Transcript - "Connection - with Bryon Howard"

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

00:00.00
podcomm
Hello I’m Craig Constantine hi Brian thanks for jumping in sometimes I have to hound people but you’re one of but I say one of my favorite guests. You’re the kind of person who when I say hey would you? you’re like absolutely I’m on that. So it’s just fun to.

00:01.46
Bryon Howard
Um, hi I’m Brian Howard

00:19.61
podcomm
Continuously exposed to people who are over the top passionate. You know, good way about what can I do to you know, bring my message to the world. So thanks for taking the time to talk with me today I yes, yes.

00:29.95
Bryon Howard
Craig we’ve known or met each other twenty five months ago when I started podcasting with Seth’s godons akimbo group and I’ve been a fan of yours since day one.

00:38.74
podcomm
Ah, thank you, You’re too nice. Thank you So I took I always paused because it’s It’s not the name changed. It’s now called the podcasting fellowship. It used to be used to be called the podcasting fellowship Now it’s called podcasting workshop that they they change the name so you and I were in. Yeah they don’t call it.

00:54.51
Bryon Howard
Um, oh is that right? oh.

00:58.96
podcomm
Tpf anymore now it’s p Od so they’re like in pod nine. Um, so you and I were in T P f three and I I went in the people need the story but I went in I already had a podcast and I was like wait you can take courses So like I ran in and there were like hundreds of people yourself included. Um.

01:03.48
Bryon Howard
Yeah.

01:15.90
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

01:18.17
podcomm
And I was just like this is great and I got a chance to like rip my show apart and redo all kinds of things and had so much fun. Um that I’ve been back for everyone since as a remarkable to help out. But anyway I digress in these little precalls the guests. Um, don’t hear like the people listening have heard me say this a million times to do a little conversation beforehand and I basically say podcasting.

01:26.12
Bryon Howard
Cool.

01:38.90
podcomm
And then we see what comes out and you actually had um the experience of basically suggesting to your son I think you should take this course and you you signed him up for tpf two and he like kind of went and and didn’t do anything with it and then you came back for t p f three and. When I said podcasting you immediately mentioned akimbo which is the parent company that runs the course you mentioned akimbo and you started to tell me about I’m going to say I think you actually use the word the magic of the community and I’m sitting here blabbering on about how much I love finding passionate people to share. Which is also me talking about community. So do you remember like you know it’s 2 years right? But do you remember when you were looking at the podcast fellowship course. Did you realize that it was going to be a community of people or were you just seeing this looks like a good. Place to learn how you see when I’m at I’m asking.

02:33.51
Bryon Howard
I Was yeah when I was just no I knew nothing about the community and it was actually um and it was just a good place to learn the skill of like what is podcasting and like how does one do this. So That’s when I I encourage my son to start a podcast and um. Because I thought it was exciting and cool and um and then I signed him up for it and again he did nothing with it and then I thought okay I’m going to get that skill and I signed up.

03:00.41
podcomm
Did you so I’m trying not to put words in your mouth because I’ve I’ve seen a lot of people take the particular course and I noticed that there’s like a vacuum that’s created so you show up. And well first when you show up, there’s nothing to do and you’re like you know you’re milling around in the hallway and then the the first lesson comes out and you’re like okay I read it and and but now what like I feel like I should push a button or pull a lever. There’s something I should do and then it it kind of just sits there and then you’re like well I guess I just. Push this button and type in and it like sucks you in like when you start doing the thing but you basically start on day one it like pulls you in and I’m wondering. Did you realize that you needed to be pulled forward or.

03:43.81
Bryon Howard
You hear.

03:56.29
podcomm
Did you have like energy and you didn’t know which direction to go with it.

03:57.94
Bryon Howard
Um, um, yeah I would say that I had like a thought or a wish or a hope to do something with it and then and I was sort of paying attention from day one and like committing to you know, maybe do the exercises and then it was I think was it if was it a five week course I just forget.

04:15.38
podcomm
Um, yeah, it’s seven week five lessons a weekday for seven weeks it’s thirty five lessons

04:16.94
Bryon Howard
Um, or for that two months yeah so I was sort of mostly doing everything and then um, but by the end of the the course I hadn’t quite launched the show and um and but then I kind of got invited by. But I really kept in contact with like the magic people and I think of all of them and smile and the moment I think of those people and you being one of them. Um, that you know offered me feedback along the way and and then I got carried on and I was at that real tipping point of am I doing this or am I not.

04:39.35
podcomm
Move this.

04:54.59
podcomm
M.

04:56.35
Bryon Howard
And it was the people. Um that ah that I kept doing it.

04:59.34
podcomm
Um, did you find um say you know dumbbar’s number like 120 or hundred some. You know my monkey brain can only hold one ah hundred monkey brain you know connections. Um, how big would you say I don’t have to name names but you can. How big would you say was the core group of people that you really felt like okay if those people hadn’t been there if I’d been missing one of those or 2 of those I wouldn’t have made it and what I’m wondering is if somebody is listening and they don’t have you know like this isn’t an ad for akimbo. There’s no I don’t get any kickbacks. But if they don’t have a cohort They don’t have their.

05:31.70
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

05:37.14
podcomm
Social group like how many people do you really feel like you needed to have enough like all right. There’s energy. There’s synergy happening here. Do you have an idea.

05:44.38
Bryon Howard
Yeah I do absolutely so probably like for me it was like 4 people. Um, but then the the other maybe 7 people or maybe just the other 4 people like was was pretty key as well. Yeah, like the four like there was Davis and Maria and Diane.

05:55.39
podcomm
Yeah, four plus.

06:03.85
Bryon Howard
Um, and those are the 3 keys for me that like I just really paid attention to everything they did and then there was a lesser extent at the time you and Suzanne Mueller and you know I think a few other people that like were really um, you know I was watching and thinking I yeah pushed them along and they pushed me and.

06:21.60
podcomm
Yeah, it’s It’s really neat to see um on one hand you know the coaches and the remarkables who are helping them were trying on one hand we’re like yeah I know what the answer is I wanted to just just do this.

06:23.13
Bryon Howard
Yeah.

06:37.33
podcomm
But to to create the space for the students and for you know it’s not even really students. It’s everybody who’s just there in the room create the space for them to discover things on their own. Do you think that there um was there something that. Surprised you in the experience of taking the course that was I’m going to say like you know this surprised me and if I hadn’t seen that it might have been. You know that might have been the tipping point like having seen that was enough to really make me believe I could do this.

07:08.39
Bryon Howard
Yeah I don’t know if I know like for me it wasn’t a surprise. It was um, like you know I knew the work had to be done but I guess what was surprising is the the warmth that I felt for the group and like the process I Guess there was a surprise in that. Like I know that it’s a skill that you know that well I can learn if I have the discipline I can do it and um and I guess I you know was think the surprise came out a little bit that I can do this as a hobby and it doesn’t have to be money making thing and um. And I have this community. Yeah, there was surprises that you know it’s just it’s a hobby and like the the you know doing it for fun out of curiousness and interest and and then the support of the group I guess it was surprising that. It was really the support of the group is why I continue to podcast today. Yeah I have 2 shows Now. So there a show that I like being I guess type a type personality I’m a real estate Agent. Um.

08:07.71
podcomm
So what tell me the name of your show even even better. Tell me both of their names.

08:20.27
podcomm
He.

08:22.99
Bryon Howard
You know I have to I have to like be in type a I have to um, sort of monetize I can’t do anything that’s not worth like something or I suppose we’re all a bit like that. But my real estate show I live in Calgary alberta and my real estate show is called Calgary living real estate and lifestyle. And so why real estate and lifestyle. Well I mean well I guess you know it’s an interest of mine lifestyle actually of course and and this city is a great place and but I you know I could have podcasted on I don’t maybe just the mountains or a particular mountain or a national park or something. But I and and that was the first show to think that maybe I will get business from this and I have so that’s good news but the second show is very much um about um about ah capitalizing on my ah on on you know my career I guess um, but it’s it’s um. And it’s you know, really directed to capitalize on my career but it’s really a a sense of curiousness and interest in people. The second showll is called why I joined Exp Realty

09:29.21
podcomm
Um, do you remember if this has happened it probably is do you remember the first time somebody walked up to you and went oh you’re the guy from the podcast with the and or like they recognize the sound of your voice. Do you remember the first time you get surprised by a listener.

09:38.97
Bryon Howard
Yeah, you know that hasn’t happened a lot to be honest, but what has happened a lot is oh I like your show you know or ah like ah and I’m still surprised you listen you know I shouldn’t say that but um.

09:46.33
podcomm
Um.

09:55.36
Bryon Howard
Yeah, though, it’s ah it’s ah it’s yeah I do remember those kind of ah interactions for sure and I still I still do and like I I my go warm every time.

09:59.76
podcomm
It breaks the I say it breaks it surprises you every time yeahp it breaks my imposter bubble every time somebody walks up to me and and like it doesn’t happen every day but I tend to travel and I’ll be at a large like a parkor event or something and somebody will walk up to me and say hey I really enjoyed epi subrual and I’m like. Wow. Okay I mean because in my mind I’m doing the math I’m going if 1 person says that was really cool. How many people are out there who you know like there’s got to be at least 10 for everyone that sends me a Dm or something so I always I always think it’s really great. First of all to get feedback. Um.

10:23.88
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

10:30.48
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

10:37.96
podcomm
But I also try to encourage people to like if you get 1 bit of good feedback. There’s a whole lot that you haven’t heard from like 1 of my shows has something like 40000 downloads it’s it’s hard to even count anymore long story and I think I have 7 Apple Reviews you know like it’s just like but it’s like my brain goes.

10:48.93
Bryon Howard
Um, awesome. Um, that’s incredible. Um.

10:57.58
podcomm
7 really There’s only 7 and then I’m like wait wait wait wait how many like all right, that’s somebody who really like that person really loved it. So how many people are there who go well that’s really cool thanks or or. But I’m really hoping is that they get distracted midway like they encounter an idea. That’s so fun or so exciting that they like slap their headphones off and run out and go you know, try whatever or talk to somebody else that I think is the the power of of like being able to spread ideas. Um, but yeah, um.

11:18.72
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

11:23.99
Bryon Howard
Um, what are your podcasts called right now.

11:29.22
podcomm
I keep joking we need a podcaster’s anonymous but I don’t mean to like diminish the you know complexity of addiction but hi I’m Craig I have a podcast I have 3 of them at the moment I have the um the main one which is called mover’s mindset which everybody listening will be like oh god shut up about mover’s mindset.

11:39.92
Bryon Howard
Oh and all yeah.

11:45.30
podcomm
And in that one I talk with movement enthusiasts to find out who they are what they do and why they do it I have one schedule for tomorrow I try to record in person. We’re up to 103 out 104 is being edited. Um and that one is super fun. Have been like various countries. Recording and that one I’m starting to do short form now where I’m trying to record over the internet I don’t like recording like it’s a different kind of thing. So I’m kind of getting used to like oh I want to like I want to like hit stop and go get a cup of coffee Brian you know like ah and you can’t do that with the virtual ones. So mover’s mindset is this big giant juggernaut.

12:09.55
Bryon Howard
And.

12:17.30
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

12:23.13
podcomm
Um, we’ve been transcribing all the stuff for over a million words of transcripts that are on their website. It’s huge and then the next project that got out of hand was called little box of quotes I I’m a nut about collecting quotes I have like 7 800 quotes that I collected on ongoing.

12:26.20
Bryon Howard
Wow.

12:39.90
podcomm
And it’s a daily show and it’s 30 like 30 seconds a minute of just me going hello Craig here today. My little box quotes and then I just read one of my quotes and I hit stop. There’s like so like 600 of those out. Um, and then this show that we’re doing now this is turning into the Craig Monologue the podcaster community.

12:45.65
Bryon Howard
Um, really, that’s good.

12:56.87
podcomm
This companion podcast is me literally just trying to rope other people who are passionate about podcasting into talking to me about podcasting that’s that’s all I’m doing is I just you know I want to talk to people. Um, and I love like Calgary is not that far I could get to Calgary but sometimes I’m talking to people I’m like okay. Um, not going to go to New Zealand just to have a 10 minute conversation with someone. So I love that you know we can just pull this together and hit record and um work magic in 20 minutes I think so those are my 3 current ones now flip it around go and go.

13:19.76
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah, so with I want to yeah I hope it’s okay I I I have um I have a show I’m interviewing the maral candidates for calggar. We have an election here on October eighteenth and so so think yeah a year so eighteen months or something since covid started. Everything’s been by Zoom prior to that I was doing inperson but I have a mayor candidate who wants to do an in-person meeting with me on Tuesday I’m scared I forget how I mean I’m not scared of the interaction but like Zoom made it so easy for me.

13:41.30
podcomm
And um.

13:49.43
podcomm
Um, well. Yeah, yeah.

13:57.77
Bryon Howard
So um, that um, you know I have that mic for and I remember talking to you you know which one would I get and um and I haven’t used it.

14:03.27
podcomm
I mean the yeah I mean like you know, the first thing I would say is remember to wear pants. That’s always the first rule. The second rule is take your gear out and find somebody either your son or or whatever just you know, grab we’re in a person who is gullible and say we’re going to go pretend. We’re doing this thing and.

14:16.25
Bryon Howard
Now.

14:21.48
podcomm
You know, just go out and do it and just try one and see what you get? um and you’ll be like oh crap I forgot batteries or you know or whatever. Um, yeah, iron the kinks out of it. Um, and then the third thing is you know fake it like you know when when things go wrong, you’re like oh that happens sometimes here’s how we you know, just just like act like you know what you’re doing because you do know what you’re doing so um.

14:25.65
Bryon Howard
Are.

14:37.18
Bryon Howard
Um, sure it’s really it’s just a note.

14:40.23
podcomm
Yeah I think that’s ah I mean in terms of the the actual logistics of of covid and stuff like I have this I use these mics. Not this specific one but I use these mics in person and I have clean like fresh pop filters. You know so like i. Open a ziploc bag and the guest like you know, picks their filter out because like you got to sit within a couple inches of the thing for an hour so I give them like a queen pop filter. Um, because I’ve done several recordings during the pandemic where I’ve gone into like Philadelphia which was a covid hotspot.

14:58.77
Bryon Howard
Um, right.

15:06.72
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah, yeah.

15:11.76
podcomm
And we recorded with masks in addition to clean filters and we’re outside in a public Park. So I think it’s It’s just a matter of like well why you know why do you want to record in person and as long as you have a clear answer to that then the rest of it becomes just simple challenges like okay into this I was surprised I’ve had people. Record with masks on and it actually works pretty Well, it turns out, it’s like the best pop filter in the world If you put the mask on their face like like when I put my hand in front of the mic. The volume goes down but it doesn’t sound terribly different right? So as long as I don’t as long as I don’t mess up my lip movement you know My’re gonna roll join.

15:35.46
Bryon Howard
Um, really wow Yeah, no.

15:48.86
podcomm
But just how I literally have my hand in between me and the mic and the the mask would let far more sound through and when I take my hand away. Yes, it’s like oh yeah, when I pull my hand away you hear the difference but it really doesn’t wreck everything to have a piece of cloth in front of the microphone. Um.

16:03.15
Bryon Howard
Um, well, that’s really cool.

16:05.64
podcomm
So just little things like go try that with your son like here put this mask on and then you know you can say to the guest like you know are you? okay and and you know you can be six eight feet apart you know they sit directly in front of each other and try and spit on each other. You can you can actually sit side by side or on an angle like whatever you have to to be comfortable.

16:15.95
Bryon Howard
Um, noon 10

16:22.92
podcomm
I think it’s way more important that people approach you know challenges and risks rationally and if you’re like okay we currently have like an outbreak here and we’re going to um, let’s not do the recording this week let’s all get our covid test. That’s the other thing like you know make sure I would say you know make sure you have recent covid test and like I don’t have it. You don’t have it.

16:33.70
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

16:40.63
podcomm
We’re good to take our masks off for 20 minutes while we do this interview because the magic of sound. Um I talk about this all the time but the magic of the sound comes through um there, there’s no virtual recording that is as good as a live recording because the timing you know the the timing is 0 like you’re.

16:42.20
Bryon Howard
Um, he.

16:59.85
podcomm
You know you laugh and a thing and it’s like right together and you’re sharing the same space the sunshine the shade the the sounds the planes like all that ambiance is make helps co-create a shared experience and you don’t get that through zoome. That’s my diatribe.

17:11.80
Bryon Howard
Um, that’s awesome I’m I appreciate that and where should I do it should I Do you ever do them outside your.

17:18.50
podcomm
Oh it’s that’s ah, that’s a great question Brian um, so ah, you can do them outside I’ve done them in people’s houses outside done them and I did one in a noisy ymca like main meeting hall and it was loud. Um, and. Yeah, so you can do them anywhere the thing to just keep in mind is like if you’re outside so they call field recordings. You know, shit’s gonna happen and when it does you just kind of go and we’re back so I was saying you know like you just like let it happen but you have to you have to tell the guest you have to tell the guest.

17:52.92
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

17:58.40
podcomm
Up front hey some Kidss Goingnna combine and pick his nose or like some loud car is going to drag race we’re just going to ignore that we’re just going to pause we’re going to let that happen and they’re going to go back to work and in editing you just like snip like you know 30 seconds cut it right out, you know so that you know crap happens but most of the time crap doesn’t happen and you’re going to have a whole bunch of good tape.

18:03.28
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah.

18:09.55
Bryon Howard
Um, yeah. Right.

18:18.40
podcomm
And a little bit you snip out and that’s my ¢2 you can. Also you can hear it you know, put your you know if you if you get a chance go early, but um, you put your headphones on turn your mic on. What do you hear? Oh I didn’t notice. There was you know a highway right? behind me or whatever. So yeah, it’s it’s always an experience I love the challenge.

18:19.96
Bryon Howard
Um, good.

18:36.59
podcomm
It’s not obvious I love the fun Bart. Ah this is turns into the Craig it turns into the Brian Interviews Craig show. Um I pulled my headphones off my ear and got ah a like oh wow this is a hot room. This is a set of a k g.

18:37.27
Bryon Howard
Um, tell me about the headphones you have on right now.

18:55.60
podcomm
Um, remember I’ve had these for 20 years k 73 great pair of broadcast semilosed so mostly isolating I only hear what’s in the headphones really nice set of headphones I’ve had forever these new year.

19:05.95
Bryon Howard
Um, ah.

19:13.90
podcomm
Replaceably your muffs and the cord is detachable I love them if you’re listening. There is a k two seven zero instead of a two seventy one which is almost identical and I saw him on Amazon for like seventy us dollars a few weeks ago comes in a case and everything and they’re really good.

19:25.42
Bryon Howard
Um, is.

19:31.25
podcomm
The difference is theyre what’s called open back meaning you can hear right through them. Um, so those I like these I look like a dork like when I’m in a park and I was a guy with a headphones but it cuts this the real world out and then if I hear it I know the mic is hearing it like.

19:43.11
Bryon Howard
Me.

19:49.22
podcomm
You know the the screaming baby off to the side that you would hear because human ears are awesome. The mic might not hear that so I really like a good set of closed headphones so that I only hear you know like this is actually a pretty quiet recording I’m not hearing anything from your side and it’s pretty quiet over here. So that’s my two seventy ones

19:50.64
Bryon Howard
Right.

20:03.70
Bryon Howard
Um, Meet. Um, should I get it here.

20:08.12
podcomm
Ah, love them anyway. Um, um I but I wouldn’t I wouldn’t gear I wouldn’t gear out you know, like if you if you got if your system if you like it and you’re comfortable. Go with that especially because you’re going to go do some that that matter.

20:16.43
Bryon Howard
Um, it’s working. Yeah.

20:22.29
podcomm
Um, for political purposes like you want to you want to nail those you don’t want to like I would say drop it. You don’t want drop that on the floor because it’s a rare chance to capture something important and the worst is if you’re trying to do 5 candidates and you drop one of them. You’re like oh what do I do now and like you do it over so I would stick with the gear that you got but I would just go out and do do a test run. Yeah.

20:28.64
Bryon Howard
Are.

20:34.41
Bryon Howard
Um, right? okay practice. Yeah I will.

20:41.63
podcomm
All right? Well thank you for interviewing me and having me on your show Brian. So yeah I think this is a great place to stop I try and stop at 20 minutes so I will just say it was a pleasure. Thanks for taking the time Brian.

20:43.90
Bryon Howard
Um, hang time Craig Lo no this has been fun.

20:54.98
Bryon Howard
Um, Craig peace out. Thank you very much. It’s really great to see you nice to connect again.