Transcript for "Creativity - with Dave Swillum"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine hi Dave pleasure I’m going to say to meet you one of the things I love most about this show. Is it aside from 0 to 60 It’s a quarter mile drag race ah the guest space is also doing the same thing. So I’ve I’ve already.

00:01.89
_davewakeup
Um, and I’m Dave Swillum

00:17.71
podcomm
Had a chance to interview a person who I hadn’t interviewed like I knew this person for years and I’m like they don’t really fit on this other show that I have and I’m like oh that person fits on these new show. So I put her on or or she was kind enough to join me and that of course she said you got to talk to Dave so it’s like Dave and I just met. We’re like geeking out over microphones and stuff which is great. Um.

00:25.50
_davewakeup
Totally.

00:34.36
_davewakeup
All day all day.

00:37.90
podcomm
We do yeah all day except when you’re supposed to be working on the the object prey behind you that you’re like we’ll get to that. Um, you should be working on your project not talking to me. But so we do this little Pre- warm up conversation and I basically say to people podcast and then what comes out is what we wind up talking about and you.

00:45.73
_davewakeup
Yeah, yeah.

00:56.49
podcomm
Brought up that your perception your opinion I Totally agree your opinion is that podcasting is this Egalitarian my word um medium and of like access barrier. Keeps press record and I totally agree with you and and you had things to say about and I cut you off because like wait. We’re not recording So when you started talking about podcast as um, ah, a vehicle or a communication Channel. Can you take me through like what you see podcast.

01:15.87
_davewakeup
Um, yeah.

01:28.55
podcomm
Being able to enable us to do.

01:30.20
_davewakeup
Yeah, and yeah I’ll I’ll totally get like jazzed up on a ah topic and then like go So you’re right to stop me from from talking because once I’m like pumped I’m like after it. Yeah, you should yeah use it use it but ah yeah, ah you asked me that.

01:38.35
podcomm
I get I get a mute button I.

01:47.84
_davewakeup
Direct like that I think that’s an awesome question to ask people who are on this show because it’s weird to be asked it like directly because a lot of people I’m sure are podcasters or they’re into podcasting in some way and they’re like well of course like we’re way past why I like podcasting and they’re living it. But it’s like.

02:03.40
podcomm
Yeah.

02:05.39
_davewakeup
You ask me just that and I think about it and I I work with podcasters and and creatives for me podcast doing is is right that first piece that you said where it is a the barrier to entry to communicate. Is not there with like it’s starting. There’s there’s definitely stuff happening with ah conglomerates buying podcasting and things just like there’s Tv coming in to buy up streaming services. They they it took them time of podcasting being out there Youtube being out there things being out that are.

02:26.53
podcomm
Yeah, there’s some fracturing.

02:39.37
_davewakeup
Content that people are putting hours into and interacting with and that’s their Tv or that’s their radio. It took these bigger things time to come in but I don’t think that it’s going to take away our ability to use these technologies that are just much simpler to use to streamline communication.

02:43.35
podcomm
Um, dream.

02:58.91
_davewakeup
To people just like we are right now we’re uncensored we’re able to take our direct thoughts put them out there regardless of what anyone else says and that’s it and that’s part of this new I think age and time that we’re living in is this new really real.

03:00.93
podcomm
Yes.

03:16.61
_davewakeup
Way to streamline real thoughts and conversation with technology whether that’s podcasting Youtube etc. All this stuff going on. So.

03:21.65
podcomm
Yeah I couldn’t agree with you more? Um, thanks for being on the show today. Dave was push no no take the and Mike drop no don’t drop my mic. Um, the.

03:27.86
_davewakeup
Um, ah I’m out.

03:38.50
podcomm
So there like there are so many ways to to talk about like what you know want to watch people fight. Ask you know, get 3 podcasts are together ask them what podcasting and get like 7 opinions like what is podcasting there. There’s like all these different things. There’s like technical definitions. There’s Rss. There’s enclosures and all and I think it’s more interesting I mean I think all that’s interesting too.

03:48.23
_davewakeup
Um, yeah.

03:57.22
podcomm
But I think it’s more interesting to look at it from like the point of view that you’re raising which is um like playing field level barriers none go like yeah ah and what I’m seeing um and not not just from the perspective of my show and and Dave’s nodding vigorously for those of you at home or like 1 of the video that.

04:10.53
_davewakeup
I am I’m into it.

04:15.21
podcomm
Now What’s happening is the people who have things to say are like stuck for other reasons. So um, mad props to you for not being one of the guests who has imposter syndrome Most of the people that I reach out to they’re like oh little old me you want to talk to me I’m like hey pro tip if I ask you to be on this show.

04:28.80
_davewakeup
I Totally I Totally do though I think everyone’s got a little bit of in there I think it’s like a daily fight imposter Syndrome I Totally yeah, that’s tough that’s stuff tough tough.

04:32.93
podcomm
Yeah.

04:37.20
podcomm
Um, but thank you for not having a posture syndrome to show up for this. You were just like oh I’m in you know it’ still like yeah on the in the schedules and like sweet. But I think that it it gives people um it gives people Well, it’s a tool so it gives them. Um, you know like I Love the. Books are like bicycles for your mind is a neat little metaphor and I don’t know what the metaphor is for podcasting but it gives us this new power tool This new lever to get more out of our thoughts to get more effect in the world from our thoughts.

04:57.22
_davewakeup
Um, whoa.

05:05.26
_davewakeup
Um, it’s like a microphone. It’s like the microphone makes it so that the difference between me standing in front of ah a 200 people and talking and them not paying attention now the microphone’s in front of me and it makes the human voice hit those 200 people podcast is like a microphone for.

05:11.83
podcomm
Yeah.

05:22.10
_davewakeup
World because now I can say whatever it is that I think and that’s delivered now to the entire world immediately. It’s amazing.

05:25.17
podcomm
Yeah, which which made me just go a lot of people don’t believe that the microphone works. You know they get it. They’re like they’re yelling at the thing and you’re just like yo you could just get it. Yeah, it works and there’s you know there’s that whole learning curve about you know the.

05:35.61
_davewakeup
Um, it’s got you. It’s got you.

05:44.55
podcomm
First time people go hello what you know and they they like react to their own voice and everybody everybody does that? Yeah, and yeah, that’s you know that’s all a basic human type of response to the engagement with this technology and I I think that is that.

05:46.21
_davewakeup
Um, oh yeah, the voice and the voice of God in your headphones.

06:02.82
podcomm
Our own personal reaction is magnified because it’s audio like the auditory part of your brain is an older brain function. So that whole thing about talking to people who are in a coma and um I don’t believe in talking to 1 ne’s plants but you know talking. To your dog and your dog reacts a certain way and like that’s a very deep physiologically deep very emotionally deep connected thing and I I think there’s something so I’m um, the tories for rambling welcome to Craig world Dave there’s something also about so you know you and I are talking about.

06:26.22
_davewakeup
Are right? are. Um, no I’m digging it I’m hanging.

06:39.30
podcomm
Podcasting being a tool and a vehicle and a low barrier for injury and it’s empowering people. But it’s also audio like they kind of had that when we invented vhs tapes or beta tapes if you’re old enough you know those up listening like we we had like make your own Tv and then we kind of had like.

06:41.27
_davewakeup
Um, yeah.

06:55.70
podcomm
Youtube and the internet you could stream videos and stuff and that was possible and but there’s something about I believe there’s something about the combination of the technology podcast being one of many mediums that now the tech is low barred entry and the combination with its audio and i.

07:07.90
_davewakeup
Um, right.

07:13.34
podcomm
I’m constantly talking about that audio part of it so before like before let you talk again I mentioned that you have a project but you’re quoting behind you because you’re you’re like in the project. So tell me what the project is what you’re doing up in Portland because I think that’s going to tie into tell me more about audio but go ahead.

07:29.14
_davewakeup
Oh totally? Yeah, So right now I Basically I’ve I’ve worked out of other other studios I’m an audio engineer by Tradeit That’s what I went to school for that’s what I’m all about just working. With musicians and bands of course and then I got into podcasts and that kind of changed a lot of things and added a total different group of people that I could work with so it’s been really awesome seeing that but I’ve always worked out of other people’s studios and I almost bought one from a mentor. And the deal just didn’t work out to buy his property. So I knew that I wanted to build my own after going to the audio engineer conventions Audio Engineer Society basically just going with other producers other audio engineers just like any other convention but that’s all we talk about there going to.

08:08.45
podcomm
M.

08:22.30
_davewakeup
That in la and New York like every year I would see these producers these old school producers who used to work with the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac and led Zeppelin and and all of these amazing artists that I’d grown up listening to as a kid and for real right? But when they were on stage.

08:33.27
podcomm
Um, a minute we I’m thinking a queen and right Pink floyd.

08:40.69
_davewakeup
They were on stage talking and they would be Asking. You know people would be asking them questions like what are some of the the greatest projects you’ve done and why or what have been some of the biggest impacts and and things you’ve done in a session to kind of work with people to get the best art many of them would talk about these artists going on tour they would get burnt out. And they wouldn’t be producing their art that they needed no matter how nice of the studio they were in anymore and so they used to wrench these rent these French ah chateaus these French farmhouses and these studios these people would all go to the farmhouse and live on site and the artist would record there.

09:02.72
podcomm
Um.

09:13.82
podcomm
Um.

09:18.72
_davewakeup
And come out with amazing records because they would be away from everyone. They’d be living on the farm. They could just go out and bike to the villages and they would just record at the times that made sense for them away from distraction and so I bought a 1850 s farm up here about 20 minutes north of Portland maine that my wife and I are are renovating into a.

09:20.84
podcomm
Um.

09:38.39
_davewakeup
Housing So It’s got an artist living space that we’re creating now and then we’re renovating the barn after it actually become a recording studio for indie artists but also on the bottom floor a content creation space for. Businesses and entrepreneurs because like I said 2 very different types of people are jumping into audio right now and I want to support everyone with their creative in whatever medium or means that is.

09:56.60
podcomm
Um.

10:05.25
podcomm
That’s a great point about the multiple types of creativity. The multiple types of creatives I’m not sure that I had that thought before. Thank you for seeing that into a microphone. Do you find? um.

10:16.40
_davewakeup
Ah.

10:22.12
podcomm
So many things I always say when I pause it’s not because I don’t think you’re interesting. It’s because I have too many things to pull on or there’s too many interesting threads. Um I’ll I’ll like Lob it back to you? What where do you think of is the next.

10:27.21
_davewakeup
I get it? yeah.

10:37.93
podcomm
The next thing that you want to pull on here. We’ve talked about a couple different things and we’ve got time for a couple more.

10:40.86
_davewakeup
Man um, you’ve said a bunch of things Craig that I was like really about where like I I like the idea of what you’re talking about and I guess I brought it up and echoed it in terms of different people who are creative. Like I run a podcast. How I got into podcasting is called the waking up from work podcast which is about going after your passion going after your dream and I think a lot of people are podcasting because there’s something they’re passionate about and they want to talk about it I think that people like when we’re talking imposter syndrome we’re talking about the streamlined communication here.

11:08.78
podcomm
Yes.

11:17.21
_davewakeup
Know that there’s so many different types of creative and I truly believe that where like I’ve come from a background working with musicians and that was creative for me but now with podcasting or all this audio or video content that’s out there people who are. Business owners people who are marketing. They’re just hobbyist or whatever it is that they do all of this is creativity and there’s different ways that we can use the tools that work for our content or who we are to express that and I think you were talking about that a little bit but I’m passionate about that.

11:40.96
podcomm
Um, yeah.

11:53.64
_davewakeup
Ah, like that people can create with different things Now it doesn’t have to be you don’t have to be the painter or the musician Anyone can be a creative. It just depends on what it is that they’re using to do that and why.

12:05.74
podcomm
Sometimes I have one of my favorites is like once more louder for those in the back pictures of you know, like yeah, somewhat yeah you actually I can do that in zencast track I have a little ah mixed board up here. But I’m like no I’m not geeking out over the toys. Yeah.

12:12.34
_davewakeup
You should have a button that you press.

12:20.10
_davewakeup
Um, ah I would geek out on that too. That’s cool.

12:24.11
podcomm
I know I I disabled it I turned that feature off I’m like no I do not need to have like the ballpark soundtrack at the push of a button or like the crowd goes wild. They go Craig does not need to the people know me well are going. Do not encourage the behavior right? that I’ll be like tapping on it like it’s a boro drum? no.

12:28.27
_davewakeup
Um, if. Um, if you have it, you’ll use it right? If it’s there you use it.

12:43.77
podcomm
Um I think it’s always it never ceases hundreds of recorder conversations never ceases to surprise me. Um, do Craig. There’s 8000000000 people on the planet. How many people I find who um, the the visual in my mind is like running through the forest and. Ah, mostly just doing my own thing but every time I look around. There’s other people running through the Forest and we’re all kind of going the same way and it never ceases surprise me how many people are like oh there’s Dave. Oh. There’s this person. Oh there’s that person and um, it’s fun to find other people who have picked up so. I’ve I’ve kind of always thought oh wouldn’t it be cool to do like a podcasting retreat where I get a bunch of crazy podcasters and we all take art right? So I’ve I’ve had this idea not like not like I’ve ever really tried it. Okay and you totally can do it better than me because I’m not an audio engineer. However, you’re like bringing this up and I’m like oh.

13:31.00
_davewakeup
Heck yeah.

13:39.37
podcomm
Thank you for doing it because now you don’t have to build the like I have too many and I’m not saying I could do it as good as you but like I have too many ideas and every time somebody does one of them I go oh yes, okay I can just stick to the seventy that I’m working on I don’t have to do 71 yeah

13:40.48
_davewakeup
Are the.

13:51.53
_davewakeup
I don’t have to deal with 79 now I don’t have to do this one because it least it exists.

13:57.20
podcomm
Yeah I did a programming like in a previous life or earlier but ah I did a lot of programming and I still do in systems of administration. So like geek with a keyboard you know in text and I did a retreat that was teaching a particular programming language 1 time and we went to this but like a literal retreat in Georgia.

14:15.13
_davewakeup
Yeah, our core.

14:15.41
podcomm
And we were literally in the woods and it was actually like a zip lining retreat you know so we were there just being computer geeks I don’t think we and went outside but we had our own little cabins and like that like burned the experience into my brain about yeah we ate. Slept and drank programming and it was 30 people who were you know and I mean that’s a different kind of thing. It was creative but we were just like whacking code together and then people would be sitting around by the fireplace. Yeah yain and everyone everyone smile something would go by on a zip line that wasn’t on our group.

14:31.61
_davewakeup
Yeah.

14:46.55
podcomm
You know I’ll outside the windows because we were up real high. It’s really weird, but um, but oh don’t yeah right? exactly or climbing climbing wall climbing wall. Yeah, that’s bad too. No I remind north of the climbing wall. Um, yeah, so I think you’re.

14:47.29
_davewakeup
That’s awesome Allfactor zip lines into the spar and build I’m not doing that I don’t have the insurance for that. Yeah.

15:03.74
podcomm
I mean I know you’re onto something I think that’s a really cool place. Yeah, like ah, a really cool space that you’re imagining not not place like I mean Portland in Maine is really nice too. I’ve heard but I meant place I meant like the conceptual the mental space.

15:06.48
_davewakeup
Um, that’s totally the idea. Love it. Love it. Yeah, people will live on site and do exactly what you just said like whether it’s like small stuff where it’s literally just one person they want to launch their music or launch their podcast they can live on site and just stay in that space or what you’re saying that is kind of like the the long plan is my wife is into.

15:21.35
podcomm
Yeah.

15:26.42
podcomm
Um, yeah.

15:37.49
_davewakeup
Short rental experience based rentals and because our state is called vacation Land we’re looking into getting other properties that are the cabin in the woods or the off- grid. Whatever and being able to also fold that back into this concept of if you’re in writing mode as an author or you are in coding or whatever.

15:52.68
podcomm
Um.

15:56.91
_davewakeup
People who are creatives that don’t even need to utilize this space I’m so bullish on people being able to get away from things especially in this time and age of distraction and bombardment and quick at you getting into their own space being in that melting pot of multiple creatives.

16:06.36
podcomm
Um, yeah, yeah.

16:13.87
_davewakeup
For me that’s magic man. Um I always write with when I’m writing music I Always write better with other artists instead of just by myself I always work better with Collaborators and I always work better getting into a different universe than you know coming right? from. Your job right out into a so busy city and like I’m just like after it and figuring out food and parking and all the stuff that freaks me out case me out of it I like to just get away do my thing and yeah.

16:28.20
podcomm
Yeah, and try and pick it back up. Yeah.

16:36.13
podcomm
Um, it’s almost like um, have you ever heard of um stephen pressfield I’ve never met the guy who’s not a friend of mine but Steve Pressfield writes a lot about the muse. You know the the semiserious you know this magical being that comes to the writers and like gives them the ideas and they’re like.

16:40.91
_davewakeup
Um e.

16:53.13
_davewakeup
Are.

16:56.10
podcomm
Yeah, the muses. The muse is really nice as long as I’m at my desk every morning at 9 am eventually the muse shows up with the idea like I see what you’re talking about and I think it was him who wrote something about the muses quiet like the muse does not come up to you and that’s what I mean eventually it might but. Got to come up with you in the subway and scream over your headphones while you’re playing some game and like this is the thing you got to write you got to like you have to have room and the muse will be like I got a good idea you know and and then you’re like oh I heard that but it has to and and that’s what I was thinking when you were talking about.

17:19.18
_davewakeup
Um, wow.

17:26.36
_davewakeup
Ah, and it sparks.

17:32.35
podcomm
Creating like just now you’re saying themmersive space I have to think about dinner I have to think about getting home I have to take care people. Believe I think falsely that you can do really good stuff and cal newport is an author who writes about deep. He calls a deep work that you need.

17:44.56
_davewakeup
Um, yes I haven’t read it but someone just told me about that.

17:49.74
podcomm
Yeah, it’s like all my I I looked around what you can’t see is the books I’m Craig and I have a problem with books I started I had like a wish list and it got the 500 books yeah well except then I thought crap I have 500 books on the I want to get these list. There’s hundreds in the house I haven’t read.

17:58.70
_davewakeup
Um, the best problem to have. It’s a good problem.

18:06.69
_davewakeup
Wow.

18:08.16
podcomm
Want to get five hundred bucks and like crap. Okay I’ll make a priority tag and I’ll start tagging the books so I have like a 300 priority but think it’s not working the problem is I need to read more. But anyway I really think you are on and now I’m wondering like oh I bet you you’re just ahead of the curve I mean not just like yeah.

18:14.47
_davewakeup
Um, oh my gosh. Wow wow.

18:27.83
podcomm
Big deal I mean just like I think we’re going to see more of this because we’re already. We’re already seeing um Brooklyn’s classic example, we’re already seeing the Brooklyn Pod Space you know where you can go and use the studio.

18:41.30
_davewakeup
Um, death are.

18:41.44
podcomm
And they have somebody who runs the board for you and and like they have the gears there I don’t know me do bring your own mics. Whatever but I mean it’s all there and then you can like show up and beat the talent and record and I’m like when I saw that because Brooklyns not that far from you I’m like yeah but I don’t I mean I got that I you know like I don’t. Need it’s not it’s more than the space and like I love my house. Love my wife love my life but I can only do this a few hours a day and and the idea of being able to go. There is super super on it. Um.

19:03.39
_davewakeup
Um, right. Um, yeah I Love those spaces I mean I think that like we will be doing that here too like I want to reduce friction as much as possible from everyone to be able to do just like you are you’re doing that with this community you’re doing that with your podcast where you’re doing these quick episodes and in.

19:22.99
podcomm
Um, yeah, strip it down.

19:27.48
_davewakeup
Cutting it down to just what it needs to be to deliver the content I want to reduce friction from people as much as Possible. So that when they have any hesitation of why I should not do this thing that they just do it I want them to do that. But I think that ah even like like physical spaces is great because you have the ability to get people together. But obviously we’ve learned in the times that sometimes you can’t and I’m I’m gonna be I’ve done so much through online just like this is incredible too. So I’m I’m really interested to see all the different things that we are able to do in both of those… It’s pretty crazy.

19:59.53
podcomm
Um, let’s try. Um, is there something This is this might be a little hard to answer but is there something that you can think of like a dear listener. Go try this or go consider This is there something you can think of that we could leave people with ah an open loop in their brain that might. Challenge them or nudge them or encourage them to try something different or to go deeper into the creativity aspect of podcasting. Yeah podcasting specifically I’m thinking because people are podcasters who are listening hi mom.

20:25.44
_davewakeup
Um, okay podcasting specifically. Okay, and this would be for people that would be hesitating to start a podcast or this is for people that are.

20:37.49
podcomm
Or or they’ve got one but they feel like it’s not going anywhere not like it downloads. So just like yeah I’ve done 15 episodes and I’m just I’m not feeling the love for my work. You know like things are feeling a little. Maybe they’re feeling a little stale or maybe they just don’t maybe they feel like I did it. But. You know what? I mean a little bit of magic missing in their own personal opinion. Yeah.

20:56.80
_davewakeup
Um, okay, because those are very different right because I totally I’m at like episode 1 23 and there’s been very many times that I’m like on the way back on the airport like recording something on my airpods or I’m like. Even though as an audio engineer. It’s just content is king and keeping that consistent like it’s tough is really tough. You know and I hit multiple points where I’m like I think I’m all set like I think I’m out and sometimes people sometimes other people get me out of it because. Ah, singular person like I’ll get in my head just like you like I can tell that you’re analytical by nature and I’ll look at downloads and I’m like oh man that episode didn’t do good or like people didn’t listen to that or whatever and 1 singular person will like send me a Dm or an email or something be like hey I was depressed I had anxiety.

21:32.15
podcomm
Yeah.

21:49.75
_davewakeup
Or I didn’t want to start my creative or I was nervous to start it and like you got me to do it and like something happened from for 1 single person from one of my episodes and I was like I will keep doing this because this this one person matters and this is that one literally you do a podcast. There’s one.

21:55.90
podcomm
Um, yes, winning. Yeah.

22:07.42
_davewakeup
Download sometimes it’s like when you’ve been doing it for a while. It’s hard to like remember what your real problems are you know when you’re looking at the downloads that that 1 download could change a life first of all, even if it’s very lighthearted content that could mean something to someone more than you’d ever know so that would be my first thing is just remember that.

22:14.50
podcomm
Yeah.

22:23.40
podcomm
Right.

22:27.21
_davewakeup
And I guess like a way to force yourself to mix it up when I’m like in a funk. There’s 2 different things that I’ll do and it’s to spark spark that it’d be 1 is I journal daily I write down certain things and so if I have something where I’m I’m procrastinating it because I’m like.

22:34.66
podcomm
Um.

22:45.83
_davewakeup
This will really mix up my podcast but I I just am scared to do it and that’s why I haven’t done it yet I will write that it has to be done before noon. So 100% has to be done before noon even if I’m terrified of it so then like I know before noon I have to do it. So if I’m afraid of live streaming and I’ve only been doing it. You know as a podcast and I’ve never realized the live streams coming out at 1159 you know or if I’m ah I’m afraid of going you know to a place on location and I’ve never done that before I’m going to book it or something before eleven thirty even if I can or something so that’s 1 thing. And another thing is is a little funky but if I’m in a funk and I’m like waking up and I’m just not getting shit done I’ll take a cold shower and that like is the hardest thing that I did early in the day where I had to tell myself to do something that my body told me not to do and I’m like f you David we’re doing this anyway. And that will kind of immediately put me in a different head space where I’m like okay like f you David you’re doing it anyway. So do something before noon if you’re procrastinating it or mix yourself up some way and and just book it and once it’s like you crack the egg. It’s like.

23:42.12
podcomm
Um.

23:58.42
_davewakeup
Once I lie streamed or once I did something different or whatever then you never feel like that’s a weird thing again because you just got weird. You know.

24:06.29
podcomm
Awesome! Ah out of the part. So thanks for taking the time out of your clearly busy schedule. You need to go back to work. Um, and for sitting down having a chat for taking the chance on the show loving it. Thank you for well for fun conversation before during and along the way but also for having like some I think some really good concrete. Go try this ideas for people who listening if anybody’s listening hello cool. Thank you very much David.

24:35.16
_davewakeup
Ah, thank you for having me on the show Man This is such an awesome show to have for people.