Transcript for "Emergence - with Corey Schlosser-Hall"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route as you should know by now and my guest today is. Corey Schlosser-Hall see I told you I have a phobia about saying people’s names and I want to get it just right and I got it I think right enough based on the look so I’m just going to say welcome Corey how are you this afternoon for me morning for you.

00:21.80
Corey
Totally thank you I am great. It’s sunny and gonna be about 80 here in the Seattle area. So I’m fantastic.

00:33.20
Craig
Nice welcome as I said and I think the place to start today is let’s let’s just dive in like kind of picking up on what we were talking about before I hit the big red scary button and let’s talk about insight so I asked you about podcasting and you were talking about.

00:51.40
Corey
Um, yeah.

00:52.51
Craig
Insight and then I said well what’s the relationship in your mind between podcasting and insight you actually when I said is it that you get insight from podcasting or that you enjoy sharing insight through podcasting and you went yes. It’s just like my favorite answer Craig offers ah a buffet people were like yes, please all the things. So what? Um, so maybe I’ll give you something to I skate off of as I like to say was there a point where you maybe were surprised at just how much podcasting gives back to you.

01:11.69
Corey
Um, yeah.

01:27.42
Craig
Think most people go into podcasting thinking I think I’m want to learn and I’m going to share and then most people I’m guessing that I’ve talked to are surprised at just how much they get out of it. Um, can you recall discovering that or I might completely wrong or option C All the above.

01:29.63
Corey
Um, yeah.

01:39.59
Corey
Yeah, no no I think that’s great. Well one of the things Craig I think um, my whole I I did a couple of seasons of podcasts so far since pod 7 which by the way was amazing. Thank you for coaching us.

01:58.50
Craig
Ah, technically I wasn’t a coach I always push back on that but okay, fine. Thank you very much. No technically not but I hate this they call us remarkables. We’re basically a bunch of volunteer plebes who.

01:59.47
Corey
And um, you weren’t.

02:11.32
Craig
Have done the course and come back because we’re gluttons for punishment. But I don’t want to interrupt your trainer thought okay just call me a coach so you did pod 7

02:15.83
Corey
It was great and you were helpful and um I did that and I did a couple of seasons of episodes of episodes of podcast which was so engaging and enjoyable and the the thing I tried to capture with these podcasts was ah. The the focus of the whole thing for for my show which was called on the verge. Ah it is to try to capture those moments in a person’s life where they were where they received inspiration from somewhere to do something but it. And yet shown up in the World. So It’s Invisible. It’s ah it’s something that’s just happening with an individual or between a couple of people. It’s not visible yet and so I tried to in the in the podcast I tried to push into that invisible space. What happened in that moment.

02:54.55
Craig
Um, no.

03:10.87
Craig
Ah.

03:14.12
Corey
After you received this inspiration if you will. How did you move from that that either that feeling or that nudge or that inkling or that thought to creating what got created and so that whole thing ah that space. Requires insight it requires reflection. It requires you know, sort of conversation and to to dig back into it and um so I hear that whenever so Craig I used to read a lot more than I do. Now I listen them out a lot more than I read and um, ah or maybe reading is just another form of listening with your eyes. But ah, the the podcasting. Um, but podcasting when I am a consumer of it I love just.

03:47.75
Craig
Um.

03:57.20
Craig
Woe mind-blown.

04:06.68
Corey
Being in the swirl of the conversations that people are having and I almost never listen to a podcast that is um, ah just a person doing their own thing I’m almost always all at podcasts I Love the most are conversational dialogical or what have you and it’s.

04:22.53
Craig
Oh.

04:26.37
Corey
It’s in that inbetween that I think insight happens and I love that I don’t think that answered your question but my point is it was something about an aha about insight? Yeah, anyway there you go. That’s what that’s what I got for now.

04:31.49
Craig
I forgot what my question even was no I didn’t forget now what was about insight i. Um, ah so it’s like couple like data points I haven’t done this in a while. Um when when how long how old is your podcast and what episode number are you on you know, give or take None or 2.

04:51.23
Corey
Yeah, ah, let’s see we started it in 2021 there you go and I think the last episode was this january this recent January so far.

04:56.55
Craig
Um, I actually know the answer is June of 2021 most I looked it up so podcasting for a year and about how many episodes I think you’ve done about None something like that I just want to take the moment to say podcasting is a lonely endeavor.

05:09.66
Corey
20 fish. Yeah 25 ish yeah

05:16.30
Craig
That’s awesome people saw that coming but I like to tell people that because it really is it’s it’s um I don’t want to say if you don’t make it a year. You’re not not I don’t want to say that but what I want to say is if you’ve made it a year. Um, and you’re I want say playing with the format but you’ve had the opportunity to do some you know, straight up.

05:17.36
Corey
Um, it’s great.

05:33.72
Craig
2 people between ferns kind of conversations and he’s done some more crazy I brought 2 people on or I had you know table turning somebody else interviewed me when you have a chance to like explore the space a little bit. Um I think that that says a lot about somebody who was.

05:34.70
Corey
Um, yeah.

05:47.80
Craig
Not simply curious but also curious and then willing to follow through and put the work in like you know I Love the idea and then I also love doing the work to get to the reality of the things I just wanted to like put a pin in that about your show. Thank you for showing up.

05:50.80
Corey
Yeah, yeah.

06:01.35
Craig
Not here I mean thank you but she want up here. But thank you for showing up in the world and doing the work of podcasting. Yeah, we aim to please? Um, so that’s that’s one thought that I have while you were saying that um I also agree with your comments about insight. Um I think they are both insightful and true.

06:01.88
Corey
Um, sure and thanks for noticing are.

06:21.12
Craig
Um, and I love I’m not not like fascinated but like I love that you’re pointing to what 1 gets to observe when you so when you figuratively see people having good conversations. It’s.

06:36.27
Corey
Um, yeah.

06:38.99
Craig
It’s like I’m not just watching a ping- pong you know when I remember maggn forthth Magga look it’s apollo it’s a political debate but when you’re watching you know like there goes an idea and then the idea goes across the net and then I have an idea in response to the idea then that person up over the looks at and Thenre just like oh then another idea of like.

06:45.80
Corey
Um, yeah.

06:56.37
Craig
It only takes like 2 minds and you add yourself as a behind-the glass observer and it’s super interesting to see what swirls out so I love that you’re pointing at that as something that you really enjoy.

06:59.59
Corey
Um, yeah.

07:07.25
Corey
Yeah, so ah, do you mind if I share a couple thoughts about that. Okay here we go nice talking to you Greg but it’s ah it’s like a it’s like a it’s like construction. It’s like your meaning construction.

07:12.31
Craig
Yeah, no, don’t say anything else. We’re going to suppress stop right here. Keep keep going.

07:24.59
Craig
None

07:26.19
Corey
Your meaning or insight construction. But you’re doing it together and you’re building it if it’s done Well you know there’s a um, ah I did graduate studies and communication studies. Interpersonal organizational that kind of thing not so much media studies but there was an ongoing debate. About whether Emergence actually happens in small group or in a personal communication or do people just come into a conversation with what they already know and the conversation just elicits what they already know or does actual. Meaning and insight Emergence happen. In other words does something new, get constructed because of the interaction that’s genuine emergence. Um, and the answer is there are people on I’m I’m an emergence guy. Yeah it happens. But um.

08:10.23
Craig
Um, and the answer is because I’m going to say emergence some people So my totally I got hundreds of examples.

08:24.58
Corey
But several people well I know but there are several people who will say I think what you’re experiencing is somebody just ah you know catalyzed what was already there. It wasn’t something that emerged because of the interaction. But I’m.

08:38.34
Craig
I can kind of I can see the case for that like I can see the case for it. But no I I am a weak conviction strongly held I’m going to say that no emergence is a thing because often people and ah you know I’m having a conversation with someone.

08:41.33
Corey
I’m totally an inter guy. Yeah.

08:51.86
Corey
Um, yeah.

08:57.69
Craig
And they’ll be talking and then suddenly it’s like they’re tapping their screen did the video lock up because Craigs over here like like it’s because I’m thinking like that’s a new yeah silence I’m not moving. It’s like I sometimes I feel like any one of those little sipping bird things. You know the Homer Simpson pressing the reset button.

09:03.77
Corey
That the poignant silence right? who.

09:16.37
Craig
I need a sipping bird on my side of the video so you know the video is still moving even though that Craig has frozen like the Craig locks up but the video’s still going. Ah yeah, yeah.

09:21.19
Corey
Um, that’s great. But yeah I’m I’m with you man I’m I’m an emergence guy to to just it feels like there are toos too many experiences in which something new that I could have never come up with you know.

09:32.52
Craig
Um, yeah, ah to me it feels like to me it feels like an embarrassment of riches I was just like yeah check this out people randomly pop into my schedule and want to have cool conversations. This is awesome. You know I mean I do a lot of work to make it happen. But um.

09:48.62
Corey
Um, yeah.

09:51.10
Craig
You know I don’t actually know when people are going to schedule in I have basically have office hours and there’s a callmbly schedule and then the lots of rules and callendly about how many in a day and I’ll close together and all that stuff. But um I just spend you know a little time every day reaching out to people like hey would you like the hey would you like that hey would you like the hundreds of people and then they just randomly pop in ones in here and there and 2 of them.

10:09.75
Corey
Yeah, but you have you have but you have kind of a you have more of a full meal deal I mean you do some more produced work and then you do this kind of engagement and um, what do you like better and why.

10:10.91
Craig
2 today I’m off on a tangent.

10:22.39
Craig
Ah, ah when you said you have ah you’re like waving your hands I Love is like serious mental disorder. Yes, that’s what I have um I like oh you know it’s like absence makes the heart grow fonder. You know that phrase. Um.

10:30.26
Corey
Um.

10:39.99
Craig
I tend to find that that whatever I haven’t done recently is the thing that I start to miss. Um, so I haven’t recently done a lot of in-person recording and I really really enjoy that. But it’s a whole different level of suckage like.

10:43.37
Corey
Um, okay. Um.

10:56.66
Craig
Show up with a £40 backpack full of stuff and it’s like hot and sweaty and then go to their house and or like we’re outdoors and I get deal with tra and it’s like this giant I once did one that was around ah like None people that I didn’t know one I know really well and then his wife that they didn’t know as well. We had this awesome conversation I knew it was gonna be great, but it was hot. We weren’t sitting in the sun because I would you know I’m like let’s move the table and it was right next to a road and there was a hill and the cars came over this little rise and they came straight down the road I’m looking at them. They’re coming directly at us and at the last second three feet from the fence. The cars would turn away. It’s like constantly in terror being hit by a car.

11:29.53
Corey
Oh my gosh.

11:34.24
Craig
So it’s like these really really challenging things that are different from when you’re recording or the internet. Um, so it’s that whole thing you people only see the positive. You know it’s like Instagram yeah, what are you seeing? Yeah, you don’t see all the work. You just see the last shot.

11:38.38
Corey
Um, okay.

11:47.63
Corey
Right.

11:49.51
Craig
Um, so for me I’m currently like I really have always really enjoyed recording in person. That’s the stuff I started doing first and I haven’t done some in a while but when I did at one point I took a road trip. Um, and I did like and 9 of them in five days driving you know twelve hundred miles.

11:55.42
Corey
Okay.

12:08.75
Craig
1 way and then I had to drive all the way back afterwards by the end of that I was like wow to stand in an air conditioned space and just face a video of camera so like it it waxes in ways. It’s like whatever you’re not doing is like the thing.

12:09.40
Corey
Um, yeah.

12:21.68
Corey
Okay, interesting.

12:23.18
Craig
So just like to circle back to your point I think what I really enjoy is having a number of different opportunities. So I do do a little bit of host on Mike with a daily quotes podcast I record them in batches by the time it’s time to do a batch I’m kind of like yeah I want to I want to put on my you know my quote voice and and then.

12:29.42
Corey
Oh.

12:39.23
Craig
At the end of that damn like we hit some enough of that but that stuff away and so I really love like the nimbleness. Maybe that’s required to do the different kinds of stuff and in the fall I’m going to a big event in the woods I’m actually outside of Seattle I’m going to a place in the cascade mountains to go to an event.

12:45.17
Corey
Um, yeah, yeah, really all standing.

12:56.90
Craig
And while I’m there I’m going to hide in a log cabin with a wood stove and do a whole bunch of interviews of all the people who are giving presentations at the event. Um and that would be super fun and at the end of it’ll be like and now I want to go home look I won a shower but so it’s the variety that I think I’m attract the two most that’s way too much of me talking.

13:03.56
Corey
All how interesting that’s right? That’s right. Yeah I know but it’s it’s helpful. It’s very cool. Ah and you got to tell me pre interview doing the interview or post producing it where are yeah Craig come on.

13:28.67
Craig
What do you mean? where am I at oh weigh each scale post all. Okay oh this through the doing it. That’s absolutely the doing it I Love the part but I I joke I’m pretty much willing to do anything to be able to get to the part where I press record like I mean.

13:31.14
Corey
Give it way at weigh each scale 1 to 10 your favorite right? pre set up doing it and post-production. Yeah, what do? what do you like the best. Okay yeah, okay.

13:48.38
Craig
I could tell stories so I’ll do almost anything to get to pressing record so that I can and then I never want to press stop. But I’ll press stop eventually? Um I hate everything after stop I hate it all with a passion I’ll do anything to cut those corners I’ll if I can spend money I spent like whatever.

13:50.25
Corey
Yeah.

13:56.18
Corey
Yeah.

14:06.16
Craig
Um, the stuff Beforehand is kind of like planning a party you’re like oh this is so much fun. You know, but it’s a pain in the butt but I’m like you know, organize the party and it’s gonna be so cool and then you press record and it’s a party and you have fun and then you press stop and you’re like who’s cleaning up this mess. Ah.

14:12.45
Corey
Yeah. Somebody else cleaned this up. Yeah oh my gosh. Oh That’s good. Well yeah, yeah, maybe you’re right? Maybe right.

14:22.14
Craig
Um, but I don’t think it’s particularly original I think everybody would say the same thing now. That’s what it means to be interested in being on the mic right? You want to be between record and stop. Otherwise it’s not fun.

14:35.21
Corey
Um, although I got to say I um, ah one of the things None of the people who I got to work with more than I didn’t have a chance to work with previously at least at this level until we did. This podcast was this amazing musician Jean Chamon his name genrement dot com and um.

14:55.33
Craig
I was going to say is he the gentleman whose voice is in the intro in the most recent episode I think so ah.

15:01.20
Corey
Yes, that’s right, he’s french and I mean he’s from from France so he’s got that french accent and um, ah, but he’s them. He’s he’s sort of the musician and became the person who did the post production on the podcast that I did. For on the verge and um, ah he he took a unique joy in constructing that really well I mean the actual quality of what we did was about.

15:39.55
Craig
Um, yeah, well, there’s something to be said for whoop who polished it at the end right? yeah.

15:39.76
Corey
12 points less until John got in touch with it. You know what? I mean oh it’s incredible. Yeah, so anyway he has a special art with that I think there are some people who like that space.

15:53.42
Craig
Oh absolutely. Absolutely There are people who who I’ve talked to who are really good in the post-production space and look at what I do and then just go like whoa. You know I mean like I’m just like oh yeah I mean.

15:57.25
Corey
Yeah.

16:07.55
Corey
Yeah.

16:09.41
Craig
Ah, just line them up. You know, like how many these can I do in today. It’s limited by how many people there are like just bring it on. Um I could do this all day because I have done it all day not literally today but I have had days where I have spent the entire day just doing conversations and at the end of it I’m just like I am exhausted but that’s awesome. You know like what’s for dinner. Um.

16:13.23
Corey
Um, yeah.

16:23.00
Corey
Um, wow.

16:28.89
Craig
And and people look at that and go how I don’t know how do you not? I’m like I don’t know the same way that you do the thing that you do that I can’t wrap my brain around so there’s definitely like the right tool for the right right? tool for the job sort of mentality with people not just with physical tools or technology.

16:34.96
Corey
Um, yeah. Um, yeah, yeah, amen that’s cool today. The challenge is what do I do with it next. So um.

16:47.14
Craig
What’s a challenge for you with your show today.

16:56.70
Craig
That’s a challenge every day but keep going.

16:57.78
Corey
I know I know but in particular um, the I I hosted this podcast for the previous organization I worked with the northwest coast presbyteria and then I moved I shifted roles to another. Part of I serve in the Presbyterian Church Usa and ah I’m now working with our national ah church agency. So um, we we basically left the ownership and rights with the previous organization. Ah, although they would be happy to just give it to me. Um, so. So I’m not sure where to I’m not sure what the next step would be what kind of incarnation this will become so and I haven’t figured that out yet. So all that is to say that’s the challenge right now. Yeah yeah.

17:41.66
Craig
Figuring out What’s next you know you can have more than one bicycle. There’s a big story behind that I am a bit of I’m I’m not a long distance bicycle nut but I have biked a lot and I had a really good friend at you stone A really big bike store and I had a.

17:51.85
Corey
That’s right.

17:57.58
Corey
Um, yeah.

18:00.33
Craig
Ah, bike that had so many miles out there like the ship of thebes kind of they know original parts left and he and he looks at me like you know instead of upgrading this bicycle like a ship of thebes you can have more than one bike because most people who are into bicycling have multiple bikes and they have arguments. Um and I wound up buying another bike. But.

18:03.62
Corey
Um, yeah.

18:10.15
Corey
Um, there you go? yeah.

18:17.50
Craig
I distinctly remember the point where I went you know I could just make another podcast like and the answer to my problem was like there are things about yeah the current show that I don’t want to get rid of I want to hold that door. You know I want to be like keep my foot in that someone was like yeah Cory just go make another show that serves the next thing and.

18:21.64
Corey
Um, well let’s just do that. Yeah, that’s great.

18:33.85
Corey
Okay, well there you go all right problem solved challenge overcome what’s next Craig that’s great.

18:35.49
Craig
Do 2 Yeah, that’s god you don’t know where I live because you’re not going to show up and beat me for having because that’s a heart now you got because you know the astronomers will say everything is there are None and then.

18:47.54
Corey
I.

18:54.75
Craig
N as an infinite number of things like there is nothing if I have 1 example I have one soon as I find 2 I know there’s a large number 0 one n podcasting the same way 0 podcast one podcast n gets out of hand anyway, way too much Craig buck in this episode.

19:02.30
Corey
And.

19:10.43
Corey
Infinity and beyond. Oh no, this is fun. Ah, just that it’s um, doing this work is can be playful.

19:14.75
Craig
Ah, any parting words.

19:28.12
Corey
And um, ah and giving others the opportunity to listen in when insight happens is a pretty cool thing. So Thank you for doing it. Thanks everybody out there for giving it a go and thanks for thinking I contributed something I appreciate it.

19:55.72
Craig
Terrific. Um, yeah, that’s awesome that I mean that’s nice. Nice.

19:57.53
Corey
That’s it and thanks for the thanks for the um, you know when you reach out and you say hey do you want to have a conversation it just it’s just kind of like yeah Craig let’s have a conversation.

20:11.23
Craig
Yeah, it’s and it’s been getting easier than oh my God Geez stop can’t knock it off. Um, but.

20:14.40
Corey
I Don’t know I feel better about myself in the world because you asked if I wanted to have a conversation. So thanks for doing that? No, but seriously I bet you? yeah so there you go Thank you.

20:24.96
Craig
Well thank you very much for saying that. Thank you very much for taking the time. Um, and yeah, when you said playful I was like man we just kind of made a very playful episode with no particular in like in preconceived structure or preconceived notions. Anyway, I’m rambling. You were supposed to have the last word so I will just say thanks so much for taking the time today Cory it was a distinct pleasure Thanks.

20:46.49
Corey
You’re welcome amen. It was a distinct pleasure for me too. Take care, Craig.