Transcript for "Breathing - with Lara Land"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.80
Craig
Hello I’m Craig Constantine welcome this is the podcaster community show short conversations that are not just about podcasting because I like to take the scenic route. Our guest today is Lara Land. Welcome Lara!

00:13.92
Lara
Hi Nice to see you and.

00:19.23
Craig
Which is kind of funny because we’ve communicated a bit in the podcasting workshop and it is always a challenge of like when you have this I’m to say switch Mediums when suddenly you see someone in person I’m looking forward to the days when you know we can start meeting people in real life again. Um I’ve had a few of those now where I’ve had a chance to meet somebody that I haven’t met before in person and. And it’s like Whoa. Um, but yeah, as usual I’m off on a tangent. Um, there’s so many things and I’m never at a loss for what to ask I’m always at a loss for what’s the best thing to ask and um, my mind is drawn toward. Connection between I’m going to say breathing but not simply the movement of air I mean about how breathing is a whole body experience for oneself about how breathing because you have a very educated I’m going to say a very knowledgeable person to talk about breathing How does. Breathing play into what you’re doing with your podcast because I’m thinking you’ve got a big head start I didn’t know how to breathe when I started podcasting and I’m wondering have you noticed that that’s helped.

01:20.83
Lara
Um, well interestingly enough I mean Breathe. There’s no right way to breathe right for… There’s no like Overall this is the way humans should be breathing. There’s There’s better ways to breathe for different activities. So You would think that I would ace this podcast breathing game. But um, no I can Ace the the yoga breathing game right? Like if I have to teach yoga breathing I can breathe great for yoga I can really nail. My. Breath and movement articulation I can teach people how to slow their breathing and calm their breathing and get their nervous systems regulated. But um I haven’t had so much experience practicing breathing and talking.

02:10.31
Craig
Um, it’s hard.

02:12.90
Lara
And especially yeah and I I tend to come up with some really long sentences when I’m doing my intros I’m like Clara you need to add more periods more commas semicolons. So um, I’ve been finding. Yeah I have to really practice I would say. I’m right now practicing less breathing and more sentence structure that gives me the space to breathe.

02:33.50
Craig
Um, that’s a good point I have um, that little thing that I said at the beginning hello I’m Greg Gonsan welcome to this my it’s it’s just in a plain text document on the side of my screen and I just change the person’s name for each one and I have it. It actually has like double spaces and. Lot of the words are spaced. You know like to tell me to slow down and capitalization and I’ve read some articles and heard some people talk about the idea of having to really rethink how we write because I’m trying like in this little. 18 line long thing I’m trying to do more than just remember what to say I’m trying to remember not just how to say it I’m trying to remember how to be when I’m saying it and I don’t know if I have a question. Um I always promise I’ll make questions. But.

03:17.68
Lara
Um, well I do think I was recording a little video for my nonprofit Three and a Half Acres Yoga

03:29.42
Craig
And.

03:32.75
Lara
A couple years back and I had written this script for it and the woman who was filming it said you might want to try reading that out loud because things sound different when we’re writing them um in our heads than when we actually say them.

03:46.60
Craig
Yeah, the the voice is that a capital v voice or little v voice. The proverbial voice really matters. Um, ah began so many questions. Um, what about. So when you’re I’m thinking about writing and basically we’re trying you and I and everybody who’s a podcaster we’re trying to perform so the reading is like a performative dramatic type of reading. But we’re also trying to perform um these are only released in audio but we can see each other in the call. So I’m also trying to be mindful of like if I stood here and and talked exactly the same way but looked like this the whole time you would be just like you’d get a different energy from me. It was a site gag and I I think I have changed a lot in the five years since I have been forced. To pay attention to how the other person is mirroring me or like how they feel or um, just the whole idea of the energy of this space. Um, and I’m I’m hoping that I’m not opening a new can of worms that you haven’t thought of I’m wondering what your thoughts are on.

04:47.69
Lara
M.

04:59.97
Craig
When you want to interview people. Do you think you’ll be able to do the job that you imagine you could do if you can only do it over virtual or are you are you like chomping it the bit to get in ah in person or are you Imagining. It’s. You’re going to be able to always do it as ah, it’s a theater show and it’s fully produced like what are your thoughts on embodying the host aspect of your show.

05:21.51
Lara
Um, well I’ve been recording with no video. Um, ah, mainly for bandwidth um I live in the great western catskills in a very. Small town called Andy’s and I don’t know we have the highest wi-fi one could have but um because my husband often works from home as well and could be on video. Um I’m just trying to get my sound right? like I’m like.

05:48.31
Craig
Um.

05:51.67
Lara
Yeah, I’m going for like the sound is not horrible like it’s It’s a low level bar right Now. Um I I don’t have any really imaginings of yeah my my sort of body um positioning as Host. Um. Where I am right now in my process is really around a the sound being like decent and getting the flow of questions out. Um I find myself I’m I’m early on in my podcasting and um I find myself thinking that I have these great. Questions like I’m listening to someone I listen to someone recently and that I interviewed like I listen to her every podcast she’s ever been on like 10 podcasts and I’m like oh I’m going to ask her things. No One’s ever asked her and it’s going to be so amazing and then it’s like it’s happening and I’m like I don’t think this is flowing the way that.

06:47.19
Craig
Um, it’s really hard. Yeah, um I have a lot to say and people who know me well know that I have a lot to say about conversation because I think my opinion.

06:48.29
Lara
I imagined it in my mind. It’s really freaking hard. It’s really hard. Yeah.

07:02.63
Craig
What literally what you and I are doing right here. This is not an interview I’m not interviewing you with my opinion. This is a conversation and I could talk at length about what I use those words and why I distinguish that and so whatever word we choose though there’s a real challenge when ah the the best. Way to explain it is remember the last you know people listening remember the last thing I went to your friend’s house back in the day and you had a really great conversation and it was really awesome. Maybe there was a glass of wine. Maybe there was a beer or whatever it was you watched a football game or there’s a social object like a board game involved. You had that great conversation. It was awesome I’ll tell you what it you did not do. You did not call them and say hey. Tuesday at three o’clock we’re going to jump on a Zoom call and we are going to have an awesome conversation. It’s gonna be done in a half out like as soon as you put the constraints on and worse. Oh I’m also going to record it that makes it really hard and to me it took me a long time to give up trying to avoid that problem and just go.

07:58.42
Craig
Yeah, this is what we’re trying to do so I’m not in any way pushing back on what you’re saying I’m I’m just saying I agree with you completely and I kind of gave up on trying to fix the problem and instead just focus on what I’m focusing on is um so weeksel you did to get to talk to Lara that’s literally what’s going on in my head I love to talk to people.

08:18.30
Craig
Um, preferably when they don’t run away screaming but ah so I don’t know if you’ve if you’ve thought about like where do you imagine your your personal experience of podcasting being or what do you imagine that would grow into after you’ve done say 10 experiences with guests or 100 like do you. Are you thinking of podcasting as a vehicle to accomplish something specific or are you thinking through the life or the personal change that’s going to happen if you keep doing it.

08:39.30
Lara
Um, um, well I mean both I got into podcasting because I’m releasing a book like early next year and it’s it’s a vehicle for promoting that book. Um. And meeting folks who are experts in the um embodiment and trauma healing space. So I mean it’s cool I get to talk to people that you know whose books I’ve read and who um, kind of like fangirl you know and.

09:17.40
Lara
Um, so that’s that’s really exciting and it’s definitely opening up my world. Um, because generally I found people really excited to be on the podcast. Um, and of course it’s learning something new I think is is really important. It’s Exciting. It’s. Terribly frustrating at the beginning but I know you know it’s like it’s not like I’ve never learned something before so I try to step back and go you know I know this is going to change and um I imagine that after 33100 shows that um it it should get a little easier.

09:37.53
Craig
Um, and brave.

09:55.40
Lara
To find the flow and and and you know to I think with the experts. Um, you know it is different than let’s have this like casual conversation because I’m really trying to get some expert knowledge out of them and maybe maybe around a ah question that. They haven’t totally considered before or that um that my guests haven’t heard the answer to before so I’m trying to think about putting some ideas together in new ways. Um, so that it could be interesting and and you know I don’t like necessarily to hear the same thing I’ve heard before. So. There’s a little bit of that going on. Um, but maybe I need to relax a little into you know, even if someone has heard something many times sometimes it’s the fifth sixth seventh time we hear it that it sinks in or we hear it in a different way or we weren’t ready for it at that moment in our lives. Yeah I’m seeing the nodding you know.

10:47.36
Craig
Right? I was I I want to interrupt you Yes, they weren’t ready for.

10:53.85
Lara
No, it’s it’s It’s so important right? and and maybe they never heard me ask it or reflect on it that way. So maybe I need to relax more into that like and it’s okay to ask a question that we’ve asked before or here’s something again and not put so much pressure on.

11:12.66
Craig
I Made a couple of couple of great points in in what you’re saying I’m hearing your awareness that what we you and I are doing like right here right now is we’re composing. Um.

11:12.70
Lara
Um, the brilliant question that no one’s asked before? yeah.

11:32.44
Craig
We’re combining your your combining sorry too many personal too many tenses and voices we’re combining each of our personal experiences and we’re trying to create something New. We’re clearly doing it on purpose since we scheduled it and it’s planned and we’re recording and that kind of composition is very different from the. Type of composition that I had practiced before I started podcasting I mean I I had done literary composition I will read the book and then write the book report. Um I had done scientific composition I have a question. How do I solve this but I really think there’s something special about composing. Um, you know, maybe in the way. I’m I’m not a dancer I’m really bad but the way 2 dancers might compose if they weren’t long-term Dance Partners. Um, so I think there’s there’s definitely um, like a practice I don’t want to say practice makes perfect, but it feels to me Like. Once you understand the basic pieces of how this works then you’re like oh I mean sometimes I step on toes Sometimes things come out wrong or questions don’t work. But there’s like a child. Maybe not childlike’s not the right word but an honest I show up honestly and tend to say.

12:45.13
Craig
I Don’t know a lot. So so I I think you’re on the right track? Um I don’t know that I have anything to say specifically about getting I was just thinking like I’ve talked a lot of experts and a lot of experts but oddly not necessarily about what they.

13:03.79
Craig
Expecting me to talk about like I mean you probably weren’t expecting me to like want to dig into teacher training but like that’s clearly something you’re expert about and we’re not talking about that. So that’s that it is I am over in a different maybe an easier more comfortable living room space I guess.

13:16.50
Lara
I mean I do envy it a little like it’s fun to talk to people and like you know you’re talking to Zuckerberg like I heard a little bit of his interview with ferris thudler day and it’s like you know, but you’re talking about like his hobby you know and I mean like. You’re not you’re not talking about the things that everyone’s asking about you know why? Facebook is tanking um am I allowed to say all that you said I could say whatever I wanted. You know what? I mean I mean there’s something I feel like yeah, that’s that’s fun. You know that’s that I mean that’s that’s awesome. That’s that unexpected, um.

13:35.38
Craig
Um, you can say that you want— I’m clapping Facebook tanking.

13:52.81
Lara
Way of going in an interview or just getting the the human out and not asking them that question about their expertise for like the hundredth time is super cool and maybe I I got to change my podcast I’m just getting and they go. Yeah.

14:03.87
Craig
Oh shit. Sorry no I didn’t mean to do that I didn’t mean to do that. Um, there is there is a magic I have too many ideas in my head I’m also running multiple trains of thought one is I’m watching the clock tick and anytime I’m talking and the clock is ticking I feel like I’m doing it wrong I think that. When I ask people about things that are adjacent to their passion. Um, like sometimes I always I don’t always sometimes I say never ask people questions about the past. So I don’t need to say to Lara how did you get into teaching yoga or how did you wind up starting that nonprofit. Have to ask that question because if you’re passionate about that. Oh you’ll tell me that story. So sometimes I think if I’m just the crazy little kid who yells yellow and crosses the street and the person that I’m talking with goes well okay, that’s kind of crazy. But that’s interesting. Let’s go see then we wind up on this journey of discovery together.

15:00.65
Craig
But it’s going to be colored by our experiences and our expertise. So if I say yolllthough I’m across the street you go. You know that’s actually an X-ray Clinic and I know all about I’m the guy that invent an X-rays My last name is Rotn I I find that we kind of so me and the guest for many times we sneak up on the awesome stuff I think.

15:07.30
Lara
Okay.

15:16.85
Lara
Yeah I believe you’re right I do.

15:18.80
Craig
So but I also but to be clear I did I hope this is weird you out I did spend the last half an hour thinking about literally nothing but you so at a half hour before the call I start you know, like by. Google and I’m on Linkedin and I read like so we’re in the podcasting course together I read all of your lessons as fast as I can I listen to your like half hour of just like loading the person into my head and then I try to just like not I don’t have pre-formed questions. So I’m probably doing a lot more research than people are thinking than than I am not.

15:37.27
Lara
Folks.

15:52.35
Craig
You because I just told you but the average person probably thinks I do these just completely cold and no.

15:56.69
Lara
Um, I’m not short for time. So if you do want to ask me about yoga or any of those things we can talk on.

16:06.49
Craig
Um, I’m I think I’m I’m torn between West cascades I fancy myself a rock climber. So I’ve been to like the shoogonks and places and but I’m some torn between outdoors stuff which I’m guessing you, you’re into.

16:19.82
Lara
Yeah.

16:24.46
Craig
Or at least attracted to if you’ve gone to the cascades. Um, if you want to do hard questions you want to ask me a question I got I got lots of hard questions. What’s um, what’s something that you think people get wrong about you.

16:28.80
Lara
Um, yeah, hard questions. Oh my gosh. Oh you went in now. Oh gosh. Okay, ah.

16:43.13
Craig
Ah, you can say I had a guest 1 time I loved them I asked him a really hard question. He went pass like like it was a game show and I was like well played you don’t have to answer that question if you don’t want to I just want to be like mindful of I can be very domineering in conversation. So I want to be mindful of.

17:00.75
Lara
Um, well I think um because I do a lot of public speaking and I went to theater school I think people think I’m a lot more like ah outgoing or um.

17:00.81
Craig
But Lara wants to do with the last few minutes

17:17.80
Lara
Maybe don’t always realize how much quiet time I need and reading and solo Time. So I’m one of those I Forget the name of and you know extrovert Introvert Whatever like you know I come off as extrovert but I really need a lot of um solo time which. Kind of ties into your other observation about my living up here and the cat skills and needing and enjoying time to hike and be out in nature. Um I’m definitely using Nature Um, as a refuge and. Enjoying and learning more about the natural world.

17:52.64
Craig
I I would put myself in the same boat I am most people would say extremely extroverted but I’m not I’m just happened to do well I’m really good in social settings. But after a few hours of that Craig needs a time out you know and like I need to go somewhere preferably outside I am.

18:07.12
Lara
I yeah.

18:12.80
Craig
Itching to go outside. We’re probably in the same weather pattern it is ridiculously gorgeous outside where I am it’s like 75 mostly sunny. The sun is shining the birds are chirp and the the everything is blasting green like as it’s rained the last two days. Um.

18:21.25
Lara
Um.

18:27.10
Lara
Now I don’t think we’re at 75 we’re always like ah ° colder than everyone else, but the sun is finally here and we don’t get a lot of sun here which is is challenging for me, we happen to be in a really cloudy Delaware County this county I live in just has lots of clouds.

18:29.20
Craig
And I have another I have another meeting. Um.

18:37.85
Craig
Home.

18:46.41
Lara
So um, I’m definitely going to enjoy at least an hour outside usually I do that with my daughter after school. Especially if it’s gorgeous, but even in the cold I will make myself get that outside time. It’s really important to me I really try to clock those outdoor hours and I’m going to take a training.

19:04.88
Craig
Move.

19:07.70
Lara
Mindful nature guide leadership in about a week So I’ll be able to guide you through your outdoor experience.

19:11.00
Craig
I want to talk about that and we have 20 seconds um we definitely need to circle back I always say I don’t know if I’ve had any repeat guests on this show definitely have to circle back and talk about that. Ah, as much as I hate because now I want to say I have a million questions I could do this all day. But. Like literally these are supposed to be bite-sized conversations with people. Um I will just say it was a distinct pleasure to get a chance to talk? Um, yeah I love um, like everybody brings an energy when I get a chance talk them and I really enjoy like hanging out with like oh yeah, we need to go outside. Unfortunately, we’re like 4 hours apart maybe more all right I will just say thanks so much for taking the time for dropping in and visiting me and I wish you the best of luck with your new podcast going forward. Thanks Lara.

20:00.23
Lara
Thank you so much. Thanks for your great insights and let’s meet halfway I’ll see you in the great outdoors bye.

20:05.38
Craig
Oh yes, please bye.