Transcript for "Discovery - with Mašanauskaitė and Szalucka"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:01.79
Anna Szaucka
Hello I am Anna Showzka

00:04.51
Monika Masanauskaite
And hi everyone I’m Monica Marnosketer I guess we have to speak more right.

00:10.42
podcomm
Hi. Thank you ladies for? no, it’s golden. No no I mean you can you’re more than welcome to um, one of the things I enjoy watching is there’s like ah um, a relay race of you know like I say hello and then I can see when. Anna here’s me and then she’s speak like the the delays show up, you know, but how amazing is it right? You you got are you both in Vienna Monica I know you’re in Vienna where Anna where are you.

00:29.31
Monika Masanauskaite
Oh yes.

00:36.66
Monika Masanauskaite
I’m in Vienna and Anna in isn’t some weird country right? Which which no one goes to.

00:40.52
Anna Szaucka
Um, I’m in Alalia It’s not a weird it just ice.

00:42.69
podcomm
Um, it’s not weird and normally normally it’s the american who goes where are you in some weird country. Um I don’t know where Albany is I’ll just out myself. But I’ll I’ll get a map. Um.

00:48.91
Monika Masanauskaite
And.

00:54.30
Anna Szaucka
Um, or albangia is just just next to Greece It’s like I see Greece from my balcony. So it’s like so close. Yeah, it’s good. Ah be so.

00:59.71
podcomm
Oh say have the view but you don’t have the economic chaos Nice play. Oh.

01:10.23
Anna Szaucka
About ah we have power outages on a regular basis. So um, hopefully the power doesn’t go out now and you know I keep my wi-fi.

01:17.73
podcomm
Um, so before as if Henry listens to the show you know before we start recording. We talk a little bit and when I asked you guys about podcasting. We headed off to talk about selfdiscovery or self-improvement and i.

01:26.97
Anna Szaucka
Um, and.

01:37.52
podcomm
Don’t often hear podcasters talk about that I know that um podcasters are aware that podcasting is this journey of learning. Um, but I was surprised to hear Anna say that you’re using it as a self it really feels like a form of self-development for you. So when we start. Talking about podcasting I love that you put it words in your mouth I love that you guys are using podcasting as a way to improve yourselves. So was there a point where you realized that you were podcasting and it was helping you improve or. Was it self-improvement from the very beginning.

02:15.64
Anna Szaucka
I think it’s just that for me personally, it’s just a change of mindset. So I just you know started to listen to a lot of podcasts and as we spoke before I’m a little bit late to the party. So I’ve been discovering really this format. Since I think Monka since since you started your open arted podcast and I actually started listening to it and I thought oh this is so so cool and I realized how much I’m learning. You know after a few months I realized I’m exposed to so many different. Worldviews and and so many different ah aspects of um, people’s lives and I just felt you know a big improvement in my mindset never day life.

02:57.86
Monika Masanauskaite
Yeah I thought about what we did during our piano face project and actually we decided to record every single day our process you know we just had the discussion with Anna. I mean it was not podcast. Ah ah, format. It was vlogging but I still consider that we just talked talked and it was live and we would so we did the project in five days and every day we played twice in the museum. It was like an installation. We played the same piece and we played it 9 times in total and people could just come in and see us they could leave when they wanted Basically we were just like an exhibition. You know we were not a ah concert.

03:35.29
podcomm
Oh neat.

03:49.65
Monika Masanauskaite
And it was very interesting for us because we couldn’t meet and and and rehearse this piece. It’s a piano phase by Steve Reisch american composer and we just I think Anna you came up with this idea that let’s just ah, do a little vlog every day and see what happens. And I think we were for 5 or 7 days we were talking every day and we figured it figured out so much. So I think for me podcasting is about learning from myself if I can say that I don’t know when you know I did all the open arted episodes I learned. A lot about myself. What I what I love in the profession in the classical music world because the the podcast is about that. But also I learned from others. So yes, again I came back to learning.

04:40.82
Anna Szaucka
Um.

04:42.24
podcomm
Um, did you So I just want to be like were you both in the space playing together right? So you’re you’re physically playing in person.

04:50.82
Anna Szaucka
Yes, so we are both classical so we are both classical pianists. And yeah we came out with this project last year and we we performed it in venus in the more musico which is ah ah, very ah, very cool.

04:50.99
Monika Masanauskaite
A yes.

05:10.40
Anna Szaucka
And a very well-known. Ah contemporary arts museum in Witania and yeah, we just collaborate as 2 pianists as a sort of piano duo. But although we are classical musicians classical pianists. We want to use this opportunity to create music installation.

05:27.51
podcomm
Um.

05:28.87
Anna Szaucka
Which means we want to present a new format of a classical music concert to the audience. So. It’s a liberal way of of presenting presenting it so people can move freely in the space they can you know interact with us. At all times. So um, that was really something something new for um.

05:50.13
podcomm
I have 2 thoughts one is can you play while talking to someone else like if someone walks up to you and says what are you playing or what are you doing? What do you have for lunch. Can you actually continue to play a duet while like does that work because um, that will be astounding.

05:55.10
Anna Szaucka
Um.

05:58.66
Monika Masanauskaite
Um.

06:06.70
Monika Masanauskaite
It’s ah it’s a very good question because I think it might work but not with this piece because this piece is like on the one hand it’s it’s very easy and for our skills as classical musicians. It’s almost you know. Nothing to do. You could think like that. But then because the thing is that we actually play only one little motive for 20 minutes okay maybe 2 or 3 but they are very similar and we repeat them because this is like a minimalistic music. And the thing is that if you if you lose your it’s it’s like a brain hack I don’t know it’s since you are repeating the same thing at some point your brain shuts down and then you are you don’t really control anymore what you’re doing so you you. Even though it’s easy to repeat the same thing. But if you are if you lose this flow. You can very easily ah, kind of you know, lose everything. So it’s actually quite complicated.

07:11.55
podcomm
That’s interesting that you bring up I was thinking it sounds like you’re describing flow and then you use the exact word. Um, yeah I always you guys haven’t ever been on a recording with me I go like this and I lock up because I have so many like oh I got 900 questions I want to ask all these threads I want to pull on.

07:25.88
Monika Masanauskaite
Um.

07:29.19
podcomm
Um, I was going to ask before I was thinking I Wonder what other opportunities have um, have appeared like having done like a micro podcast project a microcollaborion with each other. Um. Wonder what? What other opportunities have arisen. So here’s here’s a twofer. Do you want to answer that question or do you want to talk more about the flow state and what happens wart like I’m betting that if you work on a piece enough. You can get into the flow state just playing a solo and how might that flow state of Solo performance.

07:48.59
Anna Szaucka
Here.

08:03.96
podcomm
Different from flow state with a second person involved so 2 completely different questions to which one do you want to answer what opportunities have you found having done the project and what about flow state solo versus duet with flow.

08:15.23
Anna Szaucka
Um I think it will be interesting to maybe talk about the opportunities that ah that came up with the project because that that was I think more more life changing I think in terms of playing whether we play solo or with another person or with more people. It’s.

08:21.24
podcomm
Cool. Go go go oops.

08:34.69
Anna Szaucka
Ultimately, probably a similar experience still.

08:38.40
podcomm
So opportunities.

08:41.30
Anna Szaucka
Um, so opportunities. Ah no, no, you say you said? um so with opportunity.

08:40.30
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, yeah, so I think I wanted to oh sorry I know you go you go I just wanted to say that.

08:54.31
Anna Szaucka
You suck I delay you go Modica you go. Okay I go first and then I hand it over? Um, so ah, this is funny. That’s how that’s not how we play chamber music. Hopefully we’re ah more synmronized.

08:56.16
podcomm
I’m just sitting here watching you guys figure it out I.

08:57.53
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, are you girlfriends.

09:13.78
Anna Szaucka
So I think basically I don’t know if it’s about opportunities but it’s about the mindset that changed after ah we organized and performed this music installation in view news because I don’t think we expected something in particular I Don’t think we had something you know. Um, very concrete in mind. But um, it just opened our eyes to who our audience is you know young people were very Interested. They came asking questions and you know we live in this sort of worldview that the young people are not interested in classical music. But it’s not true. Ah it is just not accessible to them so we just started to think how we can make it more accessible So we tried to keep it. You know free for the audience and um. In order to do it. We also set up like a little fundraising page which you can find on ah http://monicapianisted.com if you go to this website. You’ll be able to find the piano face project page and and and the link to support us so we can bring this project to more countries and. Perhaps even around the world and and keep it free and accessible to audiences of all backgrounds.

10:32.46
Monika Masanauskaite
Yeah, so I just wanted to add that you know besides this ah playing in the museum as I said before we actually talked it a lot and then the documentary which we film doing the project consists of 20 minutes of interview. Between us Anna and me and then 20 minutes ah of life playing so this was like the last performance we did and the half of the documentary you can call it like that is about our ah takeaways from that project. So I think you know. By talking. We actually came up with a lot of ideas where we could go what we could do. How could we connect with audience. So yes I can’t remember the question but I hope I answered it.

11:22.71
Anna Szaucka
Um.

11:24.34
podcomm
Opportunities Oh well like because I asked like a really wacky two-part question but we were We were following the threat of opportunities and I’ve I’ve heard um I’m going to say a lot of people not just podcasters but a lot of people that I’ve talked to on my podcast.

11:29.10
Monika Masanauskaite
And.

11:43.59
podcomm
I’ve heard a lot of people say I went to work on something and wow I found all these other things and I think there’s a really I’m going to say amazing thing that happens when you when you stop and. Talk to somebody else about you know I did this and then they go you did what and then and like when you begin to explain what you have done and why you did it and how you did it. The other person goes hey that’s amazing or did you think about you know, trying it on the other side or you know they they they offer you this mirror. So I think your your. Point about we did a documentary and we talked about it and you you made the point about how much that surprised you and what you discovered I’ve seen a lot of and it’s happened to me too I’ve seen that happen a lot and I think that says something about maybe the opposite or the counterpoint to flow. Like when you’re in the flow state. You can do a really good caliber of work. You can really you know do all the things that we know about flow but there’s something to be said for also finding somebody else who has the same understanding of the flow state in that same thing. So the conversation that 2 penists have. Is going to be very different than you know like if I walk up and say oh that’s really cool. Can you play Beethoven or something like you know you’re not going to get the same type of self-discovery out of it so we started at the very beginning talking about self-development and now we’ve gone to talk about flow and working together and i’m. I’m wondering if you have any insights about if I try to develop myself through work I’m going to have a certain kind of experience a certain amount of growth that I can achieve. But if I’m able to find somebody else who’s maybe we say on the same journey or who’s got the same passion. Um. If. You had any insights about the difference between like working at a mastery level on your own and working on a mastery level with somebody who’s got the same ah passion have you ever thought about the difference in that kind of solo versus duet. Um, I’m watching them decide who’s answering yeah people like what’s a pregnant silence you going to rock rock paper scissor sport.

13:54.56
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, ah okay I go.

13:58.50
Anna Szaucka
Um, okay I will ah you go monnika, you go.

14:05.54
Monika Masanauskaite
Ah I think it’s a super interesting point you touched because you know there are thousands of pianists on this planet in this planet and really I think we have this flow with honor and it’s so funny.

14:12.14
Anna Szaucka
Are.

14:24.95
Monika Masanauskaite
Because we we actually met very accidentally but playing wise it was kind of clear since the beginning that it works for us. We have a so same touch. We have same breathing. But once we started. Ah, doing these vlogs and then the interview which you will see in the documentary something really weird happened because like I would never have courage to say things which I have courage to say when I’m with Anna and somehow the conversation just flows and then you know we.

14:43.39
Anna Szaucka
Are.

15:00.66
Monika Masanauskaite
We actually discovered new levels of I don’t know philosophy or whatever. But and somehow we we become? Ah, ah, courageous together much more when we are alone and some things I would just I think I could never pull it off if I wouldn’t be with Anna. So. That’s my point of view.

15:20.84
Anna Szaucka
Um, yeah I think ah pulling off is actually a good way to to put it in a way that I feel I feel the same way and I’m actually discovering it. Um, you know in the recent weeks and months more and more that. I think I always try to do things on my own and and you know also as a classical pianist. You know they always tell you you have to be a soloist. Um, all of that. Ah, so you’re inevitably you know, practicing on your own trying to achieve things on their own. But. As a team. There is just so much more you can do because I think ultimately someone’s just got your back and you’re not afraid of rejection because there is always this other person or persons that are in the project with you So You’re not afraid of of rejection of failure because you’re a team.

15:58.11
podcomm
You.

16:12.00
Anna Szaucka
Ah, there is someone that that’s ah whom you can trust who got who who has got your back and ah it just for me it like boosts my productivity and boosts my possibilities by like a thousand percent you know so I’m like with Monnika I’m like. Yeah, like let’s do it. Let’s do it tomorrow I’m not afraid I’m not even that double thinking you know, no doubts I can just go.

16:39.86
podcomm
So so what’s next like what’s the next thing like the literal next thing that you guys are doing together.

16:40.19
Monika Masanauskaite
Um.

16:47.78
Monika Masanauskaite
Ah, actually next week so I’m not sure when this is going live but next week so the twenty third September we are performing in the opening events of european ah. Capital for culture and it’s happening in my hometown because my hometown becomes this capital capital for culture this next year and and yes we are trying to bring this piano face project to to Europe we want to travel ah through ah museums. This project probably we go to London this is our our closest goal and yes, you can support our journey by visiting the the page Anna mentioned and of course you know. Watch documentary and I really I really hope that you will get inspired because I get inspired when I watch it.

17:47.58
Anna Szaucka
Um.

17:51.23
podcomm
I think that the whole point or the whole idea about having I always call it a cohort in crime just to make it like a fun negative sounding thing but having that other person to share your passion with is like. Job zero like I mean you can you can be really bad at something. But if you find somebody else who is on the same journey with you then like you said nana that’s a huge multiplier. Um there’s an aspect to so I believe it’s in all performance artwork but in podcasting in particular all the podcasters have imposter syndrome. And I think the the cure for imposter syndrome is like the fifteen thousandth time that you say to that passionate person I’m not sure about this and they go are you crazy. That’s awesome like that other person saying that that’s like the cure. That’s that’s your it’s really hard to get out of your head. And to not you know, have the same thoughts go around or like well how do I really know that this is any good but having that other person say yeah, that’s that’s better than good. Let’s do more of that I think that’s a great takeaway I think more people people listening more podcasters um should find someone even if it’s just have a Zoom call you know and chew the fat as we say um.

19:00.88
Anna Szaucka
Um, and you know we are tribal creatures at the end of the day. So I think being in a in a sort of tribe for well maybe not all of the humans but 99.9 percent of us is just.

19:07.40
podcomm
Ah.

19:19.22
Anna Szaucka
It’s just better. You know you always find that old person who just prefers a dungeon on their own. But for most of us It’s just easier to be in a team.

19:19.24
podcomm
They ask social.

19:25.42
podcomm
Right? Yes, all right ladies I Think that’s a good place to call it a session and like I said I say to everybody we can do more of these you can do them again. Um, so I thank you very much for taking the time to.

19:24.43
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, this.

19:37.32
Monika Masanauskaite
Um.

19:43.42
podcomm
Hop on a call and talk to me.

19:43.69
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, yes, thank you so much.

19:45.36
Anna Szaucka
Um, thank you very much for having us I.

19:51.89
podcomm
Bye.

19:50.89
Monika Masanauskaite
Um, but.

19:56.82
Monika Masanauskaite
Are.