Transcript for "Execution - with Angie Flynn-McIver"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine how are you today I’m talking with Angie Flynn Mckeever and we’ve done you’ve been on a full episode of movers mindset and lived to tell the tale. Um.

00:01.79
Angie
Hello Craig it’s good to see you.

00:13.62
Angie
Um, that’s right or did.

00:17.91
podcomm
And you’ve recently been sort of like afk away from keyboard a little bit working on your book congratulations on that I I can’t I can say it won’t be out by the time this is published because it’s not coming out in the next five minutes so but I know it’s I know it’s eminent. You’ve done the work you’ve recorded the audio. So congrats on that.

00:22.37
Angie
Thank you.

00:28.64
Angie
I Wish I wish it were gosh that would be amazing.

00:37.58
podcomm
Um, we do as I say many times a little bit of a little pre-conversation chat here to get warmed up and you had mentioned I’m like jotted down someday in quotes suppose your word choice when I asked about what are you thinking about when you talk about podcasting and you said. Some point I’d like to talk about what I want to do with maybe my podcast someday about trying to strip it down to what I’m calling. This thing is minimum viable podcast and I’m just wondering I want to like push back a little bit against why someday? Why not? ah rfn right now.

01:12.45
Angie
Ah, well 1 thing that you and I’ve talked about in the past is I’ve I have started and abandoned a couple of different podcasts and I think the thing that is appealing to me about the like what’s the stripped down version. What’s the rfn version. Is I can get hamstrung by the oh but it has to be this and it has to be that and what if I don’t have the perfect art for the podcast. You know it’s that thing that I think gets me hung up on not doing it at all.

01:38.94
podcomm
Um, new.

01:47.93
Angie
And so I really like this idea of what if it was insights into my coaching business like you know I have a blog as you know that comes out a few times a week so it could be the podcast version of that It could be short conversations with other people like you do it could be.

01:54.93
podcomm
Facebook.

02:04.82
Angie
Ah, the thing that I’m I’m really interested in is this juicy, meaty conversational. Ah, how do we explore difficult conversations together. How do we talk about difficult topics. There are a couple of podcasts that are doing this right now this this like.

02:22.77
podcomm
This.

02:22.91
Angie
How do we have conversations when we are not in the same when we don’t believe the same thing when we have big disagreements when we have small disagreements I think discourse has really gotten I’m I This is. This is my alert to say this is I’m about to say a thing that is not going to surprise anybody that you’ve all heard before which is discourse has really gotten hijacked by the the hot. You know the hot take the quick take the you know the short headline version of of an idea and I think we lose a lot when we don’t. Have actual spoken conversations in real time with other humans to figure out to figure out what we think to figure out what the common ground is to figure out where there’s not common ground I think that is something that is incredibly important and something that I’m really interested in exploring.

03:13.55
podcomm
Um I would those were words into sentences. Yes, ah first of all I would agree. Yes, that’s I think that’s where the interesting the interesting stuff lies in the interaction between you know, multiple people multiple minds.

03:15.53
Angie
Was that any kind of answer. Ah.

03:33.23
podcomm
Um, and yes I can be interested and distracted by Mike Tach and you know a million details and you know is my hair on straight today or whatever and but when I really think about it. Yes, it’s the meaty parts of the conversations as you said and I’m so um, I’m just thinking. Um. There’s so many things that you could create. But why don’t you record one of those meaty conversations. You know it’s to something what is it? two o’clock to 10 why don’t you record one of those at three o’clock with someone. And then push publish like you know it doesn’t count if you don’t publish it.

04:08.38
Angie
Right? I I don’t have a good answer for that I I should that is what I should do I want I’m not going to do that today I’ll just tell you that right now I’m not gonna do that today at three o’clock but um, but I love the idea of like.

04:12.71
podcomm
That one.

04:25.34
Angie
Just do just do the things stop talking about doing the things stop making lists about doing the things stop taking courses about doing the thing and do and do the thing. Yeah.

04:29.85
podcomm
Think that’s come up a lot. Yeah I I do often say just do the thing like what would happen if I just did you know? Well I’ve done 200 conversations what would happen if I just did 500 what happened if I did a thousand what would happen to me if I did 10000 conversations sort of like.

04:45.76
Angie
Um, as.

04:48.41
podcomm
But based on some of the ones I’ve had already today. This is not the first one of these today I’m like I’d be a pretty different person if I had a thousand conversations like these three today um so I think for me the way that I sort of like jumped the hurdle was to forget about trying to accomplish something with it like something external like a.

04:54.79
Angie
Best.

05:08.38
podcomm
Never want to like I’ve never thought I’m going to leave a legacy of and no no but I’m not going to try and change the world I’m going to try and be the change that I’d like to see in the world I think that’s Mandela’s said that or was it Desmond Tutu somebody said, um, you know be the change that you want to see and I thought well okay I can make myself a better person by having.

05:14.10
Angie
Ah.

05:19.70
Angie
Um, yeah.

05:27.41
podcomm
Interesting to me follow my curiosity type conversations with people so that’s sort of how that was the the railroad locomotive that I lashed all the pieces to and then I went oh well. Okay I have this problem of like cover art is a pain in the butt. So I whipped out. You know my crappy thing and I made a big red pea and then I made a drop shadow gray and I went save 3000 pixel square upload to simple cast. It’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. It’s like I’m done and you know what? not a single person has set du to your logo is ugly they’re they’re all pressing play. They’re not listening to that so I just kept.

05:52.21
Angie
Oops.

05:58.50
Angie
Right? right.

06:01.60
podcomm
Looking at everything and went you know why can’t I press publish immediately after recording and of course the first answer is well like I download the files. Okay so I download the files and and well you need to run it through Hindenburg and at least balance the levels Craig and I went How do you do that I’d look up the main. Oh. There’s a hot key for that. Okay, that takes 2 seconds and I just kept. Like what is between you know, record and publish. Um, one problem that I think most people might have out of the gate is who are you going to talk to um ah to be completely obnoxious I don’t have that problem I have there is a list of 60 people who are on the queue to get and I’m just like hounding people I had to slow down.

06:28.89
Angie
The here.

06:39.82
podcomm
Was hounding them too quickly and then calwardly filled up as a limit and I was like oh this is an embarrassment of riches I have to like at the pace the outreach because everybody just says what you said which is yes, please how do I when you know, um, which actually ah I don’t know if I want to like. You have things you want to say response to that before I ask a different question. It’s the it’s the Craig talks to craigshaw I was going to go a different direction which is I am discovering that the outreach part of what I’m doing is this magnificent gift to people and i.

06:56.94
Angie
No glad go ahead I have many thoughts but I want to hear what you’re going to ask.

07:12.30
Angie
And.

07:14.77
podcomm
I mean on one hand I have the imposter syndrome of like am I am I my nagging people like the third time I message Angie and say you know and you want be like and I felt like I’m nagging people but no, actually that’s not what’s going on the third time that I message someone I like switch mediums I’m like a to over here and then I go to forward link and somebody goes oh my goodness. Thank you for following up I missed the first like across the board people are so happy. Um, and and when that became blaringly glaringly obvious I went oh. It’s almost as if if my intention.

07:35.38
Angie
And her.

07:46.75
podcomm
Doing the outreach is to be generous that they that comes through and I’m I’m saying that because like Angie often talks about intentional like now you look at that so I don’t know if you’ve ever thought about you know how inviting someone to such a conversation like as you were just the conversation you were describing before.

07:50.23
Angie
Is. Yeah.

08:04.78
podcomm
You ever thought about how inviting someone to that kind of conversation is a gift.

08:07.94
Angie
I haven’t but I love that and the thing that I was that I was thinking about was that so much of what I do in terms of talking about my work is is not a conversation ironically is not a conversation. It’s a blog post that goes out and you know it’s funny. A lot of what I write I don’t get you know I get maybe some stuff on Linkedin if I post it on Linkedin but most of the people who get my blog posts don’t email me back. They have other things to do with their lives. It’s fine I don’t take it personally but every now and then one will hit and I’ll get you know a ton of emails back. It’s just something happens that day. But. You know and the book is the same way. So a book is ah is a is a is a one way. Communication. It’s me writing down a bunch of words and sending it out into the world where hopefully people will read it. But what I really like about what you’re saying is there’s a way to say here’s what I’m interested in exploring here’s a conversation I’m interested in having.

08:53.79
podcomm
Um, dream.

09:07.69
Angie
Um, I’d love to have it with you will you join me for a 20 minute conversation on this podcast and I I’m not ah that I don’t find that to be a scary idea to um to invite people to that I think the thing that becomes a hurdle for me is just. Like you I have a lot of irons in the fire if I’m going to do a thing I want to make sure I could be consistent with it that this thing is going to come out every week or it’s going to come out every two weeks or it’s going to come out every three days or whatever that there’s some kind of cadence that I can commit to.

09:28.61
podcomm
Yeah.

09:37.76
podcomm
Yeah, see there’s nothing I’m going to push back on. There’s no cadence to this show. So ah, the cadence is hey great talk Angie and they’ve publish like they come out like they’re weird days where like 6 of them come out because I did 6 in one day and then then there’s nothing for three days and i.

09:52.79
Angie
How.

09:54.83
podcomm
I I had the same the same thing. So mover’s mindset. It takes a lot of effort to put them together and then it’s like well we haven’t done 1 in five weeks and I feel like I’m not doing so I’m like I can’t start another show I can’t even do the one I have now and I and I realized that schedule was a thing and I went. Wait I started out by saying what do I have to do to have a cool conversation with Angie I need to press record and I have to press publish I’ll do anything else. It doesn’t have to be on Tuesday it has to fit in Angie’s schedule that actually is tricky to get people like so I do everything I can to make myself available on like strange you know, moving blocks of time. Um, but i. I’m finding nobody has said to me I want an episode every day or well I’m going way faster than one or the other week but nobody has said you got to be on a certain cadence and I’m I’m thinking that that cadence doesn’t actually matter I think I know for myself for a fact. Maybe I think other people too. We’ve sort of were hiding in that like you know I can’t commit to you know this is craigs actually said this to himself I can’t commit to like every month because I’m going to go camping every once in a while and then it’s going to fall into the and and this show this specific show here I just went you know what I’m going to do nobody can schedule.

10:48.46
Angie
The.

11:07.54
podcomm
More than seven days out and and I can if like I’m getting swamps so six days out like I just eliminate a day and then I look at my schedule in advance and I go. For example, I’m going away this weekend so there are no schedule opportunities like nine days ago I like blocked out Wednesday Thursday’s out Monday’s out no more window until Wednesday and I’m just like I It’s working for me and nobody seems to care so I’m not I’m much under browbeat you into launching a show I’m just saying I too. World might be a better place if you could did it but I too found that trying to commit to a schedule is daunting like you know like this shows 20 some episodes in when does it end I don’t know.

11:31.44
Angie
Ah, are you sure? ah. Oh.

11:46.63
podcomm
Um, care like it ends when I don’t do the next one like what if I just did a bunch of them and and had fun I don’t know.

11:51.70
Angie
I love this, you know I was thinking as you were talking about. Um one of my favorite podcasts is one that that without getting into the details of it is is is produced by the athletic department of the university team that I follow. And so I was thinking well, that’s an outlier because they they have to you know they they have a ah cadence that goes with the teams but you know what over the summer they just do it whenever they feel like it because they have stuff to do and I was like you know I think you’re onto something here I’m so excited.

12:22.44
podcomm
And how excited are you when they when they drop that episode and you’re just like who look what I found. Yeah.

12:29.28
Angie
And I know I exactly I I Really I think there is a lot to that and I think the um one of the other things I Really love about your process is that having the having the calendar having people being able to book means you’re going to show up to do the thing So as long as as your system. Yeah.

12:44.39
podcomm
Um, oh yeah, um.

12:48.88
Angie
Yeah, so as long as your system is set up so that you’ve you’ve issued the invitations you’ve said hey I would love x y and z people to be part of this and you said you’ve got 60 people already kind of lined up to to do this then it’s going to that part of it is going to at least. For somebody like me and for somebody like you the accountability part that’s going to take care of itself. You’re not going to not show up, you’re gonna do that I I really I really like that I think I’m Goingnna get the book out first if that’s okay with you I’m going to do that.

13:04.66
podcomm
Yeah.

13:14.13
podcomm
Okay, fine which which reminds me name of the book.

13:19.81
Angie
The name of the book is before you say anything how to have better conversations. Love public speaking and finally know what to do with your hands. That’s right, That’s what you’re supposed to do with your hands spoiler.

13:25.85
podcomm
Awesome I’m making jazz hands I know it through with my hands. Um, and we we did blog but you didn’t say the name of your website or your company you skipped over all that Miss doesn’t want to self-rote.

13:37.37
Angie
I did my company is ignite Csp that’s right, no I do ignite ignite csp coaching speaking presenting and it’s ignite http://csp.com and yeah, so that’s where the blog is found. That’s where all things. Ah, ignite csp and before you say anything are found at the moment.

13:59.57
podcomm
Terrific I have ah my blog I always say it’s like yeah, it’s the it’s the homepage for Craig like you just start here and it’s basically like links to everything. So at least you can go there. Just try to for me. It’s just general like keep it all 1 place so people can find it if anybody cares. Um.

14:07.88
Angie
Um, yes, yes, that’s right.

14:15.30
podcomm
Okay, so we did. We started out by talking about someday and I do I take some little scratchy notes here as I’m trying to figure out what the title for the show is because if the show has to be published in 5 minutes it means I had to figure out the title too. Um, and you mentioned serial like.

14:25.49
Angie
Um, yes.

14:31.73
podcomm
Doing things you know so repeatedly creating projects and I had um I’m going to say a friend who was a guest on the movers mindset podcast. He was ah like sometimes you record him out of order right? So I think he was the. Second and fourth interview and became the third episodes like the the second one was a complete disaster. We decided to throw it out. Um, and then at like episode 90 something. He came back on the show with his wife who’s an accomplished like road toured with Dylan like famous. You know, guitar player. Um. But the gentleman’s name is Thomas Drj and he’s like an accomplished. Um, Tai Chi and qgu teacher like I didn’t know this when I met the guy he brought his kids to like a mart arts class and then I knew him through parkor from jumping on stuff and then one day I’m like well you know you’re like really good. So we start talking so he’s our generation. So.

15:21.11
Angie
Lists.

15:23.73
podcomm
He was talking yet I might come to a point he was talking about he wanted to write a book and he said I have these ideas in my head and in his mind once he gets it. You know like I’m making a gesture I’m looking up and I’m thinking and then he has it figured out.

15:38.60
Angie
Yes.

15:43.56
podcomm
You know, like okay I know what I’m want to do he said in his mind it’s done I I don’t need to act right? right? like the hard part. The interesting part is to figure it out like what and then he explains what his book is going to be but what would the thing be so we’re talking about making a podcast. So like you you do the moment where you’re sipping your favorite beverage and you’re like it would be like this and then I talk. That and this would be the first guest and like if yeah and he said fortunately I’m married to a woman who like is that her name is Brenda he’s like you know brand will walk up to me be like you you write that first chapter yet you know like so what I’m getting at is there’s. You you may everybody out there and you may need someone else to balance the creativity. You might need somebody. You might need your own version of a craig to be like just press record and then I’ll upload it for you. You know like you you may need to look for the thing that you’re hung up on and it might not be as easy as. I’m saying just schedule it through calendarly or just just skip the cover art or whatever. Um, you may actually need to go. There’s this thing I’m hung up on and I actually need somebody else. You mentioned I think in the presation you mentioned hiring a producer to to I was going to say help but probably more like show you? how guide you through making the audiobook.

16:56.15
Angie
And then.

16:58.71
podcomm
And that’s clearly a case of like you wanted to do it. You clearly have the skills to do it. You have the theater background like yes, but I need some I need help. So I think there’s a lot to be said for knowing when to punt and ask for help on things I don’t know that’s not a question I could I could put a question Mark I could put a question Mark on the end of it.

17:14.80
Angie
You know I I well I there are a couple things in there I feel like I can pick up on him 1 is yes absolutely I think part of my part of the thing about my theater background is um I am I am almost at this point.

17:16.85
podcomm
But.

17:31.42
Angie
Cellularly designed to do things in teams theater is ah is a collaborative art and you you really can’t do it by yourself. You have to have other people. Um, so and one of the things I Really love about the way Theater works is that everybody brings this incredible skill set. You know you’ve got.

17:34.70
podcomm
Name.

17:50.44
Angie
A lighting designer and a sound designer and a costume designer a props designer and sometimes you got a fight choreographer. You’ve got all these actors who are doing special things. You’ve got a stage manager and you’ve got a front of house staff and you’ve got all these people who are bringing their piece of the pie right to make the whole thing be a pie I guess um. And and I love that and it is a thing that really makes me excited when all of the pieces start to come together so part of the thing that I try to do in most of my creative endeavors is you know where is the where’s the part where I can. Ah. I can relax a little bit and go ah this person’s going to bring their genius into this into this process. This person is going to bring their ideas. This person is gonna because there is ah for me, there’s almost a safety net of. Other people’s artistry other people’s creativity other people’s experience and expertise that is not mine and and I know that really clearly that there are gosh many many many things that are not my not my strength so to your point finding somebody who is that Craig voice that’s like okay. Now. It’s time to produce now. It’s time to press record now. It’s time to stop? Yeah stop. Yeah, stop sitting on your hands and just do the thing and to allow it to be iterative and in process the way.

19:06.24
podcomm
Yeah, who’s the first guest right.

19:18.76
podcomm
Um, yeah.

19:20.76
Angie
Like a rehearsal is that it doesn’t have to be maybe opening night. Maybe it’s maybe we find our way to that to belabor my theater metaphor.

19:24.53
podcomm
Um, yeah I think that’s a good interesting. No I I love I love metaphors what’s a metaphor get it metows. Um I love when people start using metaphors I’m I’m always like 1 part of me is sticking. Let’s see how far you can carry the metaphor before.

19:42.90
Angie
Yeah, keep your eye on me out sometimes it just it completely falls apart.

19:43.14
podcomm
Like but the fossil apartt. Um, yeah, but metaphor you know metaphor is really just storytelling right? You’re just one is using my brain went off on a tangent because you you mentioned soup as a metaphor and that was another thing that Thomas and I talked about very early on in my podcasting journey. And he was talking about how all these people come together. We were talking about paror as a physical activity. These people physically come together are only in a circle to and pushups and we’re sweating but we’re all bringing something in we’re making soup and you he was so you said soup and I’m like there’s that metaphor again five years later and I think people’s innate urge to tell stories is it’s well it’s innate like you’re you’re not going to get around that and when you have you’ve ever had the opportunity to see people having a really good conversation without distracting them like sometimes if you come in the room at rexit but if you see them having a good conversation. They’re like. Animated storytelling going on there. Bad grammar and and they’re they’re like oh and then I did this and the thing Andre oh my god I’d to have to me through it like and that reminds me this and they’re they’re sharing their sharing experiences. Um, as like the the conveyor belt that’s moving the ideas between them so they’re not. You know and then a implies b which then you know mean like I’m a big fan of reason or rationality. But there’s a place for that and it’s not I think in a good conversation I’m not going to be the driver for a good conversation but now I’m rambling. Um so cool.

21:07.25
Angie
Right? Yeah, no, don’t know not at all.

21:13.76
podcomm
Anything else that Springs to mind related to so you know what the name of your new podcast is going to be or when you’re going to I’m brutal. That’s a pretty obvious thing to do with Yeah, we just figure out. Maybe how to well I won’t put ideas in your head. But yes.

21:19.90
Angie
I Don’t know maybe I should maybe I should name it after the book.

21:30.97
Angie
I I I think I’ve just said I need other people to put ideas in my head so they are They are more than welcome I Love that idea.

21:31.56
podcomm
Um, that would be interesting.

21:36.15
podcomm
Yeah, but I think it’s always better to like well what’s in the well before I throw my ¢2 in the well that that isn’t even a metaphor that that doesn’t make any sense at all a mixed metaphor right? That’s what I was like I just so.

21:43.33
Angie
Yeah.

21:49.68
Angie
It’s ah it’s a mixed metaphor I think that’s all right? It’s a wishing well that you’ve thrown ¢2 into or something.

21:55.19
podcomm
Just smashed the the well as an idea as a font of information with the wishing well where you would throw to say what that doesn’t make any sense all right great. We’ll end on complete and utter chaos. But Chaos disorder our work here is done.

22:03.56
Angie
Um I love it I Love it. Yes.

22:09.83
podcomm
Um, Angie it’s always a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you. Thanks so much for taking the time.

22:12.54
Angie
Um, thank you I appreciate it.