Transcript for "Connections - with David Reynolds"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Konine hey my pleasure everybody always says thanks for having me I’m like no no thanks for taking time out of your schedule to show up to the whole like deal with recording over the internet and all the ins and outs of podcasting but 1 of the advantages of talking to podcasters is.

00:01.40
David Reynolds
And I’m David Reynolds hey Craig thanks for having me today.

00:19.75
podcomm
Yeah, all know what that’s like so so you’re used to it. David Reynolds is the host of a great show called lead learn change and we do a little discussion before we press record on these things I joke it’s a street race car just goes 0 to 60 no seatbelts, no windows and I want to talk about.

00:20.10
David Reynolds
Yeah.

00:38.76
podcomm
Projects or interesting things or conversations or all the stuff that you’ve bumped into encountered done or like found access to that come off of your podcast Journey. So. Suddenly people ask you questions about podcasting is like an obvious one that people might think of but what what things have you encountered or discovered that are like offshoots.

01:00.40
David Reynolds
A whole bunch of people that I did not know before I think that’s the biggest connection isn’t it’s offs sheet of a completely different set of I guess Seth Godwin called a tribe but a new set of connections. There’s a ton of.

01:13.20
podcomm
Um.

01:20.32
David Reynolds
Learning connected to the podcasting journey also and then there are some spinoff connected projects so we can look at each one of those. However, you want but people ah come to come to mind first I just think of some of the podcast episodes that I would have never ever so expected. Have been involved in being able to interview a holocaust survivor or deciding to interview my own parents which I think a lot of people wish they might have done not necessarily interview I really don’t ever call them interviews I call them conversations but ah.

01:46.43
podcomm
Um.

01:59.39
David Reynolds
The the people I’ve gotten to speak with there are so many people who have an interesting story and somebody says something and you meet somebody else and then you make 1 posting on Linkedin or somewhere and somebody else expresses some interest and you follow up with them I mean i.

02:02.52
podcomm
Um.

02:18.62
David Reynolds
Had an interview with a lady named Debbie Reynolds which happens to be my wife’s name and I had posted something on Linkedin and Debbie Riddles responded and I thought I don’t think Debbie’s even on Linkedin why is she looking at my stuff. It’s perfectly fine. She listens to all my podcasts and.

02:35.94
podcomm
Yeah, ah.

02:37.95
David Reynolds
Read stuff for me and and proof reads. So I wrote back but I clicked on it to see what was going on it turns out it was absolutely not my Debbie reals. It was another Debbie reals and she was a data privacy expert and internet information and. It just looked extremely interesting. So we started a quick initially humorous exchange online about who I thought she was and while looking at our profile photos. We clearly knew that we weren’t related but she made a joke that we might have been and 1 thing led to another and I got to interview her and. That’s been really interesting. So I mean just almost a mistake led to that and then the holocaust survivor because of the success of my experience in the podcasting fellowship which is what it was called back in the third cohort. It’s now just pod pod 6 that’s right? but.

03:19.14
podcomm
Are.

03:31.66
podcomm
Ah pod three T P f three for the win.

03:36.11
David Reynolds
Right? Pod 6 and pod 10 all that all that now slightly different name but because of how well that went in that community then I decided to use another similar experience of a community of learners to help me get across the finish line with a book that I was working on I had started and stopped a couple of times. And in that experience which was writing in community workshop which lasted one hundred and eighty days instead of the 30 in pod pod sticks or pod 3 or whatever I ended up reading certain people’s work and I read. Julie Cannepa’s work about Vladimir Monk the holocaust survivor and his love story wife with his wife kitty and how they met during the holocaust and then got married after the holocaust they were both in camps and it just intrigued me. And I contacted Julie we had a Zoom call. We hit it off I asked her if she would ask vladimir if he would speak with me she did he said yes and I was able to release it on his ninety fifth birthday and it was just a real honor to talk to somebody with that kind of experience and we got to focus on non.

04:32.62
podcomm
Ah.

04:48.25
David Reynolds
Tragic Horrific details so much as you read lots of things but just his life outside of of that and then there’s connections with the book and connections with technology and all kinds of stuff. But I mean every single guest that I’ve spoken with has.

04:51.70
podcomm
Hooray.

05:05.36
David Reynolds
Grown out of connections that have happened because of the podcasting I started with people I knew so the first 2 podcasts guests were people I knew after that they were people I had not known.

05:18.95
podcomm
Um, known.

05:21.59
David Reynolds
Before podcasting except for my parents which I decided to do later around podcast 14 or 15 episode.

05:26.20
podcomm
Sort of the does all of the the serendipitous connections I’m reminded of a joke never use a large word when a diminutive one will suffice. Do do all those serendipitous connections. Do you think that. Taking up the podcasting journey like made you develop the new skill like like Serendipity happens. But there’s ah, there’s a skill or a kact who like actually noticing it and like noticing that that it’s meaningful and then doing something about that Serendipity. Do You think the podcasting Journey. Gave you that skill or improved that skill or or were you always like that and now what you’re finding is a different kind of connection is coming up so like did this did the ability to act on those connections is that a new thing from podcasting or did you always have that.

06:16.12
David Reynolds
I Think with the people. It’s a relatively new or enhanced thing I’m not one of those people who likes to be invited to a gathering and stand around with people I don’t know holding my cup of water and saying what do you do and answering that question. So That’s not something I would just lean into or think hey that sounds like a great idea now once I get to know somebody. It’s different and I think that there were so many people you intersected with in the podcasting community and if you wanted to actually create a podcast. You had to really interact with people.

06:53.30
podcomm
You had to lean in.

06:55.49
David Reynolds
And get information and learn and ask questions and be kind of vulnerable to this might sound dumb. But I’m going to ask it anyway because I don’t know the answer and everybody is really gracious and generous So you and you start it. You saw for right next to you.

07:02.76
podcomm
Um, right? yeah.

07:13.20
David Reynolds
Basically it was virtual but right next to you saw people reaching out to people and getting them on each other’s podcasts and so you started I just started doing it to make it happen because when I took the podcasting fellowship Workshop I thought I was just going to learn how to create a podcast I didn’t really go into it thinking.

07:30.78
podcomm
Um.

07:31.28
David Reynolds
I’m going to create a podcast. It didn’t hit me till about day seven it’s like wait a minute I’m actually supposed to do this and so there was a little bit of little exactly that’s that’s what that was for me. So.

07:36.12
podcomm
Yeah, the first question is what’s the title of your show going to be like oh wait a minute this got real on day one.

07:47.88
David Reynolds
Think it’s been enhanced by that to answer your question but then I think I think there is a proclivity with some people to be starter and finisher and I get a great sense of.

07:49.30
podcomm
Um.

08:01.84
David Reynolds
Pleasure I guess out of accomplishing or completing something like I’ve I’ve done this you know so getting having that reinforced with this constant message of just ship it and start on the next one that kind of thing and then you start having a little bit of a.

08:03.97
podcomm
Yeah, pushing the publish button. Yeah.

08:21.60
David Reynolds
Self- pressure buildup from accountability from ship episode 3 because you’ve done number 2 and how long can I wait you know and that sort of thing. So think the podcasting workshop podcasting fellowship really did make that more clear to me.

08:36.48
podcomm
M.

08:39.40
David Reynolds
And I do think it’s also made it easier for me because it’s like anything else. My interview Scott Perry he he always says you learn to write by writing and you do a lot of crummy writing before you do good writing you do a lot. You do a lot of bad walking before you start walking well or bad talking I mean you think about infancy to adulthood.

08:51.35
podcomm
Right.

08:59.22
David Reynolds
The same thing with everything else I mean Seth Godin says you don’t it’s not the problem is not that you don’t have enough good ideas. It’s that you don’t have enough bad ideas. So you know I’ve got plenty of bad podcasts and plenty of bad book starters begun but the podcasting really did force me.

09:04.60
podcomm
Right? right.

09:17.78
David Reynolds
To or pull me I Guess didn’t force me it pulled me into a completion mode even though I’ve always been that way. It really ramped it up. It accelerated it I guess it intensified it a little bit and that’s why the book is done and just this morning I sent back. The. Feedback to the guy working on the cover art for the book and except for one Comma we’re done with the book design and I’m waiting on the next version of the small formatting changes I Recommended to come back and we should be really done soon and it’s got the same title.

09:37.75
podcomm
Um.

09:53.11
podcomm
Congratulations That’s a.

09:55.14
David Reynolds
The podcast which was not the title of the book when I started four years ago and then stopped and then started and then stopped so it’s sort of a branding thing and book 2 is in my head right.

10:05.81
podcomm
Learn something about what you had to say by talking about it in your podcast. So when you think about the connections and and like taking advantage of that Serendipity. Um, what’s what’s currently holding you back. Is it like waiting for the next. Random occurrence to offer you something to to act on or.

10:27.40
David Reynolds
No I don’t there’s no need to do that I mean if you there’s so much to do and so many people to talk with I think it’s there’s so much to do like I want to do so much stuff like book 2 is in my head partially on paper. And I’d like to finish it and I know that I need to get back on the podcasting train because it’s been a while since that left the station so you know today it’s like a little re-entry and Thursday I have an interview set up with a young art. Ah young artist and. Looking forward to releasing that podcast kind of turning it around more quickly. So there’s nothing holding me back other than multiple irons in the fire and that’s not an excuse. It’s you have seasons of focus and so you have to give yourself some slack and say it’s okay, to.

11:12.55
podcomm
M.

11:24.42
David Reynolds
Do this right now more than I’m doing that. It’s not really about balance. It’s more just about orchestrating a ah complete full circle of of. Of your day of your week or your month or whatever I don’t micromanage myself into a real real tight schedule and I read a lot of that and I wonder if that would help me but probably not because I haven’t yet done it and you can establish new habits. But I I mean I keep stacks of. Physical paper right here on my desk I have digital reminders and I use those apps and that sort of thing too. But it’s pretty much just picking off the the high leverage thing each day or the thing you can you can knock off the list. There’s no there’s no minimum number of that’s not the right word. There are plenty of guests. Available at the beginning I thought I need to have a bunch of people saying yes I’ll be on your podcast because I thought nobody would ever do that. So I made the folk committed the fa po of asking maybe 40 people hey I’d like to heck you to be a podcast guest so they’ve all said yes, they’re still sitting on the pending list and I’ve met another hundred people since so.

12:32.14
podcomm
The like row.

12:36.66
David Reynolds
I don’t need to I could actually shut everything down and just talk to the people I’ve spoken to in the last two years and probably podcast for next three years, but new interesting people keep coming up so I’ll be cycling back into those that I’ve promised and make sure that I fulfill that commitment but there’s only thing holding me back is just.

12:43.12
podcomm
Oh.

12:56.62
David Reynolds
Ah, need to stop working today and do something else for home for family.

12:57.94
podcomm
Yeah, the certain amount of energy to go around. Um I used I always say like I only got so much peanut butter and I can’t only cover so many pieces of bread like it. Otherwise it’s doesn’t It’s not peepe and J yeah.

13:07.85
David Reynolds
Yeah, and if you do too many things if you do too many things. It’s like a mile wide and an inch deep you need to go deep run some things to have more quality I think.

13:14.67
podcomm
Yeah, What’s the most surprising like a lot of the things you’re describing I don’t want to say obvious because I don’t mean it. In a derogatory way. But it’s pretty obvious those connections. It makes sense where they went. Yeah I talk to this person and I talk to that person and like it you’re making podcasts and you’re having conversations in a bigger picture and and refining ideas for your book I think that’s pretty obvious you know an offshoot of having thoughtful conversations. It tends to organize your thoughts. But what’s the most surprising thing that that you can say well this is related to podcasting but you wouldn’t have thought it became ah dot dot dot.

13:56.66
David Reynolds
I’ve got to go back to some of these I got to go back to the same thing. It might be obvious that you as you’ve just described but it is people mean I wouldn’t expected that writing the book would connect me to people. That I’ve met as a result of that working with a guy in Pakistan and a guy in Croatia as a result of that and that’s not obvious to me I would have thought hey I know this person who does this kind of work I’ll talk with him or her and we’ll get that done. So. Ah, surprise would probably be just the the range of connections that have been made and then also the number of new this is surprising to me the number of new pieces of software or hardware that you end up becoming familiar with.

14:49.57
podcomm
M.

14:51.35
David Reynolds
Where you had literally no clue that they even existed three years ago or two years ago what they meant what those new abbreviations and acronyms were or how come you might need to have 5 different pieces of software that you use to actually pull off.

14:55.90
podcomm
Right? ah.

15:08.66
podcomm
Right? The magic trick.

15:10.60
David Reynolds
Ah, podcast because you’re doing recording and you’re doing some kind of cover art and then you’re using something that you might not have used before on social media to do a post and then you’re using a transcription tool if your particular package doesn’t have all that and then you’re rolling that into.

15:21.75
podcomm
Yes.

15:27.85
David Reynolds
Ah, database on maybe airtable or some other sort of organizing software and you’re helping teach that to a colleague who’s now teaching you things that they learned in that software package. So. It’s this amazing ripple of stuff that it’s and it’s not. Chasing shiny objects for the sake of ooh I need to learn that software that looks really cool. You have to start vetting those things and deciding if they’re worthy of your time is there any use for the squeeze is this worth the money or is this really great even though it’s free that kind of thing and just think about your work more deliberately and intentionally I just. I didn’t expect thirty six months ago that I would be doing any anything that I’m doing now at work or in this parallel track of work. So it’s been a complete shift in virtually every aspect of anything non-family related and even with. With Debbie with my wife we have conversations now that excuse me that I didn’t expect to have. We’ve always talked. We talk every day we’ve been married for 40 years. We’ve talked every day that we’ve been married and extensively we talk about everything and now. Things will come up in conversation that sound like she took some of these courses with me. That’s not my influence on her but it’s giving us a common language for some of the things we’ve talked about forever. It’s like oh that’s just like so and so you could be reading something faith based or you could be reading something. Completely secular or you could just be having a conversation as you walk around the neighborhood together. But there you start seeing common strands emerge and then I understand some things that she’s been saying to me for 20 years you know maybe I see in a different light. Than the way I saw it before so that might be a surprising connection too is how your work ends up rippling into the most meaningful relationships that you have in unexpected ways.

17:29.96
podcomm
As you were talking about the like the complexity like podcasting is really complicated and I was reminded of um you know the musician’s pen and Teller so I’m pretty sure it’s pen is the big one that talks. Um Penn said that. You will be fooled by a magic trick if the magician is willing to spend more time and or money than you or any sane person ever would and and what he’s getting at is is like you can one can really be wowed. By how great a podcast sounds and it’s amazing to hear this person’s holocaust story and you really one can really be drawn into that and you think this is really incredible like listening to that but people really don’t understand like you really still unless you’ve tried it. You really don’t understand just how much work really went into. All of the pieces around that like my favorite part of podcasting is between record and stop. This is the part right here that I love I love having conversations with people. Um, but I’m willing to do just about anything that I can think of before I press record and after I press stop to make it all happen and. I think that’s a big piece of the magic that you’re willing to you know, like rethink your book structure and like well that’s only tangentially related to the podcast but I’m willing to bet that what you did with the book the changes to the book that refined your thinking about your podcast and your willingness to. Interact with people on the book made you willing to be more interactive with people who were podcast guests and I think that you’ve highlighted a bunch of pieces of that and just kind of wanted to like shine. What I think is a light on yes I think that there’s a there’s a feature or a skill or I don’t know a quality that you have there. You know that you’re excelling at them just like yeah that looks like it’s a lot of work. But I’m going to do that because it lets me make this thing.

19:30.99
David Reynolds
Yeah I agree that’s a good summary of what I tried to articulate there. So between the betrayed the 2 of us that we feed the 2 of us the listeners will understand exactly what I was trying to say.

19:36.94
podcomm
Was drag this of right.

19:44.85
podcomm
Yeah, well I think that we’re about 20 minutes I like to keep these short not because I ever want to stop having cool conversations with people but because people have a limited attention span for listening to us talk. So I’m was going to say. David it was a pleasure I don’t think we’ve ever actually recorded anything before so I’m super excited and happy to have a chance to actually make a permanent artifact of us having a cool conversation and thank you.

20:08.80
David Reynolds
Yeah, agreed and you’re more than welcome. Thanks for the invitation to spend time with you today. See you.

20:15.30
podcomm
Um, thanks spy.