Transcript for "Challenge - with Ken Kaus"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
Craig
Um, hello I’m Craig Constantine. welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. My guest today is Ken Kaus… Ken Kaus… Knew I was going to do it wrong, but it’s like it’s like don’t don’t think about a pink elephant I’m thinking about a pink elephant— I’m terrified of saying people’s names. It’s Kaus. Sorry. Welcome Ken.

00:34.20
Ken
Hi Craig ah good to be here and you know it’s the funniest thing I always tell people it’s 4 letters. The last name is 4 letters. How hard can it be to pronounce but constantly.

01:13.58
Craig
Ah, it’s just it’s just unusual right? Like how often do you encounter a as ah, just a generic english speaker. You don’t encounter a us super often. It’s not an noncommon name and I should be able to especially when you tell me how to pronounce it I should be able to do it. But um. It’s tricky right? because in my head I want to perform for for people who are listening of course because it’d be nice if I could pronounce your last name which rhymes with house Craig if I could pronounce it the way that you like it to be pronounced. But I I on one hand I like to get things correct. The other hand I like when I screw things up because some people think that I know what I’m doing or that I’m somehow really good at it’s like no I just did hundreds of these and I just get the things that most people get sweaty palms over I’ve screwed up so many times I’m like yeah sometimes that goes right? Sometimes that goes wrong. Craigs I forgot to warn you craigs notorious for rambling I also talk about myself in the third person and as a new so you’re a new podcaster. You’re new to this and congratulations for having a single episode out in the world. You’ve got more than a single episode so it’s just being able to push publish is challenging. And people who are listening know that because they make podcasts too. So I’m thinking so having just done this whole diet job about pronouncing people’s names and that’s the thing that I’m horrible at I’m wondering if there are parts of podcasting that surprised you at how easy they were like was there anything that you were like oh I’m going to be really bad at. Some part of it and discovered that no that part was actually pretty easy. Is there anything that wasn’t hard.

04:14.60
Ken
I’m gonna go with the actually editing process. Um, because I had some familiarity with the with the software and the audio aspect of it. So.

04:37.90
Craig
Um.

04:47.32
Ken
That came to me very easily when I was going through and learning how to do a podcast which I know that’s something that most people will say oh that’s the the terrifying part I had to you know, cut and slice and adjust levels and ah.

05:12.86
Craig
Um.

05:33.28
Craig
Um, what’s with the squiggly lines right? people talk Well, that’s cool. Do you do you think that son I’m going to go on a limb. Do you think you hide there like I’m wondering if when you start making a podcast.

05:26.82
Ken
But that actually came very easy to me.

06:07.52
Craig
Because editing is easy. That’s your safe space so you go there and maybe you spend more time than you should when you’re editing and if that’s the case. How do you keep yourself under control in that respect.

06:06.38
Ken
Well so far I’ve done a lot of scripting with the the episodes that I’ve put out so I haven’t really felt the need to over edit but it’s definitely easy to go back and say.

06:47.36
Craig
Um.

06:46.24
Ken
I Don’t like the way this sound or even in the recording process I can hear myself say saying different things and your retaking doing a retake because it’s scripted for the most part. Um, so if I don’t if I catch myself mispronouncing something.

07:23.20
Craig
Proof.

07:24.80
Ken
Ah I’ll just go and I’ll say it again in that moment because I know pretty much exactly what I had said and then I’m not over analyzing the edit like oh do I Like you know I don’t like what I said here or I don’t like that.

07:48.98
Craig
Um, ray.

08:03.60
Ken
Because I already know what the words are it’s just a matter of getting the correct pronunciation and pace and all of that.

08:22.98
Craig
All right.

08:36.20
Craig
Um, it’s really tricky I I always say I suck at host on Mike I have a couple of host on Mike Episodes I’m not telling anybody how to find them if you’re really motivated. You can find them and it’s just because I get stuck in the urge to control or attempt to control. Other people’s perception of the recording that I’m making so if I know that I can I think I think in the biz. It’s called punch and roll. so it’s like so today’s episode is brought to you by oops today’s episode is brought to but where you just like the recording runs and you just keep repeating until you get the take you want? um. I find that I will do that all day like I just keep repeating and tweaking and then I listen to it and then I change it and that’s what’s hardest for me on host on mike is my urge to I’m going to say self-censor I don’t mean like completely mute myself, but the urge to like no, that’s not quite the way I want to convey this idea and people are going to take that wrong. And for me I find for me recording conversations is much easier because I can basically just be like this is how Craig’s brain works and this is what I’m thinking and I know that you’ve started in host on mic and I’m I’m wondering. Are you going to are you going to stay there in that in that format or are you thinking. That what you want to do involves more complicated storytelling or more complicated. You know multiple people or sound effects like do you feel like that’s where you’re going to stay or do you feel like you’re going to branch out into something that would be less comfortable for you.

11:18.24
Ken
I think I am going to branch out and move into an interview style I will probably go back and forth between an interview style and a host on mike ah at least for the time being I want to stay host on Mike as I’m getting more comfortable myself. Because as you know we all earn it we all but because that’s a big generalization but many people hate the sound of their own voice and many people don’t hear the sound of their own voice wearing headphones like we are right now so they don’t know what their voice sounds like.

12:24.48
Craig
I.

12:37.72
Craig
Right.

12:35.60
Ken
Ah, but I’m just one of the reasons why I wanted to get into podcasting and storytelling was because for a long time I’ve just felt like ah I’ve had a poor time communicating that the things that are swimming around in my brain.

13:20.52
Craig
Um.

13:13.68
Ken
Like well if if I can get Yeah so I figured if I can get into this space and get comfortable. This is going to force me to really dial in and start thinking more clearly about the things I’m saying.

13:34.62
Craig
I’m laughing with you I’m laughing along and nodding vigorously.

14:02.24
Craig
Um.

13:51.54
Ken
Ah, the stories I’m telling and just overall communication in everyday life. So that was one of the reasons one of the driving forces that got me into podcasting and blogging. So oh.

14:42.96
Craig
I’m scribbling frantically I um, my mind flashed to my I think it might be Vonnegut, but it could also be somebody else who saids something like if you can’t write clearly, you don’t think as clearly as you think you think or something like that and the eye and. I find for myself that the act of having to talk like this to another person in real time. it makes me practice um I always think of it like ah a funnel. There’s a huge amount of thinking that I can do but I can only talk so fast and I can talk really fast. But especially if I try to talk at a speed that people can understand I have to for every hundred thoughts. There’s only one that can go in the microphone and that really has helped me ah practicing that. So I love that you point out like well this is the thing that I need to work on so I’m going to choose the thing that makes me do you know like. You know, show me all the bad work show me the stack of discards kind of thing. So I think that’s a beautiful um you know there’s deep wisdom there and going straight at the challenge kind of thing sometimes I don’t ask questions I just ramble and then stop. I can ask a question if you like or you can.

16:49.58
Ken
Yeah, it’s you know honestly I at one point in my life I backed away from every like obstacle and challenge like I just I’m gonna sit back I’m gonna sit here I’m not gonna do it and somewhere in the past few years I just said

17:32.30
Craig
Mm.

17:28.50
Ken
I Can’t do this anymore like I’m tired of doing this I need a I need to make a change and so let’s just go go full bore and what better way than to put yourself out there on the internet where.

17:52.58
Craig
Um.

18:03.34
Ken
Anybody and everybody can see you and hear you and and you know start getting. Yeah if I can take it there then I can pretty much take it anywhere because you know that’s the way life is.

18:23.40
Craig
He yes.

18:49.60
Craig
Um, yeah I’m thinking about yeah, there’s episodes of me that are five or six years old and I’m like I haven’t listened to them recently. But I have listened to them like yeah, it. It also gives me good perspective like at the time i. Had imposter syndrome I problem I still do have imposter syndrome like for example, about saying people’s names. But when I look back at those episodes and I go I really felt that this was not good enough. But at least I had the I’m gonna say wisdom at least I had the foresight to push publish anyway, when I look back at them. They’re not that bad I was like yeah that’s not solidly. Reason you know there’s no reason to delete that it can stay um, so there’s there’s also the beauty of the perspective. Um, when you do something that leaves ah of record you know like we’re we’re making audio recordings you’re making a host on mic audio recordings you’re going to go back to them and it it also forces us to be honest with ourselves about How good was it really you know like navel gazing at them in the moment I couldn’t tell but looking back or you know or my favorite is when people hear things years later and they go that was awesome, but you know here for the first time I was like oh right I’m really glad I left that up because that that affected someone or touched them or changed them. But.

20:53.50
Ken
It could I I find it very easy to self criticize and say oh this is terrible like I I am not an artist I am not a recorder I am not this I am not that Well you know what? I.

21:17.62
Craig
Go ahead.

21:29.44
Craig
Right.

21:29.70
Ken
I have 4 episodes of a podcast out there I’m a podcast whether whether you like it or not I am a podcaster um I am you know I I am a writer I am a podcaster I am this because I’ve put it out there and.

21:49.96
Craig
Mom Podcaster right.

22:07.80
Ken
You know that was something I was honestly terrified to do for the longest time because it was you the the thoughts floating around in my Brain. You’re not good enough to do this who’s going to want to listen to you. You’re nobody. You. You know it was just very self-sabotaging thoughts and honestly this part of the podcasting too is a little bit of therapy to ah to keep myself in a positive frame of mind.

23:00.36
Craig
Um, boom.

23:28.84
Craig
Before we go too far Afield ah name of the podcast and the domain name where I can find it.

23:14.46
Ken
Yes, okay, um, the name of the podcast is the low to podcast. Um and you will be able to find it in the next week or so on my. Blog site which is low to http://pair.com which is L O W T W O P A I R Dot Com yeah

24:34.26
Craig
Cool make sure we get that in there because otherwise it doesn’t get in there. Um I always I don’t know I haven’t talked to maybe I should make a point of asking people this and other mediums. But I’ve always wondered but I think it’s super helpful people who are listening. You know, take 5 minutes to like bop on over to the guests. Material if they had and and you know just to actually hear what you’re doing whether or not they subscribe and become like permanent listeners I really think one of the beautiful things about podcasting like you know I too have a blog and then then I write I try to do stuff like that but podcasting because we’re all meta talking about on the thing. The thing that we also do. People can quickly just slip over spend a few minutes to hear you in a different context and I think that helps cement I’m going to say cement people’s thinking so it’s 1 thing to hear you and I talk about something but then it’s another to also go you know like maybe go find Craig’s first episode and listen just a couple minutes to see what Craig. You know because Craig just said he thought he sounded horrible and Ken is saying he thinks he sounds horrible so they could go get a couple minutes of that without having to spend a lot of extra effort because they’re already in podcast land. So that’s 1 thing that I really like about how this show works and I’m really adamant about like give me the name of your show so people can go find it. Cool.

26:43.52
Ken
Oh that’s ah yeah, it’s oh no, it’s great I You know I Really appreciate being here. Um, and I hope people do go over and check it out because that’s why it’s there. That’s why it’s out in the.

27:02.98
Craig
You can talk right? over me, You don’t have the way for me to talk I heard you breathe in.

27:21.60
Ken
Public landscape because I want people to just see that anybody can do pretty much the things they want and if they feel any sort of Creative Spark they can they can do it and it doesn’t have to be complicated or. Ah, you know very deep. It can you know if they just feel something they can do it. Um, you know it’s something again. I said I have this this imposter syndrome like I’m not a creator.

28:28.90
Craig
May.

28:34.56
Ken
But somewhere I don’t even know how long ago it is at this point I’d have to go back and look but I just that randomly decided I am going to post a question of the day every single day on my Facebook like just a question and you. I’m gonna say 3 or 4 years later like I am a creator like I have this I have this creative and like how ah how did how did I do this like I just made a just made a decision one day.

29:41.52
Craig
You look over your shoulder like oh yeah.

29:47.74
Ken
And it’s like the middle of January I say you know what screw it I’m just going to start posting that a question of the day and in three or four years there’s a handful of repeats. But it’s amazing. How many different questions you can come up with.

30:31.52
Craig
Um, right, there’s I think it’s Stephen Priyat Steven Pressfield talks about the muse mus he which I guess could be considered misogynistic because of the gender thing but generally speaking um his idea of the muse as being this thing that you don’t have any control over um which you very much hope. That it shows up and you know gives me an idea and then he talks a lot about the care and feeding of 1 ne’s muse like you know thou shalt do certain things like for example, get in the chair if you’re a writer and show up and write or if you’re a podcast or show up in podcast or in the case you’re discussing here post the questions and. I’ve often found that I come up with questions sometimes I try to like do this on purpose but I come up with really hard interesting questions where the guests say wow okay, that’s that’s really interesting or one of the best things somebody can ever say to you on a podcast if you’re the host is. If they’ve done a million podcasts and they say wow no one’s ever asked me that before and that’s actually something I would like to talk about and I don’t know where I got mean I I know where I got the skill just do hundreds of episodes and force your brain to like do the thing so I’ve actually written blog posts about I feel like I’ve been feeding the muse by just. Sort of like standing on the precipice and you know making my brain come up with a question and it sounds like you’re doing the exact same thing. You’ve you’ve basically stood in front of that blank canvas I’m guessing you have a template in your favorite editing tool but you stand in front of that blank canvas and you’re like okay brain give me a question and it goes boop here you go and you’re just like. That’s a neat trick. Um, go ahead. But I’m just thinking like how have you like that’s a beautiful process right? have you have you tried to deploy something like that in your podcast like do you use process to create seeds for your host on mic or or something like that like have you managed to. Repurpose that thing that you’ve learned.

33:58.30
Ken
And not yet because I think I’m too early in the process. But I I do have plans for either another podcast or my current podcast to visit the the daily questions and maybe answer.

34:47.21
Craig
Me.

34:35.72
Ken
Answer the questions because some of them are yes and no questions. Others of them are you know, take a ah little bit of more thought to ah in consideration.

35:11.62
Craig
Yeah, what was I was at today’s or yesterdays I don’t want to screw it up. It was the one about the answer. What is something you should stop or take away.

35:14.70
Ken
Oh that that would that would be today’s question um today’s yeah today’s question I’m just it was what’s something you should remove today. Yeah.

35:43.24
Craig
I Don’t want to slaughter it.

36:04.48
Craig
And I liked yeah I think you commented on Facebook negative thinking and I’m like oh I love double negatives. What should I take away I should take away the negative thinking and and that sprung to mind. Actually I’m going to flip this over and say we’ve been talking a lot here about imposter syndrome and like look at that.

35:51.46
Ken
And.

36:43.50
Craig
Because I read that question like I do my homework before the show is and that rattled in my head and like stuck you know like accreted and made this little train of thought about imposter syndrome and I think there’s a lot you have going there with this, you’ve you’ve experienced the power of. Doing the small thing repeatedly I think you’re going to find you hope you’ll be hard pressed to not use that thing that you’ve learned about yourself in your podcasting journey.

37:18.20
Ken
Yeah I agree and you’re just being here is part of that journey as well because when I first saw the invitation like ah ah am I am I ready for for this. Ah am I am I ready to go on.

37:55.42
Craig
Everybody does that.

37:55.96
Ken
Someone else’s show and be ah, be talked about. And yeah.

38:16.40
Craig
Um, but nobody nobody listens to this show right? So This is this is the joke. Even my mom doesn’t listen to this show right? people who are listening. You’re not even Listening. So I I Love that people always push back and you know this is not the only show that I have where I do this format almost everybody not everybody. Almost everybody does the same thing they’re like me what would I have to talk about and I I Want to write back. Oh for crying out loud… Could you just assume that I know what I’m doing and if I invite you on this show which is just too rude. That’s me being obnoxious. Um, but I really enjoy creating like my personal mission is to create. Better conversation in the world to spread understanding and compassion and all I have to do is make this space and invite people who have interesting things to talk about whether or not they’re ready or they think they have it and then it’s like the magic happens I’m not I don’t do the magic you like the magic happens between the 2 of us. So That’s what I love about it.

39:36.18
Ken
Yeah, well well I’m not ready for any of this but you know that’s when you that’s when the best stuff comes out when you’re not ready. Well.

40:08.86
Craig
I Um, Amen I agree once more or louder for those in the back Cool Well can as much as I hate to say it every time I record one of these I’m watching our time slip Away. So I think that’s probably a good place to stop so I will just say as I always say that was fantastic i’m. Tickled that I got a chance to talk to you happy to have recorded it and I will just say thanks for joining me.

40:40.20
Ken
Well thank you for having me. It’s been fun and as always I learn a little bit about myself as I go through these little processes as well and it’s for anybody listening who might be thinking about it. It’s little steps you may be um. Advice. You’ve heard before but it’s the little steps that get you a thousand miles so so keep going with whatever you’re doing by.

41:42.40
Craig
Um, no 100% cool cool bye

1 Like