Transcript for "Connection - with Amy Novotny"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine today I’m talking with Dr Amy Novotny welcome Amy pleasure to have you here today.

00:07.19
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Thanks for having me on today Craig it’s a pleasure to be here.

00:13.50
Craig
I’m glad that our schedule is lined up I I say in many places and many platforms I’m always super excited to get chance to talk to people conversation is my wheelhouse. Not exclusively my wheelhouse but I mean that’s the one I’m but I’m conversing I I find that’s the best application of my effort. So I’m always tickled pink when people join me and you and I were talking beforehand a little bit about I asked you about video versus audio and a lot of times I’m just kind of like I don’t know let me throw an idea out there and see what that other mind comes back with and you made a spectacular point. So I’m going to like run it up the flagpole again. About your choice to just start in video which I personally find video harder your choice to start. There was I think a brilliant choice to just basically push the start button like the conceptual I’m going to begin the work and you’ve put out. Ah, did I see are you at 60 episodes. It was like 38 or 68 you’ve you’ve got like you’re not on 4 you’re…

01:10.60
Dr_ Amy Novotny
It’s more than that. It’s almost every week for 2 years so I don’t have them all on my website. So it’s yeah I’m probably close to a hundred I should count because you know you like to celebrate those milestones. But.

01:15.67
Craig
I Saw congratulations by the way. Yeah.

01:25.34
Craig
I’m I’m laughing with you because ah I think people who make podcasts know but random people don’t realize just how much work goes into even if you’re attempting to do the simplest thing possible but to circle back your choice to just start.

01:25.39
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Yeah.

01:40.21
Craig
And I also think that and I like ah kind of want to see where you want to go today but your discussions about breathing and the work you’re doing with breathing. Um I think I’m going to connect to 2 points. You recently gave a presentation or a talk I think you just posted like yesterday and.

01:55.12
Dr_ Amy Novotny
And.

01:59.57
Craig
I’m interested in what you felt and how you overcame the last minute last moment hesitation through your like so application of your own knowledge about breathing and maybe how that is parallel to just simply beginning the video Podcast. So. You talk me through like what you did and how you mentally overcame that last speed bump before you had to go on stage and maybe if there’s any parallels to starting your podcasting journey.

02:28.14
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Absolutely So I am innately a very shy and introverted person just putting that out. There. The idea of putting myself out there and having people look at me. It’s terrifying and. And I mean in college my last course I ever took was public speaking to force myself to learn how to speak in public and it’s interesting because I’ll sit in an audience and I’ll observe a great speaker and I see their Charisma I see them change their pacing I see them interact with the crowd and.

02:48.68
Craig
Um.

03:03.89
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Think to myself. Why can’t I do that What is this fear that keeps holding me back and I know part of it is this innate fear in me to do things perfect and if I did things wrong when I was a kid I’d get called out on and made fun of and so there’s that and so when we have those kind of fears that like. Lay into our Subconscious. We often have this sympathetic Response. You get the calmly clammy hands a sweaty armpits the heart racing and so when I went on stage last week right before I went on stage sure enough. Boom My heart was beating I’m sure everyone in the audience can feel this th Thum um going on but seriously I’m like okay I got to get this under control and considering I teach people how to calm down their fight or flight nervous system I need This is great practice and that’s actually what I did I changed my mindset I said okay.

03:43.45
Craig
The telltale heart right.

03:59.76
Dr_ Amy Novotny
This is time for me to practice what I preach to implement it to prove to myself yet again that this stuff works and so the the host who is introducing me on stage was taking a while talking and I’m just thinking my lucky stars that he did because I stood next to the stage. And looked out at the audience and then I did this breathing technique to calm myself down while I was looking at the audience so it helped my body accept these people looking in my general direction and me looking at them in the general direction and sure enough I was able to calm myself down. A little nervous but it wasn’t like my voice was cracking I could actually think through my thoughts it wasn’t I wasn’t a deer in the headlight is bad and so I got on and I was able to perform and um I wooed the audience I got a standing kind of ovation afterwards. Yeah.

04:48.60
Craig
Did very well I hear Yes, yes.

04:53.52
Dr_ Amy Novotny
But when I first started my own show. It was similar I was not used to putting myself on social media especially doing live social media and live video like I can barely form a sentence on my own without stumbling over and getting the grammar and correct.

05:06.23
Craig
Mmm.

05:12.88
Dr_ Amy Novotny
So going live it was scary because now I had to attend to the conversation be present and actually come up with intelligent questions because I’m not one where I say okay I’m going to give a list of 20 questions to my guest and.

05:27.28
Craig
Yeah, right.

05:28.98
Dr_ Amy Novotny
And ask you one after another after another I just find that so inauthentic and so again I had to change my mindset and say okay, it’s you and me Craig we’re gonna have a conversation here and I’m gonna really listen to what you’re saying and I’m Goingnna base my question off of it I’m gonna pretend. Whole Russell World doesn’t exist. It’s just you and me and how can I add value and so off we went.

05:52.85
Craig
There’s ah ah lot like a lot of things in there that I I’m like nodding along frenettically and we’re not doing video today. Um, first of all I want to say yes because when I started podcasting the first episode went out in 2018 when I listened to that older material I I did those things I but boop brambled and and like panicked and and so I can remember like I can actually remember if I listened to it I know exactly where I was and exactly what I was feeling I get pulled back there. And I can hear it I can hear my voice crack I can hear myself ramble because I’m not totally not rambling right now. No not at all and that opportunity for me to look back I think has been super helpful. Um, so I think your your awareness being aware and being able to remember in a moment of. And want to say a moment of panic but in a moment where whoa you know I’m I can see here comes the panic being able to be aware of the arc of your own journey and to know that you have the tools and that you be able to apply the tools I think that’s a very um, inspiring. It’s not the right word I mean it’s inspiring. But it’s also like oh good. If you can do that then I know that I can do that or people listening would know that they can do that and Craig saying yes I too. So I think first of all, that’s 1 thing I want to point out is like that’s awesome. Thank you for sharing that and I also think that there’s there’s magic in um, ah.

07:05.70
Dr_ Amy Novotny
O.

07:21.54
Craig
You know the staples button that was easy. You know that button that you there’s magic in the first time that you go. Oh um, that’s enough of this and you just like press you know, start on that video and then when you press stop, you’re like well I didn’t die. It’s like it. It didn’t work out so bad. Um, so.

07:24.30
Dr_ Amy Novotny
E.

07:31.50
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Um, yeah, exactly.

07:41.60
Craig
Do you find that the people who come to you for help. Um I think my understanding is most of what you’re doing is like individual assisting you know, or even if you’re in a group you’re I’m trying to help that person who wants to help themselves and and I’m also trying to help this person but you’re not actually trying to facilitate generally. You know, random people helping each other and I’m wondering. Do you find that podcasting and doing work in video maybe gives you a more opportunity to to do I call that like cross you know like I want to create good conversation with Amy but I also want to help person a and b have good conversation with each other. So do you find that? Maybe what you’re doing in podcasting and video casting is helping you do more that second order work compared to what you do in your clinical type work.

08:26.47
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Right? So and I think well the main reason I started doing the podcasting show is we had just hit the pandemic and there were so many questions about Health and the Immune system and how to be healthy. And I realized I had a huge network of people who are in the Health Wellness Fitness personal development mental Health world and I’m sure there’s even more but I had all these resources and all these people who I could tap into for information and you know all these people I could reach out to but that’s. Was I’m unique I’m I’m very lucky that I was part of different groups that gave me that access and yeah, but why can’t everyone have that So. That’s why I started this show because I really wanted other people to have access to the resources I did.

09:05.64
Craig
Yeah, connector.

09:21.35
Dr_ Amy Novotny
So if they had a question about thyroid I just interviewed a gentleman about thyroid they could reach out to Anthony and say hey Anthony you know I just I was told to get this blood work is there anything else I should have done awesome! Okay I’ll go do that and then you know let’s set up a time we can chat and you can tell me what. All the all these numbers mean and that’s really why I mean doing it. It’s it’s a resource for other people and selfishly I wanted to know more about health wellness and all these other topics that I haven’t had a chance to become an expert on and.

09:49.45
Craig
Whom.

09:55.98
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Quite frankly I don’t have the time to become an expert on but I would love a general working knowledge and know. Okay I’ve heard this concept somewhere you know what? Okay I know I can go to her I can go to Kirsten Carey I can talk to her in. Okay. Can get more information I can hire her to be as part of my health and wellness team and that’s really why I started it. It was really how do I help more people in the whole sense of Health And Wellness um even beyond what I teach with the nervous system and breathing and body position and all those things.

10:33.40
Craig
But I’m always torn I have 19 things in my head 1 of them is like oh my goodness please keep doing that please could more people in the world. Do that. We’d all be to a much better place but I know a lot of people I’m I’m in a a bubble and I’m I’m like delighted to be in this privileged bubble of I know a lot of podcasters.

10:42.70
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh.

10:52.61
Craig
And a lot of them are doing that and I’m just like yes, please just go I’ll go do that. That’s 1 thing that springs to mind. But another thing is um, is there anything about you kind of you kind of knew what you’re in for you. You’re like all right I want be doing a lot of outreach. You know, trying to communicate with other people and I know I’m going to be doing a lot of. Relatively a lot of prep work and I’m going to have to sit in front of the camera day after day like you kind of know what you’re in for but was there anything about it that really surprised you like some benefit or some new skill or some huge negative thing.

11:24.80
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Yeah, um I would say probably I didn’t realize how much I’d like to talk to people and interview them and I realized that my interview skills with working with clients 1 on 1 Really helped bolster my ability to talk to people and interview them about their craft and I didn’t realize at the time but I’ve since learned that my role as a host is to facilitate the conversation and. Sometimes that means reining people in a little bit and guiding the conversation elsewhere sometimes that that means bringing out some levity in the person or bringing out some pizzazz because maybe they’re afraid or they’re more monotone and that’s a skill that I still have to work on.

12:10.33
Craig
May.

12:15.20
Dr_ Amy Novotny
And so I go into each conversation thinking. Okay, how can I make this person seem as amazing as I see them off-air. How do we get that to come through on air. So that people realize this person has great value and we don’t so. Associate their value based on how well they spoke on Zoom or in the you know on the show but I really want them to shine so that people trust them as much as I trust them.

12:45.26
Craig
Amen once more louder for those in the back. So you mentioned specifically that your your skills your your ability or your words in a sentence is putting Craig your prowess at conversation. And I want to I want to I want you to like unpack that even further like what specifically is it about conversation because I have ideas but I don’t want to put words into your head. Um, what is it about your skills that you developed or honed working with clients that wound up serving you so well, you know when you tried to just generally.

13:08.60
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh.

13:20.91
Craig
Converse with people for the show.

13:21.75
Dr_ Amy Novotny
1 of it is listen to them so you know what next question to ask like when I listen to you I need to know what are you telling me. But what can I ask you that will get more information out of you to help other people and that that takes a lot of concentration, especially especially such a video. Yeah.

13:44.37
Craig
Um, and this is all a little meta I’m like ah.

13:50.66
Dr_ Amy Novotny
In video too and this is where I I struggle sometimes is I’m so concentrating on the person that I forget to smile and and so you may see me looking serious and I’ve had people comment on that and that was something spistically that I worked on in that speech last week is I gave that feedback to someone else to smile and then on my practice round. He’s like okay for us to smile.

13:55.10
Craig
Hello.

14:09.32
Craig
Got this small. Ah.

14:10.50
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Um, like okay, but these are things that hey this is all practice. All I can do is grow from here. So Why not learn, but those are things that I look at as when I’m having conversation. Be aware of my own. You know appearance because that does affect the person who’s speaking it all Matters. You know besides your appearance but what is your facial expression saying if I am making eye contact if I’m smiling if that slight nod that encourages someone to keep talking.

14:32.83
Craig
It’s communication right.

14:47.80
Dr_ Amy Novotny
You know if I’m if I’m nodding fastly then I know okay that person’s trying to you know I’m trying to hurry that person up and we got to wrap up here. But if I’m slow I mean there’s so many different gestures and just the way I ask things too can really make an impact.

14:53.34
Craig
Even.

15:05.29
Dr_ Amy Novotny
If I ask a question that’s more open-ended or if I ask a? Yes, no question my inflection in my voice. Those things are all areas that I can work on to help someone shine in the interview and do I have it perfect by all means no. But I just consider. Okay, this Saturday when I go on my show. It’s another time to practice. What am I gonna practice today and off I go.

15:27.48
Craig
So many so many great things. Um the small ones. First of all I agree big time that listening is I think listening is number 2 for me I think number one is curiosity. That’s what drives me that’s like my magic if I ever stop being curious. That would be the end of what I’m trying to do but listening is a close second and you’re right I I don’t want to say I was always a great listener. But I think I was always a pretty good listener and then if you’re going to be curious. You start really trying to listen because you’re just like trying to so.

15:46.63
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh yeah.

16:05.66
Craig
Bunge up everything and that’s it’s magic when you realize that you can I always say when you can weaponize listening if you can weaponize listening and use it as an active tool to communicate to the other person through listening most of what say that’s passive listening’s passive. That’s a big. Ah. Was a big like conceptual leap for me. So I’m I’m I’m with you a big time on listening and I’m also thinking like I also don’t I hate to seed fresh fears in people. But I’m so far in the like crazy land with communication that. I’m aware of when I write on paper so I’m taking notes and Amy can’t see what I’m writing but you can see that I have a pen and when I go like this. It’s pretty clear that I’ve chosen to write so I often don’t do that the instant that you say something because I don’t want you to feel like I’m like.

16:49.20
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh.

17:00.25
Craig
Boring, boring, boring, boring boring. Oh that’s worth noting and then I know you know so I try to be mindful of like at what point am I dialing down the attention that I’m paying to the other person because you just it’s something that I need to write down like and and I think once you start to um, be aware of that stuff.

17:01.41
Dr_ Amy Novotny
A.

17:18.17
Craig
And I’m I’m thinking like oh this feels like a question about to be related to breathing once you become aware of listening and you become aware of how what you’re doing beyond speaking affects the other person then it becomes this virtuous cycle of like oh you, you just continuously play with that. And I’m thinking That’s I mean I’ve I’ve been breathing for a few years, but other than that I don’t know that much about breathing and which which I’m I’m I’m fibbing I I know a lot about breathing but I’m I’m just wondering if somebody is out there thinking wait.

17:44.78
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Pink.

17:52.27
Craig
These people are talking about listening as ah as a key to being better a conversation and we were talking earlier about breathing was a key to you being able to help people and to being able to change how you were before you went on stage. Um, what are some things that maybe people get wrong or that.

18:04.28
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh.

18:10.88
Craig
They can notice which might open up doorways for them with respect to their breathing.

18:15.62
Dr_ Amy Novotny
So One of the biggest things that people do is when they blow out. They suck their gut up and in and it’s going to seem very counterintuitive if you want to relax and allow your body to heal allow yourself to calm down. As you Exhale you want your belly to spill out. It will feel wrong to most people. The other thing is we are often taught to suck our gut up and in and hold it that way that creates tension throughout your body. It increases your stress levels. It puts you at a higher fight or flight mode. Which will make everything else seem in greater danger or greater stress or you know what have you but when you do that too. You also affect your ability of your diaphragm to work. Well.

19:01.56
Craig
Heightens The yeah.

19:08.85
Dr_ Amy Novotny
When you suck your gut up and in and you lift those ribs up to try to create this strong stable Core. You’re really not creating a strong stable core. You’re learning to hinge off your back and you kind of be like this teeter totter and it also takes away from your Diaphragm’s Use. So I Really encourage people to. When you’re going about your day Watch. Check how many times you’re sucking your gut up and in and see if you can just let your belly out so you just blow out. Let your belly out and just let those rib that rib cage fall down and let yourself relax.

19:44.51
Craig
I think that’s brilliant sometimes I want to just hit the stop button end of the show. Um, but yeah I think if people can find just those little moments of we were talking very briefly. We touched on the sympathetic nervous system if people could find little moments of doing little things. That can help them bring the world down a couple of notches then that that pays forward like in the next ten seconds in how you operate your car and now you navigate the grocery store. So I think that’s good and I I bounce around in my head between.

20:09.39
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Yeah.

20:22.44
Craig
You know, trying to maintain my posture combined with microphone technique and trying to breathe and also I think that if I look like if I’m perfect. Perfect breather then I look a little odd you know I Also like you kind of do slotch a little bit too sometimes from from the other person’s point of view.

20:32.66
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Oh. That will improve your breathing. Yes, yeah, right.

20:41.16
Craig
And and it’s like yeah I need to like move around and get some motion going so um, cool, an awful lot of Craig talking today I’m sorry any parting thoughts any last words.

20:51.91
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Sure just be careful not to hold your breath all day really work on calming yourself down take the time to let your body unwind every hour that will help with sleep. It helps with blood pressure. It helps with chronic pain. Anxiety stress those little tiny breaks um fifty sixty seconds calm yourself down. It will do wonders for your life.

21:21.54
Craig
Terrific Amy we went 20 minutes and we didn’t mention a single of the really cool things that you’ve done. So if people would like to find out more about you where can they get ahold of you where can they reach you.

21:22.87
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Um.

21:31.31
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Sure so best way to get information. Obviously I’m on all the social media. But um, my website PABRinstitute.com that’s a great way to get ahold of me. You can do a free 15 minute consult if you want if you want more guidance and help. Just let me know I love when I hear from people. So thank you so much. Prag.

21:53.11
Craig
My pleasure. Thank you for taking the time I’ll let you get on with the rest of your day. Thanks Amy.

21:58.74
Dr_ Amy Novotny
Thank you.