Transcript for "Influence - with Robyn Triggs"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. My guest today is Robyn Triggs welcome Robyn how are you I ah.

00:13.65
Robyn
Um, I’m wonderful. Thank you.

00:39.84
Craig
Sometimes I never know like I like when I have guests that I don’t know very well because then it requires me to be like on my toes. Um, but what I want to say is today. We’re going to talk about failing at podcasts this day and today we’re going to talk about not almost kind of well it really was so. If people listening everybody knows what the podcaster workshop is and podcasting and community. So Robyn took a particular cohort of the course and then was invited back. Not by me I’m not that high up in that food chain invited backs to do what I love doing which is helping students. So I think there’s this neat? um. There’s an opportunity here for us to talk about the um like I’ve I’ve did 3 4 None None None 10 s now as an assistant and I have imposter syndrome every single time I’m was like I don’t know am I really being helpful and and I think so you have ah an interesting story around why you. Didn’t well I I wanna say you didn’t podcast at all. You have 3 episodes out and I want to come back to those very special episodes. You have episodes that are out but then you put the whole thing on pause as a conscious choice because you want you know like master of every jack of all trades master of nothing. You made an intentional choice to be specific with working on real estate. Um. So but the question that I asked you before which is the one I want to pick back up on is when you go when you went back and you assisted in the course that and they call us remarkables these days and the idea is to you understand what they’re going through because you very recently did it yourself so when you went back. Did it feel like helping out was I’m going to say scratching the podcasting itch or or does it feel like no, that’s it’s too close and it it just makes it worse because I’m still not doing the thing that I want to be doing like I’m just wondering what your experience was as a remarkable as somebody coming back to help.

04:10.39
Robyn
I Guess you could say it scratched and itched I did learn a lot going through it from an observations standpoint and not having to actually do the assignments and then there’s this aspect of so many of the students we’re so further along in their development of their content of the podcast they wanted to.

04:58.86
Craig
Are.

04:49.89
Robyn
To to start So I felt Wow. They’ve really got their stuff together and so I could be a cheerleader and and and encourage them. Um, so I guess in that regards you could say it’s scratch the podcasting itch. Yeah.

05:42.32
Craig
Are there any I’m like I’m curious to see how I have another idea in my head I’m curious to see if we end up there are there particular things within just like a quick unpack for those that don’t know what we’re talking about at all. It’s a. Community course where everybody is in an online platform. It is not like a treadmill of messages you have to be proactive about finding the material and doing your homework and posting your stuff and then deciding whether or not you want to allocate time to help your fellow students. So. It’s very much like a learning and doing in community space. So Rob ah, the question I was going to say before I felt I should unpack that is were there particular types of either questions or particular types of people in the space that you found. Um, you know I’m attracted to helping with this kind of problem or this kind of person or maybe even this type of person and this type of problem. Makes me want to like I’m not going near that I’m curious as to what draws your attention inside that space of like it’s a herd of people all needing assistance.

07:35.29
Robyn
It is honestly the kind people there were a couple that I connected with that were genuinely just kind and they wanted the feedback and so I would certainly so appreciate the opportunity to give feedback when they would say should I do this with that or do you like this one better or this one better. And it was almost like they wanted to vote you know I I would I was happy to jump in on stuff like that and the people who were genuinely Kind. You got this sense from some of the people that they really didn’t care what your opinion was and so I I tend to stay away from those exactly.

08:50.66
Craig
But they were’re making a bee line through the China shop right? Just like I’m trying to get to the door. Nobody just I I sometimes I wonder.

08:52.83
Robyn
Yes.

09:17.52
Craig
Of course I’m drawn to technical questions. You know like oh you put the thing when it in and it goes over here and he run it through his belt and he goes on the right and the answer is 7 you know like um so for me, the challenge is always trying to figure out how to like you know gesture. No the answer might be down this hallway over here. You know like to get people going in the right direction a lot.

09:09.29
Robyn
Um, right.

09:37.73
Robyn
The new.

09:52.96
Craig
Giving them the fish teaching them the fish instead. Um, but there’s something to be said for the beauty of oh this person really doesn’t actually need an answer what they really just need is another person to go I see you I see this struggle I acknowledge the struggle is real I personally think Red is better but you know and that kind of thing. Um.

10:09.93
Robyn
Absolutely.

10:31.24
Craig
Did did you have flashbacks to when you were trying to create your own content and then can you remember instances where somebody was like yeah that yes, it’s hard because it’s hard.

10:42.25
Robyn
Yes, well and I remember None in particular comment when I was putting out my ideas for what I wanted my podcast to be about I got a a remark and this was just from a fellow student. She was saying I don’t think anybody wants to hear that everything that we’re going on in this world. Everything that we’re dealing with in this world. Your content is not going to be attractive to you know most people and I know I thought that was so rude and so tacky but it was her perception right? but.

11:43.70
Craig
Who.

11:49.83
Robyn
My podcast was targeting a specific person going through specific things like I was and it was the podcast that I needed to hear at a certain point in my life. So I I’m glad I didn’t let her discourage me? Um, but I really thought that was so rude. So rude, but you know there’s all types.

12:42.60
Craig
I Don’t know if I’d say if I’d say rude because I’ve gotten some stuff like that They do a lot of podcasting and every once in a while somebody’s like what and to me it’s It’s more like startling. It’s more like I stepped on something you know like I step on a stone you’re like what I was not expecting that. But then I’m like oh it’s a stone.

13:04.13
Robyn
Um, yeah, right? absolutely.

13:20.52
Craig
You know like you know, know Seth says something like you know? Thank you It’s not for you thing which I think is a delightful turn of phrase although than you dirty rotia rep and you know are they worked on that thing. Um, but I do love that the space in the course that we’re talking about the space is very open and. You know people don’t flame those types of um responses. They don’t flame those you know like that is inappropriate. It’s like ah it’s a response. Um I get um, up compared to the average random person I get an enormous number of people who ask me questions about podcasting and sometimes it happens in other spaces like you know the classic.

13:54.91
Robyn
Yeah.

14:37.92
Craig
You know in the before times remember when we went to parties and stuff you know somebody wouldn’t find out what do you do? Oh as soon as I podcast. Oh and they’d ask questions and a lot of times they asked questions like oh I was thinking about starting a podcaster that might that sounds interesting. Maybe I’ll do that and but they mean it like the same way people say I was thinking about sketching I was thinking about painting.

14:26.17
Robyn
Um, right.

14:54.77
Robyn
Right.

15:14.36
Craig
And sometimes I like to say to them like don’t do it just you know, just like that and they and then they start responding and I go no really don’t do it and then when they look at me like I have 3 heads I say because if my saying don’t do it is enough to make you stop.

15:26.35
Robyn
Um, right. Um, yeah, that’s right.

15:54.40
Craig
You’re not gonna make it so there’s ah, there’s a tenaciousness that you have to have and and I mean like you specifically Robyn do have um because you you never I’m gonna say you like never let the embers go out would be might maybe a way to put this about um so you made how many episodes did you actually make.

16:06.73
Robyn
Um, yeah, 3 3 and actually no for and I published the fourth one and I hated it and I took it down so we’re say None right but 3 3 3

16:33.86
Craig
Okay, so you have 3 No, it’s ah so tell me about so you mentioned before and I’m trying to lead us there but we’re not getting there so I’m just going to ask.

16:47.75
Robyn
Um, okay.

17:05.64
Craig
You mentioned that you had somebody else hear one of your episodes and can you tell me a little bit about what you felt when you got that particular feedback about that episode.

17:05.42
Robyn
Oh my gosh. So my niece sent me a text about two weeks ago and my niece is struggling right now she had a really bad breakup um with ah with a guy she dated for a long time and she’s just been in a bad place with family relationships and everything and she sent me a. Text message and it said episode 3 minute number 27 this is exactly how I’m feeling right now and I hate feeling like this I don’t want to feel like this anymore and I think I’m starting to tear up because I knew exactly. How she felt and I wanted to make that podcast specifically to reach the people who had been through what I had been through or had experienced what I experienced and the fact that this was my own flesh and blood that was being blessed by a message that I put out. And it wasn’t like I sent her a personal video but this is out for the world and she took the time now mind you this came my podcast. My none episode published February first of 21 and so it’s been over a year and she promised you would listen to it and she promised. But you know I really believe in timing. She needed to hear it now and she was ready to hear it and the fact that it again blessed my own flesh and blood was just confirmation that I did the right thing and if I never make another episode. She was that one person who needed to hear it and you know my job is done. But. My best friend is like no you there are other people who need it and they need more of it. So at the fire is still. There. The flame is still strong I just got to make sure that I prioritized things. So yes, I’m coming back.

20:46.46
Craig
I so that everybody listening goes. Oh now I see why why cra wanted like because my my entry to that was just like fine I’m just gonna push but I I think that I mean I don’t know I know that I forget. How many people actually hear the things that I create you know and then one day I’m in the thing and I was like whoa how many downloads this well you know I better up my game here but like because people are listening and so but the other side of it is if you don’t ever look or you don’t ever notice or or you like you think you like oh I’m going to put this aside, you know you said it. You put it in the box and you push it under the bed conceptually and then a year later somebody goes that helped or touched me or that was super interesting or that was neat or made me laugh or whatever your show is one’s show out. There is trying to do um it it can just be like. I always feel like that. The meme would be like me slapping my headphones off and like running oh no, I’m gonna make the thing and push recording like it. It just like I Don I can coast pretty far on one of those. Um and I think it’s important for people to hear those those stories because even if somebody else doesn’t hear from one of their listeners. The chances that somebody had 1 of those experiences but. Didn’t know you personally so they’re not going to message you thank goodness. But that you know the like the feedback difficult anyway, so people are listening and and if they aren’t listening. It’s not touching them and if they are listening. It has to be touching them in some form. So I think that’s important people out there to hear I get.

22:56.83
Robyn
Um, exactly right.

23:31.45
Robyn
Um, absolutely.

23:49.72
Craig
Pushback from people when I invite them on the show and they say things like why don’t have a podcast or do I have to have a podcast and I know that was you but a lot of people do that. It’s not I’m not just like passive aggressively saying you should have been on the show sooner. A lot of people say um, have episodes I was like yeah but you still you know, look. You’re still in the closet wearing your podcast are had right? So It’s like you know podcasters of the world. Unite. So I think it’s important to share I don’t say the war stories because I Definitely don’t want to like that’s a phrase that gets thrown along like oh I have war stories from work now don’t unless you’re actually a soldier and your job is literally war. You don’t have war stories. Um.

24:21.50
Robyn
Um, yes.

24:45.89
Robyn
There you go.

25:06.60
Craig
But I think it’s important to share like the um maybe in some sense podcasting is also filling in the niche of like going to some social space and complaining that you know these None parent generation generation go to the bar. You know it’s like we have a support group for work. It’s called the bar. It meets every day at 5 you know and maybe this is just a. Better like what each of us is doing with our podcasts. Maybe this is a better way for us to show our work and to just be like wowa. This is a real pain in the ass past the beer nuts. You know, like ah.

25:46.39
Robyn
Yeah, Ah absolutely and it’s the um, the talking it out if nothing else you know so much healing takes place through conversation and even if you’re not sitting there with a therapist Sometimes you can get an epiphany just when you speak it out loud and you’re like whoa. Or even listening back. How does that sound? How do I sound as a person who’s saying these words I sound like a victor I sound like I’m feeling sorry for myself or having a pity party and I don’t want to be that So then obviously you know, um, out of the heart from the abundance of the heart. The mouth speaks.

26:38.52
Craig
Um.

26:57.30
Robyn
So You know if it’s coming out of your mouth. It’s really what you feel So if you want to change what you say then change how you feel and it’s a whole it could be therapeutic. It comes be entertaining but I feel like my intention was to help people in a therapeutic way through. My podcast.

27:50.68
Craig
When you were talking about talking it out and speaking and even therapy I’ve had this idea in my head like over the course of months now about podcasting makes us you know, like literally us the podcasters. It makes us filter our thoughts. If you’re listening. You can be having I can be driving a car on None thoughts and I’m also kind of none listening to Craig or you’re skipping over the parts where Craig talks. But when I have to talk or Robyn has to talk or the podcasters have to do our thing I can I can talk really fast but I cannot talk as fast as I can think.

28:44.59
Robyn
Right.

29:02.56
Craig
And that makes you go Oh I got so let’s presume that my thoughts are useful I All these great things to share which one of them do I put into the microphone and just that alone right? There is um, the the opposite I’m gonna say the opposite of social media like.

29:07.49
Robyn
Are.

29:22.27
Robyn
Um, affects.

29:38.72
Craig
I love to bash on social media and I’ll check that I’m not on my soapbox I’m not on my soapbox but social media gets bashed because we’re all showing here’s my pretty dinner here’s my beautiful photo of my family. You know you get like the spin version of it. But there’s also the point that if we’re creating content. And we’re filtering and we filter for the best that allows us to do maybe do work that like if you followed me around for a whole day. You’d be like don’t even want to like no like there’s no opportunity to ever get anything useful from Craig which is actually the case.

30:32.39
Robyn
I Feel like the beauty for podcasting for me was actually the fact that there is no video because I’m one of those people that I want to be more active on social media. But I also know they want to see your face and they want to see. Um.

31:23.64
Craig
Mean.

31:11.15
Robyn
Personal stuff. Well sometimes the personal stuff isn’t pretty and of course social media doesn’t love that Well I guess they’re getting to a point now where they they say they want the real but I feel like my podcast was I’m showing you my work I’m showing you the struggles that I went through.

31:50.62
Craig
Frame.

31:44.73
Robyn
You don’t have to see my face if you never see my face This is this is wonderful I don’t want to say it. You know they say you have a face made for a radio that type of thing I just feel like I don’t have to comb my hair I don’t have to look a certain way I can just come on here and be as vulnerable.

32:16.00
Craig
But are that in years I Love it. You sir.

32:23.53
Robyn
As I choose to be and I really feel like the healing is in the vulnerability I don’t have to tell Gory details of course but to talk about the raw emotion and not have to worry about my facial expressions or whether I have a good hair day. Feel like that was free and so the podcast was good. You can do the same thing in a book but you can’t read a book and drive a car. You shouldn’t but you know when people will say they don’t have time and but everybody’s got to drive or get on the Subway So podcasting is a medium where I feel like.

33:20.26
Craig
Um, name.

33:37.85
Robyn
A lot of people can access it even if they’re busy.

33:56.38
Craig
Yeah there’s so much more information in visual and there’s so much more there that you would have to try and control and when you see somebody do um, an interview or a conversation. You know, None people between ferns and when it’s done well with like None cameras and 4 people run an audio and 3 lighting guys and a generator outside it comes across really good, but that’s not the kind of thing that you know random person is going to pull off you know in their home in their spare time.

34:19.47
Robyn
Yes.

34:40.61
Robyn
Exactly.

34:59.92
Craig
And so there’s there’s this beauty of how podcasting is also an opportunity for us for someone for us to do more than sketch and you know more than not that sketching and want to belittle the art form but all I need is a pen and a piece of paper and I can start There’s a little more that you need to do podcasting but it’s not such a ridiculously high bar. And yet there’s so much. There’s a lot of information in audio. But if I want no information I can just go you know like and there’s communication happening but it’s like okay that’s manage well Rob and I can manage the audio without this getting out of hand or you know the bus running off the road.

35:38.77
Robyn
Um, yes.

36:00.25
Robyn
Absolutely.

36:18.96
Craig
Although often the bus runs off the road if craigs permitted anywhere near the steering wheel. Ah so yeah, um, ah do you have planned like do you think you’re going to re-release episode 4 at some point or are you gonna it just I think be funny. We can somehow skip for and like force just a one second. Do.

36:11.65
Robyn
Um.

36:53.16
Craig
You know and then episode 5 comes out.

36:41.13
Robyn
Ah I think episode 4 will be totally revamped. Yeah I’ll have to remake that it was pretty bad.

37:03.74
Craig
Um, you. But I think it’s a lot to be said for um, what’s that ernest and ulio gallo they only will sell no wine before it’s time or whatever like there’s something to be said for it could be None ars before episode 4 comes back out and who knows how much good those first three will do. While they sit there and simmer many other parting thoughts for people who might be on the fence going I was thinking about podcasting but I’m not sure about it or should they take a course should they find.

37:34.30
Robyn
That’s true.

38:13.36
Craig
Somebody else who’s ravidly passionate about podcasting. What do you say to people when they ask you about podcasting now.

38:07.29
Robyn
Most people don’t ask me about podcasting because most people don’t know I did one but my husband actually my husband is is contemplating a podcast and is actually wanting us to do 1 together but um for me I bought these headphones.

38:28.20
Craig
Well well played was.

38:42.31
Robyn
For $99 I bought another set of headphones that I use for a regular everyday zoom I get so many compliments on the quality of the of those headphones by the way so all in all I spent none to start my podcast and then obviously of the course cost of the course and I think I the hosting and stuff like that. So very inexpensive. But um I would say do it because here’s the thing you don’t have to publish if you hate it. You don’t have to actually press publish. But. Press publish because as Seth Godin says um the likelihood of 0 people listening is much higher than everybody in the world listening. You’re going to have closer to 0 listeners than you are to a None listeners so be embarrassed by None people. You know or be it be embarssed in front of None people who cares put it out there feel good about the fact that you created something and you put your thoughts and your intellectual property out into the world and then again if you don’t like it take it down start over, do something else, get a guess to come on there but I think if you have something to say. That is strong enough that you even thought about a podcast. Do it.

41:42.80
Craig
Terrific as I often say because it’s true Robyn it was a pleasure to and we’ve had a couple of it’s like. Always have trouble keeping contact because like we’ve been on a couple of like real small group calls that are part of the coaching team and then I’m just like wait. But I think remember everyone you were also student so it was nice to get a chance to have like a None on one completely non-p privatevate because we’re going to publish it conversation but it was fun to get a a conversation where there aren’t other people. Um I don’t know in the room or.

42:05.29
Robyn
Um, right? ah.

42:39.54
Craig
Necessarily derailing our train of thought let’s just say that hey that way so it was a pleasure good chance to talk to you I wish you the best of luck I hope a thousand more people listen to episode 3 and have the same reaction that be great None more people helped so thanks for taking the time today Robyn.

42:26.49
Robyn
Here you go.

42:45.57
Robyn
Um, absolutely thank you for having me This is awesome.