Transcript for "Impact - with Sanat Singhal"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine today I’m talking with Sanat Singhal welcome Sanat it’s a pleasure to see you again. I haven’t talked to you in about 2 years hello how are you today.

00:09.47
Sanat
Yeah, hey Craig it’s great to catch up and be on the podcast and yeah I’m doing I’m doing really good. It’s it’s a really nice day out and just been walking around.

00:22.53
podcomm
I’m seeing the sun coming in through window we were talking about weather and when we started talking and we get on the call we’re like a little chitchat and you and I were talking a little bit about interviewing and little meta right? like we’re doing interviews like literally in the moment and um, my first thought.

00:34.31
Sanat
And.

00:39.79
podcomm
First question that I have is around what are you? So your your podcast is interview format. What are you trying to accomplish with your show. What’s the thing that you want to get out into the world or the change that you want to see in the world because of your work.

00:54.23
Sanat
Yeah, um, yeah, So I think the main the main change I’m trying to put out is really in being a facilitator for like inspiration and. Um, inspiration and information as well. But primarily to uncover like stories of entrepreneurial… entrepreneur young people and their impact and the way they’re thinking about the future and to. Shared that with other young people and basically inspired them to um, like think bigger be more ambitious and and also try to figure out like their own vision for what the world should look like and do that. So. I Think primarily I’m trying to use the stories of of people to um, spread more like ambition and and like inspiration.

02:03.81
podcomm
Nice I Often say yes, please could we have more of that I do think that’s a great. Um, it’s great to spread other people’s stories as a means of inspiring others because I don’t know about you. But for me I spend most of my time.

02:07.40
Sanat
Um, simply.

02:23.40
podcomm
Um, most of my time when I’m like working I spend most of my time in my own little bubble like where else would I be besides in my own head and it gets to give me challenging. You don’t want to be externally motivated like I’m not doing it unless people tell me I’m awesome, but you do need to figure out like where does my work.

02:26.28
Sanat
The.

02:40.97
podcomm
Fit into the bigger picture and I’m wondering if you’ve if you’ve found instances of people who have maybe been on your show I’m a big fan of like seeing the connections not between me and everybody but between other people So I’m wondering if you’ve had any stories or situations that you’ve seen where.

02:54.63
Sanat
The.

03:00.37
podcomm
Somebody who’s been on your show whose story. You’ve wanted to share obviously or they wouldn’t be on your show where they’ve then connected with somebody else like another listener or having been on your show showed your guest a different way to think about something like what are those second order effects if you’ve seen any of those.

03:15.59
Sanat
Um, yeah, um.

03:24.70
Sanat
I think there’s been a couple instances where like one 1 instance was I had someone on my show and he had he had basically a student reach out to him saying that he had listened to the podcast and wanted to. Connect and yeah, learn more about his like business and his experience at a particular university as well. Um, and so that was that was really cool. Um I think also there have been instances of like. People some of my guests who mentioned that they had listened to other episodes like with other guests and like been inspired and that’s why they wanted to reach out to be on the podcast and like found it and wanted to yeah, share their own stories and basically also help. Help other people. Um, so yeah, those have been that that’s always like really really cool to see and yeah hopefully I love to see more of those stories come out. Yeah, but it’s always hard to. Like those are still fairly rare. So it’s a bit harder to track my impact or I’m sure there’s probably more stories that I’m not aware of but um, but yeah, those are some that come to mind.

04:55.17
podcomm
In there, you touched on I guess what I’m going to call the power of having the chance to have a direct interaction with someone and by that I mean um, ah like our. Like in our conversation here with people listening I mean well you could just look up so not go have a conversation but generally people listening might not ever have a chance to talk to you. So if we talk about Cambridge where you’re currently sitting if you and I were to talk about Cambridge I don’t know if that’s interesting. But if we did. Somebody would get not just information about Cambridge but they get they get synot’s first person experience of Cambridge and I’m just using Cambridge as an example so you you kind of mentioned that that power of that first person experience when you talk about somebody who listened to 1 of your guests. It’s like.

05:38.32
Sanat
Is it.

05:49.48
Sanat
Um, and.

05:51.61
podcomm
Yeah, they they almost had a conversation with the guests a little One-sided. You’re stuck in a box of no talking. Um, but I love that. That’s one things I Love about podcasting is the power of and whether one does Journalism interviews conversations a whole spectrum of stuff the power of as a podcaster. We get the. The privilege the opportunity the delightful chance to share you know in this case I get to share sat with the world and that’s I like yeah, let’s God I Love that um, have you First of all, would you agree and if you do have you found that you’re the the I’m going to say the joy of creating podcasts. Are you gonna. You think that that your personal enjoyment has grown as you begin to realize how your sharing of guests affects the world. You see what I’m saying.

06:39.80
Sanat
Yeah, yeah, um, yeah, definitely I I think it’s I definitely feel more like sort of more responsibility and more. Um. And gauged when I know that you know people are listening and that it’s providing value to other people. Um, yeah I think I think it’s definitely a factor but at the same time I also. Um, I think when when there were like not as many people listening I think or when I don’t think about the listener. There’s also some benefit to like sort of focusing on trying to channel my own curiosity and interest and basically using that as. To drive the conversation instead of sort sort of worrying about you know whether this will um, be useful to other people because I think often. Yeah stuff that I’m curious about and that I’m that episodes where I’ve I feel like really um.

07:42.43
podcomm
Um.

07:55.98
Sanat
Engaged and um I feel like I’m learning a lot Personally, they tend to be also useful to other people. So yeah I think I think that’s that’s probably um, something I’m more trying to become more comfortable doing I Just following my own.

08:16.11
podcomm
O Sometimes I want to just press stop without saying it other words like that’s awesome. Let’s just end there but no, um, if you’re listening. Do you know what? I’m about to do so not? What’s the name of your show.

08:15.39
Sanat
Curiosity.

08:31.11
Sanat
It’s called Twenty first century visionary um I have to to think about this I think it’s 43 or 42

08:32.73
podcomm
And what episode number are you on give her give or take a few forty okay that’s awesome people listening you should know I was about to do this. That’s awesome because I’m a podcaster I said before most of the things I do about podcasting are my own little bubble. And I know you are in the same bubble and everybody out there who make podcasts and it’s lonely right? It’s hard work. Um, and I just like to take any chance I can to say to podcasters that’s awesome, 43 42 thirty nine. That’s awesome. That’s way beyond.

09:01.25
Sanat
Listen shift that yeah.

09:08.39
podcomm
This was a fad or you know I thought it was cool So I did it. That’s that’s really cool so congratulations on having gotten that Far. Can’t wait to see where you’re going to be in another 40 episodes is there anything about podcasting That’s currently a challenge for you Something that’s like. Oh this is I got to figure out how to or something like that.

09:28.89
Sanat
Yeah, so I mean right now I’m actually transitioning and thinking about like where to take the podcast next. Um, I’ve I’ve been mainly interviewing So for the first. Part of the podcast I was mainly you know, not super selective with guests or ah, yeah, pretty pretty broad. Um, pretty broad broad sort of guest selection and focus. So I was interviewing you know. A lot of young entrepreneurs who were doing sort of impactful companies. But I wasn’t trying to it wasn’t focused on like a specific niche per se within within entrepreneurship. Um, and I also interviewed like professors are like more seasoned entrepreneurs at times so it was pretty like open and I’m now basically thinking about how to narrow my focus and like make it more. Um, tailored towards like entrepreneurs who are pursuing who are intentionally pursuing very impactful routes and and doing working in areas that could affect like the Future. Um. So So yeah in that transition. Um, um, that’s sort of the challenge is like figuring out whether I should continue doing that within this podcast start ah or start a new one and then also what kinds of. Yeah, what kinds of guests to have on and and yeah other aspects of how to run that. But I think I think I think that’s mainly where I’m at right Now. So I haven’t published a new episode in ah and like around a month I think and so. Basically basically thinking about thinking about how to reposition.

11:48.67
podcomm
Where do you think that let’s call that a mindset shift where do you think that Mindset shift came from like is it. Yeah, you know did you did you have did you have a particular interview that gave you a new idea or or is it like just where you are in your life or like that’s um.

11:57.00
Sanat
A.

12:04.59
Sanat
Um, yeah, yeah, um I think one is I realized while doing the interviews that I for some some of them I was sort of like picking guests. Um.

12:06.45
podcomm
Is not a huge transition. But what what? where did that come from.

12:24.37
Sanat
That seemed that seemed like in theory good or seemed to fit the bill but but weren’t people I was particularly excited to talk to necessarily or like yeah or I didn’t necessarily think they were. Um, yeah I basically wasn’t particularly excited. Intrinsically excited to talk to them. So So I that was one thing where I I was thinking about how like who are who are people I actually. You know would be more excited to talk to and instead of just picking instead of just yeah, picking people who like came my way sort of or like who I heard about and you know just reached out to and without much thought and also I.

13:06.98
podcomm
Um.

13:17.69
Sanat
Was doing it sort of yeah it was. It was sort of becoming mechanical where I was like publishing episodes ah for sort of the sake of getting them out instead of thinking about yeah like what the impact would be and whether it is like whether I actually. My processes are are ideal because 1 1 thing is I realized I wanted spend more time actually researching before the interview and like not just try to churn them out but like really try to. Find the best um, find the most useful bits from you know, people’s story and insights and go deep so that was that was sort of the realization I had ah and just generally sort of wanting to take it to the next level. Um, and also I ah I was sort of personally realizing like that. My views about impact were like basically my views about impact changed a lot over over the last year or so and like um. I just yeah, just became more specific in what I taught and and what sort of businesses or like organizations I taught are actually you know significantly impactful on on society and like the future. So. That was those are sort of the main reasons.

14:53.49
podcomm
Do you find that? um like it. It can be a deep rabbit hole right? You start thinking about what’s you know here are 10 people that I can see on my radar screen which of those would be a good person to be on the show. And then I have to do the logistics work of connecting with them and then I have to research and like that’s a deep rabbit hole before you even get to press record and then the course we all know about the deep rabbit hole which Craig completely avoids perhaps to my show’s detriment. Deep rabbit hole in post-production of like well now let’s edit this thing down into something that each of us you know, producing feels is meaningful. Um, how do you figure out how much to go like by yourself how much to go into the person and the topic and the material. How do you figure out how far to go. And how do you figure out like what’s going to be appropriate like I could go deep on Sanat’s personal history or I could go deep on Sanat’s current work or I could go deep on his current project this per personal project. Um.

16:01.20
Sanat
Man right.

16:03.88
podcomm
How do you? How do you make those decisions like how do you personally make those decisions when you say okay I which of these 10 people on radar do I pick and then how do I prepare for that person.

16:11.10
Sanat
Yeah, no, that’s that’s a good question I Think yeah, that’s another basically thing that I need to work on and um I don’t think I was particularly intentional about this for the previous episodes. But I think one one thing is just basically going focusing on the parts that are like again, it comes back to the curiosity or like personal curiosity where I actually feel like this is interesting and. I Guess there is ah there’s ah, always a balance in podcasting between I think like information as but if you’re doing like an educational sort of podcast between like information and like entertainment sort of because yeah, you have to yeah you have to keep keep. Things engaging for the listener I guess and so if it’s all just sort of information without much. Ah yeah, without much like entertainment or like interest and enthusiasm then obviously that’s that. The information won’t be conveyed I think as well. So Yeah I think one one important part is just going with my own curiosity more and like following following a thread to if I think it’s going to an interesting place I. In terms of my own show. Ah I think focusing more on the person’s like on a particular aspect of the person’s experience rather than ah this is another thing I Want to change is like in my episodes I tended to try to Like. Cover all aspects of someone’s journey and their story. So like start from the beginning and like very sequential sort of which I don’t think is like the best way to do it and it tends to yeah, that’s another way it can get sort of boring where.

18:06.38
podcomm
M.

18:24.64
Sanat
If You’re not, you know if you’re just trying to like cover every aspect even when it doesn’t really necessarily have that much value or and or is not super interesting then yeah can become mechanical So like I think basically honing in on what is actually. You know what aspect of their life. What time period of their life was actually like the most interesting for me and is the reason I want to talk to them and then yeah, focusing on that and the insights from that. Um, that’s that’s mainly what I’d said area.

19:00.20
podcomm
I Think you made several astute observations in there. You’ve mentioned several times while we’re talking following your own curiosity which is something I always say I do that all the time I’ll often spotted crossing the street. What’s over there. You don’t think this ah a curiosity I think is a.

19:10.20
Sanat
And confident.

19:18.12
podcomm
Beautiful powerful tool to use to power 1 ne’s own work. But I also love the um you were. You’re sort of describing snapshots right? Like what’s the piece of this person that I think would best serve and that I could you know in in your case that would. Best serve your audience that’ll best serve creation of change in the world. So yeah I I like I said I think you make several really great points. So I I wish you the best of luck I think you’re going to do great things to continue to do more great things. So thanks so much for taking the time today. So not.

19:51.21
Sanat
So yeah, thank you so much Craig this was ah this was great I I really enjoyed the opportunity to share or share more about my experience and also yeah, reflect a bit ah for myself. So yeah, thanks so much.