Transcript for "Breath - with Nadine Kelly"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine

00:01.54
Nadine
And I’m Nadine Kelly host of the yogi m d podcast.

00:05.69
podcomm
Welcome Nadine it’s a pleasure to get a chance to talk to you while recording I’ve talked to you a lot I’ve had a chance to see you coach probably not as often as I need to be seeing you coaching. Um, and today I got all excited because I thought let’s talk about. And sure whether to call it breathing or breath work or creating space through breathing I’ve seen you have an opportunity to do this with the coaching calls that we’ve been in for some of the akimbo courses and aside from the fact that it really like zones everybody into the same space which is great for. Having a call where we’re trying to like all learn together I also think it has um, amazing benefits just like we’re right on the spot. It’s something you can do real quick so I’m just wondering. Um I kind of think I know how you got into it since you’re also an accomplished yoga instructor. But what are your thoughts on breathing and in the context of podcasting like as somebody who also sits behind the mic and tries to guide conversations.

01:12.12
Nadine
There are so many benefits to great breathing especially for a podcaster we are doing work that tends to be pretty solitary even if it’s not solitary if you’re not doing a host on mic episode If you’re doing an interview sometimes they’re Nerbs. Involved most of the time I will say there are nerves involved no matter how long you’ve been doing it if you care about your Work. You’re nervous and so connecting with your breath is a great way to diminish the fight or flight response and boost.

01:32.44
podcomm
Um.

01:50.83
Nadine
The parasympathetic response which is rest and digest calm. It brings focus it brings clarity and it brings great preparation and we can’t really talk about good breathing without talking about great posture. So I’m super super into making sure my.

02:02.94
podcomm
Yes.

02:09.50
Nadine
Base is very comfortable too as I’m about to start my recording and my posture So am I wearing comfy Clothes. Do I have my water nearby is my chair set up correctly are my feet flat on the floor and is my spine lengthened and it’s not so Much. Just. Because you want to be stiff and really thinking about this upright posture but the good posture allows for the rib cage to be in the great place and your head to be in the right place for proper breathing to be amplified.

02:48.84
podcomm
I’m so Meta now I’m self- consciousscious um because I’m like oh no I have to talk to na solip as like before we even got on the call I’m like okay chair and my water and I’m like writing all these things and I’m like you know I should just do this all the time not just when recording podcasts because it always works out so much better.

02:49.32
Nadine
Ah.

03:02.79
Nadine
M.

03:05.99
podcomm
When I’m space because there’s room under my rib cage to in fact I have to move my chair back because I find that if I So if I tend to like Perch a little bit more on the front of the chair with what are your sip bones called get your sip bones on the chair. Yes, so.

03:19.24
Nadine
Issue teroities.

03:24.95
podcomm
Just looking at the clock. So we’re roughly 3 minutes and so those of you who are listening. We’re going to do something at the end. Not going to tell you quite what it is but you might want to if you’re mowing the lawn maybe head for the house or if you’re driving maybe try to be where you’re going in 12 minutes um and so that at the end of this you have a chance where you maybe have a little bit of space where you can sit down. Ah, for what I’d like to do at the end but having detoured to say that um I I can distinctly remember situations where I’ve done really long podcasts and I’m in that total slued sluunched slouched hunched hey new word that completely slunched over thing.

03:57.40
Nadine
But.

04:03.36
podcomm
Um, and if my memory serves your vagus nerve runs right down the center under your rib cage buried in there deep and when you lean forward and crush that with your what’s at the end of your sternum Xyphoid process. Whoo.

04:06.34
Nadine
He.

04:18.47
Nadine
Process Yes, but.

04:22.38
podcomm
Turned into a physiology podcast. Um, you don’t really, you don’t really realize you’re doing that. But then I would I would like get up and then there’d be like this not woozy but like you can totally feel the change in posture and and that was like the first time that I realized that oh I am an I am an embodied.

04:31.80
Nadine
This is.

04:41.57
podcomm
Being and if I squish the body There’s no way that I can possibly be my my best self? Um, so what? What do you think is um I was gonna say what’s like a common mistake that you see people make maybe not just in podcasting because you probably don’t.

05:00.32
Nadine
Um.

05:01.41
podcomm
But we don’t get to actually look over the shoulders of the people that they’re doing podcasting but I’m thinking maybe in yoga practices you see more people like right up close and get a chance to dissect them. That’s a little harsh but what what are common mistakes you see people make.

05:12.85
Nadine
With posture rounding of the shoulders forward slouching and forward head carriage. So having your head projecting too far forward. So think of a person who’s reading.

05:20.60
podcomm
Um.

05:32.13
Nadine
And the head is tilted and the chin is down and forward when you get into the habit of keeping your head that way that causes neck pain and discomfort and it also again impacts. Your posture the ability to breathe the ability to feel energetic because when your body is out of balance like that when your Skeleton is tilted forward. You’re asking your muscles to do more work than is necessary and it doesn’t see.

06:04.49
podcomm
Ah.

06:10.58
Nadine
Like that because oh I’m slouching So I’m not using energy That’s actually not true. You’re using more energy because your muscles are imbalanced and then you’re also taxing your joints because they’re not aligned properly.

06:25.70
podcomm
Think that’s maybe ten years ago like all right I need to like the spine is composed of a whole bunch of joints and just this morning because I do this every morning I was a know child’s pose. You know like toes straight shins flat on the floor and I just kind of like.

06:35.58
Nadine
Ehu.

06:44.92
podcomm
My way down there making a whole bunch of those old person noises right? like Er or and I get down there and it’s like well maybe I get my elbows on the front eventually I get my elbows on the floor and then it’s kind of like forearms and shins and sometimes it’s so delightful to just like shift. Ah.

06:45.70
Nadine
Ah.

06:54.57
Nadine
M.

07:02.56
podcomm
Couple of vertebrae over and you can kind of like kind of do like a little serpentine wiggle through your spine and this morning it was because of a stacking firewood yesterday this morning was like there’s just like this whole sequence of of things they didn’t hurt.

07:06.20
Nadine
Is he.

07:19.90
podcomm
And you know and and then I was like ah and then like you you just like melt and then I mean I don’t I’m not a yoga practitioner I’m I’m really bad but you know then the other things that I wanted to do were suddenly way more accessible for like range of motion and reach and I was able to breathe again and I just think.

07:30.34
Nadine
Um, this is.

07:37.60
podcomm
I Don’t know how many people who podcast ever really think about that kind of stuff I I took some taichee classes is where I learned a little bit of that and just like becoming how to do a body scan like you know, just be like how does this feel. How does that feel. Why is you know? um and I think that’s served me well when I remember to do it. So do you have? um, a pre-flight.

07:43.73
Nadine
Ah, a her.

07:56.64
podcomm
Like a mental preflight checklist before you podcast that you run through I know you’re talking about having your space arranged. But do you have like a right now before the guest shows up I’m starting at the tip of my hair and but working down or.

08:06.77
Nadine
I Actually don’t do the body skin right before I am ready to podcast I just make sure I’m calm I make sure again them. So you mentioned the environment is comfortable but also because I’m a person who likes to be prepared. And that’s the other part. Good part about yoga is cultivating more Self-awareness I know that what is going to help me remain calm is having everything on hand that I need so on my screen I will have my.

08:27.97
podcomm
Um.

08:42.40
Nadine
Little zoom I typically do my interviews by Zoom. So I’ll typically have that at the top and then on the bottom adjacent to one another I will have my notes and I have really gotten away from scripted questions and having to read questions. It’s just a roadmap. So just a few words bullet points. So that’s open on the left and then on the right next to it is audacity I have that open so that I can record myself on audacity as a backup and then I know that. I don’t have to worry. So then the breathing is easier. The posture is easier I don’t feel tension and that’s really how I prepare beforehand.

09:27.23
podcomm
I’m thinking the the practice of no practice like yeah, that sounds exactly like Chopwood carry water sort of done this enough that I should be able to get out of my own way I think that’s a very enlightened.

09:40.91
Nadine
Another thing that I have just started doing Well I can’t say just it’s been a month Now. So I I believe it’s ah it’s definitely a habit that I’ve established now this has made quite a difference for me in my energy I used to wait or fit. My workouts into my day if that makes sense. So Oh I have this pocket of time I’ll fit it in here. But as of late I’ve started getting up in the morning I still drink my coffee I Love my coffee So I’ll have my cup of coffee.

10:07.33
podcomm
Um, vision.

10:19.33
Nadine
While I’m answering emails and looking over various akimba workshops because I’m a coach and a couple and right after the coffee and I’m done with my administrative few things for a few moments. So maybe a half hour then I go straight to my workout and I’ve been doing. Moderate to intense workouts six days a week at this point for the last month or so and it has changed my general state on a regular basis noticeably so I don’t feel. As lethargic say if I’m going to do a 2 or three o’clock in the afternoon podcast interview. You know we normally have that slump because of that workout it just gives me more energy. So I found that that preparation even though I didn’t necessarily plan for it that way.

11:01.16
podcomm
Um.

11:15.68
podcomm
That is a very I Um, my wife and I I don’t like to run I hate running I’m not I’m not shaped like a runner I mean I’m shaped like a human but I’m not really shaped like a runner. But.

11:16.18
Nadine
Has made quite a difference.

11:25.72
Nadine
And.

11:32.10
podcomm
Yeah, on the mornings where you know ships should be like so I think I’m running this morning which is her way of saying you should get up from your desk and you sir should run you know and on the mornings when I drag myself out there and do it. Yeah, it changes the.

11:47.85
Nadine
Is here e.

11:48.52
podcomm
Changes The tone of the whole day. There’s just something I mean part of it is is like rock Star I did it. You know it was like not telling you how slow I run you know, but but like well if I can do that I can remember to sit up straight and breathe. And yeah.

12:04.14
Nadine
It’s important. Yeah yeah, no I like where you’re going with that because yes that the breathing and the better posture. Not only provides the physical benefits but there are the mental. And emotional benefits. It does boost your confidence. It does make you feel like a rock star.

12:18.30
podcomm
Yeah, you mentioned parasympathetic and ah ah like yes, there’s something about when you finish running or or whatever I mean you could just lay on your back and and do you know? um my brain doesn’t work. What’s the the corpse pose there’s and Sava Saana he’s late

12:32.78
Nadine
Um, ah savasana.

12:37.36
podcomm
Yeah savasana and and just practice breathing and and like you can you can do other simple poses that that activate and and move the blood and breath and then and then when you when you finish that your body automatically goes and parasympathetic like you just automatically get that Yin-yann balance.

12:44.31
Nadine
Absolutely. Um, it.

12:56.69
podcomm
Brain’s all over the place. Um, okay I asked you about the joy of we’re not editing I asked you about what common mistakes you see people make and I think it was pretty clear that like if you can only do 1 thing be like fix your posture and spend some time doing a little breathing like if you’re a podcaster and you’re about to press.

13:05.73
Nadine
E.

13:11.25
Nadine
Yeah, yeah, oh and can I say 1 quick thing while I’m thinking about that. So not only does it sitting up nice and tall or standing nice and tall benefit your posture. It increases your focus. It’s just good physically.

13:15.87
podcomm
Record. Absolutely.

13:30.15
Nadine
It’s good mentally. It’s good energetically. But here’s something that a lot of people ask me about in yoga classes. Nadine let’s do some core work and I always tell them if you sit up straight and if you stand stand straight you are strengthening your core. So.

13:44.79
podcomm
Core work. Yeah, that’s a great point. There’s also I was just thinking. Um I’m at meta I’m laughing because Nadine can see me right. I’m I’m animated. You know like I’m Craig is italian and there’s like going to keep nothing within two feet or I’ll wipe it out and the microphone is very carefully placed so that it don’t smack it with my hands cannot be on the desk in front of me. But I find that if I I once tried to do I think I did 4 full-length interviews in one day and and first of all, you know I was physically exhausted but the guests people generally are really good at picking up on how you really are like how you really are feeling how you really are energized how you really are breathing and no matter how much you want like in that.

14:18.15
Nadine
Um.

14:37.73
podcomm
Case no matter how much I wanted to show up for that last interview I was just burnt um and as soon as I change my posture even if I move the mic down. So I sound the same as soon as I change my posture like this. It’s it’s the other person. It’s almost like we have millions of years of evolution learning to read other people.

14:48.36
Nadine
We can tell he.

14:55.87
podcomm
So I think that it’s it’s contagious in that way too. If you know the 2 of us are smiling and and upbeat and upright and breathing then it’s infectious and people probably I would assume can hear it. Um. And my brain just went I’ve been saying for years that there’s something about the auditory medium and I think it has to do with the fact that our ears are connected to a very old part of our brain that auditory is very good audio it really draws you in and it can be very common can also be very exciting.

15:16.10
Nadine
E.

15:28.87
podcomm
Um, but now I’m thinking. There’s also an aspect of breath work like even if you can’t hear me breathe I don’t know if that’ll survive the gate filter. But even if you can’t hear me Breathing. You can tell when I pause and take a deep breath and and that’s also I think that I think that’s also got to come through. To the person on the other side. The person listening to your work. They’re they’re going to hear that the gut say it.

15:54.14
Nadine
That’s so fascinating Craig we’ve waited too long to talk to each other but okay I just did a show I have a companion show to my podcast. It’s called notable quotables.

15:58.50
podcomm
Ah.

16:09.73
Nadine
And for that I do video I always do video but I actually transmit the video or publish the video on Youtube for notable quotables because it’s about talking to my listeners and getting the feedback from them. What did they learn from the previous episode what that they like.

16:23.24
podcomm
Um.

16:28.99
Nadine
What’s a takeaway and I get to learn more and it gives me more information about my podcasting and how to get better, but 1 of my recent guests said to me I didn’t necessarily know that this would happen but it was intuition. I did an episode about the strong black woman syndrome and how stressful that is and I had a therapist on and I had my sister on so 2 generations talking about that from their perspective and so as you can probably tell it was a heavy episode. It was.

17:03.88
podcomm
Good stuff right.

17:05.62
Nadine
He’ll say heavy subject. So I as you know I’m I’m a drummer and I’ve been playing with music for my podcast episodes and 1 of my songs that I did has us has me sighing in it. So when I was putting in the transitions for the strong black woman syndrome something told me to put in that breath that sighing and so I did and my guest said oh my god thank you for putting that in she brought it up.

17:42.58
podcomm
Um.

17:44.98
Nadine
She said because when it came I needed it and I was ready for it I needed to take a breath I needed to take that pause to process what was happening what what the guests were saying so yes, the breath is important Craig yes, it is.

17:59.78
podcomm
Yeah, my least favorite part is that I have to talk I got say something but nothing I can say can fall. That’s I just leave the biggest pregnant pause I can stand and and then I wreck it? Um, yes, totally so dear letro I’m like. Ah wow look at how much time has gone by um, hopefully you have found your way to a space maybe with a chair It’s probably a little easier to do sitting down. So I I warned Nadine in advance I said hey could you so I would like you the people listening to follow along with us here and let’s just. Let’s just give this a try.

18:39.56
Nadine
Sit comfortably and tall in your chair stack your shoulders over your hips and make sure that your head is centered over your pelvis The back of your head is lined up with the back of your pelvis or your sacrum. Lengthen your neck relax your jaw and tongue relax your forehead make a very small space between your teeth relax your hands in your lap stack your knees over your ankles. And simply for now notice. There’s no need to control. There’s no need to do anything differently or change anything differently in this moment simply notice the gentle Rise from Belly to chest as you breathe in and the gentle fall from chest. Belly as you breathe out at this point if it feels Comfortable. You can close your eyes if that’s uncomfortable simply soften your focus and look down.

19:56.27
Nadine
Now Picture a teardroped shaped balloon. The bottom of the balloon surrounds your abdomen The top of the balloon comes around your rib cuge and ties in between your collarbones. Inhale to fill your balloon from bottom to top. Exhale to deflate from top to bottom.

20:28.90
Nadine
You’re breathing in and out through your nose unless you’re congested.

20:38.82
Nadine
The breath is slow deep continuous with our pause soundless and even. On the inhale and the exhale.