Transcript for "Creativity - with Teresa Mitchell"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine hi Teresa as I say to almost everybody. It’s a pleasure I’m always super excited I love talking to other people about podcasting mostly because everybody that I know who’s into podcasting is super passionate and that just makes everything.

00:01.72
Teresa Mitchell
Hi I’m Teresa Mitchell

00:18.51
podcomm
Makes all the conversations more Fun. We had a little chat before we started and we were talking about Creativity. Um, and I I make a couple little notes just to try and help keep my train of thought and you mentioned self-expression as one of the things. Maybe the thing if I remember your words correctly. That made you take up podcasting and dive into it. So Do you remember the moment if there was a particular one. Do you remember the moment where you saw podcasting as a vehicle for self-expression.

00:52.84
Teresa Mitchell
Honestly I think ever since I listened to my first podcast I thought it seemed like an awesome idea the issue for me was I just retired as a certified financial planner at the end of last year and it’s a heavily. Regulated industry so there certainly are advisors that are doing podcasts. But um, you know for a lot of firms. It’s just yeah, absolutely. So Um I think.

01:21.00
podcomm
A tightrope.

01:29.21
Teresa Mitchell
For me I I think I was kind of born I was born a creative person I was in the kitchen cooking before I could read um I was what I should say I was and am an incredible daydreamer and. I Even used to draw fashion designs to go with my daydreams. You know as to what people would wear when I was Imagining. Um.

01:54.49
podcomm
Um.

02:03.83
Teresa Mitchell
Unfortunately, it did not go over overly well with my parents or at school. Um, but I persevered anyway and I was a theater major in college and um, but ended up flipping back to cooking which I would have to say. I love podcasting but probably my life passion is food and cooking. So um I was a professional chef for 15 years until the financial reality set in and I just realized it was um. A lot of work for low pay and just not sustainable.

02:40.22
podcomm
Not a career with an exit strategy so you you were saying that you’ve always seen podcasting but possible. You’ve always thought podcasting could be a creative outlet. Um, how long did it take you from like when you basically had your freedom from. The financial industry to you’re realizing you wanted to focus on that as I’m going to say your first project because most podcasters eventually do more than 1.

03:08.16
Teresa Mitchell
Um, well I retired at the end of December I started my financial coaching business lady money at the end of January and I started. Um I became a member of pod 7 the podcasting workshop in February so and I launched lady money the podcast in may so I didn’t waste a lot of time getting into it.

03:36.91
podcomm
Do you find that is there something about audio that made that that either either makes it be ah, a really good vehicle for delivering the content you want I mean in 1 hand it’s ah, an inverted funnel like it makes it easier to broadcast to a larger audience then. You’d be able to line up in a schedule to show up in your office but is there something about the audio medium that you think makes it easier for conveying financial information or is there something about the people you’re trying to reach that are more approachable that way just kind of like digging into like why’d you like why didn’t you write a blog or why didn’t you write? a.

04:09.49
Teresa Mitchell
Right.

04:12.39
podcomm
Book or why didn’t you you know, starting your memoirs.

04:14.39
Teresa Mitchell
Um, that is a really good question and to be honest Craig I probably should have thought about all of those but um, my last job in the culinary industry was for a dot com. And this was back in the early two thousand s so it was http://earlier.com and yeah and I used to think of it as the wild wild west because I mean nobody was quite sure how anything worked. The server was always.

04:35.93
podcomm
The heyday.

04:51.52
Teresa Mitchell
Crashing You didn’t really know Honestly, you didn’t really know what you were doing but it was a whole lot of fun and you were doing it with some really exciting people so that was just an incredible time in my life of course the company didn’t make it and um.

04:55.62
podcomm
Right.

05:10.69
Teresa Mitchell
You know I ended up having to move on but podcasting to me my perception is a very new industry and 1 of the things I don’t know I guess I was always trying to be good and play by the rules and so. Podcasting just seems so exciting because I feel I feel like I can break the rules I feel like I can do absolutely anything I want and even though I’m inexperienced I’m really get bogged down in some of the technical aspects and. Either have great experiences or crash and burn when I’m interviewing because I just haven’t done it enough times I just absolutely love it. Love the people loved the podcasting workshop. Love you love the groups that I’ve continued to be part of.

05:50.89
podcomm
He sure.

06:07.80
Teresa Mitchell
Just I don’t know good bad. It’s just fabulous.

06:13.44
podcomm
Yeah, and so your energy and your passion is obviously readily like so I’ve I’ve spent enough time talking with you to know that you’re deeply intelligent And. Ah, very good at communicating financial information like I can just see that like yeah, you’re clearly good at that. But when you start talking about podcasting the the sparks fly out of your fingertips and and like the passion comes through So Let me I’m going to ask you I don’t I don’t often try to ask really hard questions but let me ask you ah a difficult question. And which I don’t have a good answer for just to be fair. Um, is there something about podcasting that most people would disagree with you about so something important that you think is true that you think other people would disagree with you about.

07:06.46
Teresa Mitchell
Well I think there’s been a lot of discussion among those of us that are getting started about the time that it takes you know the steep learning curve and just just the time learning something major.

07:17.41
podcomm
Right? The learning clef.

07:24.86
Teresa Mitchell
It’s new and the value. Especially if you’re in business and using it in conjunction with that. Um I read something and I recently and I can’t remember where that is but it gave me a new perspective I’ve been very focused on Success. Maybe in some ways I’ve I’ve had successes but maybe feel like I’ve not really ever reached my full potential and that’s something I I Really want to do and so I know but.

07:50.37
podcomm
Particular point. Yeah.

08:00.55
Teresa Mitchell
Yeah, it’s a problem that it takes a lot of time and it’s sort of bumping me off some of the effort that I would I would put into the actual what I’m actually doing is financial coaching for women but the idea is failure and success. They’re part of the same thing. You know I’m trying to wrap my brain around that but it’s starting to really make sense and so I’m trying to not take failure too seriously. But I’m also trying to do the same thing for success and feel like. You know this isn’t very original but it it really is the Journey. It’s the day-to-day experience and that for me has been sterling Platinum Amazing. So I just look at it in a different.

08:45.80
podcomm
And.

08:53.40
Teresa Mitchell
Way and I feel like there aren’t a lot of avenues for deep connection and for self-expression in our world any longer and podcasting is one of those rare things that allows you to do both I think really? Well. So I Guess if people disagreed with me especially business owners. You know, ah about the time versus the value I would have to say maybe look a little deeper because I think if you are in the service Industry. It’s a really great show.

09:14.79
podcomm
Um.

09:27.39
podcomm
Um, that’s a really good answer I think you touched on ah a number of of insightful points there and so as you were talking about um, seeing that.

09:28.61
Teresa Mitchell
Showcase for your humanity.

09:45.79
podcomm
As a journey like instead of seeing it as a dichotomy of success versus failure or even a spectrum of success versus Failure. My brain leapt to do people make the same type of mistake like seeing a false dichotomy when it comes to their financial planning like. Yeah I’m wondering if it’s true because I’m not the most organized financial guy. Um, sometimes I think I really didn’t I should have done. You know oh I made this mistake or that’s and I tend to fall into this black and white way of thinking about financial planning and I’m just wondering. Maybe some of your viewpoint on how you’re seeing podcasting. Maybe that’s actually coming out of the way that you’re coaching with financial planning I’m totally guessing but I’m just wondering if you see any parallels there with maybe the things that you’re trying to teach and share in financial Context. And the things that you’re realizing about podcasting.

10:43.26
Teresa Mitchell
You know this is a generalization but there’s a real difference between having a target audience of men versus women in what I’m trying to do a lot of women’s issue is confidence and the fact that. Socially, we’ve continued to have the financial aspects you know, be in the mail domain. So a lot of what I’m doing with the podcast is just trying to talk in a normal conversational way about.

11:16.20
podcomm
Moon.

11:19.32
Teresa Mitchell
A lot of things that we all should be talking about but because money is so taboo we don’t so and just you know, kind of get women to relax around it and realize it’s not Rocket science. It’s really basically common sense and the big mistakes.

11:22.93
podcomm
Ray.

11:38.78
Teresa Mitchell
Men or women. It’s not the little ones. The little ones we can all survive. It’s the big ones. It’s the it’s the repetitive ones or or the lack of doing something you know saving for retirement is simple if you start soon enough. Um, because basically during the working years. It’s all about how much you save you know, given what kind of lifestyle you want later on and in retirement. It’s about how much you spend you know whether you’re you’re thoughtful about that. So that’s really just. Not paying attention to the long-term planning is probably you know there are a lot of it’s it’s fun. You know like the 7 big you know, common financial mistakes and there’s a million articles on that. But. Truth be told just live within your means save something and do it for a long time and it kind of boils down to that.

12:33.85
podcomm
Yeah, the miracle of Miracle of Interest. Um, do you? Um, do you find that there are you get any pushback from other people I want to say in the financial industry but it kind of depends On. Where you were actually in financial and that kind of thing but have you gotten any pushback from people about like don’t share it like so it seems to me, you’re making financial discussions you’re making this information Super approachable. Um, and yet your target audience is is specific but you’re making it super approachable. Are you do you get any pushback from financial industry about that like well you’re oversimplifying it or you know your’re you know don’t don’t give away the the stuff that we’re trying to sell you know for a high premium.

13:21.12
Teresa Mitchell
No, they’re actually my biggest cheerleaders because it’s exactly what they don’t have time to do you know when you’re when you’re as a financial planner when you’re working with a client you absolutely ask them what their goals are you know the the money is a means to an end. So.

13:26.72
podcomm
Um.

13:39.88
Teresa Mitchell
What you’re trying to do with that money has to do with the heart of the financial plan and how you design the investment portfolio but in terms of getting people to the level of having a basic understanding so that they can be a real partner. With the advisor you know the advisors just don’t have the time to spend on that. So um, most of my clients you know I’m just starting out but most of them I’ve gotten as referrals from financial advisors and the feedback I get is they’re a static because suddenly. Um, one was a ah recent widow and so she came in for her next meeting with her advisor and and was much more engaged and would say oh Teresa said that or yeah I discussed that with Teresa so yeah so it’s

14:30.66
podcomm
I Have this question right.

14:36.88
Teresa Mitchell
That part is is really I was a little surprised actually.

14:39.16
podcomm
That’s high praise that’s high praise I mean you know it’s one the the hey you should try this thing. That’s like the highest compliment for you know to the person who made the thing that’s like as good as it gets. So if you’re getting people who are the you know in the industry who know. And they’re saying yeah I think that’s high praise. Um are there I was gonna say do you feel like you’ve already stuck yourself in a groove like have you had ideas for other shows that you want to create at this point like if you thought I really want to you know capture my ideas about cooking because. For me as soon as I I did like 1 kind of show and I started working in a certain kind of medium and I was talking to certain kinds of people and it didn’t take me very long before I started having ideas for what look like completely different things but from the podcast or creator’s point of view. It’s like oh man once you figure out. How to do this There’s so many ways you can go with it. So if you had any like completely ortogonal ideas that you’re currently sitting on like oh I don’t have time for that.

15:41.23
Teresa Mitchell
I Feel like I may be a little inexperienced that the the venues I’ve chosen I do both interviews and host on mic and for anybody that’s listening that doesn’t know I would say a monologue or you know, just ah, a solo venture. Um.

15:54.44
podcomm
Right.

16:00.78
Teresa Mitchell
So I feel like I have a lot to learn just about the first round but I will have to say I’ve had this longtime idea and I don’t know if I could pull it into podcasting but of combining it being sort of half you know financial help and half cooking show with an idea like you’d bring in. Somebody and you know the the first part of it. You talk a little bit about financial mistakes or you know what they had learned and then you drag somebody that is not a chef you know into a kitchen to to make popovers or or something. Um I even thought. Wow, it would really be good to like team up with Susie Orman or you know something like that where you could sort of have banter back and forth. So I really think I think we need to shake it up honestly I do feel. It’s a little limited having it all about financial. You know topics. So I do pull in mindfulness because I think that’s the ultimate goal is for people to live an amazing purposeful life and in order to do that you have to have financial control of your situation and that’s the stress buster that allows you to focus. On you know your family and community and your sense of purpose. So um I do that. But I think I’m doing it in too cautious a way I really like the idea of mixing things up because I I think that’s what people do in real life.

17:29.72
podcomm
Yeah I think that um I’m torn between taking the time to explain a movie scene that I saw where they they did just that with ah ah, a grizzled grumpy Harrison Ford character who. Played a news anchor you know 40 years in the business alcoholic and they stick him on a morning show with a host that he just can’t stand I forget what it’s called and the host eventually manages to win him over and in like the denumement of the movie he cooks frittatas for them. And you get this experience of and that this that had nothing to do with financial has to do with this old news guy. You know like he’s been like in war-torn frontline reporting. Um, but he’s making ah you know that’s like Cratepes. He’s making this food and he’s doing this as if he’s you know making it for his family in his home and. At the same time they were having a conversation that was actually meaningful about what is journalism and what’s the point of a morning show and that flashed into my mind because you clearly light up when you talk about cooking and when you talk about financial planning and. When you put the 2 of them together in your head just now like you sat up straight and your hands appeared in the frame and like it was just like oh that’s a thing so that will be out soon. So I just think you’re you’re really onto something with finding ways to I mean sometimes it gets tried to say creatively combine things but like. Really have interesting ideas about how to creatively combine. Um, ah, what’s normally a very dry most would say boring topic related to money and financial planning. Um I don’t think it’s boring but a lot of people I believe do with you know your passion and your spark. So I think. You’re on the right track. Please you know, go go go as they say cool. All right? Well, let’s let’s call it there as much as I hate to ever stop? Um, the goal here is to try and keep them short so people can get them swallowed. Ah.

19:26.14
Teresa Mitchell
That makes sense.

19:29.21
podcomm
So thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to join me and I hope you have a great rest of your day.

19:35.48
Teresa Mitchell
I’d love to thank you. It was really fun, really enjoyed talking to you Craig.