just because it’s pure listening pleasure pleasure and that is this Christland I didn’t think I would ever listen to that type of podcast. But the way in which he has put that podcast together is it’s Fresh. It’s different. Um, he takes you from voice to music to ah you just have to listen to appreciate what that podcast. Did with sound… It’s amazing.

21:01.37
podcomm
Thank you I ah how I’m happy we have four yolande yeah I know that all all of us podcasters I always joke we need a podcaster anonymous like oh um, but thank you so much for taking the time today to sit down I’m sorry the dog got banished. But.

21:05.27
Yolande
I can give you 4 water 14 more? ah.

21:16.26
Yolande
Um, ah number is.

21:21.30
podcomm
It’s a pleasure to talk to you. You’re as energetic as I recalled and everybody always says what would I possibly talk about and then 20 minutes go by and there’s all kinds of great stuff. So thank you for taking the time you’re very welcome bye.

21:26.20
Yolande
I Know Thank you, Thank you? Lovely being yet just that’s in.